Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

my dad posted:

There is no "a god" if you are going to develop the train of thought and concept I was replying to. There is only God.

e: To rephrase all of this in a way that is a bit more clear, within the tradition that the game is drawing on, to the best of the ability of a bunch of Korean nerds who like SCP a lot, you do not get to play God and win.
https://twitter.com/TheBonkQueen/status/1555198769393815554

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

MiiNiPaa posted:

I am not sure that Head doesn't know already that they are hosed up and not enjoying every second of it.
In one of the LC cutscenes it was told that people are following illusions and after project ends, they will be free to follow their true desires. Nobody said that their desires will be anything good for society. I mean, most of the City is shown to be passive. Gathering together in Offices, Syndicates, Wings. Trying to find something to follow, to belong to, afraid of falling out of the line, accepting everything as part of life. Yesod getting angry with Roland for just accepting everything about Singularities and blaming weakness and inability to do anything anyway for not trying to chnge anything.

Excellent use of your Pratchett, and as astute an observation as before. I'd argue that if we see the light as good-person-brainwashing, that could still work; but that depends on whether it could forcibly rewire psychopaths to gain empathy.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

NullBlack posted:

Do you think things would have been different, better, for Angela, if Ayin considered her a person? If Daddy saw her as his little girl?
I don't think so. Remember: the sephirot and employees were people, too. And what he did to them was already "unforgivable". He'd have done the same things to person!Angela that he did to machine!Angela, because that's what the plan required. Don't know how he knew that's what was necessary, but the plan came within a hairs-breadth of success before being sabotaged, so he must have been on to something. He certainly was not incompetent.

This is from a few pages back, but I want to riff off of it, because I find Ayin to be a fascinating character.

I do think that if Ayin saw Angela as a person, it would have changed his plan. Possibly derailing it entirely. His plan was constructed around him being the one to suffer - not anyone else. Yes, the Sephirot went through hell, over and over. The employees died a thousand different ways. The clerks don't count. Every time a Manager hit the end of his rope and wiped everything back to zero (deleting the save), all that suffering never happened - they had no memory of it. The only person who retained anything was the Manager, leaving copies of himself each time he reached the end of the process and failed.

Ayin wanted to punish himself, not anyone else. If he saw Angela as his daughter, as a person, he would have wanted her not to remember so she wouldn't 'steal' his martyrdom that he'd so carefully constructed for himself. But without Angela to retain the knowledge of what worked to move the process closer to completion - to learn the Script through thousands of repetitions - it would never reach the end.

Or would it? If he was not Ayin, but someone very close but without as intense an urge to self-flagellate, it might have worked out. Bring Angela in on the whole process. Teach her how important it was to guide the process through - how there would be suffering, but it was for a worthwhile end, and only she could be the one to find the path through. But since he couldn't see her as a person, only as a thing that was effectively an extension of himself (an all too common thing with abusive/narcissistic parents), instead he just threw her into the meatgrinder to sugger.

Of course, that would only change what kind of parental abuse he was inflicting on her, not remove it, but it is an interesting thought experiment.

TheDoomkitten
Jun 11, 2022

Angela did nothing wrong.

SlimeTheCrazy posted:

While these discussions keep going on and we wait for the next part of this thrilling battle sequence, I figure nows a good time as any to share this little old doodle I made ages ago that I meant to share as soon as we did Yesods Realization, but just kept forgetting until we are now at the tail end of Hods. Oops. Nevertheless I hope the thread finds some enjoyment in this image as I have.

Reject humanity. Return to boxbot. Seriously tho I really love this, they're both very cute

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

SlimeTheCrazy posted:

While these discussions keep going on and we wait for the next part of this thrilling battle sequence, I figure nows a good time as any to share this little old doodle I made ages ago that I meant to share as soon as we did Yesods Realization, but just kept forgetting until we are now at the tail end of Hods. Oops. Nevertheless I hope the thread finds some enjoyment in this image as I have.

Such massive edge on Der Yesöd that I'm surprised the page is intact.

I love it :v:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Kenlon posted:

This is from a few pages back, but I want to riff off of it, because I find Ayin to be a fascinating character.

I do think that if Ayin saw Angela as a person, it would have changed his plan. Possibly derailing it entirely. His plan was constructed around him being the one to suffer - not anyone else. Yes, the Sephirot went through hell, over and over. The employees died a thousand different ways. The clerks don't count. Every time a Manager hit the end of his rope and wiped everything back to zero (deleting the save), all that suffering never happened - they had no memory of it. The only person who retained anything was the Manager, leaving copies of himself each time he reached the end of the process and failed.

Ayin wanted to punish himself, not anyone else. If he saw Angela as his daughter, as a person, he would have wanted her not to remember so she wouldn't 'steal' his martyrdom that he'd so carefully constructed for himself. But without Angela to retain the knowledge of what worked to move the process closer to completion - to learn the Script through thousands of repetitions - it would never reach the end.

Or would it? If he was not Ayin, but someone very close but without as intense an urge to self-flagellate, it might have worked out. Bring Angela in on the whole process. Teach her how important it was to guide the process through - how there would be suffering, but it was for a worthwhile end, and only she could be the one to find the path through. But since he couldn't see her as a person, only as a thing that was effectively an extension of himself (an all too common thing with abusive/narcissistic parents), instead he just threw her into the meatgrinder to sugger.

Of course, that would only change what kind of parental abuse he was inflicting on her, not remove it, but it is an interesting thought experiment.

If you torture someone and then wipe both the physical effects and the memory of that, have you actually not hurt them? I don't think I agree with that. They still dissolved, or turned into a bee, or went on a really nice ocean vacation, even if no one remembers it happening.

Plus there were all the rabbits. I don't think Hokma stored their info.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Qrr posted:

If you torture someone and then wipe both the physical effects and the memory of that, have you actually not hurt them? I don't think I agree with that.

W Corp certainly thinks so!

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Qrr posted:

If you torture someone and then wipe both the physical effects and the memory of that, have you actually not hurt them? I don't think I agree with that. They still dissolved, or turned into a bee, or went on a really nice ocean vacation, even if no one remembers it happening.

I don't agree with that either! Whether you remember it or not, that version of you (which was murdered by the reset) still suffered.

But with Ayin's self-loathing, inwardly focused perception? I can absolutely see him believing that.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

BisbyWorl posted:

W Corp certainly thinks so! doesn't give a poo poo!

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Kenlon posted:

But with Ayin's self-loathing, inwardly focused perception? I can absolutely see him believing that.

...except that Ayin wasn't self-loathing or inwardly focused. He didn't create L-Corp to punish himself, he created it to achieve Carmen's mission. His friends (and Binah) were psychologically broken so that when their Sephirah Breakdown happens and is then resolved, whatever personal realization (eg "The Will to Stand up Straight" etc) is needed by the Sephirah to stop being broken can be copied to build the Seed of Light. He basically used his friends (and Binah) as test subjects for vaccine research, with the intent of spreading that "vaccine" to everyone in the City*. The employees were put through endless cycles of death and revival because, well, Cogito and Abnormalities are loving dangerous, sending (non-intelligent) machines to do it won't break the Sephirot, and hiring replacement employees would be impossible with the time acceleration and without catching the attention of the Head.

Ayin's "self-loathing" was because of L-Corp, not the other way around.

*I don't think Ayin and Carmen thought the plan's end result would be "bam everyone is happy and friendly and non-psychopathic now!" (that seems unrealistically optimistic for even them); probably more of "everyone who can be helped by this will be happy and friendly, and will outnumber (and hopefully outgun) the psychopaths for a change"

There's something oddly enjoyable about saying "Ayin's friends (and Binah)"

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Binah (Binah)

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Binah (perjorative)

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Binners (winners)

oobitydoo
Oct 1, 2021

Theantero posted:

Binners (winners)

Binner Binner chicken dinner?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Pigbuster posted:

Binah (Binah)

:binahsip: :lobcorp:

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Binners don't do Enkaphalin, but they do do Cogito

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
Binah (Affectionate)

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Pigbuster posted:

Binah (Binah)

Today in the Bincourse we discuss what it's right to put your departmental employees through day to day: Is normal torture not enough? Is hyper-torture too much?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Thesis 3: Hod—Conclusion

Music: Angela02

Previously, on PAUL: Nth Blood Part 2: After a dangerous brush with his past, Paul managed to pull himself together and—with the help of Miss Hod and the rest of the Literature squad—managed to push the powerful Dark Angela through two different distortionary transformations! Now, they must combine their powers and take down her new, monstrous spidery form. Will the L-squad do it? Or will they be made into cocoons like so many before them?

I know I said to pretend, but was that really necessary?

I dunno. It just felt right to put a cut there.

Uh… huh.

I cannot reach you. That is a given. But if I try… I can protect that which I need to. Stay away from what I'm carefully raising.

Red Eyes posted:

It’s to protect the place where I belong…

Yes… Maybe I don’t have the heart to be rid of you after all…

To ensure that nothing escapes my notice, my eyes moved busily…

You lot will slowly lose hope.

Letting out faint breaths, waiting for a next time that may never come…

To fatten up the still incomplete being… Much is needed.

It can’t be helped. The one book that will set me free… is my everything.

Having to witness them all despair from beginning to end… I collapsed at last.

I just wished to close my eyes. Why did I bother entertaining the empty hope that I will reach you one day. What good did I see in you?

Red Eyes's strategy hasn't changed at all from back when we fought Spider Bud. Her Spiderlings are our primary targets right now, and once we take one out we'll be able to face her directly.

The Spiderlings have a bit more HP/SR than before, but ultimately work exactly the same.

Stingy Fangs got a +2 to both its dice, but is the same Disarm-inflicting page as always. Thin Webbing, meanwhile, was buffed to have both Block dice inflict 1 Bind on a clash win. Additionally, its offensive die got +1 minimum and +2 maximum.

These guys are weak to Blunt, though, so…

The spiders are incredibly fragile. I just blew on them and they're nearly down for the count.

Just be careful of their fangs. They're still sharp as ever.

They may be sharp, but we gotta' face them down if we want to get momma to descend! It's like bears, but with more legs!

That's true… and with this, we should have her full attention.

My children… How dare you!

That definitely got her attention…

She's too fast; I can't intercept her, Miss Hod!

That's fine.

I've done something terrible to her. I should face it head on.

Hold on a second, there's no need to be a martyr.

Not to worry. I've no intention of dying here, Roland.

Cry Out is Red Eyes's main mode of attack when she's in her offensive mode. It's a relatively meaty first die that guarantees a Stagger on hit, alongside a second 5-5 scratch. I've decided to let the 5-5 pass so that Hod can stuff the first attack with Yield My Flesh—it's our best odds of keeping her up.

Her other two dice use Gleaming Eyes, giving her a total of six Counter dice she can use to cause us serious problems—Feeble can blunt our offensive if we get a bit unlucky, while Disarm… Okay, Disarm wouldn't really hurt us, but we'd still prefer not getting hit.

Everyone, I've given us this chance. Make it count.

Will do!

What about the last spider..?

Eh, you're tough. Just ignore it.

You think I'll let you harm the one thing I care for, and let you go unpunished?

Instead, become the food that fuels our progress.

There was a 40% chance of this happening; it's fine.

I could say the same thing for you. Harming a friend isn't going to end well for you.

In fact, we were waiting for this moment to smoke you out.

I am fighting for my future. Do not interfere!

Uggh… getting through her defenses is harder than I thought.

Domineering directors! We did make it through, though! And dealt a bajmillion damage on top of it!

Big number!!!! :black101:

And now she's off balance! All yours, Medea!

That's one spider squashed!

Two. We've squashed two spider-based costumes so far.

Whatever, we got it done!

Without family, without friends, unable to protect my precious ones…

All that is left to me is my desire.

My one shining hope… I won't allow you to touch it!

Sanguine Desire posted:

Keep your hands off… Now you’re trying to take away the only thing I have?

I’ve lost too much to let go of what little I have left in my hands.

This is all that I have left… There’s nothing else…

With this gorgeous, shiny thing in my possession, I won’t have anything to envy in this world.

It’s mine… This means everything to me, so don’t take it away!!!

With more blood painted over, the shoes and I… are tinged with beauty.

I need this… I don’t know how to become better myself…

Only these shoes… can make me dance. They make me move!

If you wanted to stop me, you should have done it from the beginning…

I’ll gladly risk my feet being chopped off, no longer being able to walk…

This glamour is for me alone… No one else can lay a finger on it!

Sanguine Desire is our phase 4 this time, with a trio of abilities to her name. The first makes clear that she'll focus on any allies with Bleed, and the second describes a unique debuff she applies on every hit. The third, meanwhile, tells us about a powerful page she'll use if our Bleed gets high enough.

The left shoes, meanwhile, have Speed and not much else.

Every turn, each shoe uses Concealed Desire and Whispering Desire. Both of them inflict Bleed to whoever they hit.

Sanguine Desire, meanwhile, has a few pages she can select from. Tenacity gives her a pair of Counter Evade dice, alongside a meaty second die that gets +6 Power if the enemy has Bleed. Additionally, if it hits she'll lock a speed die of the person she just smacked in the face.

Bursting Desire, meanwhile, is a trio of small dice that gives Sanguine Desire back HP equal to the amount of Bleed on her target. Thankfully the dice are small, so this page can be stopped fairly easily by any Evade die.

Obsession is the last normal page she can use, and it comes with two decent attacks alongside a fairly decent Evade die. The attacks inflict Fragile, making the person hit take more damage next scene—and +3 Power vs Bleeding opponents turns her offensive dice from decent into powerful.

Are you going to be okay, Miss Hod?

I just need a moment to get out of this webbing.

Hod's not being targeted, so there should be nothing to worry about.

Then let's take the fight to Angela, team!

I've at last been allowed to dance on my own. You won't take my one desire from me!

Desires or whatever, it doesn't matter. You were an enemy the moment you raised an axe against us.

Sixty-two Stagger Damage, to an enemy with 50 SR. Smoke is insane, particularly against enemies that are weak to Blunt.

You shouldn't worry about her dancing much anyways, Miss Medea. She's got three left feet!

Shouldn't it be four?

Oh yeah! I forgot about the one on her body! Oopsie daisy.

The number of feet don't matter! I can dance, so long as I wear these shoes… At last, I can move as I wish!

The 4 stacks of Disarm mess up my plan here; it's important to remember that debuffs do carry over between phases—it made my Deep Drag's Evade die into a nearly guaranteed loss against Sanguine Desire's attacks.

You're not moving how you like, you're being pulled around by the shoes you're in.

But it was my choice to put them on.

Actually, Miss Director, The Red Shoes can temporarily ensorcel the mind of someone with their spells! You might've been forced to choose it by some kind of shoe wizard!

Shut up, all of you! I've never been more beautiful than in this moment… dancing on an ephemeral background of red!

She's getting more hyped up as we go…

They say a candle burns brightest before it goes out. Let's just press our advantage.

I finally took care of that webbing. What's the situation?

That scent… the scent of blood, driving my tempo to a fervent pace.

I can't hold back any longer!!

Not the greatest. We'll get by.

I CAN'T RESIST IT!!! is the powerful combat page Sanguine Desire's Glitter passive refers to. She'll aim right for whoever has the most Bleed with it, and its first three dice add 2 Bleed this turn onto her target. This is all building towards the final die, a 2-2 that gains 3 Power for each Bleed on the target. This does purge the Bleed afterwards, but even having 4 Bleed turns this die into a guaranteed 14—this is why I'm intercepting it with someone who doesn't have any Bleed to their name.

So her desire is now raging out of control… layer by layer, we seem to be taking things from her. It's a little sad…

Huh? How do you mean?

First, her E.G.O had a family. Then, she simply had friends. After that, lesser beings it was her duty to look over and protect. Denied that, now she's holding tight to her desire.

Ah… yeah, I guess if you put it like that it's a little sad, but… That's just how things go in the City.

Still… Be a good friend to her, would you?

Hey, hey, now's not the time to get all sappy.

He's right; these things are trying to get at our blood.

This dance is at its most beautiful when the sanguine-colored rain falls.

Just focus on pushing them back, and attack once we get the chance!

Why stop there? I've cut off one of her legs.

And I've taken care of her.

Oh hey, that's everyone. Now's your chance to go wild.

Then let's get a little nutty!

Reminder: Sanguine Desire had 250 HP. It's all gone now. It's been two turns.

Smoke is insane.

Denied even my desire… I can do nothing, change nothing, affect nothing.

I'm not allowed desires, either… I must… protect myself.

Music: Angela03

No matter the cost, I'll make a space where I can breathe.

Today's Expression posted:

I could have this much space for myself…

Maybe I wouldn’t have felt as bad if I couldn’t approach you lot because of shyness.

It’s the last bit of generosity this City can offer.

Where is the place I can rest with some peace of mind? Is there such a place at all?

A home… A place where I don’t have to care about the attention of others… That’s what I’m wishing for.

This place allows neither laughter nor despair. What kind of expression must I make, then?

There is no place for me anywhere. I had to make one myself, even if it cost me my skin.

When throbbing emotions surge up, it’s best to simply close my eyes.

Today's Expression is unique in that she's the first fight in which the timing of starting the turn matters.

While the Speed Dice are rolling, Today's Shy Look is in the background shifting her mood as usual. When we hit Space to start the turn…

Today's Expression's look is set, and based on that all five of her offensive dice will play the same page—she'll have more or less dice depending on how many of us are left. There's one for each Librarian.

Sad Face is a pair of Block dice with an attack on the end. Beating the first one will break the rest of the dice on the page, but it can break back and inflict Fragile.

But if we hit 'Sad' again, all its rolls are guaranteed to be 2's.

She can use any of four other abilities should she roll those faces, as well, each having distinctive ups and downs. Joyous is likely the best since it restores our light.

But if we hit their relevant emotion, all of their rolls are also guaranteed to be 2's.

Every three turns, she'll also play Wavering Feelings instead of an emotion page. This page can instantly Stagger, and also deals bonus damage to Staggered opponents.

But if we hit the right emotion, all of its rolls are guaranteed to be 2's as well.

As a result, Today's Expression has a simple enough strategy.

Step 1: Press P.

I'll hide my feelings behind a mask, and keep everyone out of this space I've created. I'll be safe… safe.

Everyone knows what to do, right?

Of course, Miss Hod! We wait for her to be in the right mood, and then whe go in beatsticks first!

Well said.

Step 2: Wait for the figure in the back to line up with the right face, and hit Space.

If I shut my eyes and let things pass, my emotions can't set me back any longer.

I'm sorry…

But it's time to rip that mask off. You don't need it any longer.

The one downside of hitting her Sad expression is that winning this first clash breaks the rest of the page—meaning Hod won't be doing this two more times. :sigh:

Of course I need it. Without this mask, there's nothing left to me.

Nothing will get better. Nothing will change.

If nothing's changed, then why are you here fighting us? That never would've happened before.

You're standing in my way, taking yet more from me. That's why I'm stopping you.

It's nearly the end of the episode and I haven't died yet! That's also a change!

Who's to say that you're even the protagonist anymore?

Well… that's a change too, right Miss Hod?

That's right, Paul. This isn't some eternally-repeating story anymore. You're allowed to act as you like, and nothing will reset.

Don't… take this from me… It's all I have…

Given that you're still looking like an Abnormality yourself… I'll just pretend I didn't hear anything.

No… My mask. What have you done..?

Therapy, apparently.

Are we done?

Seems like she hasn't got anything left. You're clear.

Hey! I did survive! Good on us, Miss Hod!

Yes, I'm just glad everyone is safe.

Saaame… I'm going to need a good stretch after this.

Let's get started on cleanup while we're still on an adrenaline high. We'll leave the rest to you, Miss Hod.

Aw, maan…

Thanks, Medea. I appreciate it.

While Hod's realization starts off with its strongest foot forward, if we can get out of the first couple of phases with most of our team intact the fight's difficulty curve quickly falls apart. This is made even more plain if we run a Smoke team, since we're able to set up our self smoke in the early rounds against Black Swan and carry that through the entire fight—Phase 1 was literally half the battle.

Altogether, it's not too hard so long as we build our decks with a long fight in mind.

VIDEO
Music: HodStory

Right now, you’re so obsessed with the one book that’ll supposedly complete you. You’re strictly relying on that, instead of holding any expectations for yourself. It’s like the irony people have in the City.

…Perhaps you’re right, after all. Maybe I’m desperately looking for a place to call home, like you said. And putting myself in a cycle once again, trying to find the home I’ll never reach…

But it doesn’t have to end like that. No one’s life has to.

That’s right, I’m different.

A wheel advances forward with each cycle it makes.

Yeah. Even if everyone is doing the same things over and over, I believe, I hope in one thing. That this is not a simple repetition, but a practice to become a better person.

I didn’t expect to hear that much from you. Get on with your book discussion meetup or whatever.

…And…

…Nevermind.

Maybe she wanted to thank us for helping her?

Must’ve been too embarrassed to say it herself, if that’s the case.

I guess she was.

Say, Roland, would you like to join today’s meetup?

Uhh… I appreciate the suggestion, but I’m a busy man, you see!

Maybe next time~ Thanks for the hard work today, Hod~!

Music: Lobby

With that, we've finally handled Hod's Realization! We get the usual rewards here, some E.G.O pages and our final batch of Abnormality pages to go with them.

Gooey Waste is just good, knocking all enemies with a smorgasbord of status effects any time the holder wins a clash. The more enemies there are, the better it becomes—but even against 1 opponent, stacks of Paralysis are great. The only downside is that it activates twice per turn, meaning that the Bleed winds up barely being noteworthy at all.

Well-worn Parasol, meanwhile, is a 30% chance to reflect attacks that go through. While we never want to rely on this, the fact of the matter is that sometimes, a die is just Too Big to be blocked by anything. Since this page doesn't come until Floor Emotion Level 5, we should be aware if the opponent has something like that—and if it does, this can make a good hail mary play. Otherwise, it falls a bit short.

Lastly, there's Loving Family. 6 Protection to one character, decaying by 1 each scene, is… okay. It'll grant a boost of longevity and blunt damage heavily, but in general it's weak for how late in a fight we'll be seeing it.

Over and over… Why does this keep happening..?

Time and again, as we proceed… I keep questioning it. Can one book hold such power?

…Yes. That's right. There's not any other path currently available to me, in either case. The wheel will turn, and only at its destination can I know how worthwhile it all was.

…though… as the wheel turns, there's no harm in working on a few things to better myself, as well.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

"Still, it didn’t matter to him. After all, he was “destined” to be a big bad wolf."

Videos

Hod 6
Hod Realization (Unedited combat footage; may cause distortions. Watch at own risk.)

New E.G.O Pages

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 31, 2022

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Gooey Waste is great. It gives extra damage, more opportunities to set up clashes, nerfes opponents rolls, all at the same time. Trigger conditions are trivial to meet and results are too good to skip this card.

Well-worn Parasol is probably good on character with good HP restoration, since it is not reliable. I am not a fan of low% chance of working, I would prefer "works every xth time", so you could play around it, but results are still good and speed buff allows you to redirect attention of most dangerous enemies to yourself. It does turns game into a gamble though.

Loving Family. It... gives some Protection to a single character. Which is reduced over time and soon will become useless... It is certainly a contender for the place of worst 3rd level Abno card in the game after Malice.

Today’s Expression has a high-rolling block die and deals good damage against staggered targets. Not to mention good block die and all that for 3 Light! A great card if used at the right moment.

Sanguine Desire is useless if you are not running Bleed: it has lower rolls than some current 3-costs. If you do run Bleed build on several Librarians, then you can do ridiculous amount of damage with it: it is quite easy to stack >30 Bleed on single tagret, which turns into +60 power for last die. Take full Bleed damage for the round for all enemies into account and you can deal a LOT of damage. A great boss killer.

Red Eyes damage is not that impressive for its cost, but -3 to all rolls next Scene worth it. Again, best used for bosses, because ability to neuter them for a single Scene is great.

Laetitia - a mass blunt Transpierce. Its unique ability gives everyone a completely worthless card with high usage priority. Which usually means that everyone will play it next scene. This will make one of their speed dice to not use any actully dangerous cards, but on the other hand, they are guaranteed to generate 2 emotion coins if you clash with them. For obvious reasons Gift doesn't work for enemies with Shimmering or with some script directly controlling what they play. In addition some cards (lke Sweepers protection card) might have higher priority than Small Gift, which makes using it in any special fight risky.

Black Swan - a mass Forceful Gesture. Special ability is completely useless against enemies with Shimmering. While it could be good card to starve enemies of Light, it high cost might prevent you from using it too often.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Once I fully realized Hod. I used her all the time up until very late game where I switched to Yesod. Doesn't matter if her slash based got ruined since I'm using her for defense (Look of the Day, Social Distancing, Meal, Friend, I have no idea what to pick for tier III).

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

TeeQueue posted:

"Still, it didn’t matter to him. After all, he was “destined” to be a big bad wolf."

...I'm getting the impression that Philip/TeeQueue/the e̷̬̐ĺ̷̝̩ḍ̷̽r̸͔͗i̴̬͔̅͝t̴̥̏̐c̷͈̐h̴̜͋͌ ̶͕͋f̵͎̊̋o̷͕̍ǘ̶̝̞r̴̬͆t̸͚̪̾ẖ̸͕̽͐ ̸͉͔́w̴̧͈͊a̷͙̣̐͊l̶̞̰̑l̴͍̭̔̓-̴̠̇̓v̶͕̓͂ī̴̧õ̴̫̭l̷̪̪͋̕a̶͎̭̅̚ẗ̵͕ȉ̸͙n̶͓̚g̸̭͇̃ ̷̰̳͒q̴͎͛̽ṻ̶͙͔́ȅ̴̮̬̄s̸͚̈t̴̘͐̀ ̴̛͇̍g̵̗͗͋i̸̺͊͗v̴̻̪̿̈́e̷͙̎̑r̸͙̐̅ is getting impatient.

Unfortunately, the equally eldritch quest choosers want to free another nugget from limbo.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Sanguine Desire is my favorite because its special power is just reverting the Early Access nerfs to Bleed :v:

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I'm tempted to go with "..." but I wanna save it for the end.

SlimeTheCrazy
Feb 21, 2022

I HAVE CHORTLES
Not gonna lie, part of me was hoping Angela would adopt Todays Shy Looks Potty mouth but A)I guess that wouldn't really fit the narrative stakes and B) She didn't even land on the angry face.

On a side note, on my playthrough of this game I did this Realization and kept losing guys as the phases went on until my last librarian, who's skin I had changed through modding to look like Todays Shy Look the abnormality, was the only one left st the last phase and two had a freaking duel to the death that I somehow managed to win. It was a pretty fantastic moment for me.

Anyhow, will we finally do Phillip or will we pay the big bad wolf a visit? Time shall tell and it will probably be the later if pattern holds up.

SlimeTheCrazy
Feb 21, 2022

I HAVE CHORTLES
Also I know it's probably because the sunny pretty nest house would probably not make for a great last arena but why did Angela have to go and ruin Shy Looks home like that. The whole point of the abnos books is to simulate for them an ideal environment and she just went and ruined it. Why would she do that, that's mean :(

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Bringing up the thing I posted about before regarding the order of the Abnormalities, it’s because as the phases go on Angela has fewer and fewer minions/helpers.

Also it is ADORABLE watching Angela slowly learning how to People/work through her trauma.

SlimeTheCrazy
Feb 21, 2022

I HAVE CHORTLES

Chaosbrain posted:

Bringing up the thing I posted about before regarding the order of the Abnormalities, it’s because as the phases go on Angela has fewer and fewer minions/helpers.

Also it is ADORABLE watching Angela slowly learning how to People/work through her trauma.
But why does that necessitate plopping a flesh tarp on their house? And turning everything blood red, that’s just mean :(

SlimeTheCrazy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 30, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TeeQueue posted:

Big number!!!! :black101:

Is there a battle symbol for doing 69 damage to something?

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022
I didn't expect you to do the remaining phases in a single part.

But one thing important for next Abnormality fight: It'd be a REAL waste if the Little Red Ridding Hooded Mercenary doesn't get a single line of dialogue regarding her arch-nemesis.

TheDoomkitten
Jun 11, 2022

Angela did nothing wrong.
Nothing much to add here, just more appreciation for how much drat effort TQ puts into these realizations. Good job, man.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

TheDoomkitten posted:

Nothing much to add here, just more appreciation for how much drat effort TQ puts into these realizations. Good job, man.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Hod’s realization is odd for how reverse the difficulty curve is.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Quackles posted:

Is there a battle symbol for doing 69 damage to something?

There’s an achievement for 150.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Dammit Roland, let Hod invite you to her bookclub date :(

nickfan1
Jul 22, 2022
One thing I like about Hod Realization is how it shows that the Realizations aren't going to strictly follow the formula set by the first two. In Hod's case, the Abnormality order was reversed compared to Malkuth and Yesod.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
Hod's realization is really well-written on TQ's part (and not just because of Paul :allears:), because we get to see how even with a barebones support structure Angela has been suffering. With absolutely nothing she is DROWNING, straight up, in what she's doing and what she has done. Her plan moving forward is definitely more wheel than treadmill now, a cycle that pushes ever-onwards with every rotation, but we just have to hope this isn't Prometheus and people actually know how to get the gently caress out of the WAY of said wheel. :v:

Also the new cards are interesting and having a "rip and tear" finisher to close out Bleed targets is very on-brand and fun. More games need to treat damage-over-time status effects (one of my favorite design concepts) as more than just an end to themselves. There's so much interesting space in exploiting statuses, proliferating them, intensifying them, synergizing them... Siralim Ultimate does this very well actually, which reminds me to get back to my playthrough now that I'm caught up here.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Poll's closed—We're moving right along to clear out Gebura's next Abnormality. Hooray for murder! :buddy:

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Picking Abnormality already become our second nature.

Increasing the floor's power and gaining new librarians is more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

TeeQueue posted:

First, her E.G.O had a family. Then, she simply had friends. After that, lesser beings it was her duty to look over and protect. Denied that, now she's holding tight to her desire.

How did I not see that before? Also, ouch.

Ariamaki posted:

Her plan moving forward is definitely more wheel than treadmill now, a cycle that pushes ever-onwards with every rotation, but we just have to hope this isn't Prometheus and people actually know how to get the gently caress out of the WAY of said wheel. :v:

The problem with a wheel running at a high number of Revolutions is that someone gets run over.

To be fair to Angela, whilst in some ways she's recreated Ayin's "reach transcendence or continue suffering eternally" environment with her library, just aimed at her own personal enlightenment, she has retained enough empathy to blunt its edges. Yes, during the battles librarians believe their deaths will be final, but they are, without fail, restored to perfect health afterwards. The staff, the abnormalities, the Sephirah- anything Ayin exploited and discarded, Angela carefully picked up, dusted off, and gave another chance at life.

This is also reflected in the gameplay - LobCorp works on the Days of the script. If you fail, you will eventually rewind, losing progress in the story. The Libary moves ever forwards - even if you lose a reception, you keep everything you've gained so far. You can keep trying, and each time you will move forward in some way.