Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
[OOC Thread Here.]

A long time ago, when these lands were still inhabited by fractious tribes lead by minor kings, a formidable warlord rose to prominence within one of the tribes: his father having divided his lands among his two sons, the two brothers ruled over vast swathes of land, both jealous of the other's lands. However, when the younger brother died without a heir under mysterious circumstances, his lands passed to his older brother. His dominion now nearly doubled in size, the young tribal king went on a series of campaigns, subjugating all the other tribes under his ruler and eventually declaring himself the Emperor of All Men. He ruled with an iron fist through the help of his twelve specifically chosen warlords, and his reign was one of terror. Upon his passing, however, the imperial title lay unclaimed, and thus the lands he had united under his rule were once again divided into many petty kingdoms, principalities and duchies.

But that was a long time ago, and neither here nor there. The village of Neuenburg stands at the frontier of the former Empire and memories of the dread emperor are so distant that they have become nothing but fables told to scare children. The people of Neuenburg lead a simple life hunting, fishing, farming and trading. Life is peaceful and the most excitement most villagers experience in their life is the visit of a wandering troupe of minstrels or the occasional visit from a taxman from the big city.

However, the peace of Neuenburg has been recently disturbed. You are not quite sure what it is, but there has been a feeling of dread hanging over you for the past few weeks. Something bad is about to happen, you are certain of it.

Hendrick: three weeks ago an old fortune teller, probably traveling to the big city, visited Neuenburg. As the villagers gathered around her to bug her to read their fortunes she spotted you in the crowd. The woman beckoned you to follow her inside your tent, and since you were with your friend Jacoby at the time you dragged him in with you (Why him?). After a short reading of your palm she said "This does not look good. This does not look good at all. I am afraid your future is marked by death." (Charisma test to wheedle some clue of your fortune.)

Jerald: last week a strange sickness struck the village and began to spread fast, seemingly the very same illness that took your mother years ago. Worst of all, your father Adam was also struck by the illness. As he lay in bed, feverish and barely comprehensible, he muttered something strange: "No... they already took your mother... Jerald, please don't let them take me too..." Your friend Hendrick was there by his bedside as well to offer him comfort and divine the nature of his illness. (Intelligence test to identify the sickness.)

Jacoby: the past couple of days you have received strange dreams and portents (How do these portents appear to you?) from the spirits. They seem to speak to you of a king who has returned. The last time you received one of these visions, your friend Alissandra was there with you. (Intelligence test to divine the name of the king from your portents.)

Alissandra: last night when you were out and about with your friend Victor (What were you two doing out in the middle of the night?) you spotted Salacia Middlesworth pacing furiously in front of her cabin. She was seemingly distraught and talking to herself, muttering "That old fool, what does he think he can do? He's going to get himself killed..." before she noticed you standing there. "Oh, hello child. What, pray tell, might you be doing out at this hour?" (Charisma test to convince her to tell you what's going on.)

Victor: last week, before the town was taken by the strange illness, you and Jerald were wandering around on the old barrow mounds North of town (What on earth were you two doing out in that accursed place?!) when suddenly the ground gave way under your feet and you found yourself falling into a concealed hole, leading into a hidden passageway into one of the mounds. (Dexterity test to avoid getting hurt!)

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jerald

I noticed my father was slowing down well before he did. I just thought he was overworking himself to make up for my perceived mistakes, but after he started to sleep in, I had the niggling fear that something was really wrong. When he didn't get up one morning, I already knew that he caught what mom had.

For the next few days, I tried to keep the inn running by myself, but when word of the sickness spread, travlers started to avoid the town, and the inn emptied. Victor was the only person who was brave enough to come and give me a hand.

Now, back when mom was sick, I'd done some investigation into the disease, back when my mother was sick. Most of it involved bothering the witch and trying to piece together her cryptic hints and references, but I did spend a some of my free time pestering merchants who might have heard something that could have helped.

While I was mopping his sweating brow, I racked my brain, trying to figure out something useful.

Int check to figure out the disease: 1d20 13
Lost my coinflip, alas

But, it's still beyond me.

quote:

Name: Jerald Krueger, the Reformed Bully
Level 1 Fighter

STR: 17 (+2)
DEX: 9 (+0)
CON 17 (+2)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 10 (+0)
CHA: 10 (+0)

Skills:
Stealth
Intimidation

Equipment:
Spear: +4 to hit, 1d6+4 damage
Knife
Peasant's clothing
Rope
Solid blackjack
Flask of mead
Horn
10 silvers

Knacks:
Defensive Fighter (+1 AC)

Base Attack Bonus: +1
Armor Class: 11
Hit points: 12

Poison Save: 14
Breath Weapon Save: 17
Polymorph Save: 15
Spell Save: 17
Magic Item Save: 16

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Victor

A group of traders passing through town had left their horses with Erik to be shod. With all the work the smith had to do, he hadn't noticed that one of them had slipped its traces and was fleeing the town -- until the sound of its hoofbeats crossing the bridge caught his attention. Now the smith is at wit's end: how will he possibly pay for a new horse?

Victor was only too happy to go look for the beast. It would get him out of an afternoon's work, and going into those barrow-mounds would be good for an adventure, or at least something that would sound like an adventure. Still, better to bring Jerald along just in case there was something really dangerous lurking there.

The afternoon has been a waste so far, though. No sign of the horse, and nothing adventurous. Just a bunch of old grassy lumps. Irritated, Victor kicks at a stone, and abruptly the ground gives way.

Dexterity test: 1d20 16

Victor lands hard, feeling pain shoot through his body.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jacoby

For the past week or so, I've been kind of moving in to Zabitha's hut, since (as the village's new witch) people keep coming to me with problems or asking for help. My parents still aren't sure how they feel about all this, but they're trying to be understanding about the whole thing.

Anyway, over the last couple of nights I've been having odd dreams, of what Zabitha used to refer to as the "something trying to tell you somebody" type. The sense of something trying to speak to you, but that something doesn't communicate the same way you do. Odd symbolism that feels like it should line up to something obvious, but you just can't put your finger on the tip of its tongue. All I could gather was that it had something to do with a king? I think?

On top of that, during the day the spirits in Greenbeard Forest have been oddly quiet.

It came to a head two days ago when Alissandra was visiting. She was stopping by to give me a "moving in" gift (wait, hold on, does she like me? No, stop, focus.) when I was suddenly hit by the spirits all shouting in my head. Well, that's what it was to me; to Alissandra, I suddenly started screaming "THE KING IS RETURNING" in a bunch of different voices and passed out.

quote:

Yelling in tongues correctly: 1d20 2; I rolled twice because the first time I was adding my mod instead of just doing the flat roll, and I wanted to be fair. I would have made it on the die on either roll. Sorry!

I woke up on the floor a moment later, with Ali looking down at me in (understandable) near-panic, and I managed to blurt out "LORD MAGNUS!" before passing out again.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 15, 2015

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hendrick

Hendrick eyes the fortune-teller suspiciously.

"Oh, it's death, is it? How imaginative. I suppose you'll be happy to tell me what kind of specific death is involved as soon as I pay you a couple of silvers, is that right?"

"How about you just tell me right now, instead?"

He pats the somewhat reluctant Jacoby on the shoulder.

"Oh, and before you reply, I'll have you know that my good friend Jacoby here is practically a wizard himself. He'll know if you're lying to me. So, how's it going to be?"

1d20 = 16. drat.

"Out! GET OUT!"
The old woman shoves Hendrick towards the entrance of the tent, glaring angrily at the two youths.

Taken by surprise by the sudden reaction of the fortune-teller, Hendrick grabs Jacoby by the arm and pulls him out of the tent.

quote:

Hendrick, the Young Woodsman

Class: Rogue
Level: 1
Alignment: Neutral

STR 13 (+1)
CON 9 (+0)
DEX 15 (+1)
INT 11 (+0)
WIS 13 (+1)
CHA 11 (+0)

Skills
Athletics
Stealth
Woodworking
Tracking
Survival

Equipment
Magic Sword (assuming this is a normal +1 sword)
Knife
Practical clothing
Leathers (+2 AC)
Heavy cloak
Flint and tinder
Waterskin
Shortbow, 20 arrows
11 silvers (roll)

BAB: +0
Initiative: +4
AC: 13 (10+1+2)
HP: 8

Poison: 13
Breath Weapon: 16
Polymorph: 12
Spell Save: 15
Magic Item Save: 14

Magic Sword
+2 to hit, 1d8+2 dmg

Shortbow
+1 to hit, 1d6 dmg

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Allisandra

"I was out for a stroll..."

"Doubtful."

"Victor, I'll have you know that I was never intending to get into any kind of trouble tonight."

"Never stopped you before."

"Hush. Anyway, I was out for a stroll and found myself over here Granny. What's wrong and who's the 'Old Fool'?"

Asking nicely: 1d20 4

quote:

Allie
Statistics
STR: 9 [0]
DEX: 19 [+3]
CON: 8 [-1]
INT: 10 [0]
WIS: 9 [0]
CHA: 14 [+1]

Level 1 Rogue. NEUTRAL
Class abilities:
Fortune’s Favor
Highly Skilled

Skills:
Stealth [+2]
Deceit
Haggling
Lockpicking

BAB: +0/+3 Ranged
Initiative: +5
AC: 13 (10+3)
HP: 7
Fortune Points: 5

Poison: 13
Breath Weapon: 16
Polymorph: 12
Spell Save: 15
Magic Item Save: 14

several daggers, dark clothing, a light-weight sack, a 10’ coil of rope, a fine set of lockpicks, 13 silvers.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, I'll do these in chronological order!

Three Weeks Ago:

Comrade Koba posted:

Hendrick

Hendrick eyes the fortune-teller suspiciously.

"Oh, it's death, is it? How imaginative. I suppose you'll be happy to tell me what kind of specific death is involved as soon as I pay you a couple of silvers, is that right?"

"How about you just tell me right now, instead?"

He pats the somewhat reluctant Jacoby on the shoulder.

"Oh, and before you reply, I'll have you know that my good friend Jacoby here is practically a wizard himself. He'll know if you're lying to me. So, how's it going to be?"

1d20 = 16. drat.

"Out! GET OUT!"
The old woman shoves Hendrick towards the entrance of the tent, glaring angrily at the two youths.

Taken by surprise by the sudden reaction of the fortune-teller, Hendrick grabs Jacoby by the arm and pulls him out of the tent.
Hendrick, you're not sure if the old fortune teller was actually some kind of a witch who put a hex on you or whether you're just feeling fearful because of her omen, but you feel a great evil shadow over you. You start the game with one less Fortune Point.

One Week Ago:

Selachian posted:

Victor

A group of traders passing through town had left their horses with Erik to be shod. With all the work the smith had to do, he hadn't noticed that one of them had slipped its traces and was fleeing the town -- until the sound of its hoofbeats crossing the bridge caught his attention. Now the smith is at wit's end: how will he possibly pay for a new horse?

Victor was only too happy to go look for the beast. It would get him out of an afternoon's work, and going into those barrow-mounds would be good for an adventure, or at least something that would sound like an adventure. Still, better to bring Jerald along just in case there was something really dangerous lurking there.

The afternoon has been a waste so far, though. No sign of the horse, and nothing adventurous. Just a bunch of old grassy lumps. Irritated, Victor kicks at a stone, and abruptly the ground gives way.

Dexterity test: 1d20 16

Victor lands hard, feeling pain shoot through his body.

Once you came to, you found yourself inside one of the many barrows. It was very dark and only a little sunlight flooded into the barrow, but it seemed like a barrow decorated for a king. However, you didn't stay long: the place was really creepy and you were aching all over from your uncontrolled fall. You start the game with only half your Hit Points (round up). On the other hand, eventually you and Jerald found the horse.

Two Days Ago:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Jacoby

For the past week or so, I've been kind of moving in to Zabitha's hut, since (as the village's new witch) people keep coming to me with problems or asking for help. My parents still aren't sure how they feel about all this, but they're trying to be understanding about the whole thing.

Anyway, over the last couple of nights I've been having odd dreams, of what Zabitha used to refer to as the "something trying to tell you somebody" type. The sense of something trying to speak to you, but that something doesn't communicate the same way you do. Odd symbolism that feels like it should line up to something obvious, but you just can't put your finger on the tip of its tongue. All I could gather was that it had something to do with a king? I think?

On top of that, during the day the spirits in Greenbeard Forest have been oddly quiet.

It came to a head two days ago when Alissandra was visiting. She was stopping by to give me a "moving in" gift (wait, hold on, does she like me? No, stop, focus.) when I was suddenly hit by the spirits all shouting in my head. Well, that's what it was to me; to Alissandra, I suddenly started screaming "THE KING IS RETURNING" in a bunch of different voices and passed out.

I woke up on the floor a moment later, with Ali looking down at me in (understandable) near-panic, and I managed to blurt out "LORD MAGNUS!" before passing out again.

After you came to the vision was clear to you, the name "Lord Magnus" burnt into your head, some ancient king returning. That was strange though: there was no local king in the records by the name of Lord Magnus. Could it be that you had discovered their True Name? (By the way, what does Jacoby know about true names?)

Last Night:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Allisandra

"I was out for a stroll..."

"Doubtful."

"Victor, I'll have you know that I was never intending to get into any kind of trouble tonight."

"Never stopped you before."

"Hush. Anyway, I was out for a stroll and found myself over here Granny. What's wrong and who's the 'Old Fool'?"

Asking nicely: 1d20 4

"That Rolf. He's gone off to the barrows. Says he knows what's going on and that he can stop it. He's not a sprightly young warrior any more, he's going to get himself killed."

That's all that Salacia has time to tell you when you suddenly hear a horrible scream coming from towards the town center.

Capfalcon posted:

Jerald

I noticed my father was slowing down well before he did. I just thought he was overworking himself to make up for my perceived mistakes, but after he started to sleep in, I had the niggling fear that something was really wrong. When he didn't get up one morning, I already knew that he caught what mom had.

For the next few days, I tried to keep the inn running by myself, but when word of the sickness spread, travlers started to avoid the town, and the inn emptied. Victor was the only person who was brave enough to come and give me a hand.

Now, back when mom was sick, I'd done some investigation into the disease, back when my mother was sick. Most of it involved bothering the witch and trying to piece together her cryptic hints and references, but I did spend a some of my free time pestering merchants who might have heard something that could have helped.

While I was mopping his sweating brow, I racked my brain, trying to figure out something useful.

Int check to figure out the disease: 1d20 13
Lost my coinflip, alas

But, it's still beyond me.

Throughout the week pretty much everyone in the village with any knowledge of disease visited you. None of them were able to help you: Salacia said that it was clearly the same disease that took your mother many years ago, but that she hadn't discovered a cure for the disease then and was no closer to finding a cure now. It was as if the disease did not even exist in modern books on medicine and treatment.

Last night you sat at your father's bedside, mopping the sweat off his brow, as he slept, muttering in his sleep. However, the many nights spent looking after him had taken a toll on you, and you eventually fell asleep. When you came to, your father was awake. He still looked weak, but at least there was a clear purpose in his eyes and he was no longer mumbling incomprehensibly.

"Jerald," he said gripping your arm. "I'm quite certain I won't live through the night. You're my only child, so you'll have to take care of the inn for me. You think you can do that?"

Without even stopping to regard your answer, your father goes on. "I know I haven't been quite the father I could've been. Things haven't been the same since we lost your mother. You remind me so much of her: you're so strong, even in the face of adversity. Do you remember, even as she lay on her deathbed she kept a smile on her face."

"Remember son: no matter what, we, your mother and I, we will always be proud of you." Those were his last words to you before he seemed to pass to sleep once again. He never woke up again.

And after that you also heard the scream.

The Weeping Widow, Last Night:

The whole town had been seemingly woken up by the terrible scream, coming from the town square. As you made your way there, you found a bizarre sight: the ghost of a weeping woman at the Weeping Widow.

The ghost was a woman garbed in the traditional tribal attire of your people in a time long past. However, she also wore a diadem, suggesting nobility, and in between crying she spoke in an archaic dialect of your language: between the cries you could only discern the words "Where are you, my love?" for certain.

What's even stranger is that she seemed to see you just as well as you could see her. She was seemingly pinned to the location of the Weeping Widow, not being able to move far from it, but seemingly pleading at the crowds gathered around her for help. Did any of you try to talk to her?

Today, the Water Horse Inn.

Jerald, news of your father's passing have traveled through the village like wildfire. Everyone from the village has seemingly gathered at the Water Horse, not only to express their sorrow at his passing, but also to help you with the necessary arrangements: tonight you are to arrange a wake for him, an old tradition where the body of the deceased is watched over through the night, marked by revelry. It is believed that the noises caused by the revelry and joy of the living is required in order to send the dead on their way to the world beyond.

Literally the entire village is there: understanding that you might not be feeling up to it in light of your father's passing, they are helping you around at the inn, scrubbing the floors, rearranging the furniture, making sure that the place is in order for the wake tonight. The only one conspicuously absent is the old Captain Rolf.

Joan suddenly emerges from the crowd. The look on her face is one of sadness. "I am really sorry for your father, Jerald." She places her hand on yours. "My father asked me to tell you that you can take as long as you like getting matters sorted out before you return to work at the forge. That is, if you return. You've got the whole Inn to yourself now. In the meantime, if you need any help around the Inn, don't be afraid to ask. We're all here for you."

Eventually, between all the work, you found your friends, Allie, Jacoby, Victor and Hendrick sitting around a table, and decided to join them. There was a lot to talk about, surely.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hendrick

"Jerald! Come, sit with us."

Hendrick gestures at an empty chair.

"We were just talking about...well, about what happened."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Allie

"Is there anything you need?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jerald

Before my father passes, I tell him, "Of course, Dad. I'll keep the place running. I promise."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the cry disturbs me from my mourning, I join the quickly growing crowd watching the ghostly woman. Looking back on it, I must have been out of my gourd at the time, but I couldn't help myself. She looked just as distraught as I felt. So, I stepped out of the crowd a bit and called out to her, asking, "What's wrong? Who are you looking for?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the morning passed by in a daze. I go where people tell me, do what they need, and before I know it, the wake is ready. My eyes are long dry, but the redness around them makes no secret that I spent most of the night crying. But, I've pulled myself together for this. It's what Dad would have wanted.

When Joan talks to me, I smile, ever so slightly. She's always so thoughtful and kind. I gently squeeze Joan's hand and say, "Thanks. That... that means a lot. I'll let someone know if I'm over my head."

After she leaves, I go back to sitting by myself. I know that I should be trying to celebrate, but I can't really seem to get in the spirit of the evening. When Hendrick calls me over, I go and sit with them, hoping that maybe I'll feel a bit better if I spend time with my friends. Even if Jacoby's been (understandably) skeptical of my attempts to make amends. In response to Allie's question, I shrug and look away as I say, "I dunno. Not a lot to do around here right now, and there's plenty in the larder. I guess I've got everything I need right now."

I really don't want to continue down this track of conversation, so I try and go back to Hendrick's original topic, "So, ah, Victor, you feeling better? Sure was a nasty fall back in that weird barrow."

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

When the cry disturbs me from my mourning, I join the quickly growing crowd watching the ghostly woman. Looking back on it, I must have been out of my gourd at the time, but I couldn't help myself. She looked just as distraught as I felt. So, I stepped out of the crowd a bit and called out to her, asking, "What's wrong? Who are you looking for?"

The crying specter regarded you with a puzzled look at first, but she still addressed you, her voice wavering and quivering. "Who are you? One of my husband's soldiers? Please, where is he? He said he would meet me here on the first day of Winter! How did the campaign go? Is my husband still alright?!"

She spoke in such fragments, no mention of names, nothing, seemingly unaware of her state. None of it made sense to you. Did you try to get more information out of her? Test Charisma if you did.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jacoby

"Uh, Jerald. If you, uh...need someone to talk to about what you saw last night, just, just let me know, okay?"

Jacoby wasn't in town when the ghost appeared, but someone ran to get him. Unfortunately, Jacoby only got there in time to see the ghost fade.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jerald

I frown at the confused spirit, but I say, "Um. Why don't you tell me where I can find him, and I'll go see what I can find?"

A bit of sense returns to me, and I'm starting to think this was a very bad idea...

Charisma: 1d20 18
I'm not doing very well with my coin flips...

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

Jerald

I frown at the confused spirit, but I say, "Um. Why don't you tell me where I can find him, and I'll go see what I can find?"

A bit of sense returns to me, and I'm starting to think this was a very bad idea...

Charisma: 1d20 18
I'm not doing very well with my coin flips...

Her expression turned steely as you spoke to her. "No! You are not one of my husband's men! What have you done with him?!"

It happened too quickly for you to react, but thankfully you had kept your distance from her: her face suddenly took a grotesque appearance, her features perversely distorted, as she lunged towards you. However, whatever curse was keeping her bound to the Weeping Widow must have prevented her from reaching you: she stopped, mid-lunge, mere inches away from your face, and she let out a terrible cry, enough to chill your blood. You started something fierce, but in an instant she was gone, the only thing left of her attempted assault a sudden chill hanging above the village square. There was frost on the ground surrounding the standing stone, a peculiar sight in the middle of July.

After the spirit dissipated the villagers made their way back to their homes, all clearly distraught at what they had just witnessed.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jerald

I relay the details of the encounter to Jacoby, shuddering when I mention the specter's twisted features at the end.

I shake my head, adding, "Don't know what I was thinking. I'm lucky something was holding the spirit to that stone, or... well..."

I trail off, implication clear, but I'm unwilling to verbalize it. Too much death has been going around the town.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

As you talk to each other it seems that each of you is holding a piece of a puzzle to which half of the pieces are missing or have already been accidentally swallowed by younger siblings. The spirits speak of the return of a king. The same strange disease that ravaged the town many years ago has crept back into the village. And to top it all off, the furious specter of a noble woman of ancient bearing has appeared at the Weeping Widow.

Who the hell is the king? The only lead you have to go on is his True Name, Lord Magnus, and even then the chances of finding a record of a king by that name alone are slim at best. Might someone in town have access to ancient records or might there be some clue in the folk tales recited to children? (Test Intelligence, skills related to folklore and ancient history might help! If you want to ask one of the adults who might know a thing or too, tell me whom and test Charisma!)

Where did this disease come from? Your memories of events from the last time it struck your village are hazy at best. You recall that the adults of the village spent many nights in secret meetings at the Inn. Did you, perchance, try to eavesdrop on their meetings back in those days? (Test Wisdom, skills related to larceny and doing what people don't want you to do might help!) Jacoby recalls that during that very episode Zabitha was away on unannounced business for an entire week. Maybe her hut hides some clues as to what she was doing back then? (Test Intelligence or Wisdom, skills related to perception and lore might help!). Maybe asking one of the adults might reveal a clue as to what actually happened in those days! (Test Charisma, depending on how you ask them skills related to intimidation or deceit might help.)

And finally, then there's the frightful spirit. No one really knows the history behind the Weeping Widow, and the introduction of an actual ghostly weeping widow only deepens the mystery. The best bet you have is folktales, historical records and just plain asking people. (Test Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma, as appropriate!)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Allie

Allie racks her memories of when she snuck into the inn during the meetings.

Sneaking....: 1d20 7

Accurately Remembering...: 1d20 16 (...oops...)

"Well, I seem to remember they were talking about rabid weasels the last time something like this happened. Captain Rolf was the one talking about it I'm sure! Too bad he's headed into the barrows or we could ask him."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jacoby

"I could take a look around my...around Zabitha's hut and see if she had something written down. She wasn't exactly...organized, though."

Jacoby blinks, then turns to Allie. "Wait, he's going into the barrow?"

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hendrick

"About that ghost...I've been thinking."

He leans closer to the others.

"There's this old story one of the fishermen told me when I was little, see. I only recalled it this morning. It had the restless ghost of a woman in it..."

He leans back again, furrowing his brow.

"Now, what was the rest of it about...let me think..."

Wisdom check, 1d20 = 20

"Hmm...there was something about a talking badger, I think...no, wait, that's not it. Was it the one with the princess riding a dragon? I don't..."

He sighs, shrugging.

"Sorry. Guess it was just too long ago for me to remember."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jacoby

"Hendrick, what have I told you about listening to Carl Thumbs' stories?"

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Allie

Allie racks her memories of when she snuck into the inn during the meetings.

Sneaking....: 1d20 7

Accurately Remembering...: 1d20 16 (...oops...)

"Well, I seem to remember they were talking about rabid weasels the last time something like this happened. Captain Rolf was the one talking about it I'm sure! Too bad he's headed into the barrows or we could ask him."

I'm going to give you the success here: sorry if I was unclear, but the idea was to make a single test against Wisdom, with stealth and other relevant skills helping. In this case we're measuring how good a listen Allie got back when she secretly snuck to eavesdrop upon the adults' discussion.

Allie's memory is hazy at best: what she mostly remembers is the adults all shouting at each other, interspersed with cries of "Down with this sort of thing!" and "What about the children?!" but one memory is clear in her head: at one point during the meeting Zabitha, who had thus far been completely silent, stood up.

"Now listen you bunch of squabbling eedjits!" she said in a voice that suddenly made all the adults in the room silent. The only thing heard was a single cry of "Careful now!" which was immediately silenced by a fiery glance from Zabitha.

"We don't know what has caused king Osric to awaken from his sleep prematurely, but I have my suspicions. What I need all of you to do is shut up, tend to the sick in the village, and let me sort this out! As the seemingly only stable-minded person in town I shall go and consult with Osric as to what our village has done to raise his ire, and will make sure the daft dead fool goes back to being dead! And in case he fails to return to rest quietly... well," she said, cracking her knuckles, "I've got a few tricks up my sleeve to coerce him should it come to that."

That was all you could heard before you were caught by your father, who had had a sneaking suspicion that you were up to no good, and he proceeded to drag you home by your ear, telling you to stay out of grown-up business.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Victor

Victor listens to Allie's story with a wrinkled brow. Hendrick's words have reminded him of something his parents used to say about the Weeping Widow. Now what was it...?

Intelligence test: 1d20 19

It's no use. The pain in his shoulder is distracting him too much. Petulantly, he slaps a hand on the tabletop. "So your witch knows something, Jacoby? Let's go find her!"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jerald

I groan and say, "I don't think talking about half remembered conversations is getting us anywhere." I look around and try to see a partygoer who might be prone to my old brand of conversation. Spotting a Don't go anywhere, I'll be right back." I spot the mayor's wife, Mara. She's a known gossip and always been a bit of a soft touch.

I pull her to one side and say, "My friends and I have been talking. We all know that the adults are trying to keep what's going on from us, but with the sickness, the wailing spirit last night, and the barrows opening up again, we've think we deserve to know what's going on. I mean, I'm practically an adult already. Don't you think I deserve to know what's going on? Especially with how much these secrets have taken from me?"

Came out a little harsher than I meant, but... I'm not wrong.

Bully an adult into telling me what happened: 1d20-2 11

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jacoby

"She's not my witch, Vic. She's her own witch and she's been missing for weeks, remember? But she might have something written down somewhere."

"Anyway, I'm the witch around here now," he says in what he hopes is a confident and brave manner. "This kind of thing with ghosts and stuff is my responsibility."

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

Jerald

I groan and say, "I don't think talking about half remembered conversations is getting us anywhere." I look around and try to see a partygoer who might be prone to my old brand of conversation. Spotting a Don't go anywhere, I'll be right back." I spot the mayor's wife, Mara. She's a known gossip and always been a bit of a soft touch.

I pull her to one side and say, "My friends and I have been talking. We all know that the adults are trying to keep what's going on from us, but with the sickness, the wailing spirit last night, and the barrows opening up again, we've think we deserve to know what's going on. I mean, I'm practically an adult already. Don't you think I deserve to know what's going on? Especially with how much these secrets have taken from me?"

Came out a little harsher than I meant, but... I'm not wrong.

Bully an adult into telling me what happened: 1d20-2 11

You barely missed that roll, so I'm going to give you a success at cost type of deal.

"You need to work on your attitude, young man. But you're right, in light of recent events, you deserve the truth."

"Many years ago someone disturbed the tomb of king Osric, an ancient king who used to rule over these lands. This not only brought back Osric from his slumber, but it also caused the plague that took your mother's life. We never found out who it was that opened the crypt and to what purpose, and Zabitha volunteered to set things straight with Osric. She was away for almost a week doing who knows what, and when she returned the plague had passed. Unfortunately, it came too late for your mother, who had already succumbed."

"That's all I know. Zabitha never spoke of what actually happened when she was away, she just said that 'It's done, that's what's important.'"

As you said, Mara is the town gossip, yet well-regarded by the villagers. As word of the tone you took with her spreads around town, any further Charisma tests are at -2 for you.

It's already starting to get dark when suddenly a sudden noise breaks the revelry at the inn. It is the sound of the alarm (a simple bell at the makeshift battlements that surround the town) ringing. As the party-goers look around in panic one of the militiamen appears at the door yelling "We are under attack! They're coming in through the North gate!"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Allie

"Attack!?! Who would attack here?" she jumped from her seat and headed towards the door. Her goal was the roof of the inn. From there she could get a better view of the town. Allie nimbly climbed the wall (Dex): 1d20 17 finding hand and footholds in the rough siding. A piece of board snapped free, but she ably recovered and continued her ascent.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jerald

I'm about to tell Jacoby about how the witch took care of things last time when the bell. Instinct kicks in. I've drilled this for endless Saturdays. Snatching up my spear from its resting place in the closet, I rush out the door towards the gate, not waiting for anyone else. I wouldn't admit it, but this is sort of a relief. I can focus on something other than everyone else feeling bad for me.

And, well, maybe I just needed to hit something. I haven't done that in a while, after all.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jacoby

Jacoby quickly stands up, his bravado clearly shaken a bit. He runs outside (stopping only to grab his witch's hat off the peg by the door and jam it on his head) to see what's happening.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Allie, from your vantage point up on the roof you can easily see what's going on: the North gate still stands, but the few militiamen left on the battlements are either severely wounded or demoralized. As you try to discern who is attacking you, suddenly a bony hand reaches the top of the palisade and pulls itself across. There, standing clear as day, is a skeleton, animated by some dark purpose.

The skeleton is immediately followed by another five climbing to the top of the palisade, and the skeletons immediately start climbing down from the battlements, ignoring the wounded and cowering soldiers around them. They seem to be headed towards the center of the town.

The others, as you get out of the Inn and round the corner, you can see the half dozen skeletal warriors, each grasping swords, battleaxes, and maces in their other hand, with banded shields of half-rotten wood in the other. They are still too far to engage, but they seem to be headed towards you with evil purpose.

Post your actions for the first two rounds of combat, your initiative order is Allie, Hendrick, Victor, Jerald and Jacoby tied on the same initiative, and the skeletons going last (they're not particularly speedy). The first two rounds because, as I said, the skeletons are not in range to be engaged yet, and this'll speed things up a bit. Characters with ranged weapons can make attacks, characters with no ranged weapons will have to move first and then attack, if they wish.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 19, 2015

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hendrick

Hendrick quickly snatches an arrow from the quiver at his belt, pulls back the string of his bow and takes aim at the closest skeleton. He releases the string and the arrow rushes through the air.

Attack roll, 1d20+2 = 11

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Allie

Running across the roof top, she dropped down on to the stable extension and from there to the ground; grabbing a coil of harness rope as she passed the hitch rail. Staying behind buildings, she sprinted to Old Stefan's house which was halfway between the inn and the gate and on the undead things' line of advance, Scrambling to the roof of the porch, she began tying a running noose in the end of the rope.

((Both actions for movement))

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jacoby

"Oh...dear." Despite Zabitha's teachings and advice, Jacoby still wasn't comfortable swearing in general, let along swearing like a witch. Still, he tries to keep himself under control; being the village witch did mean laying out the dead and that didn't bother him, but seeing the skeletons moving around was a different story.

Jacoby's eyes unfocus, and he pulls a small wooden totem out of the pouches hanging from his belt. He mutters something while rubbing the totem, and green vines and branches erupt from the ground at the skeletons' feet.

quote:

Casting Entanglement as my first action to slow down the skeletons.
Range: Near
Duration: 10 rounds
Save: yes
At the behest of the mage, all the plants within near range twist and reach out to grab and hold any creatures, save the mage himself, that enter their range. A successful saving throw will allow a slow escape, but at no more than 10 feet per round.

Jacoby then closes his eyes, opens his eyes, and opens his eyes again.

quote:

Second action is casting the Second Sight cantrip. Using this cantrip allows the caster to see spirits of all sorts: the dead, faeries, and demons of all stripes. This cantrip only grants the caster the ability to perceive these spirits; if she wishes to converse with them, she must know their language.
Cantrippin': 1d20 17; it still happens, but either I lose all my magic and the Entanglement ends, or the GM gets to have something bad happen to me. I don't want the Entanglement to end, so have at it, Ratpick.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jerald

Charging the nearest skeleton, Jerald tries to stay out of the tangling vines while jabbing with the reach of his spear.

Attack, damage: 1d20+4 20 1d6+4 5

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

Hendrick

Hendrick quickly snatches an arrow from the quiver at his belt, pulls back the string of his bow and takes aim at the closest skeleton. He releases the string and the arrow rushes through the air.

Attack roll, 1d20+2 = 11

Go ahead and make your second action as well. Since the skeletons started too far away for anyone to engage in melee on the first round, I had everyone do two turns' worth of actions at once. Although I can tell you that attack was a miss. You should probably roll damage together with your attack so you don't have to wait for me to confirm your attacks as hits before rolling for damage.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also the Entanglement won't go off until after everyone else's first actions because of the initiative order.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hendrick

Swearing quietly under his breath as the first arrow goes wide, Hendrick quickly pulls another one from his belt and lets it fly towards the skeleton.

Attack roll, 1d20+1 = 18. Damage 1d6 = 2

OOC: I made a mistake on my first attack roll and added +2 instead of +1. Just thought I'd mention it.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

No idea where Victor's player is, so I'll assume Victor's lurking somewhere in the sidelines.

Hendrick lets fly an arrow that ricochets off one of the skeletons' shield. The rest of the party starts vying for position as Jacoby casts a spell: suddenly vines erupt from the ground, tying up all but one of the skeletons. ( Save Vs. Entanglement: 5#1d20 12 9 5 18 4 and Save Vs. Entanglement: 1d20 2). As the other five skeletons struggle against the vines, trying their best to escape, Hendrick lets another arrow fly at the unentangled skeleton, striking it straight where its left eye used to be. The force of the arrow is enough to shatter the skeleton's skull on impact. (Hit Points: 1d8 1)

Jerald charges in, keeping in mind to stay clear of the skeletons and using the reach of his spear to his advantage, and strikes one of the skeletons with terrifying force, shattering its shield. However, the skeleton seems to still be up on its feet. (Hit Points: 1d8 7)

Jacoby, as you open your eyes, you find yourself standing in another place. Or to be more correct, you're still in the same place, except everything's taken a strange shade of grey and black. You can still see your friends, but they appear to you as ghosts, only mere pale transparent shadows of their true selves. The grass under your feet seems lifeless, and the sun itself seems to be offering no warmth, appearing only in the grey sky as a white globe, giving off cold light.

As far as the rest of you are concerned, Jacoby had a weird look in his eyes, closed them, and then disappeared.

Meanwhile, the skeletons continue struggling with the vines and two of them actually manage to hack off the vines entangling them! ( Save Vs. Entanglement: 5#1d20 20 7 12 16 20) The one Jerald struck with his spear, while still struggling against the vines, clears the distance between them and swings his ancient sword at him, just catching Jerald. (Attack: 1d20+1 11) (Damage: 1d8 5) The skeleton manages to cut quite deeply into Jerald's arm with its sword.

What do you do?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Allie

Allie attempts to drop the noose around the closest of the skeletons that has just cut their way free, and begins to haul upward to slow its charge.
Dropping the noose: 1d20 17

Weigh haul away: 1d20 5

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 20, 2015

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Victor

Victor hesitates in the doorway of the inn. He's already hurt -- surely he has a duty to take care of himself first, and no one will think worse of him if he's careful. But the sight of his friends sweeping into battle with the skeletons jars him into movement. Raising his axe, he rushes into the fight. But one of the skeletons turns its eerie, eyeless gaze on him, and his swing goes awry as he skids to a stop.

Attack vs. skeleton: 1d20+5 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jerald

Grunting in pain, I give a little ground to the skeleton, but I turn around and use my spear as a bat, crushing any bones in my path. I feel the warm blood dripping down my arm, but I pay it no heed for now.

Attack, damage: 1d20+4 7 1d6+4 10
Attack with fortune point: 1d20+4 21

• Locked thread