Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

teen witch posted:

“Obviously he has made some poor choices”. That’s it I’m closing the thread down.

What's even better is that she doesn't even attempt the usual "Other than that, he's a great guy!" There is nothing redeeming about him in either post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

London != Britain. That would be like saying American food is good because New York is in the top 10.

Although they do have some damned good savory pies. I don't know whose idea it was to first make pasta pie but I will be ever thankful to Britain for introducing me to it.

You can find terrible processed junk food pretty much everywhere, the lowest common denominator is not a good metric for judging a country. If you went to New York and ate nothing but McDonalds, it wouldn't be fair to say that the food in the US sucks.

e: Missed the edit from teen witch

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 19, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
10 USD to a local charity with time stamped proof not a joke this is always a lovely derail

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

teen witch posted:

10 USD to a local charity with time stamped proof not a joke this is always a lovely derail

This actually reminded me I'd been meaning to set up a recurring monthly donation for my local food charity, so thanks for that even if I have no particular interest in continuing the derail.

And apparently I will be donating monthly forever because Paypal went screwy and has no record of it being set up, but it definitely got pulled from my bank account, so I don't think I can shut it down at this point.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Is there a cuisine that incorporates piss into its dishes?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What's even better is that she doesn't even attempt the usual "Other than that, he's a great guy!" There is nothing redeeming about him in either post.
I assume he's just really attractive.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I assume in cases like this, personal charm and manipulation skills are doing the heavy lifting. Charisma is hard to describe in words but incredibly compelling when you encounter it, and the manipulation it opens you up to is not something you register.

I was briefly involved with a narcissist, and he was very charismatic before you got to really know him. He had (apparent) depth, enthusiasm, and drive that were all easy to get swept up in before you realize that he is also a black hole for attention and personal validation with minimal interest in the well being of other people in his life, despite superficially feigning otherwise.

How much you are deceived by the feigning is I suppose a big part of how much you become trapped. Seems like she still buys it somehow.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Elissimpark posted:

Properly, it's an intolerance, not an allergy, and to glutamates generally not just MSG. Certain cheeses, anchovies and tomatoes are other things that should set them off.

And human breast milk, apparently.

I'm a food scientist not a doctor, but glutamic acid intolerance/metabolism disorders are also extremely, extremely rare. On the order of a few dozen cases have ever been identified, to my knowledge.

Usually it's just racism or woo crunchy people claiming it.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's true, people come from all over the world to enjoy London's famous traditional regional cuisine of curry

Eh, no different than going to New York for pizza. :shrug:

Although the best curry isn't in London, it's in Birmingham.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Local hex lady here: whorelord did nothing wrong (this time) - I probed them on the train and then I got a PM with proof of donation. Let it be know that this goon was wrongfully probed and I hope to find a way to fix it, even if it’s a sixer.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 19, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I'm a food scientist not a doctor, but glutamic acid intolerance/metabolism disorders are also extremely, extremely rare. On the order of a few dozen cases have ever been identified, to my knowledge.

Usually it's just racism or woo crunchy people claiming it.

Oh yeah. If someone genuinely has a problem with glutamates, then they'd have similar experiences with eating Italian, too.

I think if MSG was known in English by its correct name, Perfect Taste, we wouldn't have this issue.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

I assume in cases like this, personal charm and manipulation skills are doing the heavy lifting. Charisma is hard to describe in words but incredibly compelling when you encounter it, and the manipulation it opens you up to is not something you register.

right, a friend of my partner was with a guy just like this. charming, personable, handsome, probably great in bed, real fun to hang out with. its just that eventually you realize he's a lazy piece of poo poo addict who starts drinking the moment he rolls out of bed

he was brought over to our place for dinner some yeas ago, a "check out this guy i started dating" situation. i was the only other guy there and he seemed nice enough, but i got weird vibes off him because you couldn't tell a story or relate on any level without him also having done that thing, but better. as the only other guy present, he seemed focused on 'winning' over me, being the better man.

as my partner had to talk the friend through the low points in her relationship with this guy, it dawned on my partner as well that this dude was actually pretty awful if you weren't in the room with him and just looked at his actions in a vacuum

a couple years and a child later, it is now obvious to everyone that his refusal to get a job or grow up is not some fun free spirit quirk, he just sucks as a person. luckily the friend has adapted very well to single motherhood, stepped up and become a very competent adult, and the lovely guy hosed off somewhere. he got really hurt in their last interaction because he said he was going across the country to be with his ex after her divorce - clearly he was fishing for some kind of "please don't go, your kid needs you" kind of resistance. friend was like ok, bye, don't call me when you land, i dont care what you're up to. dude was like, what if you need to find me for child support? friend just laughed and said she'd never, ever bother pursuing him for child support because what wages does he have to garnish? no, go live your life, i will raise your son and we will be fine without you. apparently he was pretty wounded by being written off that hard but he hosed off and nobody cares where he went

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Whorelord posted:

Eh, no different than going to New York for pizza. :shrug:

Although the best curry isn't in London, it's in Birmingham.

You’ve got an hour or it’s sixer town

And here is mine because this is a local branch and the other one I had in mind had issues

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
On the other hand it's probably a weird socialization if you're that charismatic. First teachers and parents all give you the benefit of the doubt. Your friends act like you're the coolest thing ever. Later on at least some men and/or women will stay with you even if you cheat on them.

Not saying that you can't be a kind, considerate person if you have any charisma that makes others like you. But I'm not sure all of it is sociopathic put-on behaviour as opposed to just never experiencing consequences.

e: I'm reminded of this Netflix piece on a gangster from the former USSR operating in Florida. One of the people interviewed said something along these lines: "He used to convince rich folk in legal to sign over their yachts to him so that the IRS and courts didn't seize them. Of course he would just turn around and sell the goods. When the marks figured out what was happening they'd corner him. But by the time they had sat down together for five minutes he was selling them another boat."

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 19, 2021

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Theophany posted:

Is there a cuisine that incorporates piss into its dishes?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_boy_egg

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

right, a friend of my partner was with a guy just like this. charming, personable, handsome, probably great in bed, real fun to hang out with. its just that eventually you realize he's a lazy piece of poo poo addict who starts drinking the moment he rolls out of bed

he was brought over to our place for dinner some yeas ago, a "check out this guy i started dating" situation. i was the only other guy there and he seemed nice enough, but i got weird vibes off him because you couldn't tell a story or relate on any level without him also having done that thing, but better. as the only other guy present, he seemed focused on 'winning' over me, being the better man.

as my partner had to talk the friend through the low points in her relationship with this guy, it dawned on my partner as well that this dude was actually pretty awful if you weren't in the room with him and just looked at his actions in a vacuum

a couple years and a child later, it is now obvious to everyone that his refusal to get a job or grow up is not some fun free spirit quirk, he just sucks as a person. luckily the friend has adapted very well to single motherhood, stepped up and become a very competent adult, and the lovely guy hosed off somewhere. he got really hurt in their last interaction because he said he was going across the country to be with his ex after her divorce - clearly he was fishing for some kind of "please don't go, your kid needs you" kind of resistance. friend was like ok, bye, don't call me when you land, i dont care what you're up to. dude was like, what if you need to find me for child support? friend just laughed and said she'd never, ever bother pursuing him for child support because what wages does he have to garnish? no, go live your life, i will raise your son and we will be fine without you. apparently he was pretty wounded by being written off that hard but he hosed off and nobody cares where he went

Give us an update in a decade or two when he feels the need to connect with his child (possibly because he needs money, or because he's spun a yarn about his vindictive ex taking his baby away and now he needs to performatively reach out to keep tje story going)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Baronjutter posted:

-Had a really big tropical fish set up and didn't want to be seen as a "weird fish person"

duck trucker posted:

I think fish tanks are cool but I can easily see a lot of people thinking a Fish Man is the male version of a Horse Girl.

You can never have enough fishtanks

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

titty_baby_ posted:

Give us an update in a decade or two when he feels the need to connect with his child (possibly because he needs money, or because he's spun a yarn about his vindictive ex taking his baby away and now he needs to performatively reach out to keep tje story going)

he was already doing that - one day a week he would watch his kid, but he would start cracking beers as soon as he rolled off the couch. that was really the final straw for friend, "this guy isn't just entirely useless and unreliable, he is actively dangerous through neglect". the main reason he was sticking around was so that he could post pics of himself with his son on his instagram, which was for real the only time he would hold or interact with his son. when their breakup was getting contentious and threatening his curated social media image, she threatened to post the video she took of him crawling from the kitchen to the bathroom, dribbling piss the entire way. that shut him up

also this guy decided to cheat on the mother of his child in the living room, kid in the next room, recorded the deed on video for some reason, using mom's laptop, and managed to upload the video to a shared google drive so that she got a notification of the video right after it happened, while she was at work. i was convinced he had done this on purpose to prompt the final phase of their separation but no, as she explained to me in detail, he actually managed to pull this off through sheer incompetence

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

AITA for getting mad about my mom marrying my fiance's dad?

quote:

Throwaway. Please don't repost this somewhere else (my mom doesn't have Reddit but does have Instagram, etc. and I don't want her to find this as I do give out some identifiable details. Thank you!)

I (24F) and my fiance (24M) have been together since our sophomore year of college, so around 5 years now.

For context, my mom (50F) had an affair with a coworker when I was 16, leading to my parents' divorce. She has been single ever since (going on dates but no serious relationships). I have a good relationship with my dad and his new wife. Sadly, my fiance's mom passed 2 years ago due to cancer and his dad (53M) has been single since.

My fiance proposed last year but our wedding was delayed due to COVID. Our families had never met up to this point because his family lives in South Carolina, whereas we're in North Carolina (where we went to college), around a 3 hour's drive away from his dad. 3 months ago, in January 2021, we decided that it was time to have our families meet for the first time to discuss our upcoming wedding in June 2021 (held in our backyard, COVID appropriate, immediate family only). My dad and his wife, my fiance's dad, and my mom all met at our place to meet and discuss the wedding. This went well, albeit there was some tension between my mom and my dad.

This morning, out of the blue, my mom called me and announced that she had eloped. I was shocked as she had not been dating anyone to my knowledge. Upon questioning, it turns out that she and my fiance's dad had been dating in secret since that meeting in January and had married in secret yesterday, making my fiance my "stepbrother" (I want to throw up just thinking about this). She said that I should now cancel my wedding because it would be inappropriate to marry my "stepbrother."

I'm absolutely horrified. I shouted at my mom, saying she "just loves ruining my life" and called her selfish - first she cheated on my dad, and now she went and married my fiance's dad, knowing full well I was about to marry my fiance.

My mom then said I was still young and I'd have the chance to meet someone new, but she's old and "has to take every opportunity she's got," and so I was an ungrateful b*tch for not approving of her "marriage". She then accused me of wanting her to die alone.

I don't think I'm the rear end in a top hat, but I just wanted to make sure because ultimately I don't want her to have to be alone even though I think she did that to herself by hurting my dad. I think I should be allowed to marry my fiance as we met first. I'm also 12 weeks pregnant with my fiance's kid so that complicates matters more (we haven't told anybody yet).

AITA for being mad about my mom marrying my fiance's dad and because she said I can't marry my fiance anymore?

Edit: I don't know much about whether it's legal to marry your "stepbrother" so if someone could confirm that would be great.

EDIT 2: Mini update, we just called his dad. Apparently, he sees no issue with my fiance and I staying together, it was my mom who had an issue. Honestly, I still don't know how to feel about this because this still feels kinda gross to me. Will probably be going low or no contact.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Dear Annie: I’ve fallen for a man who lives in Nigeria and worry he’s just a scammer

quote:

Dear Annie: I have let myself get involved with a significantly younger guy. To make matters worse, I’m married. In my defense, before I even started talking to this other guy, my husband and I had come to a place in our marriage where we were more like roommates than husband and wife. We didn’t even share the same bedroom (which was his decision). He never showed me affection of any kind. We spoke to each other, but that was it.

I started socializing with men on social media, and I must admit I did get taken by a scammer for $12,000, which I shouldn’t have never let happen. But I have met this great guy on another site. He lives in Nigeria and is younger than me. I know Nigeria has a bad track record for scammers, but this guy really doesn’t seem like he would be into that stuff.

As for my husband... I care for him and don’t want to keep hurting him but my love for him isn’t the way it should be. Yet, I can’t bring myself to leave him.

The guy in Nigeria begs me to fly to see him. We FaceTime each other and talk on the phone so much and text each other when he’s not working. We are constantly on the phone -- or we were, anyway. Lately, I have noticed that often I text him, call him or FaceTime him, and he doesn’t respond back. Then finally, three days later, he will text back and ask when am I flying to him. I question him on why or what happened I haven’t heard from him. His answer is always that he’s been busy working. I’ve noticed that whenever I mention getting extra pay at work, he responds right away.

Annie, maybe, deep down, my heart is saying that maybe he is a scammer and actually doesn’t feel about me the way I’d hoped he would.

I get nostalgic looking back on how he treated me four months ago when we first started talking, and it’s not the same. I’ve brought this up with him, but he just insists he’s working to make a good life for us when I come. -- Love Two Men
This is so stupid it just makes me sad.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for clearing out all the food in the house and not replenishing it because my sister has an eating disorder?

quote:

I love my sister, but she eats everything in sight the moment she finds it. I have a lock on my door and have gotten a small fridge. I keep fruit and water in there, some snacks, and then I will go to my boyfriend's to eat. My sister is unemployed at the moment and my parents bring her meals (about 1200 calories per meal) and she will scarf it down. If they leave something for me, she eats that as well.

She once got so hungry she ate parmesan cheese from a shake bottle. As much as I love my sister, she has eaten about $400 in groceries this month alone. I tried so hard to refill it, talk it out with her, and she just binges, purges, binges more. She couldn't even be measured on my scale, which goes up to 450 pounds.

I told her that I was done feeding her. She can talk to our parents and figure it out. I was done. I have the lock-in in my bedroom, which has always been there, and I eat with my boyfriend. I eat at work. But there is nothing but bottled water in the fridge for her right now.

My parents are going out of town next week and have agreed to buy her food for the week. I told them that if she eats it all, she is going to be hungry the rest of the days.

I have been very clear with them that she needs to go to some kind of therapy/clinic. There has to be something to be done for someone with her issues. But she ignores it. It is at the point where she cannot get into my Corolla to drive anywhere because she is too big.

The house we live in is my childhood home and I lived there with Ashley because she is my sister. But now it's to the point where my boyfriend has said to just move in with him. Which would mean my parents would have to watch her because her health is so bad she can't do a lot of things without help.

I didn't sign up to be her saviour.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hughlander posted:

AITA for clearing out all the food in the house and not replenishing it because my sister has an eating disorder?

If I’ve learned one thing from my 600lb life it’s that these people can live an incredibly long time like this.

She needs to leave ASAP because it’s not her job to get her sister better and it’s only going to get worse.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

I literally burst out laughing at "false positive"

I'm sure it's not involved in this case, but fairly recently prosecutors had to clear over 20,000 convictions because the lab tech would always find drugs in the sample, no matter what. Another incident led to a number of exonerations when it was discovered, although that's probably not much of a comfort to the people executed as a result of her tampering.

In both cases prosecutors fought tooth and nail to keep from doing anything until forced to by the courts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

sullat posted:

I'm sure it's not involved in this case, but fairly recently prosecutors had to clear over 20,000 convictions because the lab tech would always find drugs in the sample, no matter what.

> With 4 months left of the [ankle] monitor, there was a false positive read
I took that to mean that OP is claiming that the monitor reported that the BF was somewhere he shouldn't have been, instead of him "actually" being at home.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

MarcusSA posted:

If I’ve learned one thing from my 600lb life it’s that these people can live an incredibly long time like this.

She needs to leave ASAP because it’s not her job to get her sister better and it’s only going to get worse.

600lbs of pure muscle?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I took that to mean that OP is claiming that the monitor reported that the BF was somewhere he shouldn't have been, instead of him "actually" being at home.

Yeah that’s how I read it as well.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not allowing my best friend to the wedding because of her dog?

quote:

Hi reddit I'm M28 and I will be getting married next year. We will be holding a pretty grand wedding with over 100 people. My best friend is Tara and she is blind. Has been blind since she moved into my neighbourhood. She has a support dog who she uses and is very independent.

My fiancé and her parents are allergic to dogs. My fiancé doesn't want the dog to be allowed at the wedding because this is her special day and she should be able to choose who comes and goes to the wedding. This dog is also not hypoallergenic and has a lot of fur which would most likely worsen the problem. My fiancé and her parents won't budge and everyone agrees with it. This dog is a certified service dog and is well trained but it can't control its dander and if I am being honest, this day belongs to my fiancé and she should be 100%.

I told my best friend that she could come but no dog. We would escort her through the party and she could just stay for the ceremony and we could escort her away. She was very upset and through a massive fit and even cried at the end. She doesn't have a lot of friends and was really looking forward to my wedding but now couldn't attend. She called my wife an ableist and that taking tablets wouldn't hurt her. I agree, but a lot of her family have this problem and it's quite frankly more of a hassle to make everyone take medications than have her escorted. Also I think the bride has a lot more say than a guest. She is still very hysterical and is blaming my fiancé. She called me an AH for supporting my fiancé and abandoning her. I do understand it's tough and independence is very important but she is not compromising, so she cannot attend. AITA?

Edit: Seems like I missed out something crucial. I saw a lot of YTA and I thought it was wrong that my wife would not allow her to come and it was indeed ableist. So when talking to her (she had no idea about the post) she told me another important factor was her cousins and uncles were not willing and able to come because they are deathly allergic to dogs. Seems like her cousin can get hives and that he is an important part of the wedding planning. Also grandma is coming and she is in her nineties and they don't want to take a chance with the dog. So to me it seems like a done deal, but I'll leave this thread open for anymore comments.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

if the family is legitimately allergic to dogs to a degree that it's dangerous, then yea, that makes sense, but it also sounds like bullshit

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Deformed Church posted:

AITA for getting mad about my mom marrying my fiance's dad?

Local Mom finds ONE WEIRD TRICK to Keep Her Daughter from Getting Married! Lovers HATE Her!!!!

Seriously, does anyone think the mother was doing this for any reason but to try and stop her daughter from getting married?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

kimbo305 posted:

He got a DUI so probably a SCRAM bracelet. Reports blood alcohol levels based on analysing wearer's sweat.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for bringing out regular bread when a pregnant woman ordered garlic free garlic bread?

quote:

I'm a waitress at a restaurant. Earlier, a pregnant woman came in with her husband. When I went to get their orders, the woman asked for "garlic free garlic bread." I advised her that our garlic bread was just our regular bread with garlic butter instead of regular butter and asked her to clarify if she just wanted regular bread. But she insisted no, she wanted our garlic bread, just without garlic. I let her know she could just order regular bread and it would be a dollar less, but she insisted she had a huge craving for garlic bread without the garlic. I wasn't really sure what to do, but her husband got angry and said something like "Can't you see that she's pregnant? It's not that hard to just bring out garlic bread without garlic."

So I took their order and told the kitchen she wanted garlic bread without the garlic. Kitchen staff thought I was being snarky, but brought out the regular bread for her. She immediately starts crying and asking me if I was treating her like an idiot. How could I treat a pregnant woman so badly? Is it that hard to make garlic bread without garlic? But literally, we do nothing different to our garlic bread except use garlic butter instead of regular butter. Her husband flagged down a manager telling me, I was being condescending and that his wife had been craving this all week but garlic was making her nauseous.

The manager came over, and I explained what was going on. The manager apologized and took the bread back and told me to just bring out another loaf of bread with garlic butter on the side. I was a little annoyed, but I did it, and gave it to them. The husband got angry again, told the manager I was being intentionally difficult and cruel, then left with his wife (who ate the garlic free garlic bread, using the garlic butter).

This just feels bizarre to me. Both me and my manager weren't really sure how to handle this. AITA for bringing out regular bread when the woman ordered garlic free garlic bread?

Edit: To clarify, it's a focaccia loaf. The regular and garlic bread are baked the exact same way. It's just that one uses garlic and the other doesn't

Edit 2: To clarify further, the lady says she had been to the restaurant before. She was completely aware of what our garlic bread contained. She was specifically craving our garlic bread, which is a flat focaccia with salt, herbs, butter, and garlic. Our regular bread is the exact same thing with no garlic (so it has the salt, herbs, and butter). They are both served warm. The bread isn't toasted like Texas toast style garlic bread. The focaccias are pretty flat, so you can't really toast it, but the crust is still pretty crunchy and buttery.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I know that false positives are possible but every single other thing about him in both posts make the idea of him being railroaded absolutely hilarious.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for bringing out regular bread when a pregnant woman ordered garlic free garlic bread?

I really want to know what this crazy woman was envisioning.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dazerbeams posted:

I really want to know what this crazy woman was envisioning.

They wanted a free meal by causing a scene.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

They wanted a free meal by causing a scene.

That sounds like a ridiculous hassle for free garlic bread.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I believe in pregnancy brains.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im willing to give the pregnant woman the benefit of the doubt but the husband going "its not hard" sadly means that child will grow up fatherless since he's too stupid to live

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my daughter that she's getting what she deserves?

quote:

I (58m) have two daughters. One from a previous marriage and another from my wife's previous marriage. Both daughters are around the same age (think mid-twenties). My daughter Allie has never gotten along with her stepsister Johanna. If Johanna invited Allie to a movie, Allie was suddenly super busy and had no time. If Johanna wanted to come with Allie to a party, Johanna wasn't invited and there was no way she could bring her. She'd rip up Joanna's things and would blame Johanna when she'd be grounded.

Just the run of the mill petty teenager bullstink. Johanna was a good sport and always seemed to take things on the chin. Her explanation was always that "sisters fight". Until about maybe three or four summers ago Allie was home from college and was going through a rough breakup that was causing her grades to tank which put her on academic probation. Allie was upset and was taking it out on everyone, especially Johanna. My wife and I told her to cut it out and she seemed to catch on that her behavior wasn't gonna be accepted. Come to find out after Allie leaves to go back to college that she'd completely destroyed Johanna's scrapbook with pictures of her dad and destroyed a lot of the shirts she had left of his. Johanna didn't make a stink about it in front of us but that night the house stunk of E6000 and mod podge. You could guess what she spent the night doing. After that incident Johanna had completely given up on Allie. Allie has a birthday coming up, Johanna wouldn't even sign the card. Allie is in town for the weekend, unless it's a holiday or family event, Johanna wasn't there. And honestly we didn't blame her.

Now the issue is that Allie wants Johanna to let things go and let bygones be bygones. Johanna is getting married soon, and Allie wants an invite. It was brought up this past week at a family dinner (Johanna and her fiance as well as their son attended/Allie and her wife and two girls attended as well). Allie brought up how the kids were the same age and how it'd be cool after the wedding if the kids could hang out. Allie also asked what she should wear to Johanna's wedding and if she'd be a bridesmaid. Johanna pretty much laid it out for Allie that she wasn't coming and that the kids wouldn't be seeing each other outside of family events.The night was pretty tense afterwards and I asked Johanna if there was any way she could forgive Allie. She said she wanted nothing to do with her and I told her I fully understand that she carries a lot of hurt from how Allie treated her. Allie came to me after Johanna left and pretty much begged me to convince Johanna to move past things. I told her that had she been a more considerate and kind person back then that maybe she'd have a chance at a relationship with her stepsister. I told her that she made her bed and she needs to lay in it. She said I'm a a-hole and that any good father would want to see his kids reunite.

AITA for telling her she deserves this?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I assume that if they mean anything that actually exists and not some fantasy dream bread, they mean bread fried in butter, not smeared on it as one typically gets with restaurant bread

if their garlic bread is just cold garlic butter + bread that restaurant probably gets a lot of crying customers

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my daughter that she's getting what she deserves?

Why did you tolerate this behavior to begin with, OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I assume that if they mean anything that actually exists and not some fantasy dream bread, they mean bread fried in butter, not smeared on it as one typically gets with restaurant bread

if their garlic bread is just cold garlic butter + bread that restaurant probably gets a lot of crying customers

The comments say they made it with the same herbs and whatnot just no garlic. Literally the garlic focaccia bread sans garlic.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Why did you tolerate this behavior to begin with, OP?

Skimming the comments it suggests that they repeatedly tried to correct the behavior but nothing stuck. I can't be sure when they realized it was a problem and tried to fix it though because reddit's decision to have fractal comment threads is a pain in the rear end to follow.