Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Toffile posted:

What if it's an ad for A Charlie Brown Christmas?

Well, Charlie Brown Christmas is a terrible Christmas special, so...yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
THESE FILES LOAD SO SLOW IT MAKES MY PATIENTS IMPATIENT :v:

THAT DOESN'T KID AROUND :v: :v:

LESS TIME BABYSITTING....YOUR COMPUTER :reject:

YOU GOTTA MAKE AN APPOINTMENT :what: :suicide:

Cyril Sneer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 12, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Oh my god this JC Penney commercial where they changed the lyrics of Feliz Navidad makes me angry. Not only are the lyrics terrible, they actually sound like the laziest lyricist ever wrote them. They make sure to squeeze in the Spanish words amor and grande right at the last second because hey guys it's a Spanish song!

Everyone responsible for this commercial should be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

SpookyLizard posted:

Everyone responsible for this commercial should be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Yeah if this is the best the new marketing brain could do, I say bring back Zyman. Apropos here's a great article about how hosed JCP is right now:

http://kensegall.com/2013/12/jcpenney-forward-to-the-past/

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I just saw a new trailer for The Hobbit. The narrator finally pronounces "Smaug" like a normal person who isn't having a stroke mid-word.

My favorite is the one for the Hobbit tie-in food at Dennys where the voiceover guy says SMAUUWWG that verges on sounding like he's sarcastically over-pronouncing it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hasters posted:

Yeah if this is the best the new marketing brain could do, I say bring back Zyman. Apropos here's a great article about how hosed JCP is right now:

http://kensegall.com/2013/12/jcpenney-forward-to-the-past/

Speaking of that, I recall a round of JCP commercials maybe 6 or so months ago where it was basically them saying "Sorry that we've sucked so hard." Anyone know what I'm talking about or have any idea what that was in reference to?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

Speaking of that, I recall a round of JCP commercials maybe 6 or so months ago where it was basically them saying "Sorry that we've sucked so hard." Anyone know what I'm talking about or have any idea what that was in reference to?

Basically JPC was in dire straits, so in an attempt to survive they hired Ron Johnson, former VP of Retail at Apple, as CEO. The first thing he did was end all of the fake sales, endless coupons, financing offers and other bullshit that was dragging them down. The problem was that he did all that before he actually got around to changing the retail environment. So the old timers who were only there because of the 50% off sale abandoned them for other retailers, and the new customers they were hoping to get didn't want to have a dated retail experience. In the end the board got scared, called in the guy who handled New Coke marketing to make the apology ads and then hired back the old CEO they fired in the first place.

vvv I loved his idea of a department store being a collection of miniature brand stores rather than trying to make everything feel homogenous, it's literally the exact opposite of what he did at Apple. vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 13, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ah. Looks like the ad I was thinking of is linked right in the article:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBkKJdKrhCY

As much as I dislike Apple and its advertising, it looks like he had the right idea. It's no surprise he was behind Target's marketing though, the commercials were almost identical during that time span (and boy do Target's commercials loving suck now). But of course corporate management is unique in that failure will get you farther along than good ideas ever will. Hiring the guy from New Coke is right up there with CNN hiring the guy who ran NBC into the ground.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 13, 2013

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hasters posted:

vvv I loved his idea of a department store being a collection of miniature brand stores rather than trying to make everything feel homogenous, it's literally the exact opposite of what he did at Apple. vvv

I hate it. It actually makes stuff harder to find. The biggest Macy's in my area did it. If you're looking for something that's not a line big enough to have it's mini-store, it's really tough to track down where all the men's dress shirts are. I can find Polo Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, and Tommy Hilfiger but hell if I can figure out where...anyone else is. It seems really counter intuitive.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sash! posted:

I hate it. It actually makes stuff harder to find. The biggest Macy's in my area did it. If you're looking for something that's not a line big enough to have it's mini-store, it's really tough to track down where all the men's dress shirts are. I can find Polo Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, and Tommy Hilfiger but hell if I can figure out where...anyone else is. It seems really counter intuitive.

If you don't buy brands, or don't have brand loyalty then you are absolutely right; however the most desirable customers, as typified by the Apple fan, do both. For example I only wear Levi's, so I loved the Levi's store inside JCP. To me having multiple brands available is far less important than having a great selection of the brand I will actually purchase. There's a saying that the internet only want's one of everything, the best, and I think that applies to a lot of people as well.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Kay Jewelers is running this creepy Open Hearts commercial again this yaer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-vGUxyrthA

Every kiss begins with Kay. And sick ends with Kay, too.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Every kiss begins with Chris Hansen.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sash! posted:

Having worked not for, but inside of, a Macys/Marshall Fields, the Macys store brands eat dick. They're priced the same, if not higher, than their Fields equivalents (this was openly stated to is during the transition meetings), but the quality is much lower. The Naomi Klein idea of not whoring yourself out to brands certainly is noble, but don't sacrifice the quality while doing it--Macys, and I'm guessing most other department stores, isn't where you go to avoid brands and find quality. H&M has better quality and lower prices, Goodwill is a great place to go, I've had good luck with Target, any kind of local vintage store is usually pretty good as long as you are looking for casual wear, and the TJ Maxx style stores are spotty on a single visit basis, but great if you can go a few times in a week.

On another note, I actually like this year's Target ads compared to those with the overly excited blonde lady. They don't use currently popular music, or twee indie bullshit, and they all show products that are for sale without some kind of stupid script. Here's some music, some products, and some people interacting with them not cracking awful jokes about needing batteries.

I really hate christmas music, though, so those are pretty much the best ads on TV right now in my book.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I can never figure out the price of anything at Macy's because it seems like the entire store is on sale some amount (plus more if you have a coupon or Macy's card) 4 days a week. I think this is the problem JC Penney tried to fix but in the end they're still a crappy store so it doesn't matter.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ElwoodCuse posted:

I can never figure out the price of anything at Macy's because it seems like the entire store is on sale some amount (plus more if you have a coupon or Macy's card) 4 days a week. I think this is the problem JC Penney tried to fix but in the end they're still a crappy store so it doesn't matter.

I'll use any excuse to post this:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ElwoodCuse posted:

The sale price is the real price, the "regular" price is the sucker price. It's like car sales pricing--no one pays sticker. When I last worked inside a Macys, the year had 364 days of business (no Christmas). There were ~250 (margin of error being 10) sale days. I remember it was either 250 or it rounded to 250; thus the margin of error.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
A local car dealership is pushing pet adoptions. To do so, they make a dog look like a nightmare trying to eat you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVu4dTVGLpc

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Kay Jewelers is running this creepy Open Hearts commercial again this yaer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-vGUxyrthA

Every kiss begins with Kay. And sick ends with Kay, too.
I hate the message that the commercial with the man on the swingset with the child sends. It's basically saying, "Not even kids are immune from shiny jewelry."

Also the jewelry stores make 1 or 2 new commercials a year for the Christmas season and just recycle the rest of the ones that aired in previous years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also do the ads where they make sure to show the jewelry in a cutaway so that they can just edit in whatever the new item is.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Anybody hate any commercials more than most because they portray a job you do? I'm a flight attendant and I think this gives me a special hatred for the recent Jared commercial and that Geico pig ad.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I recently found out that both Kay Jewelers and Jared Galleria of Jewelry are owned by the same company, which explains why they both have loving awful commercials.

Also, gently caress Lexus Christmas commercials.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

There's another one where some guy is traveling around with his equally gorgeous supermodel-looking wife talking about "Aw shucks she's just a regular gal but she's special to me so I buy her jewelry from Kay."

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013
The jewelry industry has really stepped up their game of heaping poo poo on a poo poo heap this year. Chocolate diamonds? What the gently caress is wrong with you people?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Are chocolate diamonds just trying to market really lovely diamonds?

The Pandora charm bracelet is still the worst of the worst. Always hilarious to see one of their commercials showing some rich woman wearing one, when it is the most god-awful, tacky, gaudy, piece of jewelry I could imagine buying.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Meltathon posted:

Put it this way - a decade ago they would be considered lovely diamonds, but other than color there's not really a difference.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ILL ON PZONES posted:

The jewelry industry has really stepped up their game of heaping poo poo on a poo poo heap this year.

There's a great one for People's on TV here showing a kid who can't even be 10 buying a diamond necklace for his mom. The commercial even ends with "diamonds starting at $200"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Meltathon posted:

The Pandora charm bracelet is still the worst of the worst. Always hilarious to see one of their commercials showing some rich woman wearing one, when it is the most god-awful, tacky, gaudy, piece of jewelry I could imagine buying.

There's a Pandora store in the mall here and it is wall to wall at Christmas and Mothers day. For overpriced trinkety crap, I don't get it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Y-Hat posted:

I hate the message that the commercial with the man on the swingset with the child sends. It's basically saying, "Not even kids are immune from shiny jewelry."

Also the jewelry stores make 1 or 2 new commercials a year for the Christmas season and just recycle the rest of the ones that aired in previous years.

I don't have a problem with the guy buying jewelry for his stepdaughter, but I'm pretty sure there's something more age appropriate out there. Not the same loving necklace he gave her mom.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

There's a Pandora store in the mall here and it is wall to wall at Christmas and Mothers day. For overpriced trinkety crap, I don't get it.

I live in the Midwest--a lot of people here equate higher price with more taste.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't have a problem with the guy buying jewelry for his stepdaughter, but I'm pretty sure there's something more age appropriate out there. Not the same loving necklace he gave her mom.

It really seems like dating the mom is just a means to an end if he's buying the daughter expensive jewelry. I get a real Humbert Humbert vibe from that ad.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
In addition to the poo poo diamonds I've seen a different ad for diamonds of other colors. I feel like if I were going to buy jewelery I'd rather have a ruby or emerald than a red or green diamond

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Timett posted:

In addition to the poo poo diamonds I've seen a different ad for diamonds of other colors. I feel like if I were going to buy jewelery I'd rather have a ruby or emerald than a red or green diamond

You'd also be spending way less money.

A red diamond was a terrible clarity but good color can hit $100,000 for a quarter carat. You can get a decent quarter carat ruby for a few hundred bucks.

Diamonds amuse me because I do recognize the value of stones of extremely high quality and rare combination of traits, but that I once had a job that used so much black diamonds slurry as polishing agents that I have work boots that still sparkle with diamond dust.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 14, 2013

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Timett posted:

But diamonds! Sales people when my husband and I went to get my engagement ring a few years back first though I was joking and then baffled that I wanted a peridot instead of a diamond as my stone... because diamond, I guess.

Chocolate diamonds have got super popular in the last few years too. Frankly, I think they look pretty terrible.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Plus upon really looking at chocolate diamonds I've realized that they aren't even chocolate colored. They are more light brown, and the "chocolate" color comes from the fact that they loving tint the gold around the gems brown. It's like me wearing a brown shirt and proclaiming myself African American.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sash! posted:

You'd also be spending way less money.

A red diamond was a terrible clarity but good color can hit $100,000 for a quarter carat. You can get a decent quarter carat ruby for a few hundred bucks.

Diamonds amuse me because I do recognize the value of stones of extremely high quality and rare combination of traits, but that I once had a job that used so much black diamonds slurry as polishing agents that I have work boots that still sparkle with diamond dust.

If you recognize the value of stones, then you know that the "value" of diamonds is a result of price fixing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

raditts posted:

If you recognize the value of stones, then you know that the "value" of diamonds is a result of price fixing.

Fun fact: those rubies and emeralds are way more rare and intrinsically valuable than the overpriced diamonds. And probably are responsible for less deaths and maimings.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

raditts posted:

There are actually rare stones though. I'm talking about the ultra-high end museum pieces. There's only a few hundred diamonds that are rated flawless.

Meteorites are ridiculously common, but there's only that one that's shaped kinda like a tire that's in the Smithsonian.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Diamonds are good for cutting tools and drillbits but that's about it imo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Said the guy that's never watched Diamonds are Forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Diamonds are pretty but so's lots of other stuff.

If you want to give someone a pretty looking gem that's cheap nowadays you can just do Lapis Lazuli. It's even considered historically a rare gem on the level of sapphires so it's not like you're going cubic zirconium on your significant other.