Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wouldn’t have thought so, since that’s basically the purpose of them, but you seem to disagree. the lockscreen background image is also available without a PIN, and the device’s notion of the current time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

hasn't there been like a dozen different ways to get the full photos or contacts list on iOS directly from the lock screen because of some loopholes in the ui? how can that be if the data on the phone is encrypted with the pin?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it’s encrypted behind the PIN after reboot, until first unlock

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

CmdrRiker posted:

I love it when people who know nothing about software security think they know everything about software security. https://www.npr.org/2020/02/21/805032627/trump-administration-targets-your-warrant-proof-encrypted-messages

quote:

But law enforcement officials remain dubious that a secure back door can't be created for their warrant requests.

"To suggest that this is not possible, I just can't buy that," says the FBI's Jones.

"Pull requests welcome."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/letsencrypt/status/1230957211590873088

:)

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Let's Encrypt saved my rear end by being baked into Bomgar when my company didn't know how to Certificate

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Doom Mathematic posted:

"Pull requests welcome."

please don't put your grindr profile in your sig

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

dont git shame

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Krankenstyle posted:

dont git blame

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Krankenstyle posted:

lol at autodecrypting contacts on boot

netplwiz.exe

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

physical security fuckup: NBNco, the company created by the government responsible for deploying a FTTP FTTN network to all premises most premises i guess (long story, basically conservative gov got into power in 2013 and hosed it all to poo poo) across the entirety of AU, installed a fibre drop and 24RU network cabinet at my apartment complex...in the unsecured bin shed. not in the existing secured MDF cabinet but in the bin shed accessible to anyone who gets into the common area or underground car park attached to the apartment complex.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Methanar posted:

Is there an iot furnace yet. I want to streamline and disrupt the thermostat middle man industry and connect my natural gas combuster directly to the internet

This is industrial/office HVAC.

Systems that have the capacity to injure people and destroy property run XP (edit - and ancient Andriod) connected to "secure backnets" that are just tcp/ip networks badly partitioned from existing corporate infrastructure.

You haven't felt fury until you've been shrugged off by a bunch of fat, 50-year-old, pickup-driving hicks who confidently assure you that your security concerns are a non-issue because everything is connected to this "backnet."

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 23, 2020

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Potato Salad posted:

This is industrial/office HVAC.

Systems that have the capacity to injure people and destroy property run XP (edit - and ancient Andriod) connected to "secure backnets" that are just tcp/ip networks badly partitioned from existing corporate infrastructure.

You haven't felt fury until you've been shrugged off by a bunch of fat, 50-year-old, pickup-driving hicks who confidently assure you that your security concerns are a non-issue because everything is connected to this "backnet."

you know "bacnet" is a protocol yeah

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

baby got bacnet

edit: building got bacnet

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

abigserve posted:

you know "bacnet" is a protocol yeah

today I learned something!

im wondering if this is contributing to the confusion -- facility guys not really realizing that their unpatched endpoints are actually on improperly-segregated, chatty tcp/ip networks instead of a separate control network

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 23, 2020

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

im wondering if this is contributing to the confusion -- facility guys not really realizing that their unpatched endpoints are actually on improperly-segregated, chatty tcp/ip networks instead of a separate control network

guaranteed most people dealing with this poo poo are just electricians entirely unaware of anything beyond plugging poo poo in (edit: as in they don't care about anything beyond layer 1) (and why should they, there's no accreditation or standards for installing this poo poo, as long as it works they get paid).

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
There is though, it's just not their job. Electricians have to qualify under an apprenticeship. They hook it up to plan, and yeah as long as it works, they get paid. Facility won't care, because they get paid to maintain it, not plan it. It's the fault of the doofus that decided to hook the pos system, automation, and wifi up to the same lan.

The best way to get it fixed is to get them to cut you another contract to tell their cj's what to rearrange.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is bacnet even mac based layer 2? i know layer 1 is ethernet, but i thought everything above that was completely different. to the extent that it's exposed to your regular tcp/ip network it's through a gateway device specifically designed to provide an interface to the bacnet gear

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

iirc bacnet can run on multiple layers so in addition to bacnet over rs-485 it could be ethernet or ip etc etc

sounds like they’re running on an (*isolated*, lol) ip network

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

when you discover bits of a client's HVAC infra via shodan, there's work to be done

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Potato Salad posted:

when you discover bits of a client's HVAC infra via shodan, there's work to be done

adiabatic thinking, number one

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Potato Salad posted:

ah the Target strategy

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

infernal machines posted:

is bacnet even mac based layer 2? i know layer 1 is ethernet, but i thought everything above that was completely different. to the extent that it's exposed to your regular tcp/ip network it's through a gateway device specifically designed to provide an interface to the bacnet gear
I've only seen bacnet over udp myself, because that's the only time it's been relevant I guess. As I understand it, bacnet can be run over a wide selection of link layers. i assume the advantage of using udp is that it's easy to implement with just sockets (that is, you can run a management ui over http that sends bacnet messages over the same interface), cables are cheap and can make long runs, and all of the equipment is commonplace.

The other benefit is that you might not need to run another cable at all! But of course that has it's issues ...

I might be just pulling this out of my rear end based on the couple of times I have seen it, both at hotels for some reason.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Oh, and now that I remember, in the case of hotels at least ... room thermostats were on the same bacnet network as everything else.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
huh. there's moderate sized bacnet deployment at one of my client's offices, i thought it was physically independent of the building management network. i guess i'll take a poke around the next time i'm there.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

infernal machines posted:

huh. there's moderate sized bacnet deployment at one of my client's offices, i thought it was physically independent of the building management network. i guess i'll take a poke around the next time i'm there.

Please keep us updated on how the poop touching is going for you

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Oooh, this chat reminds me of a great talk at FOSDEM this year, which has great potential to be a secfuck:

https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/modbus_2020/

:eng101:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pile Of Garbage posted:

physical security fuckup: NBNco, the company created by the government responsible for deploying a FTTP FTTN network to all premises most premises i guess (long story, basically conservative gov got into power in 2013 and hosed it all to poo poo) across the entirety of AU, installed a fibre drop and 24RU network cabinet at my apartment complex...in the unsecured bin shed. not in the existing secured MDF cabinet but in the bin shed accessible to anyone who gets into the common area or underground car park attached to the apartment complex.

I've heard of cgi-bin but this is ridiculous!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

cgi-bin

Is this where they dump rejected live action sonic designs

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Potato Salad posted:

where's that article where someone found a random cat 5 cable on the bridge of an oil tanker and it turned out to be some sort of internal engineering diagnostic/control network that nobody knew about

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

not to be confused with where they dump bizarre hyper-expensive graphics workstations, sgi-bin

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

unpacked robinhood posted:

It's where they dump all of the animators just before release :smith:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
One thing I've noticed with facilities systems is that facilitates purchasing is super different to other purchasing internally for some reason

Like if you go out to tender for servers, you go out to tender for a huge stack of them and it becomes your encumbant solution so you can buy more if needed until it's time for a full refresh

Facilities they get three quotes for loving everything and pick the cheapest. Even if it's the same thing they'll get three quotes and buy a totally different solution if it's cheaper. A HVAC monitoring system one building away from another one will be a totally different vendor, installed and managed by someone else. It's mental.

I remember once convincing a big BMS solution to use dhcp and reservations instead of static addressing because it's easier and cleaner, so they rolled out two hundred devices without a hitch.

The exact same solution, for the same purpose, starts in the next state over...and they buy equipment that doesn't do dhcp

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

where's that article where someone found a random cat 5 cable on the bridge of an oil tanker and it turned out to be some sort of internal engineering diagnostic/control network that nobody knew about
it was cybergibbons on the twitters

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

abigserve posted:

equipment that doesn't do dhcp

I honestly didn't know this was possible in tyool 2020

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

NecroBob posted:

there’ll always be someone who’s willing to disable a feature and knock a cent off the price to get beancounters’ business

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

NecroBob posted:

our LARGEST CUSTOMER sourced OUR PRODUCT from a BEST BUY and plugged it into their IT closet and it TOOK DOWN their ENTIRE NETWORK

I dont CARE what the spec sheet says, TAKE IT OUT

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sniep posted:

our LARGEST CUSTOMER sourced OUR PRODUCT from a BEST BUY and plugged it into their IT closet and it TOOK DOWN their ENTIRE NETWORK

I dont CARE what the spec sheet says, TAKE IT OUT

We had a lab network that was suppoed to be VLAN'ed and sandboxes. One day they enabled DHCP on a POC device.....and it took down the switch on that floor.

It wasn't as sandboxed as they claimed.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i haven't seen the article but i have experienced that exact situation a couple times off-shore on drilling rigs and deep-water subsea/pipelay vessels . poo poo is so haphazard out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

abigserve posted:

One thing I've noticed with facilities systems is that facilitates purchasing is super different to other purchasing internally for some reason

Like if you go out to tender for servers, you go out to tender for a huge stack of them and it becomes your encumbant solution so you can buy more if needed until it's time for a full refresh

Facilities they get three quotes for loving everything and pick the cheapest. Even if it's the same thing they'll get three quotes and buy a totally different solution if it's cheaper. A HVAC monitoring system one building away from another one will be a totally different vendor, installed and managed by someone else. It's mental.

I remember once convincing a big BMS solution to use dhcp and reservations instead of static addressing because it's easier and cleaner, so they rolled out two hundred devices without a hitch.

The exact same solution, for the same purpose, starts in the next state over...and they buy equipment that doesn't do dhcp

it’s the thing where free market makes efficient and good decisions because of freedom of choice op

like a robotics startup paying phds for time spent freeing space on their laptops because gently caress spending a tiny bit more to get a disk that can actually hold the necessary software instead of taping an external hdd to a rugged machine meant to go on outdoors field testing