Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Um, it's "Weeping Widow", now "Willow".

e: still, that's better than I could do without a head cold.

God, I'm an idiot: I misread it like every time I checked the name, and even as I was typing it out I was like "Why the hell do they call a standing stone a willow?" Whoops. Fixed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry! I was away for the weekend and didn't expect the game would be under way this early.

Ratpick posted:

Your friend Jerald, the reformed bully, once really hurt another youth while you were practicing for the shield wall, and you showed him the error of his ways, gaining +1 Str. Did you approach Jerald scolding him for his behavior knowing that he was the village bully or did you show empathy to him?

Same question as Jerald: you both worked with the blacksmith, Erik, and his daughter, Joan, was quite the looker. Did you take a liking to her, and if so, did you consider Jerald a potential rival for her affections?

1) The latter, I think. Victor knows that Jerald is genuinely tougher than he is, and he wouldn't want to start a conflict that might not go his way.

2) Everyone in town thinks Victor and Joan might have something going: why wouldn't she be interested in a big, strong, handsome guy? But he doesn't feel that he deserves her until he does something with his life, and Joan is smart enough to see through his inflated reputation. As far as he's concerned, Jerald is no different from the other dozen boys who stare when Joan goes down the street; he has no idea Jerald might be harboring any more serious feelings.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Selachian posted:

Sorry! I was away for the weekend and didn't expect the game would be under way this early.

That's quite alright. I just got very excited about the game over the weekend, but I' m actually in no hurry to get this game going.

Speaking of which, my schedule is pretty full for the next couple of days, so I won't be able to post a game thread until then. I've already got the Scenario Pack prepared for the game, but before I post the game thread I need all of you to do one more thing: give me a 1d12 roll so I can see what recent event has touched you in town. For each recent event, the character to your left will also be there to help you. These recent events are not entire encounters, more like little vignettes to get the scenario rolling. Once I've got everyone's roll I'll start working on the game thread.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ratpick posted:

Speaking of getting into serious trouble, remember that time you got caught in the woods with Jerald and you saved each other's lives? What had been your experience of Jerald before that incident?

A troubled boy who usually tried to quell his inner unrest by unleashing it upon others. Still, it was obvious he wasn't all bad but merely in need of guidance and purpose.

Ratpick posted:

Speaking of which, my schedule is pretty full for the next couple of days, so I won't be able to post a game thread until then. I've already got the Scenario Pack prepared for the game, but before I post the game thread I need all of you to do one more thing: give me a 1d12 roll so I can see what recent event has touched you in town. For each recent event, the character to your left will also be there to help you. These recent events are not entire encounters, more like little vignettes to get the scenario rolling. Once I've got everyone's roll I'll start working on the game thread.

1d12: 8

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ratpick posted:

Die roll: 1d12 6

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

something happens: 1d12 6

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Oooo, mysterious...: 1d12 2

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rocks fall, everyone dies: 1d12 6

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Three sixes.

That's not ominous at all.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

Three sixes.

That's not ominous at all.

Haha, holy poo poo. That's actually really perfect for my... purposes. :getin:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Reformed Bully, the Wannabe Knight, and the Teenage Male Witch are about to embark on a ridiculous buddy adventure, aren't we?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Reformed Bully, the Wannabe Knight, and the Teenage Male Witch are about to embark on a ridiculous buddy adventure, aren't we?

Where they learn that the real magic... is friendship.

And magic. Magic is also magic.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

By the way, I just went back and added a description and background for Jacoby, in addition to naming the witch I learned under. I'm pretty much going to be basing things on the Pratchett witchcraft mode; I picture Jacoby as a sort of mix between Magrat and Tiffany Aching.

And yes, Jacoby wears the witch's hat. Not sure what it looks like yet, though.

e: Lawks, I suppose.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 13, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

By the way, I just went back and added a description and background for Jacoby, in addition to naming the witch I learned under. I'm pretty much going to be basing things on the Pratchett witchcraft mode; I picture Jacoby as a sort of mix between Magrat and Tiffany Aching.

And yes, Jacoby wears the witch's hat. Not sure what it looks like yet, though.

e: Lawks, I suppose.

I am 100% behind this. I love Pratchett's witches. You are a good person for doing this.

e: Oh my god, this part

Evil Mastermind posted:

Jacoby first came to the attention of Zabitha, the town's elderly witch, when she saw him carving small wooden totems. The totems resembled a few of the smaller spirits that lived in the forest, and when Zabitha asked how Jacoby knew how to carve those images, he simply replied, "I don't know, that's just how they're supposed to look."

That is so good!

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 13, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Allie

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 14, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ratpick posted:

I am 100% behind this. I love Pratchett's witches. You are a good person for doing this.

e: Oh my god, this part

That is so good!

Aw man you're making me blush. :shobon:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hendrick

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jacoby

(only a little dweebier, and not as well dressed)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Victor

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Game thread up!

Just a bit of explanation as to how these recent events things work: these are not full, fleshed out scenes with multiple checks being made, but a single ability score test to get the game started. As with normal ability score test, you're trying to roll under the relevant ability with a d20.

To influence the outcome of the ability score test you can:
  • Use a skill. If you have a skill that you feel is somehow relevant to the check, you get +2 to your relevant ability score, +4 in case you managed to get that skill twice in character creation.
  • Use a fortune point. This gives you a reroll on the ability score check and can be done after you see the result of your test.

However, there's a secondary character involved in the scene as well. They can't make the test for you, but they can help you in one of the following ways:
  • Helping with a skill. Again, if the other person involved in the scene has a skill relevant to the check, it counts for a +2 to your ability score provided they somehow narrate how they used their skill to help you. If both of you have the skill in question, I'm willing to let that count for another +2. Effectively, the other person gives you their skill rating for the sake of this test (so if the helping person had a +4 in the relevant skill, you'd add that to your ability for the sake of the test).
  • Use a fortune point to help. If you use a fortune point to help someone you can help them even if you don't have the relevant skill, giving them a +2 on their relevant ability score. The helping person can do this after they've seen the result of your roll, so if they can see that you've barely missed your roll they can give you that extra boost after the fact provided they narrate how their character helps you.

After you've all rolled your checks (and helped others on their checks) I'll segue into a scene where your characters are all together, going over the events of recent days!

Oh, and instead of making a separate OOC thread, let's just use this one for OOC chatter and such. :)

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 15, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ratpick, since I made the roll, do I get to pick the King's name, or do you know what it is? Just let me know and I'll edit it in.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ratpick, since I made the roll, do I get to pick the King's name, or do you know what it is? Just let me know and I'll edit it in.

Good question: I've got the King's name figured out, but since the scenario pack states that success on the roll grants you the King's True Name it's probably not what I've got down in my notes: knowing how powerful True Names are, the King probably wouldn't have gone by his True Name in life. Having said that, since I haven't got a True Name established for the King, go right ahead and make one up!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sorry for killing all your parents, Jerald. :(

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ratpick posted:

I'm sorry for killing all your parents, Jerald. :(

I'm an RPG character. It happens.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Capfalcon posted:

I'm an RPG character. It happens.

Moreso in a JRPG

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

nah, if it was a JRPG, the entire village would have been wiped out.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Selachian posted:

nah, if it was a JRPG, the entire village would have been wiped out.

Please stop reading my campaign notes.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I've updated the game thread with a few prompts for possible leads and how you might approach investigating them. If there's a lead I didn't mention but you think is important, feel free to narrate it and make a test for an ability as appropriate.

In relation to that, since the PbP format is not particularly well-suited to a style of gameplay where the GM prompts all rolls, feel free to make tests without me specifically asking for them: not only will this keep the game going more quickly, when I don't prompt every single check from you it's more likely that you'll find a path towards unraveling the mystery I hadn't even thought about. Having said that, I've done some of your work for you and provided a few leads to act as starting points.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"King Osric", eh?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

"King Osric", eh?

Yeah. I decided to go with the idea that the ancient culture of your characters' region is modeled after Saxon culture, as opposed to the faux-German trappings of your characters' age, and Osric is a good Saxon name (e: Well, Anglo-Saxon, but I'm not that particular). Also, it doubles as a subtle nod to the fact that we're playing a retro-clone of sorts, so there's that too.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 17, 2015

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

We're, uh, we're not very good at this whole mystery thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Speak for yourself! I got this handled...or not.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Did I kill the game already

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Combat! Beyond the Wall doesn't have all that many options in combat, so to give you a bit more choice as to what to do beyond "I hit them with my sword," here are a couple of extra rules from Further Afield:

Stances

Basically, stances give you combat modifiers. You declare a stance on your turn and its effect lasts until the beginning of the next turn. They are:

Aggressive Stance - +2 to hit, -4 to AC
Defensive Stance- +2 to AC, -4 to hit
Protective Stance- +2 to AC but may not attack at all. Choose a nearby ally whom you are protecting: if they take a hit, you can choose to take the hit instead.
Commanding Stance- -6 to AC and may not attack at all, but on your turn you can make a Charisma test which, if successful, gives your allies +2 to hit for one round.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Just a quick heads up, today's post will come much later than usual. I've been cat-sitting for a friend of mine and after I got back home from looking after her cat I got caught up assembling my newly arrived Kings of War miniatures. Currently on my way to band practice, so I'll update the thread once I'm back home.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Ratpick posted:

Alright, I'll preface this with a bit of explanation: the two big lugs have a Wisdom of 10, so even if they made the check they have no way of exceeding Allie's roll of 12 (that's how opposed checks work by the way: both roll a normal check, if both succeed the one who rolled the highest breaks the tie in their favor) so they're not going to hear anything. However, the guy in the Green Sash has a Wisdom of 14, so if he rolls a 13 or a 14 he will hear Allie. In the case of a tie... well, I don't know, I'll figure something out.

So, I roll a d20 and compare it to my Dex+4 (if Stealth is involved) if I don't roll a twenty the higher the number the better I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

So, I roll a d20 and compare it to my Dex+4 (if Stealth is involved) if I don't roll a twenty the higher the number the better I do?

Yeah, exactly! In general the game only measures pass and fail so you really don't need to worry about rolling high outside of the context of opposed rolls. It's a sort of a blackjack mechanic, I've seen it in other games as well but not to any great extent, which is a shame because I think it's quite neat.

Also, in case you're wondering what Allie's +4 Stealth is good for with her already impressive 19 Dex, some test might have a higher difficulty, expressed as decreasing your relevant ability by two or four. So even in those circumstances Allie would still only fail one time out of twenty.

• Locked thread