Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
So now basically obamacare only hangs on as long as McCain survives and prevents his seat being filled by a yes vote?
Its a weird world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Gort posted:

Why would that specifically affect McCain and not the other 47 Republican senators?

I think his point is Heller's key donor demanded Heller vote yes - not sure that is going to work out for all concerned though.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
just lol at Heller forever

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oh wow the gasps in the chamber when mccain said no

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

dr_rat posted:

So just a reconciliation question, if they have another go at it would it still be considered to be under the same reconciliation bill, or is it dead now so they would have to use next years?

From my limited understanding or it's the former, as it only counts if it passes?

They can bring this bill back until Sept 30th I believe. They can't really use the bill for anything else.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

oh wow the gasps in the chamber when mccain said no

Fiz if you want to know what Patriots fans felt like during the Superbowl this is like 25% of that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They didn't lose this bill last night, they lost it months ago when the child emperor failed from the beginning to provide leadership, and they began with the strategy of trying to bribe their way through and write the bill in secret. This alienated congressmen who would have loved to end ACA if only there was a real plan to do so or if they had even one good idea between them.

This was not really driven by the White House at all, because Trump doesn't know how to do that or even understand to do it. He doesn't even understand what got voted down last night--a really pathetic plan C. The one maneuver they attempted this week was to attempt to distract everyone with a transgender ban. That was their big play that they convinced themselves was a masterstroke, that within 24 hours was another public humiliation for the president.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Going back to the sanctions bill, I didn't realize just how veto-proof the majorities were. 78-2 and 419-3? Are you making GBS threads me? :laffo:

Veto it and declare war on your own party in congress you gently caress. DO IT :getin:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ralepozozaxe posted:

McConnel wasted a lot of bribe money, and I imagine the people who gave it to him are not happy. He's about to get Dr. Faciliered by his friends from the other side.

I'm bringing this back from a dozen pages deep, because I want you to know that I understood this reference and appreciated it.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

So now basically obamacare only hangs on as long as McCain survives and prevents his seat being filled by a yes vote?
Its a weird world

Not exactly. They can only use budget reconciliation twice per year, this one one of those times and the next they want to use on tax reform. So I think this is dead.

Plus I think if they take this up again next year (assuming McCain doesn't make it), then the house would need to pass something again; which there's no chance of happening with the midterm election in November.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Anybody have a link to the thread when the announcement that it failed happened?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hunt11 posted:

Anybody have a link to the thread when the announcement that it failed happened?

Page 1816

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Hunt11 posted:

Page 1817

Edit: sniped

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, it is time to read some more good news.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I just wanted to say I appreciate your explanations of the inner workings of the legislative process

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Fiz if you want to know what Patriots fans felt like during the Superbowl this is like 25% of that.

Please don't compare political victories to sports; it trivializes the fact that people are celebrating the fact that they might not have to die next year.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sock The Great posted:

Not exactly. They can only use budget reconciliation twice per year, this one one of those times and the next they want to use on tax reform. So I think this is dead.

Plus I think if they take this up again next year (assuming McCain doesn't make it), then the house would need to pass something again; which there's no chance of happening with the midterm election in November.

Close. Reconciliation can technically be three times a year revolving around revenues, expenditures, and the debt limit. Usually it's compiled into one bill for obvious reasons.

So in reality it's only once a year and this year is drawing down quick.

Also I hope McConnell rage quits the Senate's plan to cancel the August recess. A man can dream.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

Please don't compare political victories to sports; it trivializes the fact that people are celebrating the fact that they might not have to die next year.

Patriots fans are actually worst than Republicans too.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Ah, that was a fun overnight thread to catch up on, thanks guys! THE ART OF THE DEAL

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I think one thing to consider in regards to the "McCain showboating, he could have killed this days ago." talk is that he totally could have. He could have been a stern no, had to deal with Pence, Trump and the rest screaming at him for a day, and then got the bill canned well before it came to the floor. The Senate would have had a coming together moment and tried to pass something else, perhaps a skinny mk2 that'd have been less worse, but still awful. There are a lot of scenarios where knowing McCain would no would lead to this bill existing in some form after the fact either because they'd put the screws on Murkowski more and offer her more benefits, or utilized the knowledge it was going to fail to market this whole event better.

Instead McConnell brought it to the loving floor to vote, and it died.

This wasn't just McCain NWOing his way out to kill the bill. This was McCain deliberately stabbing McConnell in his turtle back, ruining his political career, legitimacy, and ability to get things done for the next 2-4 years. He wanted McConnell to suffer personally.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Lol this is the best. Republicans literally have no one else to blame for their inability to govern since they own every branch. They couldn't even do a straight repeal, something they had waited 7 years for.

Revel in this small bit of hope folks. Because this poo poo show known as the Trump admin is only a quarter of a way through and Dems still haven't pulled their heads out of their asses.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
When one has lived with prophecy for so long, the moment of revelation is a shock.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Kylra posted:

I'm pretty sure the nothing matters we're doomed brigade all wanted it to actually fail, just like most (all?) everyone else in the thread. So yeah? :confused:

No. These morons poo poo up the thread constantly, hijacking any productive and intelligent discussion with sadsacking. They've celebrated being "right" about "nothing matters" just as hard, friend.

They don't care about the legislation. The only thing that matters to them is their fragile egos.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

I'm purposefully antagonizing Fiz because I like him and that's just what we do in TFF

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo... he mavericked

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

McCain voting no doesn't change my overall opinion of the man, nor does it make me take back or regret any of the criticisms I threw his way when he returned to cast the vote to get the bill to the floor.

That being said, I do appreciate a redemptive narrative arc. Especially one that turbofucks Mitch McConnell.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Chilichimp posted:

Holy poo poo... he mavericked

It was basically the final scene in Maverick in Senate form.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Motherfucker achieved praxis.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

evilweasel posted:

They can bring this bill back until Sept 30th I believe. They can't really use the bill for anything else.

Nah, it's eternally dead now after dying on the floor.

I checked the FY2018 reconciliation instructions and they have all the committees they would need to repeal ACA working on the bill. So technically, if they wanted to, they could roll together healthcare and tax reform into the next reconciliation bill. Not sure there's much desire to wave that particular loaded gun around, though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

gotta think now republicans believe the best course of action is to ignore the aca and hope people have forgotten by 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I find it pretty unlikely after this disaster that McConnell is going to press forward. This is at least the 4th time this has failed.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Mr. Powers posted:

Hey, my vote mattered to America!

Mine too! Although I am loathe to credit NH with anything. We are the John McCain of states.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Going back to the sanctions bill, I didn't realize just how veto-proof the majorities were. 78-2 and 419-3? Are you making GBS threads me? :laffo:

Veto it and declare war on your own party in congress you gently caress. DO IT :getin:

Has he even vetoed anything yet? Not as far as any records say anyway.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

funkymonks posted:

Mine too! Although I am loathe to credit NH with anything. We are the John McCain of states.

That's not true, you sell booze and tvs to people from Massachusetts! That's very useful to me, a person from Massachusetts that occasionally buys booze and tvs!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Well this isn't what I expected to wake up to today. Great job murkowski Collins and McCain. It's the bare minimum you could do but I'll take it.

Tatsuta Age fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 28, 2017

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
So is it dead this time? Like, actually dead? I have been reading the posts since last night and it someone said McConnel put it back on the calendar?

Edit: found it

https://twitter.com/Khanoisseur/status/890813380713365505?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

BlueberryCanary fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 28, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Maybe posted already but worth reposting for the morning crew

https://twitter.com/steveking_/status/890910426908807168

(sound on)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just remember that Paul Ryan had a big hand to play in why this failed last night, with his threat to push past conference at his discretion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Most places I'd agree but this is a forum that shitposted its way through 9-11, I expect nihilistic irreverence from SomethingAwful on all matters.

• Locked thread