Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can revive multiple times if you die, revive, deathblow to get rid of the cool down, die etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Deified Data posted:

I've been trying to figure it out on my own the whole game but I've just accepted I never will - what exactly do the two orbs above your vitality mean?

Like I know it's your resurrection power but what exactly does it signify? When you're topped off you have two orbs...when you die and revive you get a line crossed through both...when you perform deathblows or when enough time passes you get one back...but why do you ever have two orbs if you can only revive once anyway?

1 orb comes back whenever you rest and 1 orb fills up gradually as you kill enemies.
After you revive you use up one of the orbs and can’t use the other one until you do a deathblow.
Basically you can’t revive twice on one phase of a boss, but you can revive on one phase,clear that phase, and then revive again on the second phase, provided you went in with two full orbs

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Skeleton King posted:

poo poo! poo poo! I killed the friendly guy you find right at the drunk fat man with sword fight! I snuck up to him and mashed attack and by the time he could tell me to stop I hit him a whole lot and made him hostile. Now he’s dead and I only have one gourd charge and no pellets and drunk man is far far far beyond my abilities. Am I permanently hosed now? I don’t think I am capable of defeating any of the strong named enemies

right now I can fight General guy from the start of the game who maybe I could beat but I am very much not confident in that. I could try the ogre again but I don’t have enough charges to keep burning him and I don’t have enough health to survive any attacks at all.

He actually revives if you rest or respawn, this game doesn’t have the same NPC mechanics as Dark Souls

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Deified Data posted:

I've been trying to figure it out on my own the whole game but I've just accepted I never will - what exactly do the two orbs above your vitality mean?

Like I know it's your resurrection power but what exactly does it signify? When you're topped off you have two orbs...when you die and revive you get a line crossed through both...when you perform deathblows or when enough time passes you get one back...but why do you ever have two orbs if you can only revive once anyway?

you can revive multiple times. you just have to do a deathblow in between to refresh it, ie. remove the black line crossing it out. possibly there are more complexities, but more than once I've died to a boss, revived, gotten the first deathblow and restored my rez availability, and subsequently died and used it. unsure if any deathblow is enough or if different enemies give different "values," like doing a boss deathblow restores it but not just a single mook would.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Ah okay, so the first orb is the deathblow orb that comes back on a cooldown and the second is the freebie from the shrines.

I'm assuming you can get multiple freebies later in the game? I have an item from Lady Butterfly that implies so but I have no way of using it

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

It'd be funny if dragonrot affected the enemies too. You die enough that every single enemy in the game is bent over coughing and you get to instantly deathblow them. Dynamic difficulty!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I feel like I don’t quite “get” the parry system. Is it worth trying to parry enemies that attack immediately after being parried? My heart says yes but my brain says I loving suck at parrying and trying to combo parry is far beyond my ability and too risky. Can I just dodge their follow up attack and go back in? Or will I never win if I do that? Do I have to mash my head into paste trying to get good at parrying or is it possible to use dodging effectively in this?

Augus posted:

He actually revives if you rest or respawn, this game doesn’t have the same NPC mechanics as Dark Souls

Oh thank god.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I feel like I don’t quite “get” the parry system. Is it worth trying to parry enemies that attack immediately after being parried? My heart says yes but my brain says I loving suck at parrying and trying to combo parry is far beyond my ability and too risky. Can I just dodge their follow up attack and go back in? Or will I never win if I do that? Do I have to mash my head into paste trying to get good at parrying or is it possible to use dodging effectively in this?

Oh thank god.

You can parry repeatedly

E: Can and must

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Parrying is always better than just blocking, but it's fairly forgiving in that a lot of the time for rapid attacks you can just rapid press L1 and you'll either get a block or a parry. There's virtually no start-up frames for blocking, just watch your posture to make sure you're not about to get broken. Also remember that holding block makes your posture recover faster.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Oh thank god.

A big part of this game is the posture system, which basically boils down to "whoever is more aggressive and using up less stamina is going to win" So when you're wailing on a boss, and they're doing block, block, parry, they're still taking posture damage. Especially when they're just getting the standard block off. So if you are getting way more successful parries off than they are, you're going to start wearing them down even if they are blocking most of your attacks. So yeah, it is worth trying to parry a counterattack, because the longer you can stay up in their face the more posture damage you can rack up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Motherfucker I had the boss down to a single attack in order to final deathblow and i loving used a combat art by accident which made me eat a huge attack and die. I loving hate combat arts

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

goblin week posted:

Does Guardian Ape have any obvious openings in the second phase? I feel like all I can do is run forever

Maybe this will hopefully help.

When he does his four combo sword swing? You can hug him to the left, after his two sword swings, he delays, and you can attack him from behind for a few hits. It's the fourth combo that has a bit hitbox that can hit you.
When he belly dives at you, he does just one long sweep slash which again, get in his face and smack him once or twice.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Practise with your buddy Hanbei

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The more and faster an enemy attacks you, the easier it is to literally button mash parry without taking a single hit. It's the big hits with weird timings that gently caress me up.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Deified Data posted:

The more and faster an enemy attacks you, the easier it is to literally button mash parry without taking a single hit. It's the big hits with weird timings that gently caress me up.

Yeah eventually you fight mobs that will literally rush you with a ton of attacks and the strat is just mash that parry till the big final attack is going to happen.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I like the ashina elite miniboss because if you can do two quick deflects in a row he gets absolutely owned and it feels amazing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

seems like a good moment to bring up that me and at least one other person are under the impression that the demon bell curse makes parry timings more stringent so something to keep in mind if you're running around with it all willy-nilly

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Jose posted:

Motherfucker I had the boss down to a single attack in order to final deathblow and i loving used a combat art by accident which made me eat a huge attack and die. I loving hate combat arts

I accidentally Ichimonji at least twice in a big fight, and like 60% of the time I happen to use it perfectly and just get a big gently caress-off hit on the enemy. Feels good.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
c'mon he makes them into a necklace smdh

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the heck do you think he does with the necklace

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
i don't see this mechanic specifically pointed out too often but if you attack an enemy that's blocking and then see an orange flash on their weapon - that's an indicator that they're about to counter attack you. deflecting THOSE specific orange flash attacks and then doing the counter-slash followup attack are the "key attacks" that let you do significant posture damage to most humanoid enemies, including bosses. you can deflect/parry all day on regular swings and it won't really do much aside from save you posture damage (which is still good), but the idea is that you press the attack until you see the orange flash, deflect their counter, and then go crazy on hitting them to deal meaningful posture damage. grasping this mechanic and using it (doing it to seven spears ashina spear guy will send him staggering off to the side, after which hitting him a lot will deal a LOT of posture damage) will allow you to up your game a LOT and is oftentimes the key to defeat enemies quickly

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I accidentally Ichimonji at least twice in a big fight, and like 60% of the time I happen to use it perfectly and just get a big gently caress-off hit on the enemy. Feels good.

feels bad dying to a boss on the last hit to an easily dodge and countered attack when you hadn't made the 2nd phase before or since

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deified Data posted:

Ah okay, so the first orb is the deathblow orb that comes back on a cooldown and the second is the freebie from the shrines.

I'm assuming you can get multiple freebies later in the game? I have an item from Lady Butterfly that implies so but I have no way of using it

No the line crossing them out after you rez is the deathblow cooldown.

The second orb is slowly filled by killing enemies. Its the "resurrection power" and that one balloon makes it fill faster

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

did you throw any shuriken at her while she was jumping around

No, i just jump up and slash her out of the air

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oh thank god.

If you're struggling, try parrying and then just holding block for awhile after that, until you see another clear parry moment.

You can dodge but its usually not great, more meant for specific attacks. Deflect is optimal.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Jose posted:

feels bad dying to a boss on the last hit to an easily dodge and countered attack when you hadn't made the 2nd phase before or since

Genichiro loving wrecked me because as he was walking towards me I'd go into Axe Attack, and he would instantly do his "Side Dodge into sweep" attack. It got me like 15 times and I swear I never once saw him do it normally, only as a reaction to my axe.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

MMF Freeway posted:

I like the ashina elite miniboss because if you can do two quick deflects in a row he gets absolutely owned and it feels amazing

Fighting him right now and I just did that. It did feel good, but I still died afterwards.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bosses will absolutely read what you're doing and change their attacks

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
After defeating the final boss everything goes quiet and you get a prompt for a final death blow to finish the fight off. I opened the inventory at this point (because my roommate wanted to know what I was yelling about) and then sat for a solid minute contemplating using the Homeward Idol to reset the fight, after having taken something like sixty attempts to finally achieve victory. I decided against it and went into NG+

I think I made the wrong decision.

God drat, two days on and I still can't get over how incredibly good that fight was. Best in the series, no question.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HenryEx posted:

No, i just jump up and slash her out of the air

shurikens are super effective against airborn enemies and especially if you buy the upgrade upgrade for them they shred LB to pieces.
please read item descriptions in the future tia

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

shurikens are super effective against airborn enemies and especially if you buy the upgrade upgrade for them they shred LB to pieces.
please read item descriptions in the future tia

She so rarely goes into the air though, and it's either a jump away where i immediately follow anyways, or that weird dive kick that i punish via axe anyways

wait

are you telling me a shuriken does more damage than an axe

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
also, upgrades for tools? what are you even talking about

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol gently caress this boss. it did the 2 shuriken into leap attack and hit my firecracker mid leap. I did a charge attack and despite him being blinded the fucker mikiri countered me

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MMF Freeway posted:

He's basically there to teach you that exact lesson. That bosses will have long combo strings that seem intimidating at first, but you have to start seeing those more as opportunities to do posture damage via parries.

Now, most bosses won't be as completely owned by a few parries as the Ashina Elite, most of them require you to whittle their health bar down at least a bit before their posture regen stops being a factor. But the ease and speed of doing rapid fire parries is something you have to absorb if you're gonna have any shot of progressing very far in the game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

HenryEx posted:

if you back off of lady butterfly and go elsewhere you can get upgrades for tools

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HenryEx posted:

defeating the first boss (note: the game's first boss is not lady butterfly) gets you an item you can bring to the sculptor that lets you upgrade your ninja tools

the first upgrade to the shuriken lets you charge it for a second to basically turn the shuriken into a tiny buzz saw that deals hefty posture damage to anything in midair

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sounds good, but, sunk cost fallacy

by the way, i used that dragon blood thing but it doesn't seem to have done anything, everyone is still sick.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

HenryEx posted:

She so rarely goes into the air though, and it's either a jump away where i immediately follow anyways, or that weird dive kick that i punish via axe anyways
when she goes for the air perilous attack you can knock her on her rear end guaranteed and then do a charged sword attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

I could never get that down. Jumping diagonally to the right works like a charm