Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The best shape, the best wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Holy hell that looks incredible.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

As it is - completely loving awesome but unsellable. Tone down the rear splitter a little bit, lose the wing, and then sell a million copies.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

As it is - completely loving awesome but unsellable. Tone down the rear splitter a little bit, lose the wing, and then sell eight thousand copies globally.

fixed that for you

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

You can tell it will basically never be sold because it has a hydrogen fuel cell, but drat if they come out with anything close to that I'll be putting my name down for one. It's like what the new delorean should have looked like.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have no idea why you'd ever lose the wing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I saw a Raptor 37 in the flesh for the first time yesterday and I want one.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2zKAX53OyQ

I balked as soon as he opened the hood and saw it was FWD based. Why use the name Crown?

No one under the age of 70 is going to buy this car.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I STAN FOR A SHITHEAD THAT SEXUALLY ABUSES HIS EMPLOYEES
Well that's certainly a car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Godzilla07 posted:

Why this instead of a Lexus RX or RAV4 is what I'm wondering

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

KillHour posted:

I have no idea why you'd ever lose the wing.

hi5, Big Wing Buddy

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
How much would I hate driving a manual in a 17 mile each way, medium to heavy stop and go commute?

edit: the last manual I owned was an SVT Focus in 2009 and I'm 40 now.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheWevel posted:

How much would I hate driving a manual in a 17 mile each way, medium to heavy stop and go commute?

I'm from a manual or die family and so is my wife and we own three manuals right now (and I have a manual Bronco on order).

I wouldn't do it. the one time I was in stop and go in my Mustang I wanted to kill myself after about 40 minutes.

I showed my wife your post and she said she would do it, she liked it and says it gave her something to do.

I think the difference between us is that she actually has lived in major metros so got used to it and i never have.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I drive 50 miles round trip in and out of London everyday in a manual haha

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

TheWevel posted:

As a person with a heavy stop and go commute who is also 40, I'd say it depends on the car and how heavy the clutch is. My Mazda2? No problem because the clutch is super light and the shifter is pleasant. In the 911 with its heavy duty truck style clutch? Not a chance - all the pleasure would be taken out of the drive.

Truthfully, for commuting I like driving the auto hybrid or taking my motorcycle.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

TheWevel posted:

That would greatly depend on the car especially in regards how easy it is to work the clutch and how much low end torque the engine has.

I'm a relative noob at driving stick myself after buying a Forester XT over two years ago. The clutch isn't what would be considered good as I literally cannot feel the bite point in the pedal and basically depend on muscle memory and observing engine revs and movement of the car. However, the engine has a decent amount of low end torque that I can deal with the so-so clutch. With a lot of practice in the intervening time, I've become proficient enough that I can take it into NYC (and have taken it through all five boroughs) regardless of traffic or inclines.

However, my actual commute is all highway cruising at 70 mph because I commute in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic plus I now do hybrid remote work. Having never commuted through rush hour traffic, I don't think I can tolerate it myself in any car, manual or automatic, unless it had advanced driver assist with lane following and adaptive cruise control. I mean I could technically do it but I would absolutely hate doing it 5-days a week in each direction.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 15, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheWevel posted:

medium to heavy stop and go commute?

I imagine everyone will have different definitions of "medium to heavy".

I drove a stick in the greater Providence, RI area for ~4 years and that place is a pretty dense shithole with awful drivers but it's probably nothing compared to LA :shrug:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I want to embrace a two-car lifestyle because commuting in Chicagoland traffic with a stick blows rear end.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I live in Atlanta so my heavy stop and go is probably worse than most. I've been looking at the new Si or WRX as like, my final chance with ICE cars before we're all forced by the government to drive EVs but them being manual only may be a dealbreaker. I was very close to getting a Kona N (dsg) a couple weeks ago but just couldn't pull the trigger on it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Full Collapse posted:

I want to embrace a two-car lifestyle because commuting in Chicagoland traffic with a stick blows rear end.

I had to commute to downtown Chicago a couple times a month in my last job in a stick. And if it wasn't only couple times a month I might never want a stick again.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

If it is guaranteed daily stop and go, that would be a dealbreaker for me. If it's slowdown with occasional stop and go (like one bad day a week?), I'd probably do it (or be closer to a coin flip on it).

Background: I got a WRX about three months ago after three years of driving automatic and desperately wanting another manual. When I was driving automatic and wanting to have a manual again, I would have probably thought gently caress it, I'll live with it. Now after having one again and having been in stop and go a couple of times, it isn't something I'd want to do every day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you are for sure going to be able to buy an ICE car for a very long time so I would probably chill on the GUBMINT GONNA MANDATE EVs poo poo. as far as I can tell the new WRX is a potato (or at least not better than the prior ones) so I'm not sure why you would want to buy one instead of a used WRX.

I drive manual cars in Boston. I probably wouldn't drive the M5 on my old 45 minute commute every day, the clutch is pretty heavy and it is not a car that tolerates stop and go traffic. But everything else I have driven would be fine - 128, FoST, Alltrack, Maxima. I don't intend to ever own an automatic ICE car.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Roseville, CA (Norcal inland wannabe Orange County) July 2022 market updates:

1. Toyota Tacomas still have $10k markups.
2. Chevy Tahoes/etc still have $10k markups or more.
3. GMC Pickups still have $5k markups.
4. Chevy Pickups now have retreated to $1.5k OFF MSRP

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you are for sure going to be able to buy an ICE car for a very long time so I would probably chill on the GUBMINT GONNA MANDATE EVs poo poo.

i guess i should use sarcasm tags outside of cspam

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Joe Biden is going to make ICE illegal other things that will be made illegal: patriotism, freedom, property ownership, and heterosexuality.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Idea time!

Small hub motors on the non-driven wheels with just enough grunt to creep a car forward. Put them on a manual transmission car. When the car is in no gear and the brakes aren't pressed, the car creeps forward in traffic without having to dick around with the clutch. Now you can have fun with a manual transmission when conditions allow and you don't have to put all that effort into operating the clutch to move forward three feet at a time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

haven't you essentially invented the Toyota Prius AWD system?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

haven't you essentially invented the Toyota Prius AWD system?

I think Mitsubishi might have gotten there first on one of its not-very-good crossover SUVs. But this is applying that lame technology to something cool.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PBCrunch posted:

Idea time!

Small hub motors on the non-driven wheels with just enough grunt to creep a car forward. Put them on a manual transmission car. When the car is in no gear and the brakes aren't pressed, the car creeps forward in traffic without having to dick around with the clutch. Now you can have fun with a manual transmission when conditions allow and you don't have to put all that effort into operating the clutch to move forward three feet at a time.

Mazda patented something that makes it look like the next Miata is getting two electric motors driving the front wheels: https://www.thedrive.com/news/44267/mazda-patents-lightweight-hybrid-drivetrain-that-could-be-for-the-ne-miata. I'd like an EV switch or something, but I think that it'd be over-complicated to actually live with something like what you described.

More interestingly, Mazda patented a rear mounted 6-speed sequential transaxle? What mass-market cars have ever been sold with a sequential transmission?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It depends on your definition of sequential. If you're talking hydraulically activated manual transmission there are a few from Aston Martin, Ferrari, Toyota, and BMW; DSG opens you up to Porsche/BMW/VW. If you're talking a true drum shift style sequential like a motorcycle I can really only think of stuff in the Radical category.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 15, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BlackMK4 posted:

It depends on your definition of sequential. If you're talking hydraulically activated manual transmission there are a few from Aston Martin, Ferrari, Toyota, and BMW; DSG opens you up to Porsche/BMW/VW. If you're talking a true drum shift style sequential like a motorcycle I can really only think of stuff in the Radical category.

Yeah, that patent is for a drum shift unsynchronized sequential manual, which I'm really only familiar with on motorcycles.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, that patent is for a drum shift unsynchronized sequential manual, which I'm really only familiar with on motorcycles.

That is pretty rad then. Interesting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

Idea time!

The only thing I don't like about this idea is the unsprung weight increase.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I like how you didn't count Ford's awful attempt at making a DSG.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PBCrunch posted:

I like how you didn't count Ford's awful attempt at making a DSG.

Some things are best left forgotten :lol:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Keyser_Soze posted:

Roseville, CA (Norcal inland wannabe Orange County) July 2022 market updates:

1. Toyota Tacomas still have $10k markups.
2. Chevy Tahoes/etc still have $10k markups or more.
3. GMC Pickups still have $5k markups.
4. Chevy Pickups now have retreated to $1.5k OFF MSRP

Thanks for this. Its fun to see what dumb dealerships are doing in other states.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

My Ferrari has a DSG as well, as do all? of their current cars now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It’s only a DSG if it’s from the Direktschaltgetriebe region of Germany. Otherwise it’s a sparkling dual-clutch.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Godzilla07 posted:

It is a replacement for the Avalon in the U.S. market so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

drat Z06 is now above 100k base. :(
Miss the good old days of what 65k?
Can you even get a base C8 for what a 1st gen z06 cost back in the day?

Man I just remembered gen 1 was 50k. I forgot the first couple of years werent crazy price wise.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 16, 2022