Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

hambeet posted:

that it's pretty :cool:

I may or may not be sleeping with the enemy - I masoned with Hal and Obama N1. I don't get the feeling he is scum though, I was reserving that for Tobbs mostly. I don't think I've revealed anything super important in the mason group because I don't know for certain but I do feel good about Hal. I've tried to share some things I've learned that are beneficial to town but I also didn't want my plans thwarted. Speaking of which:

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

It's possible there's a way around the spice blend I used on her. I think she's already revealed the blend so may as well say what it does.

Every night I choose, all negative/hostile actions against me target her instead. So if I were the NK target, Maerlyn would die.

So I may have beaten myself up? Lol...I targeted you with a sage/curing salt blend. I was trying to roleblock you from doing whatever it was you were going to do to me, the curing salt is a spice steal and I thought for good measure why not steal one of your spices. Turns out I knocked myself out? My graverob also failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Shell you are braver than me...I haven't looked at meen's recipe yet but I've had bao and I'm not eager to make them myself.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I did pork buns a couple months back and they aren't as difficult as they seem. They're also delicious

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Maerlyn posted:

I may or may not be sleeping with the enemy - I masoned with Hal and Obama N1. I don't get the feeling he is scum though, I was reserving that for Tobbs mostly. I don't think I've revealed anything super important in the mason group because I don't know for certain but I do feel good about Hal. I've tried to share some things I've learned that are beneficial to town but I also didn't want my plans thwarted. Speaking of which:

So I may have beaten myself up? Lol...I targeted you with a sage/curing salt blend. I was trying to roleblock you from doing whatever it was you were going to do to me, the curing salt is a spice steal and I thought for good measure why not steal one of your spices. Turns out I knocked myself out? My graverob also failed.

That would make sense, yeah. You roleblocked yourself so your other thing failed too.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I won't have a lot of time for cooking in the next few days, going out of town for my birthday but hopefully I'll still be alive to do stuff next week.

I could cook at my mom's house but we just go to restaurants endlessly, it's rather nice.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

hambeet posted:

i do agree with this, but opop claiming it makes me feel somewhat better.

i guess i'll have to park any potential suspicion that opop not being aware of meen's impending doom as entirely plausible, especially considering they made exactly >one< non-food related post all day 2.

The "I guess merk must be town then" call is suspicious though.

I will ask merk what his night actions were, expecting him to not actually say.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote Obama

Not scum hunting.

Came in today to try to get in front of the issue of me saying he's scum by instead saying I'm scum. His justification for voting me takes into account absolutely nothing about the context of my Shell case. For example, Akay was likely going to be the elimination when I cased Shell. Akay flipped town. If I'm scum, what the hell was I doing?

I'm not unvoting Obama.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm not saying anything about my night actions.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Says the guy casing bif after a scum cop result lmao

If you think this is a town player, you need to reevaluate your entire SA Mafia scum hunting game because it's terrible.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Maer: grand clarified, I should have seen my spice blend that I used on OA as well.

I'm probably fine voting Obama. It's why I targeted him last night. I'll be honest and just apologize though, I've been dead sick since last thursday and have not really been paying attention to the game. Even hal had to point out to me in masonry that meen claimed the doomed thing when I was like "wait, if you saw opop target meen why wouldn't that have been opop killing meen?"

I'm going to sleep today as much as I can, and tomorrow I will look at things for real while I pretend to work (I've billed like 10 hours this week in total so just going to write the whole week off).

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

It's possible there's a way around the spice blend I used on her. I think she's already revealed the blend so may as well say what it does.

Every night I choose, all negative/hostile actions against me target her instead. So if I were the NK target, Maerlyn would die.

Oh. Well no in that case I’d rather vote maer than rely on that triggering or not.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

So I finally got around to making Cornish pasties. First time doing them and I’m not great with pastry. All the recipes I looked at included making the dough yourself but I don’t have 3 hours to wait for dough to chill so I just bought pre-rolled stuff.

Recipe is fairly simple. Dice everything up into small cubes and mix it all together.

Make sure you season with plenty of salt and pepper. Mine needed more salt even after I added two large pinches.

Cut the dough into a circle using a side plate as a template. Fill with pasty mix.

Fold over and press down edges. I used a bit of egg wash to help seal it all.

Probably the hardest bit. Crimp the edges over to stop the juices escaping as it cooks. Also looks pretty if done right. Brush some egg wash over the whole pasty.

Cook for 15 minutes 180c and then down to 140c for a further 45 minutes and it should be nicely browned and cooked though.

I was a bit too scared of the pastry tearing so probably could get more filling in there. Also my crimping is much to be desired. Had a fair amount of leakage.

Overall tasted pretty good, could have definitely used more salt though. I made 6 more of these which I’ve placed uncooked in the freezer. I’m praying they will be cookable from frozen.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
:ghost:

Cornish pastries! I was wondering if you'd get around to making them, happy to see you finally decided, lol.

Those do look awesome and I bet they are tasty as hell. The leaky stuff could probably be scraped - that always happens, unless you're using a very dry filling, which meat and vegetables definitely aren't. I notice you didn't poke the dough a bit with a fork? I always do that so hot air can escape while cooking, seems to help with leaking - less pressure inside, less risk of seams opening. But then again I've never done those, either.

Also, they should be good with freezing I think. Not familiar with the dough, but otherwise everything seems OK. Good job!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

The important question here is are Bao hand pies?
I lean pretty heavily yes. But who is to tell? The soft, bouncy, chewy, Q texture isn't normally indicative of hand pies, but they are a bready exterior with a sweet or savory filling.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

The leaky stuff actually gave the dough a nice flavour haha. Yeah I was meant to poke a hole in the top but completely forgot.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Quick! Give us a flash deal that involves pasta or shrimp!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ok, I don't think this qualifies as anything, but my daughter really likes this dish. It is merk's lemon garlic parmesan SUPER DUPER HEALTHY pasta. I may have used this in a previous Cookfia, but who knows!

Ingredients:
12oz linguine or fettucine. With how much cheese and butter go into this thing, you want a solid pasta here. I one time used bow ties and it wasn't great - the cheese did not stick to the bow ties very well.
1.25lbs shrimp deveined, no tails, you know how to do it
a whole stick of butter
5 garlic cloves, super minced (more below)
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
italian seasoning
small block of parmesan cheese, freshly shredded
1 lemon

Instructions generally:
1. Cook the pasta al dente
2. While the pasta is cooking: wash your shrimp, chop up your garlic SUPER FINE. The garlic is going straight into the dish, so it needs to be chopped very fine. My wife complained about a large garlic piece just two weeks ago! Don't let this be you!
3. Once the pasta is cooked, take it out and set aside.
4. In the same bowl, heat oil and half of the stick of butter.
5. Once the butter melts, throw in all of the garlic and the red pepper flakes.
6. After one minute (or less, don't burn the garlic you fool), throw in your shrimp and a ton of italian seasoning. Start madly stirring.
7. Once the shrimp turns pink, throw in your parmesan cheese, remaining butter, and the pasta. Again, stir madly.
8. FOR THE KID: take out a couple pieces of shrimp and chop it up finely. Do this before you do the lemon squeeze because the less lemon the better for the kid.
9. Squeeze a lemon over the dish.
10. Shut your garbage can.
11. Serve.

https://i.imgur.com/oDhXx0j.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/6QIY7JG.mp4

For the adults:
1. Put the food into a bowl.
2. Add the secret ingredient.
3. Pair with chardonnay.

merk fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 18, 2022

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Edited above because I forgot italian seasoning.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i think editting recipe posts is totally fine

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I made Bao for dinner! Thanks Iggy for giving me something new to try my hand at.

I went with a Chinese style bbq chicken. I've never made a Chinese style bbq before, hell, I've never made a bbq that wasn't tomato based. So this was interesting. I also decided to make this fully a pantry raid, so it was what I had on hand. Wish I hadn't used the last of my Chinese 5-Spice last month, or at least wish I had actively replaced it, but whatever, I made it work.

The big flavors in the sauce were garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame seeds, rice vinegar, cloves and miso. There are some bonito flakes in there too to bump up the umami.
First I cooked off the cloves and sesame seeds in some oil, getting them toasted, then adding the garlic as well.

Then pretty much everything else except the miso goes in. Let it cook down a bit, then add the miso and let it reduce some more. You are looking for a coat the back of a spoon consistency. Add salt/red pepper to taste here.

Throw a bunch of chicken parts in a crock pot. I usually go with thighs which are objectively the best chicken part, but there was a deal on legs this week, so I got them instead. Leg/thigh quarters are good too when you can get them. Then cover with your bbq.

You are going to let this go on low for like 6-8 hours. When I wasn't work from home, I would just throw it in the crock pot when I left for work, and when I got home it was pull apart goodness. It's harder now that I work from home and smell it cooking all goddamn day long.

While that goes you have plenty of time to play with the dough. I used this recipe And got this.

Then let it rise for 2 hours, it got real big, but I didn't get pics of that bit.

But back to the chicken. It's been 6 hours give or take.

Remove chicken from bone, save the bones, make stock with them later.

Rough chop the chicken, take the sauce from the bottom of the crock pot and reduce the poo poo out of it. Add some wine too if you want, you'll just have to reduce it more.

Toss your chicken in your sauce. Filling sorted.

Back to the buns. Cut some parchment squares.

Roll out the dough into a log.

Divide into 8 pieces, keep the pieces under a damp towel so to not let them dry out as you roll it out and fill it, then move onto the next one.

Know your steaming setup sucks, so improvise. Fill a large pot with a few inches of water, throw some ramekins down there for some height.

Rest a way too short steamer basket precariously perched on top.

Put the like 4 bao evenly on the steamer without having it fall off the ramekins which are moving because the water is rapidly boiling. It is easier if you put 2 in at a time, 1 in each hand, so you don't unbalance the contraption. I learned this with the second batch, the first got a little wet.

Use some bamboo skewers to lift the lid up a bit so it lets steam out and doesn't touch the tops of the bao.

Cook for 12-14 minutes.

Eat!
They were good, the filling was nice, I have way too much bbq chicken now that I will have to use in other places. The best compliment was that my wife asked to take a left over bao for lunch tomorrow.
The Chinese style BBQ sauce is something I would do again, the bao I'm not so sure about, not because they weren't delicious, but because it was a decent time investment. But it was easy enough that we'll see.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

hambeet posted:

i think editting recipe posts is totally fine

Accurate, cooking posts can be edited freely. Mafia posts cannot.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Nice use of parsley by merk.

Totally gonna make some Bao tomorrow night!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I gotta get me one of these bibs

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tricky one tonight

1- go get some pizza from the grocery store last week when they're on sale and toss them in the freezer

2-bake one

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Opopanax posted:

Tricky one tonight

1- go get some pizza from the grocery store last week when they're on sale and toss them in the freezer

2-bake one

what in the world are the toppings on that? are those carrots?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

what in the world are the toppings on that? are those carrots?

Don't be silly, that's Canadian onion

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's a taco pizza so red pepper or maybe tomato. It was pretty good

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sandwolf posted:

I gotta get me one of these bibs

i didn't know you had a kid...

oh.......

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Opopanax posted:

Tricky one tonight

2-bake one

lol i was going to do a toast one like this eventually but now the opoptunity is gone.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

oa you don't feel the need to comment on voodoo spice copping you?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

hambeet posted:

oa you don't feel the need to comment on voodoo spice copping you?

I think he gave up tbh

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Still cooking to get the last scum all the points for the mega spice combo Hail Mary though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok finished the cookie. I followed the recipe (it's missing vanilla?) but made a panookie and put some slabs of bakers chocolate in the middle. Best topped with vanilla ice cream but I was bamboozled, it wasn't actually vanilla it was the raspberry ice cream my wife made in a vanilla container (still a good fit)

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I would be fine with OA. I meant to say this earlier:

ObamaAkbar. posted:

The leaky stuff actually gave the dough a nice flavour haha. Yeah I was meant to poke a hole in the top but completely forgot.

Yeah but can you poke a hole in merk's case against you?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

:siren:Flash Deal- make something herbacious for 20 points:siren:

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 3

ObamaAkbar. (2): Tobbs Gnawed, merk
Maerlyn (1): hambeet
merk (1): ObamaAkbar.

Not Voting (6): Chic Trombone, GenericGirlName, Hal Insandenza, Maerlyn, Opopanax, Voodoofly

With 10 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is February 19th, 2022 at 10 p.m. EST -- that's in about 2 days.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sandicap posted:

:420:

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Sandicap posted:

I'll post a pic of my gummies in a minute.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I see ham beet me to that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I have zero clue if this counts for any of the recipes that earn points right now. if not maybe it will later on but gently caress it here is my dinner tonight:

1. Squeeze the ever loving poo poo out of a block of firm tofu. Like seriously all six sides lots of paper towels get it all out of there.
2. Cube it and sautee it (in batches to stop from crowding if need be). I just used salt and pepper, but go nuts.
3. Toss it in a pot, and add your homemade curry sauce store bought curry sauce because hah! its a weeknight we aren't making a curry from scratch for this. Heat it up.
4. NOT PICTURED: make some rice. I'm assuming you don't need instructions on this.
5. Prep some asparagus. Break off the woody ends. Toss them with oil, salt and pepper. Grate some parmesan cheese over the top.
6. Throw them in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 425 or so.
7. Plate everything on a dinosaur plate that Opop gave you for secret santa.
8. Eat.

Give me points Grand! Or don't, whatever.

Preview edit: sorry for the sideways pics I'm not changing them.