Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Curling is accessible anyplace that has an ice center. I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and play in a weekly curling league.

There's a curling center near me I should really check out, but I only seem to remember it exists every four years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

The dancing horses thing is super off, BUT I must profess that you are given a random dressage horse at the olympics. So if you MERELY are in with a weirdo horse lady you live near you could conceivably have access to and train to qualify for it.

Much in the same way you aren't training for any of those skiing events without either serious cash or just happening to somehow be in with a ski lodge owner or something.

Wasn't there some big deal last Olympics with a dessage horse that refused to uh, dessage, for anyone to the point that someone started hitting the horse? Or maybe that was in the Pentathlon.

Edit: This will be the last Olympic Pentathlon with horses. In the future they'll be obstacle courses instead.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 20, 2024

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Wasn't there some big deal last Olympics with a dessage horse that refused to uh, dessage, for anyone to the point that someone started hitting the horse?

Yeah. So in one of the horse events, they tried to eliminate money bias by randomly assigning all the horses. The favourite got a horse that just loving hated her and ruined her entire Olympics.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nobody said biathlon?

I feel like half the countries in the world this sport is actually illegal. Cross country ski and then fire a gun randomly at things

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Curling is extremely boring to do and even worse to watch idk why goons are so obsessed with it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Because half of us are in our 40s and out of shape and we still think with the proper amount of desire we could get out there and win gold in curling.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Curling is fascinating in a way I can’t explain and watching it for a few hours every 4 years is satisfying.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Curling rules.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

indigi posted:

Curling is extremely boring to do and even worse to watch idk why goons are so obsessed with it
Mods?!?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

tarbrush posted:

Yeah. So in one of the horse events, they tried to eliminate money bias by randomly assigning all the horses. The favourite got a horse that just loving hated her and ruined her entire Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYUFr4r4pUs

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Man I couldn't imagine it if it WASN'T a living breathing creature.

Like, I would be dumbfounded if they said to the downhill skiers you get a random brand of skis. They'd probably go apeshit if you randomly assigned their POLES.

WTF man

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Summer Olympics should have skeet surfing, change my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WFHnHYmmsY

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Skeet surfing is summer biathlon change my mind

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

indigi posted:

Sports that involve shooting the poo poo while drinking beer during the game own*, hth

*Not golf.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

The dancing horses thing is super off, BUT I must profess that you are given a random dressage horse at the olympics. So if you MERELY are in with a weirdo horse lady you live near you could conceivably have access to and train to qualify for it.

Much in the same way you aren't training for any of those skiing events without either serious cash or just happening to somehow be in with a ski lodge owner or something.

Ok but the last dressage gold medalist got her first pony at the age of five lol.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ok but the last dressage gold medalist got her first pony at the age of five lol.

Oh of course, I'm just saying I could see a way that someone without a 9 digit endowment could somehow end up there.

Anyway, let's make fun of Adam Gase

https://x.com/LeVeonBell/status/1803835618222374962

Follow ups:

quote:

that’s a HALF BACK DIVE FROM SHOTGUN for the people that doesn’t understand what that fully means … lol

Sam would be saying the play out loud just shakin his head in the huddle .. lol

“LeV I just need you to get 3 for a third and manageable” - Gase

the reasoning behind the HB dive 😂 I kid you not

Nov 6, 2002

https://x.com/nfl_memes/status/1332028204064907264

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The man is not kidding btw:

Jets had 133 plays on 2nd and 10+ and ran on 54 of them.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 20, 2024

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

indigi posted:

Curling is fun to watch because it's slow paced enough that the announcers have time to talk through exactly what the shot should be and draw it out on the telestrator. So even a newbie can follow along and know if someone hosed up or made a great shot as it develops rather than depend on the announcers to tell you after the fact what just happened.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Someone post the gif

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

pseudodragon posted:

Curling is fun to watch because it's slow paced enough that the announcers have time to talk through exactly what the shot should be and draw it out on the telestrator. So even a newbie can follow along and know if someone hosed up or made a great shot as it develops rather than depend on the announcers to tell you after the fact what just happened.

that's fair but also explaining something boring in great detail doesn't actually make it less boring, to me. in fact, it usually has the opposite effect

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I feel like a lot of the downhill winter games are at least as inaccessible as the horse poo poo. Unless you live in one of the couple cities with training facilities for crap like bobsled / luge / skeleton / ski jump how do you even get started. Even the more mundane sports like skiing and snowboarding require you to live near a ski resort, plus skiing is expensive as hell even if you aren't training constantly for the Olympics. It's a huge barrier to entry compared to like, swimming or track and field or ice skating.

How many young people are out there right now seriously trying for the national bobsled team. Like, 20, total?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

indigi posted:

that's fair but also explaining something boring in great detail doesn't actually make it less boring, to me. in fact, it usually has the opposite effect

this is why golf is a perfect sport to watch in the spring on your couch

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I literally smell like horses, and this could be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Docjowles posted:

How many young people are out there right now seriously trying for the national bobsled team. Like, 20, total?

I’m sensing a new goon project!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kalli posted:

Oh of course, I'm just saying I could see a way that someone without a 9 digit endowment could somehow end up there.

Anyway, let's make fun of Adam Gase

https://x.com/LeVeonBell/status/1803835618222374962

Follow ups:

The Jets hired a guy their divisional rival just fired to develop Sam Darnold.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://x.com/NFL/status/1803870815114395689

Nov 6, 2002

Docjowles posted:

I feel like a lot of the downhill winter games are at least as inaccessible as the horse poo poo. Unless you live in one of the couple cities with training facilities for crap like bobsled / luge / skeleton / ski jump how do you even get started. Even the more mundane sports like skiing and snowboarding require you to live near a ski resort, plus skiing is expensive as hell even if you aren't training constantly for the Olympics. It's a huge barrier to entry compared to like, swimming or track and field or ice skating.

Almost the entirety of the Winter Olympics is for people who grew up extremely privileged or happened to live in very specific climates. It's the Olympics for the rich.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Someone post the gif

https://i.imgur.com/rxq8Knr.mp4

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Whatever, I am fine with their strategy of retaining what few players they have with baseline NFL competence as they try to rebuild one of the worst rosters in the league. They have a shitload of cap space and nothing better to spend it on. All the top flight free agents got tagged or extended by their teams.

Looks like a typical RB contract puffed up with tons of incentives he will never hit (bonuses for making pro bowl/all pro, 1400 / 1500 / 1600 yards etc). In 3 seasons he's exceeded 900 total yards once. I'm sure they can easily move on after 2025 if they want to.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Winter Olympics rules though

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The thing about the Winter Olympics is that, apart from hockey, all the sports are never on TV in the US. That's what makes it so interesting!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Same with the summer as well. Water polo, track and field, martial arts, etc. I'm stoked I'm going to get to watch break dancing competitions on TV, though France dropped the ball by not adding parkour.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Lifespan posted:

Same with the summer as well. Water polo, track and field, martial arts, etc. I'm stoked I'm going to get to watch break dancing competitions on TV, though France dropped the ball by not adding parkour.

I won tickets to the Red Bull breakdancing competition in NYC like 15 years ago and honestly it whipped rear end.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Almost the entirety of the Winter Olympics is for people who grew up extremely privileged or happened to live in very specific climates. It's the Olympics for the rich.

https://i.imgur.com/rxq8Knr.mp4

Powerful, ty

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Freaquency posted:

I won tickets to the Red Bull breakdancing competition in NYC like 15 years ago and honestly it whipped rear end.

One of my good friends was in the UMD breakdancing club back in the day, it was pretty fun to hang around and watch people spinning on their heads and poo poo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

At least dressage gave us snoop dog and Kevin heart high as gently caress commentating about horses crip walking.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

:911:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dressage is weak sauce

You really want to ruin your life you find a girl that does hunter jumper.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dated a girl who did western for 7 years then immediately after dated one who did classic for four years.

I have mucked so many stalls. I have dug so many post holes.

Horse girls are a drug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Cthulu Carl posted:

There's a curling center near me I should really check out, but I only seem to remember it exists every four years

I hope you finally check it out in 2028