Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

I find the XP penalty deeply unpleasant even when it doesn't have a meaningful effect on my progress. The deaths in this game already feel bad enough given the terrible visual clarity and lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Setec_Astronomy posted:

I find the XP penalty deeply unpleasant even when it doesn't have a meaningful effect on my progress. The deaths in this game already feel bad enough given the terrible visual clarity and lag.

Yeah I played Ice Crash and the game play was "see 40 monsters all charging / leaping towards me, click once, everything explodes/shatters and game stutters 0.167 seconds, move to next pack," and if everything exploded proper I was great and if they all landed their slams, I wasn't - the inability to see poo poo meant boss fights were a mess

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah that's my biggest problem I think, I don't mind eating a death when I feel like I made a mistake but probably 75% of the time it's just rubberbanding into a mob / getting blasted by something I literally can't see through the dozen effects going off at once, etc.

Losing like an hour's worth of experience to that is just a kick in the nuts. It doesn't seem like they're at all interested in removing it though so eh.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

'If people were more interested in the idea of removing the death penalty, they would take more care into not dying in the first place.'
-GGG support team, probably

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah that's my biggest problem I think, I don't mind eating a death when I feel like I made a mistake but probably 75% of the time it's just rubberbanding into a mob / getting blasted by something I literally can't see through the dozen effects going off at once, etc.

Losing like an hour's worth of experience to that is just a kick in the nuts. It doesn't seem like they're at all interested in removing it though so eh.

Especially when it seems like console performance is absolute garbage right now and no changes seem to be coming on the horizon (I bet GGG is just praying that the next hardware generation makes up for it)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

dyzzy posted:

Especially when it seems like console performance is absolute garbage right now and no changes seem to be coming on the horizon (I bet GGG is just praying that the next hardware generation makes up for it)

Yeah I still love the game but honestly I am amazed Sony let them put this thing up without ever addressing the issues, it's probably the laggiest / most crash-prone game I've ever played.

I don't even understand why - is the engine just really janky or something? There's no way it should be pushing the hardware to its breaking point or anything, there's a million games that have got to be much more intensive.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This is the reason https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXvZXg4HBPI&t=14s

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ah yep that would do it lol. Is there a single person in the entire world that would care if they just...didn't make all that junk drop?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It is a complicated issue. The items in the game have alot of modifiers and those modifiers can also roll multiple tiers of effectiveness. They have said that they don't want to reduce modifiers because maybe some player use them. So their fix is just making even more and more stuff dropping.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah I still love the game but honestly I am amazed Sony let them put this thing up without ever addressing the issues, it's probably the laggiest / most crash-prone game I've ever played.

I don't even understand why - is the engine just really janky or something? There's no way it should be pushing the hardware to its breaking point or anything, there's a million games that have got to be much more intensive.

When in doubt, the answer is

and has always been

one, and the same

Draw Calls

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Talking of filters, I'm trying to use one but it doesn't make much sense. Tier 4 = cream, 3 = yellow, 2 = orange, 1 = white. What kind of progression is that??

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Lightning Knight posted:

Is the game really, meaningfully challenging anymore? Persistently increasing the speed of combat has made that combat increasingly less meaningful. Almost no individual enemies we fight matter anymore and the most dangerous things in the game are bosses with one-shot attacks and weird on-death gotcha attacks.

I would like the XP penalty gone, although I don’t feel very strongly about it. But I think POE generally has an issue where it’s an entirely different game now than it was intended to be, and how persistently increasing the speed of combat in games like this makes combat meaningless and homogenized.

The goalposts have definitely moved. The sheer volume of mobs and visual clutter along with ever-faster gameplay means that you have to assume that you're occasionally going to eat some hits you don't see coming, whether it's a lapse in focus or a performance hiccup or just getting overwhelmed. I agree that some of those implications aren't great or necessarily in keeping with the game's original style. The impossibility of parsing wtf is happening in a blight x delirium x abyss type situation especially. But, they are known issues and you can build with them in mind. That's a challenge. Find a build that can run content quickly but survive the bumps along the way.

Whether or not it's a particularly good challenge in its current state is always gonna be debatable. I'd say yes, kinda. There are a huge number of defensive mechanics available in the game and being challenged to weave those in effectively alongside enough offense for smooth clearing is great and, to me, a core experience of the game. Getting killed by performance stutters or poo poo you can't even see coming, no, that always sucks and it'd be nice to see it fixed.

search engine fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 9, 2020

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Ak Gara posted:

Talking of filters, I'm trying to use one but it doesn't make much sense. Tier 4 = cream, 3 = yellow, 2 = orange, 1 = white. What kind of progression is that??

Um....what? Are you talking about item rarity? Because that goes white < blue < yellow < orange.

Unless the filter you're using overwrote those colors, then yes, wtf is that person doing?

If you haven't, definitely look at Filterblade, it's great for actually seeing what your filter will do.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The vulkan renderer shows a lot of promise, but right now it covers my screen in huge black boxes

whypick1 posted:

Um....what? Are you talking about item rarity? Because that goes white < blue < yellow < orange.

Unless the filter you're using overwrote those colors, then yes, wtf is that person doing?

I think they're talking about the loot filter's colors, not item rarity colors

I use the pretty pink and purple one, and generally they all work the same way: bigger and brighter = better

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ah yep that would do it lol. Is there a single person in the entire world that would care if they just...didn't make all that junk drop?

Good stuff needs bad stuff to drop

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

whypick1 posted:

If you haven't, definitely look at Filterblade, it's great for actually seeing what your filter will do.

I think they are talking about the neversink colors. Exalts and mirrors are white background with orange text while lovely rares are yellow or orange based on their ilvl.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

And it's built around end game where you don't care about rarity at all and are mostly interested in the raw base and crafting the item up. Which is a really confusing concept when getting into the game, so of course the filter doesn't make sense you are valuing completely different things.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Neversink started it and I'm not willing to reprogram my lizard brain to change the colors for that. The lesser tier stuff yeah sure, but the highest tier stuff gets a white background and the exalt sound. Which I also cannot ever change.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Vasudus posted:

Neversink started it and I'm not willing to reprogram my lizard brain to change the colors for that. The lesser tier stuff yeah sure, but the highest tier stuff gets a white background and the exalt sound. Which I also cannot ever change.

nothing will make me whip my mouse around frantically like the exalt sound, it's pure refined dopamine.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

boo_radley posted:

nothing will make me whip my mouse around frantically like the exalt sound, it's pure refined dopamine.

i changed my exalt sound to the sound 10 which is the one that sounds like a real regal cymbal clang which i thought was a much better and audible sound imo

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Reading the color list and seeing that the highest rarity is white doesn't communicate the full effect of getting one of those drops. It's the font size, the mini-map icon, the glowing pillar of light, the sound effects... is it hot in here?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's a pity that GGG turned off exalt drops for me this league, it's really cool to get those.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I got two characters to 90+ with no exalts and then three in the space of 30 minutes last night

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think I siphoned off everyone's exalts this league because I got about 1-3 exalts dropped every day I played.

Oh and the gambler cards gave me 5 exalts.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I just had one drop for me a few minutes ago. And it's completely wasted on my character since I'm SSF and this close to hitting level 90 and quitting the league.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Futaba Anzu posted:

i changed my exalt sound to the sound 10 which is the one that sounds like a real regal cymbal clang which i thought was a much better and audible sound imo

The default ex sound makes my sub go pretty crazy. I can FEEL when good stuff drop, it just adds to it.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think I siphoned off everyone's exalts this league because I got about 1-3 exalts dropped every day I played.

Oh and the gambler cards gave me 5 exalts.

:argh:

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Got 40/40 today for the second league in a row. gently caress that scarab challenge. Wasted roughly 20 ex in scarabs. I might map a bit more but probably done with the league soon.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Yeah apart from tooling around a bit on my remaining living characters I'm definitely done. If there's anyone out there still playing hc I can dump a decent amount of random gear/currency and about a thousand maps on you.

League Content: 6/10 - the finnicky complexity of the farming wasn't great, nor was regularly disrupting game flow to go manage it. League bosses and items, entirely forgettable. Crafting itself was pretty cool

Balance/Skill Stuff: 8/10 - some fun and interesting additions and reworks without any of it feeling particularly overpowered except maybe glancing blows. That one should have remained gated behind a timeless jewel. The two hander + slam changes finally made big/slow weapons feel viable. Staves especially are really appealing now.

League Overall: 7/10 - drastically increased availability of high end gear and the balance changes opened up a lot of new builds. between that and the ongoing plague apocalypse, I re-ran the "ok just one more build because x+y+z looks like it could be really cool" process about 3 times more than I expected to. I would like to see some of the harvest crafting options go core, but streamlined and reduced in volume. Make them currency drops, and find a balance in between the current core experience of good influenced gear being basically unobtainable mirror tier, and the league experience of saving up a few ex and ending up with a 140 life astral sporting 4 huge influence mods.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Harvest was a bad league mechanic (it's clunky, it stops the core loop of the game, trading-wise you have to REALLY go out of your way to make currency with it...) but the crafting concepts were really good. Even if you don't wanna let people make perfect gear easily, I think having a cheap/farmable option for rolling guaranteed T3-T4 affixes so you can retool your own gear is very good and it lets players engage with crafting at their own speed without a multiple ex price tag.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

It's a pity that GGG turned off exalt drops for me this league, it's really cool to get those.

Same, I got bored half way through maps because I never got any exalts. Last two leagues I got an exalt from the league mechanic right around early maps and I was able to trade and finish my build. Without that I just lost interest :shrug:

Hopefully the next league has some kind of Metamorph tier currency explosion every map. I do like the new crafting system and I hope it stays, but its boring every map. I want exalts! :argh:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Weapons which drop in a t16 map shouldn’t be allowed to drop with 2-5 flat phys rolls

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

please knock Mom! posted:

Weapons which drop in a t16 map shouldn’t be allowed to drop with 2-5 flat phys rolls

Yeah this is the solution to the loot problem. Get rid of junk rolls, only drop good items and only drop a few of them.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think the harvest craft “roll 10 times and take the best result” was a test for their fix. Roll [map tier] times, take the best result

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Anyone tried playing a poison (cobra lash in my case) build lately? Running a cobra lash-crit-dagger-assassin in HC SSF and the damage feels really bad. Not sure if it's just not SSF viable or if I've messed up badly somewhere (PoB if someone's interested: https://pastebin.com/WAaD7KRn).

Just got to maps and my gear is fairly bad - running two Taproots at the moments, going for a rare dagger with +phys, %phys & +chaos next would probably be a good idea? I have almost zero clue about delve crafting etc, so any tips would be welcome!

EDIT: Also protips on staying alive wouldn't hurt either, haven't run evasion characters much and good grief this feels flimsy. Phys damage to elemental-conversions from something would probably help?

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 10, 2020

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Have you looked at what others are doing in HC SSF? Granted, there's only 6 people, but that's still 6 builds you can crib off of. One thing that jumps out at me is your Cobra Lash link setup vs. theirs.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

whypick1 posted:

Have you looked at what others are doing in HC SSF? Granted, there's only 6 people, but that's still 6 builds you can crib off of. One thing that jumps out at me is your Cobra Lash link setup vs. theirs.

I did actually check some guides, but turns out vicious projectiles & vile toxins (that I get from the gloves I need to phase out anyway) is really bad compared to unbound / deadly ailments! Cheers, that should be one major-ish boost!

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

I rarely run evasion/dodge based builds but I've heard a lot of people say wind dancer is a pretty big deal. It looks like it would be, for boss fights especially since your terrifyingly low life pool is gonna be vulnerable to big hits.

edit: power charges are not currently doing you a huge amount of good. I would also respec from unstable infusion to mistwalker, at least up until you have all 8 points and can get all the way to deadly infusion. the offensive boosts from mistwalker are stronger than 4 power charges at the moment along with the really nice defensive bonuses.

really though, i'd permanently go with mistwalker + opportunistic over the infusion nodes. minor offensive losses offset by a huge amount of defense

search engine fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 10, 2020

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Mistwalker is pretty much the best two points you can spend in any ascendancy. It's the first thing I get on every Assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

search engine posted:

I rarely run evasion/dodge based builds but I've heard a lot of people say wind dancer is a pretty big deal. It looks like it would be, for boss fights especially since your terrifyingly low life pool is gonna be vulnerable to big hits.

edit: power charges are not currently doing you a huge amount of good. I would also respec from unstable infusion to mistwalker, at least up until you have all 8 points and can get all the way to deadly infusion. the offensive boosts from mistwalker are stronger than 4 power charges at the moment along with the really nice defensive bonuses.

really though, i'd permanently go with mistwalker + opportunistic over the infusion nodes. minor offensive losses offset by a huge amount of defense

You're probably right; I figured I'd get more out of Power Charges but I'm so skill point starved I never got to the +power charge clusters. Figure I'll switch to Mistwalker!