Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did 2021 suck?
This poll is closed.
Yes 54 28.27%
Very much yes 34 17.80%
Oh gently caress yes 32 16.75%
Are you fuckign kidding me, HELL YES IT SUCKED 71 37.17%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I think most people would be absolutely fine with a short range, cheaper, smaller, less plush EV. They've been convinced they absolutely need a hideously expensive 300 mile range rolling lounge with 5 seats though.
A few years ago I was thinking of getting a cheap EV to commute with, I tracked my daily mileage for a month to get an idea what kind of range I would actually need if I wanted to commute and not charge at work. Month and a half later I only had two days over 40mi and one was an "emergency" trip to a customer site that work would have covered a rental.

McTinkerson posted:

Really, the world just needs more Teslondas.
Leaf swapped EG/EK Civics, beetles, golfs, etc.
EV swap all the older stuff, can't wait for more components to become available and prices to come down.

Elviscat posted:

The 2023 Bolt is going to be a loving steal...
If I was commuting and needed something with a warranty I never needed to think about this would very much be top of my list.

opengl posted:

All sounds great on paper but will dealers actually have any?
Try dealerships in deep red rural areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

meatpimp posted:

I've reduced my routine travel needs down to ~20 miles per day, a couple days a week. I'd be okay with a half depleted leaf. I just need to find something at a non-stupid price, so... I'll be waiting.

32 miles, each way, Mon-Fri. That's just going to/from work, doesn't include any errands. I really need to move closer...

Advent Horizon posted:

Kerrville has two L3 charging stations nearby:

Fredricksburg is only L2 but still not a charging wasteland:

Good to know about Kerrville (and TBH kinda surprising), though our B&B of choice when we go to Fredricksburg is a good 20 minutes out of town (basically in Luckenbach). Owners would probably be fine with me plugging into 120V, but it would limit our options a bit.

Elviscat posted:

The 2023 Bolt is going to be a loving steal

Starting Jan 1 the Bolt is eligible for the $7,500 tax credit, GM is also lowering the base model's MSRP to around $26,000, also the tax credit goes to the dealer, meaning it comes straight off the top, you don't have to gently caress about with it at tax time. This means you can get a base model Bolt for less than $20,000 before TTL. That's a screaming deal for any economy car, and just ridiculous for an EV with 260 miles of range, that can seat 5 people.

The 2LT, the model I got, will come in around
$21,500 before TTL that gets you ACC, Bose sound, lanekeep assist, perforated (fake I think?) Leather seats, automatic highbeams, every cool fancy new-car option you (or at least I) could want. 8 year 100,000 mile warranty on that battery at that price too. And that's a proper liquid-cooled battery pack that should survive just fine in the Texas heat.

The Bolt's delivering what Musk promised the Model 3 would, an EV with enough range to meet anyone in the US's needs, for under $30K, actually considerably under.

The only real shame is that the Bolt's limited to 50kW fast charging and can't do 150+ like most modern EVs.

E: if you want to actually fit 5 adults in it, there's also the Bolt EUV which is just a fat Bolt with a little less range and about $2k more for comparable features.

I thought the reason GM was lowering the MSRP was because they were no longer eligible for the tax credit? It's still going to be one hell of a deal though - as it is, the base model Bolt is one of the cheapest "real car" EVs you can get (I think the MSRP is lower than even the Leaf). All I really care about as far as features is keyless entry and a decent sounding stereo with Android Auto; aside from "decent sounding", the rest is standard on most cars that aren't complete stripper models these days (so basically eliminates the very bottom rung cars with base trim, i.e. Chevy Spark in LS trim has Android Auto, but no keyless entry).

I was looking at the 1LT, but if the 2LT will be that cheap... poo poo, I spend over $200 a month on gas alone right now. I can charge for free at work too - using Musk's power. :laffo: I wouldn't want to fast charge regularly though, just because it wears the battery pack down faster. Same reason my phone has adaptive charging that slowwwwwwly charges it to 80% while I'm sleeping, then an hour before my alarm goes off, tops it off to 100% (I know ideally Li-Ion batteries do best when only charged to 80%, but that wouldn't get me through the day - I'm normally down to 10-15% when I leave work).

opengl posted:

There's a couple of dealers locally that have 2022s in stock, but only one each. And the "market adjustment" is :smithicide:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

STR posted:

I thought the reason GM was lowering the MSRP was because they were no longer eligible for the tax credit? It's still going to be one hell of a deal though -

With the passing of the Inflation Reduction Act the 200,000 EV limit for the tax break is gone (starting Jan1) and the Bolt should qualify for at least a partial credit (looks like some of the tax credit is dependent on where the minerals for the battery are sourced). But it should at least be eligible for a $3,750 credit since it's made in the US. Chevy hasn't been eligible since 2019 based on Volt sales.

Chevy lowering the MSRP is independent of the tax credit, if you can find a new 2022 Bolt Chevy is currently offering a $5,900 rebate to align 2022 stock prices with 2023 MSRPs. It might be possible to snag a '22 since GM has promised to wrap up the battery replacement for the fire-prone batteries this month.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
maybe i shoulda bought a bolt that sounds rad

went to get brunch alone today. ended up getting fairly trashed and slept a chunk of the day away. the poo poo you can get away with when you don't have anyone to answer to

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rhyno posted:

maybe i shoulda bought a bolt that sounds rad

went to get brunch alone today. ended up getting fairly trashed and slept a chunk of the day away. the poo poo you can get away with when you don't have anyone to answer to

What are your short term goals?

What kind of exercise did you choose?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Short term? Probably quit my job.

Exercise? Hefting beer bottles.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

That's just enabling your inner saboteur. Get your rear end off the couch, stop moping and DO something. Exercise, preferably. You know the rush that you get from endorphins. It's time to take control of the sadbrains.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

opengl posted:

Further, will they actually sell them at that price? Current stealership practice regarding desirable vehicles says no.

I saw a Bolt EUV in the parking garage a couple weeks ago, and it's a decent looking car, not huge.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Darchangel posted:

Further, will they actually sell them at that price? Current stealership practice regarding desirable vehicles says no.

I saw a Bolt EUV in the parking garage a couple weeks ago, and it's a decent looking car, not huge.

I hope that next year the car ridiculousness calms down. I tried to place an order for a Maverick a few months ago and got nothing but lol in return.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

That's just enabling your inner saboteur. Get your rear end off the couch, stop moping and DO something. Exercise, preferably. You know the rush that you get from endorphins. It's time to take control of the sadbrains.

I've got $59k in the bank, I'll be damned if I don't at least try to drink every last cent of that

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I've got $59k in the bank, I'll be damned if I don't at least try to drink every last cent of that

yo sad brains. take your 59k, go get a gravel bike, a pair of panniers, and spend the next year or more pedaling it around the country/planet.
Ride till you're not sad anymore.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Last breakup I did just this. Well, kinda - I got a touring bike with rack and panniers, but didn't tour the country. Biking around the area got me through the breakup and getting laid off, lost a bunch of weight and met my current partner through thirsty bike selfies

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Well at least drink it somewhere besides your moms basement or wherever you are. Japan opens up the 11th, there are lots of $5-600 round trip flights from west coast there this fall. Best case you get out and adventure and find purpose in your life if not then at least you are drinking yourself to death out in the world.

If I could function anymore with booze every second I didn’t have my kids I’d be drinking, I fortunately I just can’t handle it and recover anymore so I can’t. I just try to stay busy with cars and making money so at least my kids will be well off when I’m gone.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

Fine, but don't sit at home doing it. Nikka Whisky have a distillery in Hokkaido, go drink something there. Get yourself over to a few in Scotland. Have a proper Guinness in Ireland.

Anyone can drink at home alone, professionals have standards.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
drinking yourself to death post breakup is both easy and trite

if you really want to engage in self-destructive behavior and send a message, take up some dope sport like wingsuit flying

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

buy a cheap rally or endurance/lemons car and pour your life into that for a year or so. do every event on whatever calendar. you'll be fine after that. source: my wife of 12 years left me and i was turbosad for about 18 months but am fine now

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cursedshitbox posted:

Ride till you're not sad anymore.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Don’t waste it all on alcohol, come to the west coast and do some drugs too!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rhyno posted:

I already know you're sad. Go away and come back in an hour with short term goals and the kind of exercise you're going to do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

drinking yourself to death post breakup is both easy and trite

if you really want to engage in self-destructive behavior and send a message, take up some dope sport like wingsuit flying

It looks so fun. Google's first suggestion when I start typing "wingsuit" is "wingsuit death rate" and it turns out it's 1/500. Kind of surprised folks don't just go up to 499 and then quit but I guess you can't live life for other people.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

builds character posted:

I already know you're sad. Go away and come back in an hour with short term goals and the kind of exercise you're going to do.

It looks so fun. Google's first suggestion when I start typing "wingsuit" is "wingsuit death rate" and it turns out it's 1/500. Kind of surprised folks don't just go up to 499 and then quit but I guess you can't live life for other people.

lol

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've been waiting for a reasonably-priced EV motorcycle or scooter from a brand that doesn't sound like something made up for Aliexpress. Like where are the Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki etc EV bikes? I don't need crazy range or speed just something fast enough and safe enough to get on the highway and do a 15 mile roundtrip.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

builds character posted:

But there are a ton of people who die on the first jump. For each one of those you get 499 free jumps.

That's just simple math.

The best strategy is to convince as many people as possible to try it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Powershift posted:

But there are a ton of people who die on the first jump. For each one of those you get 499 free jumps.

That's just simple math.

The best strategy is to convince as many people as possible to try it.

the math checks out

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You have 59k to ESCAPE INDIANA

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

seriously tho, inside the first year it feels like your life has no purpose anymore, you've lost a half of yourself, the future is pointless, no one but her could possibly fill that void in your life, etc. you just gotta find something to occupy that time to let those feelings fade. i look back on my divorce (which wasn't that long ago, it all started unravelling in may 2018, and she was out of the house with finality by september 2019. then covid happened not long after and i was trying to finish my last year of engineering school while i was at home with 2 kids full time lol) and think how blinded by emotion i was. trying to win her back for a while at first, then wallowing in self pity for a year+

it all passes eventually, and life goes on

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Imagined posted:

I've been waiting for a reasonably-priced EV motorcycle or scooter from a brand that doesn't sound like something made up for Aliexpress. Like where are the Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki etc EV bikes? I don't need crazy range or speed just something fast enough and safe enough to get on the highway and do a 15 mile roundtrip.

Any of the smaller Zeros would be perfect for a commute like that.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Imagined posted:

Get an electric gravelbike and avoid the highway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

seriously tho, inside the first year it feels like your life has no purpose anymore, you've lost a half of yourself, the future is pointless, no one but her could possibly fill that void in your life, etc. you just gotta find something to occupy that time to let those feelings fade. i look back on my divorce (which wasn't that long ago, it all started unravelling in may 2018, and she was out of the house with finality by september 2019. then covid happened not long after and i was trying to finish my last year of engineering school while i was at home with 2 kids full time lol) and think how blinded by emotion i was. trying to win her back for a while at first, then wallowing in self pity for a year+

it all passes eventually, and life goes on

it doesn't pass automatically tho, you gotta work at that poo poo

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I hope that next year the car ridiculousness calms down. I tried to place an order for a Maverick a few months ago and got nothing but lol in return.

Maverick ordering opened a week and a half ago and closed already 6 days later.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hey Rhyno come down to the Gulf coast of FL and ride out the hurricane it will be fun!

Riding out a hurricane is both terrifying and amazing at the same time :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Someone is getting the new Mavericks. I've seen several on the road. Not a lot, though.

edit:

darnon posted:

Man, it's like people would actually want a small pickup if only someone would build one.

It's me, I want one. At least until I get a farm or something and need a regular pickup.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BraveUlysses posted:

Truly a noble pursuit

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I want a Maverick but I'm gonna wait a few years until they actually have a decent amount in stock to chose from

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I saw one in person the other day and my desire to have one increased. It annoys me that AWD only comes with the 2.0T because it would be my go-skiing ride if I got one, and for that I would prefer AWD.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Yes. This. Can’t overstate this.

Don’t even need much money, and more desirable places also have more jobs. Also, desirable places have much more fun roads for your FiST.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So most people in assembly woke up to an email letting them know our schedules have changed, starting next week.

2 days, 1 day off, 2 nights, 2 nights off. No. Nope. gently caress no. I hate working nights. I'm also on 7 different meds, and being asleep when I should be taking them will severely gently caress up both my diabetes and my blood pressure. Half of my meds are a once a day thing that need to be taken at the same time every day, I don't think I should be taking a blood pressure med that's meant to be taken at bedtime while working (it makes me extremely drowsy if I take it during the day), and I definitely don't need to be taking a benzo while working. Can't really flip flop the time I take those at twice a week without loving up my health. On top of that, I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with cats that lose their poo poo if only one person is awake.

I didn't get the email - yet - but I've been assured it's coming, and I'll probably need a letter requesting reasonable accommodation from my doctor. loving stupid that I need my doctor to request a reasonable accommodation for disabilities that they already know about and have on file, but whatever, I have an upcoming appointment anyway.

darnon posted:

That's for the 23, and from what I've read, it's only closed for the hybrid. The 2.0T is expected to close pretty quick, but the 2.5 is probably going to be available for a little bit.

e: vvv well gently caress me, I read an article dated today earlier, was just parroting the info in it. Sorry.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 26, 2022

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

STR posted:

That's for the 23, and from what I've read, it's only closed for the hybrid. The 2.0T is expected to close pretty quick, but the 2.5 is probably going to be available for a little bit.

Hybrids closed on the 20th, EcoBoost on the 21st. Unless you're in Canada.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
A schedule where you're sometimes working nights and other times working days has been studied scientifically and shown to knock TEN YEARS off a person's life expectancy. It's literally one of the most harmful, damaging things you can do to a human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I want a Maverick but I'm gonna wait a few years until they actually have a decent amount in stock to chose from

I mean, I can't afford/don't want a car payment right now, so... I'm there, too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I saw one in person the other day and my desire to have one increased. It annoys me that AWD only comes with the 2.0T because it would be my go-skiing ride if I got one, and for that I would prefer AWD.

I'd like the hybrid, but all the fun stuff comes with the 2.0T.
Really, I'd like the EV when it finally comes out.

STR posted:

So most people in assembly woke up to an email letting them know our schedules have changed, starting next week.

2 days, 1 day off, 2 nights, 2 nights off. No. Nope. gently caress no. I hate working nights. I'm also on 7 different meds, and being asleep when I should be taking them will severely gently caress up both my diabetes and my blood pressure. Half of my meds are a once a day thing that need to be taken at the same time every day, I don't think I should be taking a blood pressure med that's meant to be taken at bedtime while working (it makes me extremely drowsy if I take it during the day), and I definitely don't need to be taking a benzo while working. Can't really flip flop the time I take those at twice a week without loving up my health. On top of that, I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with cats that lose their poo poo if only one person is awake.

I didn't get the email - yet - but I've been assured it's coming, and I'll probably need a letter requesting reasonable accommodation from my doctor. loving stupid that I need my doctor to request a reasonable accommodation for disabilities that they already know about and have on file, but whatever, I have an upcoming appointment anyway.

Moving fast, breaking things.
Really, how hard is it to just not treat your workers like push-button machines you can use whenever you like?

edit:

Imagined posted:

A schedule where you're sometimes working nights and other times working days has been studied scientifically and shown to knock TEN YEARS off a person's life expectancy. It's literally one of the most harmful, damaging things you can do to a human being.

Oof. Even better.