Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

MMF Freeway posted:

On one hand, lol who cares, but also how is a completely unmarketed, unfinished beta of a failed game supposed to gain any sort of playerbase in the first place? "we haven't managed to get the active player numbers to a level that justifies further development" well no poo poo fellas you didn't do anything to try and raise it. I get that they just wanted to be done wasting time working on it, and thats obviously the right call, but what was the point of even trying if they're not at least going to take it to the "re-launch" phase.

They probably need more than 5 people playing the beta to get any kind of testing done cause they themselves clearly didn't want to play it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm not super knowledgeable about how alyx did, but my rough understanding was it reviewed well but unsurprisingly didn't move very many copies. I don't know if it moved very much hardware either. I could easily see it too being argued as a case of 'why even bother'
It would have sold well if it were a regular fps game. The VR fad is pretty much dead at this point.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
no....NO....

i still enjoyed Artifact, made a few bucks selling cards (more then it cost, at least), and did like the core gameplay. It just had...a bad everything else.

Goodbye, cardgame.

Time to jump to the next sinking card-game sip and cry when that one dies. Probably Runeterra? Probably Runeterra.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

On one hand, lol who cares, but also how is a completely unmarketed, unfinished beta of a failed game supposed to gain any sort of playerbase in the first place? "we haven't managed to get the active player numbers to a level that justifies further development" well no poo poo fellas you didn't do anything to try and raise it. I get that they just wanted to be done wasting time working on it, and thats obviously the right call, but what was the point of even trying if they're not at least going to take it to the "re-launch" phase.

Lukewarm beta feedback and no real way to fix the inherent problems without a far more drastic redesign, which valve simply couldn't be bothered with.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MMF Freeway posted:

valve give me $20 steam credit you cowards

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Underlords seems like a failure as well, though nowhere near the level of Artifact. By the time it had any monetization at all, or even the titular Underlords are supposed to make it unique from other autochess clones, most people had already bounced off of it.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Underlords seems like a failure as well, though nowhere near the level of Artifact. By the time it had any monetization at all, or even the titular Underlords are supposed to make it unique from other autochess clones, most people had already bounced off of it.

Are any of the auto chess games still popular? It always seemed like a bubble of an inexplicable fad

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Thirsty Dog posted:

Are any of the auto chess games still popular? It always seemed like a bubble of an inexplicable fad
TFT and Battlegrounds are 20 to 100 times as popular as Underlords. Nobody did nearly as bad a job as valve on this one.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I really wonder if valve don't have internal conversations about whether to just stop developing games in general. I have no doubt at all it's peanuts business compared to steam rent collection but takes outsized energy and investment in comparison. :effort:

every game company constantly kills off titles in development. you just don't hear about most of them because you don't want to discuss a game until it's well on its way to completion, else you get poo poo like artifact 2 or warcraft 3 reforged

artifact 2 never should have gone live lol

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Thirsty Dog posted:

Gorgc (Dota streamer) got paid to stream Drodo Autochess a few weeks ago and that made me want to play it, so I did. On top of that, PPD streamed the dota mod game last week as well. Drodo's version seemed pretty populated, and they have ongoing tournaments happening all the time you can view in-client. It's totally dead on Twitch but seems to be more popular in Chinese streaming clients. All my games popped very quickly and had people from all around the world, and they all felt like real people in terms of strategies, as opposed to when I first tried it in Beta where it clearly had a lot of bots. The Dota mod is also constantly being updated but has like 2k players. League's autochess is still big though and has tournaments going on and a large playerbase. Underlords though, you can see the Steam player numbers and it's at like 3k average, which isn't nearly as bad as Artifact but still isn't great.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Autochess fad on twitch definitely died down. TFT seems like the most alive game and then the Drodo game. I don't know poo poo about the hearthstone one though.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Gorgc (Dota streamer) got paid to stream Drodo Autochess a few weeks ago and that made me want to play it, so I did. On top of that, PPD streamed the dota mod game last week as well. Drodo's version seemed pretty populated, and they have ongoing tournaments happening all the time you can view in-client. It's totally dead on Twitch but seems to be more popular in Chinese streaming clients. All my games popped very quickly and had people from all around the world, and they all felt like real people in terms of strategies, as opposed to when I first tried it in Beta where it clearly had a lot of bots. The Dota mod is also constantly being updated but has like 2k players. League's autochess is still big though and has tournaments going on and a large playerbase. Underlords though, you can see the Steam player numbers and it's at like 3k average, which isn't nearly as bad as Artifact but still isn't great.

Thank you.

It remains incomprehensible how popular a genre it is.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Has Valve had any big successes in the last couple of years game wise? Dota 2 dropping in numbers , Underlords has failed and now Artifact completey dropped. Only CS:GO seems to have any upward traction.

I know Alyx was reviewed really well, but I cant imagine it pushed many units because VR is so expensive and hard to setup for the average user.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I borrowed a VR specifically to play Alyx. That was six months ago and I haven't finished it yet. Actually playing a full size game in VR is a loving slog and not really worth the brief 'oh that's cool' moments.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Asuron posted:

I know Alyx was reviewed really well, but I cant imagine it pushed many units because VR is so expensive and hard to setup for the average user.

Alyx was received well by critics but a lot of people who are really into VR rightfully said "oh this is just a worse Boneworks." And in terms of having any sort of lasting cultural impact at Valve, even before Covid was a thing, a few of they key people they brought in to do VR work for them left immediately after the game was done so it's unlikely we'll see any more from them.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i got it for free and still overpaid lmao

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's finally dead. The galaxy is at peace.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Artifact 1.0 was better than 2.0 :colbert:

I tried 2.0 a few times and could never find matches. at some point they added a display to tell you when other players were searching for games. even when it said others were searching, I could never find a game. dead af.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's something really funny to me about valve getting owned by hearthstone the way blizzard did by dota 2.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I'm just gonna leave this here.

:rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0qZTS38cjw

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Valve probably should have just canceled the game immediately after this. If the universal reaction to your game being revealed is a disappointed sigh, there isn't a market for it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

1stGear posted:

Valve probably should have just canceled the game immediately after this. If the universal reaction to your game being revealed is a disappointed sigh, there isn't a market for it.

The gamer collective will buy whatever slop is served the question is how much effort is put into forcing that slop down their gullets. Well okay they might not eat slop completely made up of rusty nails and syringes but tasteless gruel? gently caress yeah.

edit: The problem isn't the tasteless gruel but the lack of effort in getting that gruel to be consumed. Free Dota skin with every twenty five bowls of gruel consumed!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 5, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Gamers will play ANYTHING except artifact

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Bring back Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

NmareBfly posted:

Maybe I'm a Valve fanboy but I think the market stuff could work out just fine for regular players. They'll lean hard on people that want hologram gold foil special-animation-and-sound-effect copies of some cards but if rarity works like they say then the card volume will be enormous and rares could be dirt cheap.

I maintain that we don't have enough information to really know but where does all the stuff about Valve taking the most predatory possible position at all times come from? When has that ever been the case in any of their games when it comes to non-cosmetic stuff? Yeah they get a taste of everything sold on the market but from a player perspective that functionally means I'll be able to buy any common card for 3 cents. Is the predatory part just that I'll only be able to sell commons back for 2 cents? Honestly, I doubt I'll sell them at all since there will be approx infinity of any given common on the market at any one time.

lol

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

a card called “crack the whip” working on black heroes....from the company that brought you morphling’s “final solution” line.

hahaha

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I have no idea what Valve spent like a year doing because they went radio silent and then announced they were doing a bunch of basic-rear end QOL changes that people were probably complaining about a week into Artifact 1.0. I half-expected them to come back with a whole new design not the same thing with tweaks, which they hadn't even really implemented yet.

breaks
May 12, 2001

They started out as a company that made great games to make money, they turned into a storefront that leeched off the rest of the industry to make money, surprise surprise they can't make great games anymore. They haven't needed to for a decade or so and so they don't.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

TOOT BOOT posted:

I have no idea what Valve spent like a year doing because they went radio silent and then announced they were doing a bunch of basic-rear end QOL changes that people were probably complaining about a week into Artifact 1.0. I half-expected them to come back with a whole new design not the same thing with tweaks, which they hadn't even really implemented yet.

It really does seem like Valve just decided the pandemic was the perfect excuse not to do poo poo last year. It took them the entire year to release an actual Big Patch with new stuff for Dota.

I mean I can relate I also don't do poo poo now that I'm wfh.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

wologar posted:

Bring back Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

This! The only card game I enjoyed for more than a month!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

1stGear posted:

It was just a slightly tonedeaf way to announce it. People who've paid to travel to a Dota 2 tournament probably don't care that much about spin off card games. It was the equivalent of announcing Diablo Immortal at Blizzcon instead of D4.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Asuron posted:

Has Valve had any big successes in the last couple of years game wise? Dota 2 dropping in numbers , Underlords has failed and now Artifact completey dropped. Only CS:GO seems to have any upward traction.

dota 2 is entering the 'bad anime adaptation' period that strikes all floundering franchises, rip

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I’m afraid to read the new posts

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think being convinced to buy this game was one of the worst mistakes I've made in the past ten years lol

Have you lived some kind of charmed life or something? I've paid more money for worse dinners.
(Unless you paid hundreds of dollars for rare Axes, in which case I'm really truly sorry)

All I think about when it comes to this game is that statement you kept hearing from Richard Garfield around release that the business model was fine because "just because you buy a better set of golf clubs, you're not going to get any better at golf". Such an unbelievable stretch of logic, and something you'd expect to hear from some die hard fan of the game - not from someone who actually knows how game design works. As if a card with a unique ability in a CCG is anywhere near the same thing as a golf club made of slightly nicer wood or whatever.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

The Grumbles posted:

Have you lived some kind of charmed life or something? I've paid more money for worse dinners.
(Unless you paid hundreds of dollars for rare Axes, in which case I'm really truly sorry)
Not everything is about money.

I can only imagined how hosed the Valve corporate structure is that Artifact failed as hard as it did and was allowed to fail in the way that it did. From an outsiders perspective it looks like once the game was pushed out it was abandoned almost immediately and put in the hands of a bored intern who didn't really care that much and had been stuck with it internally. To allow a game attached to one of your flagship IPs to fail in such a spectacularly lazy and embarrassing way just screams to me of insane dysfunction at Valve HQ. I can understand Valve going from a game developer to curators of Steam but in that world something like Artifact should never be allowed to exist in the first place.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
A good time to remind people about the greatest Reddit Artifact post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Artifact/comments/9i5r83/ten_reasons_why_artifact_will_be_the_biggest/

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

oh my god the subreddit is so delusional

everyone is just blaming valve not inviting more people for the lack of players lmfao

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
in for the long haul

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Flayer posted:

Not everything is about money.

What? That's obviously true, but the poster I was replying to was talking about spending money on Artifact being one of the worst mistakes they'd made in the past decade. They're not saying the development of the game was one of the worst mistakes of the past decade (which is also not true). If anything, it's especially true that 'having played a bad video game' is not exactly a terrible life misstep if you're also taking money out of the equation. It wasn't a very expensive video game and cost less than the kinds of tabletop games it was trying to emulate. People act as if a bad video game is one of the greatest ills to ever befall them.

edit:

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I imagine it was quite a bit more expensive to develop than you'd think. The graphics are on a totally different level even compared to Runeterra which is made by a big company with heavy investment, and Artifact had a ton of features Hearthstone never bothered to implement (their tournament feature was really cool). We'll never know the number for sure but it's hard for me think the cost was any lower than 30 million (and I suspect it was quite a bit higher).