Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which bad GM will have the funniest draft
Fire Bergevin
Fire Garth (RIP Garth)
Fire Holland
Fire Chiarelli
Fire Benning
View Results

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Live posting starts here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3856361&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post485351981
GDT rules in effect. Drinking is allowed/encouraged.

Picks!
1. Buffalo: Rasmus Dahlin
2. Carolina: Andrei Svechnikov
3. Montreal: Jesperi Kotkaniemi
4. Ottawa(?): Brady Tkachuk
5. Arizona: Barrett Hayton
6. Detroit: Filip Zadina
7. Vancouver: Quinn Hughes
8. Chicago: Adam Boqvist
9. NYR: Vitali Kravtsov
10. Edmonton: Evan Bouchard
11. NYI: Oliver Wahlstrom
12. NYI (orig. Calgary): Noah Dobson
13. Dallas: Ty Dellandrea
14. Philly (orig. St Louis): Joel Farabee
15. Florida: Grigori Denisenko
16. Colorado: Martin Kaut
17. New Jersey: Ty Smith
18. Columbus: Liam Foudy
19. Philadelphia: Jay O'Brien
20. Los Angeles: Rasmus Kupari
21. San Jose: Ryan Merkley
22. Ottawa NYR (orig. Pittsburgh): K'Andre Miller
23. Anaheim: Isac Lundestrom
24. Minnesota: Filip Johansson
25. Toronto St Louis: Dominik Bokk
26. NYR Ottawa (orig. Boston): Jacob Bernard-Docker
27. Chicago (orig. Nashville): Nicolas Beaudin
28. NYR (orig. Tampa): Nils Lundkvist
29. St Louis Toronto (orig. Winnipeg): Rasmus Sandin
30. Detroit (orig. Vegas): Joe Veleno
31. Washington: Alexander Alexeyev

Trades!

Washington gets: #47
Colorado gets: Philipp Grubauer, Brooks Orpik

Ottawa gets: #26, #48
NYR gets: #22

Toronto gets: #29, #76
St Louis gets: #25

Who What When Where Why How?

The 2018 NHL Draft is time time of year when all 31 NHL teams select babyfaced players to project their hopes and dreams on, only to watch them bust out in a few years. This year, the draft is held in Dallas, on June 22-23. I may actually go to this if I can scrounge up a ticket

Alright, so who's eligible for this shinding?

wikipedia posted:

Ice hockey players born between January 1, 1998, and September 15, 2000, are eligible for selection in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft. Additionally, un-drafted, non-North American players born in 1997 are eligible for the draft; and those players who were drafted in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft, but not signed by an NHL team and who were born after June 30, 1997, are also eligible to re-enter the draft.

Which (un)fortunate teams gets to draft these young men?

Congrats Buffalo, all the years of being absolutely dogshit have finally payed off with a #1 overall pick. Eichel-Middlestadt-Dahlin is a nice spine to build around for the future. Trust the Process , motherfuckers. But you should really find a goalie while you can. Starting Chad Johnson 30 times is uh, not good. Carolina is the big winner of the draft, jumping up nine spots to #2. Svechnikov is one hell of a runner-up prize and will score goals for a Carolina team that needs them. Too bad he can't play goalie however. They also don't have a GM cause the owner is a crazy person, which could be fun. Montreal will overdraft the first Quebecois sounding guy they can find. Congrats to Benoit-Oliver Groulx for being the #3 overall pick.

So who's #1?

The overwhelming favorite is

Rasmus Dahlin – 6'2", 189 lb, D, Frolunda (:sweden:) 41 GP, 7/13/20

Last Word on Sports posted:

Skating
The key to Rasmus Dahlin’s game begins with his outstanding skating. He has very good speed and outstanding acceleration in both directions. His skating is sublime and at times he seems to be floating above the ice. Dahlin has outstanding pivots, agility, and edge work. This allows him to cover all areas of the ice, and transition quickly from offence to defence. Dahlin is strong on the puck, but should get even stronger, and continue to improve his balance as he adds muscle.

Offensive Game
Dahlin is an elite offensive defenceman, who has been playing above his age group for quite some time, both at the international and club level. Dahlin’s passing ability is outstanding, with extremely good vision and the ability to thread the needle through the smallest openings. He can start the rush, make the long breakaway pass, and quarterback the power-play. He also has an outstanding slap shot and one-timer. Dahlin moves the puck out of the zone quickly. He utilizes his skating and strong first pass to start the transition game.

Dahlin’s creativity and hockey sense are off the charts. He makes plays that other defenders would not even dream of trying. His strong skating allows him to walk the line, and to open up passing and shooting lanes. Couple this with the stickhandling to elude defenders one-on-one and the skating to beat them as well, and he is one of the most dynamic offensive defencemen in years.

Defensive Game
Dahlin is also very effective defensively, utilizing his strong positioning as well as the good stick-checking ability to shut down forwards on the rush. He keeps them to the outside and has good gap control. He is not the most physical player, though that may come with more time, and added weight. Dahlin is willing to use his body to fight in the corners and to knock an attacker off the puck, but he does not throw a lot of big hits. In this way he keeps himself in position, and is ready for the next play. When a defensive zone turnover is created, he moves the puck up the ice and transitions quickly to offense.

Projection and Comparison
Dahlin is quite simply the best draft defence prospect we have seen in a decade. Terms like “generational talent” are thrown around often but in Dahlin’s case it is very much deserved. The sky is the limit as far as his potential goes. Now in terms of a style (not talent) comparison, he has the offensive game of an Erik Karlsson, with the defensive game of Drew Doughty. He should be in the NHL and a big-time contributor next season.

So Erik Karlsson is the lazy comparison because of nationality and skills. But its a pretty good one. But based on his stats, Dahlin is even better than EK at the same level

Dahlin (D) - 41 GP, 7/13/20
Karlsson (D+1) – 45 GP, 5/5/10 (also with Frolunda)

The Buffalo Sabres are a bad team for a reason. If they do not want to draft a Dman #1 for whatever insane reason, the off the board pick is most likely

Andrei Svechnikov - 6'3", 183 lb, RW, Barrie Colts (OHL) :ussr: 44 GP, 40/32/72

quote:

Skating
Svechnikov is an outstanding skater. He has elite level speed and very good acceleration. He can beat his defender to the outside and cut back to the net. Svechnikov also has sublime edgework and agility, making him very hard to defend in one-on-one situations. He has very good balance and power in his skating stride. This skating ability allows him to play a skilled offensive game, as well as to be a power winger. He has the power to fight through checks and win battles on the boards, as well as to beat defenders with slick moves. He’s not a big hitter, but it is very difficult to knock Svechnikov off the puck.

Offensive Game
Svechnikov has every offensive skill one would want in a player. He has a fantastic wrist shot with a bullet-quick release. He also has an excellent snapshot and a great one-timer. His shooting arsenal is elite, and NHL ready. His backhand is elite. A pure sniper, he can also tip-in pucks, and has the quick hands to finish on rebounds, or on dekes close to the net.

Svechnikov can stick handle in a phone booth, beating defenders one-on-one, and in close to the net. He protects the puck well and has the power to control it down low and create in the cycle game. While he is best known as a sniper, he has excellent vision and passing skills as well. In the cycle game, he can play the role of playmaker for his linemates. Svechnikov is a smart and creative player, who is often one step ahead of the competition.

Defensive Game
The defensive game is very much a work in progress. He needs to show a stronger commitment to play in his own end of the ice. Even when he does commit to coming back, positioning and zone coverage are a challenge. He has a tendency to puck watch instead of covering his man away from the play. When his team gets the puck, he is quick to fly the zone looking for a long breakaway pass.

Projection and Comparison
Andrei Svechnikov is an elite level sniper. He may not be NHL ready right away, and could possibly use another year of development, but he should still be an elite sniper at the next level. Svechnikov should be a first-line, franchise-defining goal scorer. In terms of style (but not necessarily talent), his game is similar to Vladimir Tarasenko of the St. Louis Blues.

Svechnikov came back too early from a broken hand and had a mediocre WJC because of it. But he found his scoring touch soon after and continued to light the lamp. He also delivered a massive headshot to some dude in his last regular season game and got a 4 game playoff suspension for his troubles :lol:

Who else is good?

Players of note:

Adam Boqvist - The quintessential AAAA player, which is not a bad thing as an 18 yo. Boqvist absolutely annihilated the Sweedish junior league, but looked lost against the adults, which makes for a tricky evaluation at times. If not for Dahlin, he would be the easy EK comparison.

Brady Tkachuk – Yet another member of the Tkachuk clan, unsurprisingly he plays like the rest ofhis family. 8 goals doesn’t seem like a lot, but the entire BU team played like complete butt the first half the season. He (and the rest of BU) dominated the second half of the season.

Quinn Hughes – I love Quinn Hughes and I think he's the best non-Dahlin D in the draft. The best skater in the NCAA last season and arguably the draft, scouts knock him for his size. But watch his NCAA playoff tape if you don't believe him, good lord. Brother of Jack Hughes, the probable #1 pick in 2019

Oliver Wahlstrom - https://i.imgur.com/AWqqj2t.mp4

Jett Woo - Is named Jett Woo

Anything else I should know
If you are a lotto team needing a defenseman, oh boy are you in luck. This is the best D draft in several years and I suspect there will be a run early on on D ealry in the draft leading to a hilarious reach or two. (Ryan Merkley, come on down) The top flight Wing talent isn't too bad either, but all the C/W players basically project as a winger. Center depth is quite lacking though, so bad teams needing a center, you can tank for Jack Hughes next year. I like this draft as a whole, mainly because of all the D talent that is available as its is quite unusual to have this many halfway-decent defensemen. Some people say there's a clear Top 9/10, before the talent drops but I fundamentally disagree with that take. I like the depth/teens player quite a lot, its just that the center depth isn't quite there, which is probably why the Top 9 quip exists. Its also quite likely there won't be a Canadian picked Top 5 this year which hasn't happened in forever, which is cool and good

Happy Drafting :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X5bj3cGDMM

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
After five seconds of looking at players I hope the Flyers draft Kotkaniemi.

And also Nando Eggenberger and Jett Woo, because why on Earth would they not?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Jett Woo - Is named Jett Woo

And is the son of the actor who played Park in Goon.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
No picks until round 4. Great job, Calgary front office.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
I swear if the habs pass on zadina i will be so mad

stab fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 9, 2018

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I am obligated to cheer for whatever team drafts the Barrie Colts players. So really anyone but Ottawa draft Svechnikov please.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Barring any hilarious fallers I guess I’m gonna armchair K’Andre Miller or Akil Thomas as good upside picks for the Leafs slot. Barrett Hayton is a trap and I’m not super thrilled about Woo.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

gently caress the draft lottery, i don't care who we pick as long as they don't suck

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

To save all Canucks fans time: we're going to draft a defenceman because drafting for need is a thing our team does now and they'll dissapoint while Wahlstrom goes 8th and puts up a 60 point rookie season.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ThinkTank posted:

To save all Canucks fans time: we're going to draft a defenceman because drafting for need is a thing our team does now and they'll dissapoint while Wahlstrom goes 8th and puts up a 60 point rookie season.

seems like some of the d-men available high in the rankings are pretty good though

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I dont want the crappy Tkachuk.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I dont want the crappy Tkachuk.

I think he'll be solid but go too high.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think he'll be solid but go too high.
99.99% chance he's going to be Ottawa's pick.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I am excited to see Chiarelli trade away the 10th overall pick for a 4th line AHL player after one of the good d-men at the top of the draft slip to us.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think there will be better forwards in the Devils slot even if they need D and I hope they don't pull a Zacha again (please god BPA)

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 9, 2018

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

seems like some of the d-men available high in the rankings are pretty good though

There are a lot of defenceman ranked highly, but other than Dahlin not any I'd consider likely to be an excellent NHLer. I like Bouchard and consider him the best of the bunch after Dahlin largely because what he's doing points wise is essentially unprecedented. Teams will avoid him because of skating, but that's supremely overblown imo. Dobson is fine, but you're looking at a guy who'll probably end up a 2nd pairing type. Boqvist has never excited me. I could be wrong, but he reminds me more of Yannick Weber than Keis Letang. His decision making can be downright terrible, and that's a killer at any level.

More to the point, even if we get a good defenceman missing out on a top quality forward because of current need is such a huge opportunity cost. The team is not deep enough at any position to begin prioritizing one over another. Stats say Wahlstrom is on par with the best players to ever come out of the USHL, up there with Matthews and Kane. There's a strong possibiliy he's the second best player in this draft that will slip because teams still don't have an accurate read on the league he plays in. In the end the Canucks just need more talent. I'll take the guy I consider a very strong possibility to be a top line winger (maybe even centre) over a few maybe second pairing defenceman. Just take some defenceman in the later rounds and hope one pans out. Who cares we have a glut of young wingers? If everything works out we can always trade one for a defenceman. You can't trade a meh defenceman for a star forward (unless you are dealing with Chiarelli).

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I think Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard and Hughes are all good enough to be top 5 picks in most years

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Wahlstrom plays with Hughes and Farabee right? That's like the Kostitsyn-Gagner-Kane of the USHL. Still, if Farabee is there at 17 I hope the Devils don't take some reach d-man instead of him.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

My big board tiers would be something like

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina

The Group of 4 D + Wahlstrom
Tkachuk

Ty Smith (though I could prob move him up into the rest of the D)

Veleno/Farabee/etc

The only forward in the 4-9 range is Wahlstrom who could be real good but man, this is a solid defense group. Sens taking Tkachuk over Wahlstrom would be real funny

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Draft 2018: Everyone needs the D.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Detroit's gonna blow it

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Ty Smith has "Canucks Draft Pick you'll never hear of again until he's traded for a conditional 7th" written all over him

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

nature6pk posted:

Ty Smith has "Canucks Draft Pick you'll never hear of again until he's traded for a conditional 7th" written all over him

They're all about uh, *checks notes* Alex Alexeyev (a real name and everything)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Pronman put out a series of draft guides over at The Athletic https://theathletic.com/348128/2018/05/21/corey-pronmans-complete-guide-to-the-2018-nhl-draft/

here's his big board, its got some very interesting takes

Kotkameni at 4, Bokk 8, Ryan friggin Merkley 10, then the Bouchard/Dobson/Smith trio all in the late teens

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 21, 2018

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Supposedly, Holland wants to trade the #6 pick and Athanasiou to trade up for a forward.

So there's that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Did Kotkameni's stock just shoot up? I feel like I was reading just a few weeks ago about how he was more of an after 10 pick

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Levitate posted:

Did Kotkameni's stock just shoot up? I feel like I was reading just a few weeks ago about how he was more of an after 10 pick

I mean, his name is Eagle Cape so maybe americans were told this recently and got excited.

e: also, if teams picked exactly like that, would first canadian going at 10. already be a record of some sort?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

AsInHowe posted:

Supposedly, Holland wants to trade the #6 pick and Athanasiou to trade up for a forward.

So there's that.

Wait what? How does that make any sense?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Oh hell, more rankings. Steve Kournianos put out his 500 man big board and I usually like his takes for the most part. This list, ehhhhh, he's been on the Svechnikov #1OA for as long as I've been reading him https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2018-nhl-draft/2018-nhl-draft-final-500-rankings-may/

1 Andrei Svechnikov
2 Rasmus Dahlin
3 Filip Zadina
4 Adam Boqvist
5 Joel Farabee
6 Joe Veleno
7 Brady Tkachuk
8 Ty Smith
9 Oliver Wahlstrom
10 Quinn Hughes
11 Jesperi Kotkaniemi
12 Noah Dobson
13 Rasmus Sandin
14 Barrett Hayton
15 Evan Bouchard

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 22, 2018

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

clean ayers act posted:

Wait what? How does that make any sense?

Holland doesn't like Athanasiou, he's an idiot.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Pronman put out a series of draft guides over at The Athletic https://theathletic.com/348128/2018/05/21/corey-pronmans-complete-guide-to-the-2018-nhl-draft/

here's his big board, its got some very interesting takes

Kotkameni at 4, Bokk 8, Ryan friggin Merkley 10, then the Bouchard/Dobson/Smith trio all in the late teens

Real lack of Jett Woo and Nando Eggenberger, but Serron Noel is pulling some weight.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Draft combine finishes up today with physical testing. We will soon know which prospects couldn't do pull-ups so they can be shamed accordingly

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Anyone we can teach size to? This is important for reasons.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Some public numbers from today's testing. Limited to the top 25 performers in each category at current. There will probably be full numbers made available at some point.

https://link.nhl.com/centralscouting/public/

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
The media asked Dahlin where he drops in Fortnite and he said the Flush Factory

edit:

apparently it wasn't just media members asking questions about Fortnite and video games in general. Teams had questions for players too, which seems kinda weird but I guess people are spooked after that story of a prominent 1st round pick flaming out due to playing video games all day broke a few weeks ago

https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/1002899691766452226

whatis fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 2, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Svechnikov is loving jacked, wow

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Quinn Hughes is skipping the workouts because he hasn't had time to workout since he went straight from the NCAA tournament to the worlds. I'm wondering if thats a trend we'll start to see more of from the higher end guys

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

clean ayers act posted:

Quinn Hughes is skipping the workouts because he hasn't had time to workout since he went straight from the NCAA tournament to the worlds. I'm wondering if thats a trend we'll start to see more of from the higher end guys

I’m questioning his Compete Levels already

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

I’m questioning his Compete Levels already

Didn't know Oiler scouts posted here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+