Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which bad GM will have the funniest draft
Fire Bergevin
Fire Garth (RIP Garth)
Fire Holland
Fire Chiarelli
Fire Benning
View Results

• Locked thread
stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Burn it all down jesus loving christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I can see another McCarron pick. Oversized American that would still easily be available in the second round.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Congratulations to the Senators

https://twitter.com/TSNSteveLloyd/status/1003638322739236864

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Always a good read

The time the Canucks revealed their 2010 draft board: https://canucksarmy.com/2013/06/25/did-the-canucks-post-their-2010-draft-board/

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I 100% see Bergevin taking Tkachuk at 3OA.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

yellowcar posted:

Think of all that grit though!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

yellowcar posted:

I want to die

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think I heard that Montreal straight up told Zadina they weren't drafting him. People speculate they are desperate for a center and might be looking to draft Kotkaniemi at 3 if they couldn't trade down a bit.

Might all be pure bullshit though

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Levitate posted:

I think I heard that Montreal straight up told Zadina they weren't drafting him. People speculate they are desperate for a center and might be looking to draft Kotkaniemi at 3 if they couldn't trade down a bit.

Might all be pure bullshit though

Stop

Please stop

You're killing me

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I haven't heard that, but I also believe they're absolutely taking Kotkaniemi.
Bergevin has ruled out trading the 3OA, so the Habs are drafting 3rd, if they're moving picks it'll be playing with their 4 2nd rounders.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Drafting for need, always a good idea

:thunk:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dear HAS: It's not possible to draft a new GM, sorry.

(not sorry)

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iospace posted:

Dear HAS: It's not possible to draft a new GM, sorry.

(not sorry)

Bergevin is getting fired after the Habs fail to make the playoffs this season, or after they fail to make it next season following Carey's triumphant return to form this coming season followed by his triumphant return to tanking the next one.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think Kotkaniemi will be pretty good, he might even end up a #1C but yeah it seems crazy to pass up on a gamebreaker like Zadina.

This is what Pronman said about the two of them:

quote:

3. Filip Zadina, LW, Halifax-QMJHL

Nov. 27, 1999 | six-foot | 195 pounds

GP: 57 | Goals: 44 | Points: 82 | Shoots: Left

Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 55
Hockey sense: 55
Shot Grade: 60

Zadina has been a highly touted prospect for years. He had a great world juniors and was a top player in the QMJHL this season. On a tools level, he’s one of the most dynamic players in the draft. Zadina skates well, with a powerful stride that eats up ice efficiently. But his value comes from his skills and shot. He has near elite grade hands, which allows him to be quite elusive. He can create as a playmaker and tends to make good decisions moving the puck, but he’s known as a trigger man, with one of the better wrist shots in the draft class. What I love about Zadina is how multi-dimensional he is. He can attack defenses by dangling through guys, he can protect pucks and drive around guys, and he can power his ways past defenders or utilize an inch of space to score from long-distance. He is a highly competitive player who gets high marks for his character and competes his butt off to win puck battles on the ice. He’s the complete package offensively and a potential difference maker on any given shift.

Former Halifax coach Jim Midgley said: “He has a drive to score. He wants to score goals, he wants the puck, he wants to be a difference maker. I haven’t coached many guys who love to score as much as this guy does. He’s got tons of skill, a world-class shot, and with the way he competes, you put that combination together, you have a real good hockey player.”

4. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C, Assat-Liiga

July 6, 2000 | 6-foot-2 | 188 pounds

GP: 57 | Goals: 10 | Points: 29 | Shoots: Left

Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 55
Hockey sense: 60

Kotkaniemi has been a top-six forward for his league team in Finland all season and had a very solid U18 season relative to his historical peers in that league. He was also very good during international competition, albeit being a late cut from Finland’s World Junior Championship team. He played center for Finland and was a winger for his pro team, but he projects as a center. Kotkaniemi has a lot of desirable elements. He has very good hands that are high-end, if not flashing elite. He can make very skilled plays off an entry, but what impresses me is how well he can control the puck and keep plays alive. With his frame and skill, it’s very hard to strip him of possession. He is also a very smart playmaker. Kotkaniemi sees the ice very well and can be the primary guy to set up along the wall on a power play and move the puck around. He understands how to create chances and isn’t afraid to attempt difficult plays. He prefers to make plays, but when he does shoot, I’ve liked his finishing touch. His skating isn’t amazing, but when I’ve seen him, his speed looks fine but his stride is a bit awkward. Defensively he’ll need to improve, like every young player, but I think he’s reasonably fine in that area and has shown he can be relied on at evens as a 17-year-old versus men. He has the best shot of any prospect in this draft class to be a No. 1 center.

Finland’s U18 coach Tommi Niemela said: “He plays the game not like anybody else. He sees the game differently. He tries to make a play in every situation. He sees only upsides, and no downsides, and that’s why his game is sometimes a little bit risky. He’s very skilled.”

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Didn't Kotkaniemi say he was committed to staying in Finland next year? So even if the Habs draft for needs right now, they'd still be without a #1 centre lmao

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If they insist on drafting a C, why not trade down and pick Veleno?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

He might package Patch and some 2nd rounders to get another top ten pick.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Too bad Docker's first name isn't Richard.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks seem to be intent on moving the 7th overall for immediate help and I've totally given up. I've never been less excited for the draft or my hockey team in my entire life.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks seem to be intent on moving the 7th overall for immediate help and I've totally given up. I've never been less excited for the draft or my hockey team in my entire life.

Where are you hearing this? This would be outrageously moronic.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Where are you hearing this? This would be outrageously moronic.

None other than Elliot Friedman himself.

quote:

After that sixth pick, teams willing to move are Vancouver (at seven), Edmonton (at 10) and possibly the Islanders (11 and/or 12).

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-vegas-thinking-re-visiting-erik-karlsson-deal/

Its been mentioned in Canuck media circles for a few weeks now that the Canucks want an NHL defender or centre in an attempt to push the team back to respectability. It's expected they'll make a push for Hanifin and/or O'Reilly with the 7th pick being a key part going back. They're also expected to throw big money at Tavares to the tune of possibly league max as they are probably the only team who can pay that.

My team is garbage. Just garbage.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Bergevin's obsession for centres is beyond me :psyduck:

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

None other than Elliot Friedman himself.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-vegas-thinking-re-visiting-erik-karlsson-deal/

Its been mentioned in Canuck media circles for a few weeks now that the Canucks want an NHL defender or centre in an attempt to push the team back to respectability. It's expected they'll make a push for Hanifin and/or O'Reilly with the 7th pick being a key part going back. They're also expected to throw big money at Tavares to the tune of possibly league max as they are probably the only team who can pay that.

My team is garbage. Just garbage.

That is an odd report since it leaves out the Rangers, who are definitely going to try to trade up from 9.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Stiev Awt posted:

Bergevin's obsession for centres character, grit, attitude is beyond me :psyduck:

ftfy

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

That is an odd report since it leaves out the Rangers, who are definitely going to try to trade up from 9.

As I say every year, trading into the top 5 is constantly speculated on but never happens. It has not occurred since 2008 when the Leafs jumped from 7 to 5 to take Luke Schenn (:lol:)

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

What kind of a coach is DJ Smith?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

As I say every year, trading into the top 5 is constantly speculated on but never happens. It has not occurred since 2008 when the Leafs jumped from 7 to 5 to take Luke Schenn (:lol:)

I don't think the Rangers will trade into the top 5, but I think they could package 9 and one of their other late firsts and move maybe up to 6 or 7.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Stiev Awt posted:

Bergevin's obsession for centres is beyond me :psyduck:

The center cannot hold

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

If anything Bergevin has an obsession with Defenseman, which would explain why the Habs have Poehling and... that's about it for C-prospects.
I don't think the Habs view Kotkaniemi as a draft-for-need prospect, I think they view him as the solution to a long-term need. If the Habs were drafting for need pick no3 is going to Buffalo for Ryan O'Reilly+more

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

What kind of a coach is DJ Smith?

I would be more interested by what sick tunes he spins and wether his front man, MC Smith has good flow.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
If a long term deal for Trouba isn't on the table, maybe the Jets will look at trading him for a pick plus. The Jets don't have a 1st this year. Myers might be on the table too, but only if Trouba signs I would imagine.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Trading Trouba for a draft pick is a terrible idea

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I don’t think the rangers trade up 2-3 spots unless Zadina falls there and another team is desperate to take a defenseman who will be there at 9

In general at 9 there should be good players available but debatable whether it’s worth trading up to get one as they’re probably the same tier

Depends on what a team likes I guess

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Red Wings want Trouba badly.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Big Trouba in Little Caesar's

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

kalensc posted:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalensc posted:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

A blast from the past https://www.nhl.com/news/2008-nhl-redraft-stamkos-doughty-karlsson/c-299076486?tid=277764372

quote:

The Flyers reached out to the Predators with the hope of acquiring the No. 15 pick and selecting Karlsson. They offered forward R.J. Umberger, who scored 10 goals in 17 games during the 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs, but Nashville said no.

"We liked [Karlsson]," said Flyers president Paul Holmgren, then Philadelphia's GM. "Our guys, and a lot of teams, fell in love with him at the [World Under-18 Championship], where he had a great tournament."

The Flyers traded Umberger to the Blue Jackets for the No. 19 pick and selected defenseman Luca Sbisa, now a 10-year NHL veteran and member of the Vegas Golden Knights.

In retrospect, Polie should have taken the Umberger deal :sigh:

Luca Sbisa, ugh

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Luca Sbisa, ugh

That Sbisa pick got them to the finals because he had a hot first year which let him be the centrepiece in the Pronger trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Couple of thoughts from the draft info floating around:

Centers are being highly valued in the top 10 so far (maybe over valued). Zadina could be falling because of that, though probably not out of top 10 and probably not even out of the top 5ish, but centers and defensemen are big on teams wishlist right now.

If Tkachuk falls to #9 it's probably 100% the Rangers draft him there. Have heard some general rumors that they like him a lot and Quinn coached him...he seems to me to be a weirdly "safe" yet "risky" pick. He's probably a NHLer with his size and some physical game so he's likely safe to play, but there's a risk his talent doesn't pan out and you have a meh physical 3rd liner, or maybe it does pan out and you have a somewhat unique physical nasty player who can put up points and create space for his teammates. He's probably good value at #9 but it depends on who else might be available there...if for some reason Zadina fell and the Rangers took Tkachuk over him, I'd probably be pissed!

Lots of speculation that Montreal is big on Kotkaniemi and will pick him at 3 if they can't move down a bit. He's been a big riser so far and while it wouldn't be a terrible pick or anything, it's one of those situations where Zadina is probably the higher skilled guy, so maybe the Habs are picking for need there. Then again maybe they just like him.

Boqvist also seems to be a faller at this point despite being maybe the 2nd most skilled defenseman in the draft. Size, concussion history, and his statement that he thinks he's a few years away may be scaring teams off.

Kravtsov also has been garnering some top 5 interest according to MacKenzie. Not that he'll go there, but that some scouts rank him in that area. Veleno is another guy that's speculated to go in the top 10 because of the desire for centers.

Larry Brooks "speculated" the Rangers would be interested in Wahlstrom or Bouchard at 9. Hard to say whether he has info to that effect or is just spitballing.

Basically there should be a good player at 9 for the Rangers but with risers and fallers, it's tough to say for sure who it'll be. If Zadina started falling because teams are interested in centers and D, I think the Rangers should do everything in their power to draft him even if it's giving up one of their late 1sts to move up a few spots. They need talent.

Most frustrating scenario will be when Tkachuk and Zadina somehow fall past 5 and the Rangers have a chance to pick either and pick Tkachuk....

• Locked thread