Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lanth posted:

Oh don't worry, the bounty marker didn't let me see you were a crewmember anyway. They really need to fix that.

And coyo7e, sorry, I don't have a mic atm, and I can barely understand voicechat anyway so I mostly ignore or turn it off.
Sorry man that run of Mixed With Coke was really frustrating, I just got up and was still half asleep, and I am sure I'd done it before with at least one of you, but I drove one of you to North spawn, and he refused to get out of the car and then loving followed me to the starting point, before both of you managed to die without managing to get to the Overpass side truck. I had a miserable time doing the entire mission myself in my personal taco-tired Patriot that the other guy took and left behind with no front end.

Then my crew emblem vanished afterward, so I had to spend the loot on another emblem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Macrame_God posted:

Can someone explain how car bombs work. Does your car still have the bomb equipped when you get it back from the insurance company? I'm just asking because it sounds like a great way to troll. Get a popular car to pawn off for cash (say a Lampadati Felon GT), paint it an eye catching color, fit it with an ignition bomb, leave it inconspicuously parked in a high traffic area like outside a mod shop, then wait for a sucker to try and take it. Instant gratification.

Every time your car is destroyed or you enter a new game you have to buy a new car bomb, I think it might disappear if you get into a different personal vehicle from your garage though, so stick to random cars you've jacked when you've placed your bombed car somewhere. Also you can get in and out of it as much as you like yourself without it blowing up, it'll only detonate when someone else gets in (or you call in the remote bomb).

E:
I don't suppose anyone knows of a website or spreadsheet that shows all the different cars and which modifications they can have equipped? Thinking of buying a car but I'd like to know which mods can be added beforehand.

RoboJoe fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 14, 2013

TerryCheesecake
Aug 2, 2003
-
If you buy a plane, chopper or tank where does it get stored and how do you access them? Also what happens if they get destroyed, are they insured? It's a lot of money to spend without some answers.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You can just hit R2/RT at the right time to get the boost. You don't need to hold the brake button at all.

Ah, ok thanks. I actually tried that once but I must have hit it too early or something. The time you get after GO to hit the gas seems to be pretty generous.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

TerryCheesecake posted:

If you buy a plane, chopper or tank where does it get stored and how do you access them? Also what happens if they get destroyed, are they insured? It's a lot of money to spend without some answers.

Those things are called in via the Pegasus option on your phone for $1000 each delivery. Planes and boats get placed at the nearest landing strip or docks, and tanks get get placed nearby to you. Whenever they get destroyed or you want a new one you can just call and get them delivered again.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

falconry posted:

Ah, ok thanks. I actually tried that once but I must have hit it too early or something. The time you get after GO to hit the gas seems to be pretty generous.

My experience is you wait till Go has been on screen for like a second, then hit it, if you hit it to time it as it pops up I never get it.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

falconry posted:

So I've been racing non-stop for 3 nights now. Finally have a comfortable sum of money (still no property, but at least my car looks good) and I've levelled to 39 on racing exp alone. My win/loss ratio is like 1:4 and it really starts to feel like it's a test of skill around level 20-30 I'd say. As opposed to "bumper cars" in earlier levels. Holding a straight line when people try to PIT you actually becomes a skill, along with avoiding the initial clusterfuck in the first 2 or 3 turns. I don't go out of my way to try and bump people off the road unless they do the same to me first, and I don't feel like I'm suffering for it. It actually seems like the more aggressive racers end up in last place more often than not. A couple tips I think I should share:

I was about to make a post with basically the same advice. I also got a 1:4 win/loss ratio so far, just by attempting to race cleanly and avoiding agressive and risky driving, and especially staying behind the clusterfuck in the initial turn.

One advice I will add: Try to use first person view. It might take some getting used to at first, but you get a much better sense of speed and handling, making it easier to get a more precise feel of your braking and turning.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Macrame_God posted:

This. You gotta be brutal to survive GTA Online. After coming in 2nd in a friendly game of golf my competitors and I spawned at the entrance to the club. After noticing one of my competitors had a bounty, I immediately hit him with a sticky bomb and got $3000. Unfortunately I got a Bad Sport notice because I accidentally killed the other competitor and destroyed his car in the process. The owner of the car then challenged me to an impromptu deathmatch where I won 5-to-1 by nailing him with more sticky bombs. I'm sure the money I got from the bounty was completely offset by all the sticky bombs I used, but you can't put a price on being OG. :c00l:

Can someone explain how car bombs work. Does your car still have the bomb equipped when you get it back from the insurance company? I'm just asking because it sounds like a great way to troll. Get a popular car to pawn off for cash (say a Lampadati Felon GT), paint it an eye catching color, fit it with an ignition bomb, leave it inconspicuously parked in a high traffic area like outside a mod shop, then wait for a sucker to try and take it. Instant gratification.

I haven't done it yet but I'm always tempted to immediately gun down my former pubbie teammates when we finish a well-paying mission and spawn in free mode together. I'm not sure how much money they'd drop but they would have over $5000 cash. I'm also surprised I haven't been gunned down either.

As for car bombs, sticky bombs are like 1/10 the price but I suppose you then have to watch the vehicle in question. I like taking heli's, find some bounty hiding in their apartment and land the helicopter outside with a sticky bomb on it. Some other pubbie usually swings by to check out the bounty at some point and there is no way they're passing up an empty heli in the street. :getin:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Question: does anyone know if bounty countdown timers still factor in jobs you do r is that changed since the patch?

MrLonghair posted:

If I had studied French, I would understand the voice chat I run into in two out of three lobbies in this game, because what in the fuuuuuuuck..

Yeah it's like French or some dude with a south london accent. Oddly enough Spanish while common isnt nearly as common as you'd think

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Stickies are fantasic, and I would happily give up $5 for DLC that did nothing but halve their price.

They're great in the middle of firefights too. The other day I had your typical DMing pubbie gun me down. Guy of course decides to come for me when I respawn, so I gun him down as he tries to run me over (carbine rifle :swoon:), and a few times after when he was blindly charging me on foot.

After two or three kills I get bored doing it that way, so I take his fancy orange muscle car, and drive a few blocks away. I park it so it looks like I crashed into a tree, throw a sticky bomb on it, hide around the nearby corner, and wait.

The pubbie is still stuck in that "WHITE DOT MUST KILL :byodood:" mentality and charges straight up the middle of the street towards me, taking cover behind his orange nerdwagon. Left d-pad. Pop. Pubbie dead again, and a rage text saying "fuk u haker i report to psn". Turns out the car wasn't even his personal ride, so I didn't even get bad sport points for it :laugh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Thanks to CRUMBDUMPSTER for completely ruining a long-rear end mission for everyone in it, twice.

The second time I stole the objective, got out of sight, called Lester and dropped my wanted level, and he rams me with literally 8 cop cars and SUVs on him, which he managed to accumulate despite arriving late to the scene. Huge waste of everyone's time.

Driving the objective off a cliff into the sea while we were stuck spectating was also really uhh, yeah.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Harmonica posted:

That's an impressive round. -6 is my best so far. -7 seems like a good target. I think the top score in the world is 25 the last I checked.

23 seems like it would be the lowest legit round without some shennanigans (obviously requiring a perfect round of birdies, eagles on the par 5 and two on the par 3s, which would be some luck).

The gauntlet has been thrown.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

So wait, if I'm level ~70 does the cargobob not spawn anymore? I noticed a while back that nothing but that godawful Annihilator was spawning in helicopter spots, now it's been the Buzzard, figured it was just GTA spawning long chains of retarded poo poo as usual

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...

coyo7e posted:

The second time I stole the objective, got out of sight, called Lester and dropped my wanted level, and he rams me with literally 8 cop cars and SUVs on him, which he managed to accumulate despite arriving late to the scene. Huge waste of everyone's time.

This happened to me last night, thought it wasn't near as bad... Me and someone else stole the two Fed vehicles for TPI, I duck into the underground parking to shake the helo's when here comes our other teammate, most wanted. I tried to give him plenty of room and move to a secluded bit of the garage, but he just rams it right up my tailpipe with a half dozen cops behind him.

Protip: Don't show the cops where we hide our cars.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Do Merryweather mercs just gently caress off if the person who summoned them dies? I was fighting another player and some hostile army guys piled out of a jeep, I'm assuming those were the mercs but I killed the guy a second later and they then became non-hostile and just jumped back in and drove away.

It also turns out that most people aren't expecting you to have a leftover minigun from survival.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
Whats with this whole bad sport thing? Does it reset or do you have to wait until you're labelled as a bad sport and put on "probation" from non-bad sport matches?

I had just got out of survival and a pubbie was trying to blow me up with a buzzard, but I had passive mode on. I then stood still and he landed and tried to shoot me with his buzzard. I waited until he stopped, took passive mode off and then blew him up with a grenade launcher.

He got a new buzzard and blew up my car (which was nearly dead anyway) which he had to pay for and then he tried to kill me again. He once again stupidly landed his buzzard and got out and tried to punch me to death. I stole his buzzard and killed him with it and then flew off into the sky. 5 minutes later he steals a jet and tries his hardest to kill me, I then blew up his jet and he gave up.

I may have accidentally blown up a pubbies sports car and got some bad rep. He then sent mercenaries after me (all of which got blown up) and now he put a 9k bounty on my head. The few pubbies which tried to kill me got sniped and now I'm sitting out at sea in a boat waiting for it to expire.

:frogc00l:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Pubbies really hate it when you follow them with a helicopter, I had one guy waste all his sticky bombs and grenades trying to shoot me down...

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

I just spent 9.95!! posted:

So wait, if I'm level ~70 does the cargobob not spawn anymore? I noticed a while back that nothing but that godawful Annihilator was spawning in helicopter spots, now it's been the Buzzard, figured it was just GTA spawning long chains of retarded poo poo as usual

Yeah, it stops spawning once you hit 30 or something.

It sucks!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I found a big GREEN circle on the minimap, with maybe a half-dozen bangers hanging out near the observatory. Killed them, circle still up, can't find anything on the ground anywhere.. What gives?

Level 52 if that's an indication.. I thought it was a crate but there's nothing here that I can find. :(

edit: there was a flare with red smoke like a crate, but no crate?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 14, 2013

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It also turns out that most people aren't expecting you to have a leftover minigun from survival.

Sandy Shores survival rooftopping, save the last enemy on the final wave, pick up loot and guns you want, kill enemy = score!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I can't be the only one super-disappointed that Lester's "Off The Radar" ability lasts for only one minute. That's barely enough time to do anything! To sneak up on someone with it you already have to be in minimap range, and you sure as poo poo can't use it to escape someone with that short a time period before they're on your tail again.

What's even more laughable is that Lester also has another ability to cancel that out. By the time you realize they've gone off the radar, scrolled through to Lester's contact, waited for the phone to ring and him to pick up, navigated the menu, selected it, and waited for Lester to finish talking, your target would have popped back up on radar normally anyway!

It really should last at least 5 minutes to be useful. Maybe even until you die.

Edit: Actually, I'd love an option for free-roams where the minimap uses deathmatch rules (making sneaking actually useful), and you call Lester to add a person's white dot to the minimap in the first place, and the "Off The Radar" ability blocks people from tracking you that way.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 14, 2013

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Spoon Man posted:

This is my new main ride, complete with clown horn and crew (orange) tire smoke. Once I hit level 61, it will be replaced by an even more gaudy Ruiner.

I need to remake that emblem now that I understand how to make the background transparent / imported SVG larger.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

coyo7e posted:

So I found a big GREEN circle on the minimap, with maybe a half-dozen bangers hanging out near the observatory. Killed them, circle still up, can't find anything on the ground anywhere.. What gives?

Level 52 if that's an indication.. I thought it was a crate but there's nothing here that I can find. :(

edit: there was a flare with red smoke like a crate, but no crate?

A crew-mate I was playing with had this exact issue last night. He went to a smoke marker, found nothing there, but as soon as I arrived a crate spawned with $4000 and some RP inside of it. :iiam:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Aishan posted:

A crew-mate I was playing with had this exact issue last night. He went to a smoke marker, found nothing there, but as soon as I arrived a crate spawned with $4000 and some RP inside of it. :iiam:

The green circle appears a few minutes before the crate does.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So got to play with some wonderful people tonight. Blackguy32 was kind enough to drag me along for some misadventures until I got caught up with taking care of my mutts. Sorry to bail like that on you dude. :(

Was having a great time until I tried to get into someone's apartment. The game bugged out and wouldn't let me move from the spot where you buzz in. I just stood there with a 1k bounty on my head until I got ran over by the dude who set it. After I reapawned I was stuck walking around slowly with no hud, couldn't use my phone, couldn't bring up a sub menu, or even defend myself.

There's some legit fun here but they have to revamp some stuff. Bad sport points for blowing up personal cars has to go. There is zero reason that people should have a more or less invincible weapon that punishes people for fighting back. The 2k death penalty is super duper dumb and serves no single good purpose. Its not to balance anything it simply serves to set the player back for no good reason. Especially with how many random bugs or dumb bullshit that can happen. I've also had cops randomly "find" me even though no one was around at all. It sucks trying to lose 4 stars and having to start over and over again because of no reason other then "gently caress you". The last and most annoying bug was having helicopters disappear as myself and a friend approach them. We got killed by a player because right as we both reached the helicopter it just blinks out of existence leaving us holding our dicks as we get gunned down.

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
For those looking for the Sandking XL, heres how I got one two separate times: Go to the Los Santos customs up in the desert area. I believe there are two up there, go to the Southern one (below the landing strips) and stand by the road. Go to the XBL store (start, left bumper, a, a) then back out of it. It will refresh the car spawns. Stand by the road for a minute or two seeing which cars got loaded in, and if there is no sandking xl, repeat the process.
Note: if the two door sandking is spawning, you still need to repeat the process as that doesnt make the four door spawn any more likely.
Note #2: both times i managed to get the xl it didnt start spawning until nighttime. Not sure if its just coincidence or if time of day affects what shows up.

Now for my question: for anyone that has an FIB Granger (suv), are you still able to mod it at all? And if so, does it's roof number and sirens persist through any mods / resprays?

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I blow people's cars up all the time and I've never been in bad sport hell.

It's because some goons just can't practice some restraint and learn the bad sport system is for them.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I have not had a single bounty text or notification. Is there a level that it gets unlocked at?

Also, I had one of my personal vehicles exploded last night. For the rest of my time online, I was unable to get in touch with anybody from the Insurance company, they were always all busy. Is my car gone forever?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Hockles posted:

I have not had a single bounty text or notification. Is there a level that it gets unlocked at?

Lester should phone you at rank 10 to arrange a meeting. After you see him you can place bounties (and I don't believe you can have bounties placed on you before you see him either.)

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How many races do I need to win to unlock everything?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Aishan posted:

Lester should phone you at rank 10 to arrange a meeting. After you see him you can place bounties (and I don't believe you can have bounties placed on you before you see him either.)

Oh, I should probably actually meet up with him so that notification stops popping up.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
So I think I have a skin condition.

OptimusMatrix fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 14, 2013

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

OptimusMatrix posted:

So I think I have a skin condition.

[timg] http://m.imgur.com/mfbAZgh.jpg[/timg]

You know you can take a selfie with the in game phone camera.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
I think that bad sport for blowing up other people's cars is stupid. What else are sticky bombs for?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

numbs posted:

I think that bad sport for blowing up other people's cars is stupid. What else are sticky bombs for?

You have to blow up a LOT of cars to get to that point.

Sticky bombs are for leaving a Buzzard sitting downtown with one on it and waiting for someone to think it's a gift from the heavens only to blow it up when they are 5 feet off the ground.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

numbs posted:

Blowing up NPC cars? Bad sport for blowing up people's rides is fine, what's not fine is when you're getting knocked for doing it out of self-defence.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Intrepid00 posted:

You know you can take a selfie with the in game phone camera.

Yeah I couldn't figure out how to hot link it directly though

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Aishan posted:

What's not fine is when you're getting knocked for doing it out of self-defense.

And sadly since every pubbie rides around in their hideous tardmobiles at all times, get ready to get stupid bad boy points semi-often.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Athanatos posted:

You have to blow up a LOT of cars to get to that point.

Sticky bombs are for leaving a Buzzard sitting downtown with one on it and waiting for someone to think it's a gift from the heavens only to blow it up when they are 5 feet off the ground.

This is genius. I used to camp on top of the hangar in GTA IV online with an RPG, and I would wait until someone got into the helicopter that spawns right in front of my just to fire the launcher right when he starts to take off. Hilarity ensued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

OptimusMatrix posted:

Yeah I couldn't figure out how to hot link it directly though

Go here:

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/snapmatic/myphotos

Then upload the picture you want to http://imgur.com/

• Locked thread