Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm basically blind, but if I didn't wear contacts, I'd definitely be balling in some Horace Grant-style goggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
We play 1s only (first to 11 wins, gotta win by 2) because we don't have lines put down, and yet people STILL bomb it from what would be 3 point land. I guess old habits die hard.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

rscott posted:

We play 1s only (first to 11 wins, gotta win by 2) because we don't have lines put down, and yet people STILL bomb it from what would be 3 point land. I guess old habits die hard.

There's nothing wrong with this if that's actually in their range. Counterpoint: that's never in their range.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

spamman posted:

One of the guys I play with bit the bullet and went for some goggles, he maintains it's the best thing he's ever done for his game.

I just started playing in a social league for the first time ever and after pretty much only ever playing 3 on 3 my entire life I'm completely lost on offence. I figure it'll get better with time, but my only real use at the moment is setting high screens and offensive rebounding.

Oh, and it's absolutely 1s and 2s and make it take it (we call it possession). And you must win by two.
It's the other way around for me. After playing full-court 5-on-5 for over 10 years, going back to 3-on-3 games was like playing a completely different sport. People just stood around, and whoever had the ball just hoisted it up. It was terrrrible. I need to move back to a bigger city, one that has gyms where you can get decent full court games. I want to run people ragged, drat it!

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

spamman posted:

One of the guys I play with bit the bullet and went for some goggles, he maintains it's the best thing he's ever done for his game.

I just started playing in a social league for the first time ever and after pretty much only ever playing 3 on 3 my entire life I'm completely lost on offence. I figure it'll get better with time, but my only real use at the moment is setting high screens and offensive rebounding.

Oh, and it's absolutely 1s and 2s and make it take it (we call it possession). And you must win by two.

Recspecs were the best thing I ever did. I can't wear contacts and I had such a problem with not only seeing the rim, but also seeing things like where teammates were looking for passes. I was always a decent defender and rebounder, but only when I got recspecs could I contribute offensively.

Don't just set high screens, set lots of off-ball screens for other guys cutting. Whatever you do, don't get caught just sitting on the perimeter, always be moving somehow. Don't drag your defender near your teammate if he's got the ball in the post, but otherwise, movement is key.

1+2s to 16, win by 2. Strait win at 21.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I prefer to think of them as James Worthy goggles.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

duodenum posted:

I prefer to think of them as James Worthy goggles.

:geno: Not even the most noteworthy player on the Lakers to wear them :cmon:

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

The B_36 posted:

I have unresolved issues still with guys who shoot three's all the time in pickup games tho. gently caress them.

Ugh I loving hate the fat unathletic guy that thinks he's hot poo poo even though he can barely get up and down the court and can't cover his man except for trying to be overly physical and just stands at the 3 point line when his team has the ball bombing 3s.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Jota posted:

Ugh I loving hate the fat unathletic guy that thinks he's hot poo poo even though he can barely get up and down the court and can't cover his man except for trying to be overly physical and just stands at the 3 point line when his team has the ball bombing 3s.
That's another reason why I prefer to play 5-on-5 full court. Those fat guys usually drop out after the first five minutes of run and gun.

edit: v I'm convinced that shooting sleeve guy is the same person all around the world. My shooting sleeve guy was named Ivan (his real name), and he was always decked out in Jordan brand stuff, plus a shooting sleeve and several finger sleeves. Needless to say, he was really, really bad.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 26, 2013

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

As a college student i find the best guys to play pickup with are at the university Rec center. The rules there are standard 1's and 2's, play to 15 and win by 2. There are 12+ courts with wildly different levels of skill which is nice depending what aspects of my game I feel like working on. (not much of a scorer but with less skilled competition i can be more aggressive looking for my shot without hurting my team).

Just be wary of any dude who shows up with a shooting sleeve... 8 out of 10 times he's gonna do his best Corey Maggette impression. Over driving and jacking up contested 3's.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Jack's Flow posted:

That's another reason why I prefer to play 5-on-5 full court. Those fat guys usually drop out after the first five minutes of run and gun.

edit: v I'm convinced that shooting sleeve guy is the same person all around the world. My shooting sleeve guy was named Ivan (his real name), and he was always decked out in Jordan brand stuff, plus a shooting sleeve and several finger sleeves. Needless to say, he was really, really bad.

My mental image for Ivan is a white guy with pasty flabby arms, a headband and 45 Lbs overweight. Wears a lot of sleeveless tanks.

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 26, 2013

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The B_36 posted:

I have unresolved issues still with guys who shoot three's all the time in pickup games tho. gently caress them.

There's nothing worse than these guys. Unless you are hitting 50% of your threes, I do not want you shooting three's. No matter how good you think you are, you are hurting your team. Get in the loving paint and rebound like everyone else. Set some picks, cut to the basket. Do SOMETHING.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Dogs Bower posted:

Just be wary of any dude who shows up with a shooting sleeve... 8 out of 10 times he's gonna do his best Corey Maggette impression. Over driving and jacking up contested 3's.

I had to buy a set of sleeve when I went overseas so my 'real' sleeve was covered while I was at the customer site. Gonna wear sleeves at basketball now and be Corey Maggette.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

RCarr posted:

There's nothing worse than these guys. Unless you are hitting 50% of your threes, I do not want you shooting three's. No matter how good you think you are, you are hurting your team. Get in the loving paint and rebound like everyone else. Set some picks, cut to the basket. Do SOMETHING.

Well, they're not actually hurting their team unless they're only hitting like 30% of them, especially if it's 1&2. They are, however, hurting the spirit of the game. You can shoot 3's, but you should use it more as a supplement to your game, not the entirety of it. Be a man and take the ball to the hoop, it's alot more fun.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Regnevelc posted:

I had to buy a set of sleeve when I went overseas so my 'real' sleeve was covered while I was at the customer site. Gonna wear sleeves at basketball now and be Corey Maggette.

2 Maggette related thoughts.

1) If you play like him your team will suck. Hes been in the league for 14 years and made the playoffs once

2) HE WENT TO DUKE! He is such an anti coach K guy.

Back on topic though, what kind of game do yo play Regnevelc?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Dogs Bower posted:

2 Maggette related thoughts.

1) If you play like him your team will suck. Hes been in the league for 14 years and made the playoffs once

2) HE WENT TO DUKE! He is such an anti coach K guy.

Back on topic though, what kind of game do yo play Regnevelc?

I'm 5'9.5; 215 lbs - I can jump and dunk a mini basketball (well last time I tried I could....).

I have zero handles, but I can get to the rim relatively easy, and I'm an average outside shooter. It really depends on how much energy I want to exert that game and who else is on my team. I'll get down there and rebound though on D.

gently caress defense, though.

I don't think I'm any good though, but the guy who organizes it all was asked to walk onto Ball State's team while we were down there and he always gets me the ball and tells me to do what I do, so who knows?

E: You?

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 26, 2013

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

RCarr posted:

That's a pretty high standard you're holding your teammates to there. I doubt you shoot whatever the equivalent to 50% from 3 is from 2.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Since 2 pointers are worth twice as much as 1s, if they're shooting 25% from 2, that's just as good as shooting 50% from anywhere inside the arc, soooo

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I play defense and rebound. like you I cant handle well enough to play point but i am a good passer from the post and clean up on the offensive glass. I'm about 6' feet but broad shouldered and can muscle around in the post. I try to do the little stuff when i play with good scorers.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

jyrka posted:

That's a pretty high standard you're holding your teammates to there. I doubt you shoot whatever the equivalent to 50% from 3 is from 2.

I can't shoot threes for my life and I will never take one in a game. I do however out-rebound most everyone on a consistent basis. This leads to plenty of free put-backs. I will outscore any player who just sits on the three point line. Most of their points come from my assist after I kick out a rebound anyway. I just have a hatred for three point shooters because 90% of them think that because they can shoot they don't have to play defense, set picks, or rebound.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

RCarr posted:

I can't shoot threes for my life and I will never take one in a game. I do however out-rebound most everyone on a consistent basis. This leads to plenty of free put-backs. I will outscore any player who just sits on the three point line. Most of their points come from my assist after I kick out a rebound anyway. I just have a hatred for three point shooters because 90% of them think that because they can shoot they don't have to play defense, set picks, or rebound.

So what if i'm a big man who boxes out, plays d, and drains from 3. Is that acceptable?

Pick up is just 1v1 ball anyway. Everyone down in San Diego thinks they're Kobe and just wants to take the world on 1 on 5. Is it different in other places?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

thompson posted:

So what if i'm a big man who boxes out, plays d, and drains from 3. Is that acceptable?

Yeah, that's awesome. But it is extremely rare. My pickup games involve all my old high school teammates and other close friends so we tend to be pretty competitive. If someone starts Kobe-ing then they are gonna hear it from their teammates unless they are on fire. I just can't stand losing close games when 2 or 3 players on my team decide they want to do nothing but stand at the three point line all day and never cut, post up, or go in for rebounds.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

At the end of the day if you keep getting picked to run, whatever your doing is working.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Dogs Bower posted:

My mental image for Ivan is a white guy with pasty flabby arms, a headband and 45 Lbs overweight. Wears a lot of sleeveless tanks.
Ha, that's actually spot on. Especially the headband. But instead of 45 Lbs overweight, he was like 90 Lbs soaking wet. But always rocking sleeveless tanks. He was quite intimidating!

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

thompson posted:

Pick up is just 1v1 ball anyway. Everyone down in San Diego thinks they're Kobe and just wants to take the world on 1 on 5. Is it different in other places?

My local pickup games usually involve a pile of dribbling so you can make a pass to a cutter who will shoot

CrazyLikeAMadDog posted:

Don't just set high screens, set lots of off-ball screens for other guys cutting. Whatever you do, don't get caught just sitting on the perimeter, always be moving somehow. Don't drag your defender near your teammate if he's got the ball in the post, but otherwise, movement is key.

I try to do that but a couple of them are young and play in the state league and still don't know how to use a cross or pindown screen so it usually just results in me dragging an extra defender to that area. Also, for some reason they'd rather take a contested jumper than shoot over a screen I'm giving them. It's weird.

BIZORT posted:

Learn how to move without the ball. I'm a pretty terrible 1 on 1 player from getting hurt so much but in a team game I'm pretty drat good. Cut to the basket a lot and when you do, cut hard and be ready to receive the ball. Have it in your mind every time you cut that you are going to have the ball passed to you. It's loving annoying when you pass the ball to a guy cutting and it keeps hitting off his hands because he's either not ready for it or didn't want the ball anyway, aka scared. It's a lot of fun to play this way if your teammates play with their heads up. Unfortunately, my rec league team, while some of them are very good, simply don't look to pass the ball once they've made their mind up that they're going to shoot the ball and it's incredibly frustrating sometimes. Other things you can do is if someone goes in for a layup, go hard at the rim after he shoots for the offensive rebound or, if you're lucky, he'll see you and you have yourself an easy layup. Playing and moving off the ball is an art form in itself and a lot of fun. My favorite pickup ball play is I get the ball around the midrange area and have the guard curl around me. As he curls around, he runs his defender into me and I pick his defender and then I pass the ball to him as he cuts. Easy layup and works 3 or 4 times a game.

edit: Simplest thing you can do in terms of moving without the ball in a pickup game is just run in a sideways U constantly. Guys playing defense in a pickup game barely care and most of the time they're only playing waiting to get the ball again to shoot so take advantage. Start in one of the corners, run the baseline, curl back toward the free throw line and back to the side of the court you started at, and keep doing it. Someone will lose you and you'll end up with a free jumper or layup at some point.

Thanks for the advice, I've been trying to do similar things but I mainly keep getting in the way of other guys that are moving. I guess I just need to keep moving and be a little more aware of where my team mates are.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

spamman posted:

I try to do that but a couple of them are young and play in the state league and still don't know how to use a cross or pindown screen so it usually just results in me dragging an extra defender to that area. Also, for some reason they'd rather take a contested jumper than shoot over a screen I'm giving them. It's weird.

I've noticed that there's an abundance of people who do not know what to do when a pick is set for them. It's not rocket science here, come on.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

quote:

I REBOUND :smug:
:goonsay:

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
This thread spurred me to join a local Saturday league because it made me realize how much I miss organized basketball over pickup ball.

Thanks guys!

Gunna holster tripples and rebound my rear end off.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

spamman posted:

Thanks for the advice, I've been trying to do similar things but I mainly keep getting in the way of other guys that are moving. I guess I just need to keep moving and be a little more aware of where my team mates are.

You're going to bump into them sometimes. I do it in my league games all the time. Don't even think about it and just continue on your way. Sometimes it frees you up since your defenders get caught in your mess and don't pick the right guy up as you split back up and you get open. Anyway, like anything, you'll get better as it as you do it more often.

The #1 play in pickup ball is the pick and roll, which might be common sense to you but figure that one out and you'll get an easy couple of points a game. Learn when to cut backdoor; when your guy looks the other way at something, cut hard to the basket. Easy bucket. And learn how to step on the other guys feet when you're both going for a rebound to keep him on the floor to be a cheat, aka GOOD VETERAN MOVE

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

BIZORT posted:

You're going to bump into them sometimes. I do it in my league games all the time. Don't even think about it and just continue on your way. Sometimes it frees you up since your defenders get caught in your mess and don't pick the right guy up as you split back up and you get open. Anyway, like anything, you'll get better as it as you do it more often.

The #1 play in pickup ball is the pick and roll, which might be common sense to you but figure that one out and you'll get an easy couple of points a game. Learn when to cut backdoor; when your guy looks the other way at something, cut hard to the basket. Easy bucket. And learn how to step on the other guys feet when you're both going for a rebound to keep him on the floor to be a cheat, aka GOOD VETERAN MOVE

Stepping on someones feet is not a "good Veteran move" its stupid and anyone can rebound or at least prevent their man from grabbing the board if you simply boxout. When old dudes start trying to do that poo poo i start jumping with my elbows up and in. The "veteran" gets smacked in the head and it's his own drat fault.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Here's where I play.

I've been thinking of joining a rec league or something with a few friends. Do we need to find enough to dudes to fill out a whole team or is there matching or something?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Rick posted:

Here's where I play.

I've been thinking of joining a rec league or something with a few friends. Do we need to find enough to dudes to fill out a whole team or is there matching or something?

The tree is dunking?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Dogs Bower posted:

Stepping on someones feet is not a "good Veteran move" its stupid and anyone can rebound or at least prevent their man from grabbing the board if you simply boxout. When old dudes start trying to do that poo poo i start jumping with my elbows up and in. The "veteran" gets smacked in the head and it's his own drat fault.

He was making an obvious joke.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Regnevelc posted:

He was making an obvious joke.

I know he was but there are plenty of old dudes who do things like that.

E: I was playing ball at the park today and we were getting murdered in the paint and I ended up getting kinda pissed and saying something about how bad our rotations were. I may have yelled "If you get help, help the helper!" I wasn't totally an rear end in a top hat and didn't call anyone out specifically but I wanted to win and said something about it. My question is, is that too far for a pickup game? Or simply being competitive and involved in a close game?

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 29, 2013

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

My rec league team won the title for our division so we moved up into a better division. Our first game was tonight against a team that was much better than us, in my opinion, but, after a guy stepped on my foot and acted like he blew his knee out, lying on the floor screaming in sheer agony like he'd been shot for a good 10 minutes, the other team just lost it. They yelled at the refs after every call, even after one that went their way, and completely lost their composure. We won by 20 and I have no idea how it happened.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
Guys I need more post moves. I'm drop stepping into baby hooks/jump hooks, and pivoting out into pretty high % leaner/jumpers, but after so many games of 1 on 1 my roommate is catching onto my game.

Help me expand my repertoire

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

IanTheM posted:

The tree is dunking?

I don't know if the monsoons blew the branch into the hoop, which would be cool, because it would be like the force of nature finally decided to go strong to the rack, or if some rapscallions placed it there, but yes.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

The one true heezy posted:

Guys I need more post moves. I'm drop stepping into baby hooks/jump hooks, and pivoting out into pretty high % leaner/jumpers, but after so many games of 1 on 1 my roommate is catching onto my game.

TURN AROUND JUMPER! That's my favorite shot to hit.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

You now need to learn this move:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoDKtzjLS9k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Learn the up and under. Once you drop a few hooks, your defender will start to bite on that. So just pump fake the hook and when he tries to block it, pivot and go across your body. Plus it looks pretty when you pull it off. If you are comfortable enough, try to incorporate a spin move into your post game.

• Locked thread