Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Sundowner posted:

I don't have PMs unfortunately. You could message on via my YouTube channel, I guess?

:doh: "Of course he can't see messages on SA on youtube, I better ask in thread if he bought SA account upgrades!"

Anywho, sent, and eagerly awaiting the next video. That Hall of Heroes is a doozy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'm halfway through the game and was enjoying all your theories and comments. Out of curiosity I went to a youtube video that explored what happens if you don't throw the baseball at the beginning.

Some dick spoiled the ending in the comments.

And the comment was voted up.

loving youtube.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'm halfway through the game and was enjoying all your theories and comments. Out of curiosity I went to a youtube video that explored what happens if you don't throw the baseball at the beginning.

Some dick spoiled the ending in the comments.

And the comment was voted up.

loving youtube.

https://addons.mozilla.org/En-us/firefox/addon/commentblocker/

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Or, if you just want to block Youtube comments specifically, while simultaneously reminding yourself why you wanted to do that: http://www.tannr.com/herp-derp-youtube-comments/

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Thank you, installed that extension. Ironically I just reached this post by Sundowner:

Sundowner posted:

And yes, be careful when searching up some of the music or things people mention as there tends to always be some buffoon who nonchalantly discusses things from the late game or ending without considering that others may not have played the game. Oh and also related videos on YouTube can be a problem, too. I'd even go as far as to say don't look up any of the music of this game because there are some pretty cool pieces that you may not expect that really could only have been special in the context of the game.
No kidding.

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 3, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Just want to let y'all know that I should have an update out tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. Been super busy this week and dealing with being unwell on to of lovely sleep, in general I'll still be posting weekly on Tuesdays.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008
I just got this game, partly because of this thread, and it really is great. The combat is more fun than I expected, since I'm not really an FPS fan, and the game really is beautiful. I'm really looking forward to where this game is going now, the plot is pretty strange. Hopefully it's not all a dream.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Abilifier posted:

I just got this game, partly because of this thread, and it really is great. The combat is more fun than I expected, since I'm not really an FPS fan, and the game really is beautiful. I'm really looking forward to where this game is going now, the plot is pretty strange. Hopefully it's not all a dream.

Don't be a Dimwit like me and search for youtube videos of music or stuff about the game until you're done, lest ye be spoiled one of the coolest stories this side of PC gaming!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Just come into this thread and I've already noticed you missed out a really fun ingame joke about the Luteces.
If you remain idle near them (like when you're in the boat and when you've flipped the coin) Rosalind will make sarcastic comments about you.
From what I remember, in the boat she'll say something along the lines of "Perhaps he doesn't climb, either", and if you let her go through all her comments after flipping the coin, the last is "If you don't go, I'll be forced to start repeating myself" before she recycles her lines.
It's a nice little bit of fun that I never noticed the first time around.
(As an aside, I'm pretty sure you choose tails in the PS3 version, although I can't remember now)

Roro fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 3, 2013

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
She also has more than a few things to say if you starting shooting/swinging your claw at her when you see them in the bar (where you first get the shield).

"Missed."
"Missed again."
"Best out of five?"

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?
"You'll find the going tough enough without squandering your friends."

"Or your ammunition."

Had me rolling.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Akratic Method posted:

Or, if you just want to block Youtube comments specifically, while simultaneously reminding yourself why you wanted to do that: http://www.tannr.com/herp-derp-youtube-comments/

Herp Derp is the poo poo.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
A bit off-topic, but for those who own Bioshock 2 on Steam, the game was patched today to include all single- and multi-player DLC, including Minerva's Den. Achievements were also activated and GFWL removed.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/11567/

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Edit: God drat it I thought this was the Minerva's Den LP, sorry.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 4, 2013

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, something else I just remembered and thought might be pertinent to Elizabeth and how well you "bond" with her over the game; "According to Shawn Robertson, an Animation Director for Irrational Games, Elizabeth's designs were derived from some of the female leads from Disney animated feature films." (taken from the Bioshock wiki, quoted to avoid spoilers)
The intent behind this, I think, was to emulate the wide-eyed innocence of the Disney characters, which when combined with her personality made an appealing character that gamers actually wanted to rescue, as opposed to creating a character that felt like a drag to cart around. You can definitely see the Disney influence in her eyes, which are wider and bluer than those of NPCs and in how her features seem to be softer.

It's just interesting to me to think about how designers can tap into something like that to make a character you will genuinely care about.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Many people have noted that she looks rather like Belle from Beauty and the Beast, which makes an amusing contrast to all the violence that takes place around you.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Steam has Bioshock: Infinite on sale for $27 over the weekend.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
There's also her similarity to Belle in how over the moon she is about both France(mainly Paris) and how into books she is.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The game would be more interesting with a Gastone musical number.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Steam has Bioshock: Infinite on sale for $27 over the weekend.

I would wait before buying this. They'll feature different 2K games every day at a greater discount than the general catalog. Should be able to get Bioshock Infinite for $15 or so on the day it's featured.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

The game would be more interesting with a Gastone musical number.

No-one rules like Comstock, no-one schools like Comstock, no-ones beard's as incredibly cool as Comstock's!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Roro posted:

No-one rules like Comstock, no-one schools like Comstock, no-ones beard's as incredibly cool as Comstock's!

I would love to see a three panel comic of this!

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
I would almost pay money to hear that recorded by a singer.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
You'd have to get a decent Randy Savage soundalike for the Comstock/Gaston parts. Or am I the only one who hears the similarity in some of the voxophones?

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
"I'm especially good at EVANGELIZING!" "Boy what a guy that Comstock!"

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

"I'm especially good at EVANGELIZING!" "Boy what a guy that Comstock!"

Oh my god stop it, the whole movie is replaying in my mind with Comstock as Gaston.

He could do pretty well as Beast, too. All that hair has to be good for something.

I wonder if anyone else gets a very Joseph Smith Jr. vibe from Comstock or if that's the point and I'm stupid for bringing up Mormonism.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

bobthethurd posted:

Oh my god stop it, the whole movie is replaying in my mind with Comstock as Gaston.

He could do pretty well as Beast, too. All that hair has to be good for something.

I wonder if anyone else gets a very Joseph Smith Jr. vibe from Comstock or if that's the point and I'm stupid for bringing up Mormonism.

I've been talking up the Mormon vibe from Comstock since the first video. Stupid or not, you're in good company.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GenHavoc posted:

I've been talking up the Mormon vibe from Comstock since the first video. Stupid or not, you're in good company.

I always thought it was supposed to be pretty much the closest thing to "yeah we based this fanatical cult of personality and racism pretty much directly on Mormonism" that they could pull off without literally saying that in an accompanying booklet.

I mean, didn't Comstock literally quote Joseph Smith in one of his Voxophone speeches?

edit - oh poo poo, I just had a "why did they name them Voxophones when they hate the Vox Populi" moment until my brief stint in Latin study sprung up and made me feel really, really stupid :smith:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don't feel bad, voxophone is a hideous amalgamation of Greek and Latin anyway. It's a voice-sound! :shepface:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't feel bad, voxophone is a hideous amalgamation of Greek and Latin anyway. It's a voice-sound! :shepface:

It's like the "polyamory is wrong" joke that I love more than I should

"IT SHOULD BE MULTIAMORY OR POLYPHILIA DAMNIT" delivered in a frothy rage

Also I'm not sure Comstock could eat even a meager 2 dozen eggs. He's no prophet of mine :colbert:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I don't think I'd follow someone to a sky-city if they weren't the size of a barge.

Edit: Actually, heck with it, if someone helps with editing the lyrics I can record a stab at Gastomstock and put it on tindeck or something.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 5, 2013

Merrill
Dec 30, 2008

Challenged by gravity
Fun Shoe
Infinite is 66% off today on Steam, so it's $13.59. Picked it up because of this LP. You're doing an awesome job with it, Sundowner!

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

If any of ya'll were on the fence about buying this here game, it's on sale on Steam at $13.59 for the day.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

I always thought it was supposed to be pretty much the closest thing to "yeah we based this fanatical cult of personality and racism pretty much directly on Mormonism" that they could pull off without literally saying that in an accompanying booklet.

I mean, didn't Comstock literally quote Joseph Smith in one of his Voxophone speeches?

edit - oh poo poo, I just had a "why did they name them Voxophones when they hate the Vox Populi" moment until my brief stint in Latin study sprung up and made me feel really, really stupid :smith:

As a Mormon myself, yeah, you aren't the only one getting that vibe.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
Does the resemblance come off as comical or insulting? Is it accurate at all?

Aside from what I assume is stereotypical lampooning being done by the game I really have only the slightest idea about Mormons, except that most people I've ever met think they're weird.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Heading further in to the Hall of Heroes to find out what and where this Shock Jockey is as well as finding out why Slate is so enraged with Comstock.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 20, 2013

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

The one thing that irks me about the level design of the museum set pieces is that there's no circular pattern to the exhibits. If you're visiting the exhibits, you need to walk back and worth through the wings, and that would disrupt the flow of traffic.

:allears: By Comstock God, I love that carbine.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bobthethurd posted:

Aside from what I assume is stereotypical lampooning being done by the game I really have only the slightest idea about Mormons, except that most people I've ever met think they're weird.

You'll notice much of the criticism of against the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints being used as the backdrop for Columbia, such as institutionalized racism, the deification of founders, religiously charged militarism, and mass exodus. Comstock's backstory so far parallels that of both Brigham Young and Joesph Smith. You can read more about the Mormon Church under DDS# 289.3 at your local library.

There are also references to racial segregation in the America. For example, Jim Crow law (including an actual murder of crows) and KKK imagery are seen in video #3. Going back to Mormonism, the song featured in this game, "God Only Knows", was the theme for HBO drama, Big Love. I don't know whether it's a coincidence or an in-joke.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008
I just read about Wounded Knee on Wikipedia. Was this covered in the thread yet? Because that little bit of history really adds a lot to the characters of Slate, Booker, and Comstock. I'll add a quick summary if it seems appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

bobthethurd posted:

Oh, it's not at all insulting; it's actually kind of clever. As for the accuracy of the resemblance, I'd say it's vaguely accurate. Gets the basic concept right (man has spiritual experience, involves angels, a new, Americana-style mythology/doctrine, becomes charismatic prophet, records basically anything he says, etc), but doesn't have quite the "layers" of doctrine that Mormonism has. It seems to just take outsider ideas about Mormonism (minus missionaries and polygamy of course) and crank them up to 11. Then again, it's just a video game, so that's excusable. Of course, I'm somewhat thick-skinned when it comes to my faith; I have to be to survive on the Internet.

And like I said earlier in the thread, Comstock vaguely resembles LDS prophet Lorenzo Snow.

Sunning posted:

You'll notice much of the criticism of against the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints being used as the backdrop for Columbia, such as institutionalized racism, the deification of founders, religiously charged militarism, and mass exodus. Comstock's backstory so far parallels that of both Brigham Young and Joesph Smith. You can read more about the Mormon Church under DDS# 289.3 at your local library.

There are also references to racial segregation in the America. For example, Jim Crow law (including an actual murder of crows) and KKK imagery are seen in video #3. Going back to Mormonism, the song featured in this game, "God Only Knows", was the theme for HBO drama, Big Love. I don't know whether it's a coincidence or an in-joke.

Also this. Comstock seems like a cross between Brigham Young and Joseph Smith, now that I think about it. With an emphasis on Brigham's vicious hatred for black people. Joseph Smith actually ordained a few black guys as full priests.

Gygaxian fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 5, 2013

• Locked thread