Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

I decided to watch a bit of it when i got home and jesus pissing christ on a log that dog scene was horrible and somehow made far worse because it was done in practical CGI. I cannot overstate how much I do not want to experience that again. My skin is all itchy. Will finish the rest tomorrow.

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mister Speaker posted:

goddrat man that is dedication, respect

I probably watch it 8 times a year as well. It's one of the best movies ever made.

Aliens I probably watch 15 times a year. Whenever I'm drunk (often) and don't know what to watch I'll put it on in the background.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ive introduced 20-25 people to the thing and it's probably the greatest achievement of my life

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Thing is loving perfection.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I know you gentlemen have been through a lot. But when you find the time, I’d rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS loving COUCH!

Not only is The Thing quite possibly the best sci-fi/body horror movie ever made, it is definitely the best movie dealing with isolation and paranoia in a “whodunit?” setting. Moviegoers and ESPECIALLY harsh movie critics were dumber than poo poo in 1982 to let this be a flop.

And yes, I too watch it several times a year. Perfection.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Every time the thing isn't on screen characters ought to be asking "where is the thing??"

I was able to see the IMAX cut just before Covid and I will treasure that memory forever

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I also happen to love that goofy Hanna-Barbera “goopy quicksand” sound effect during the defibrillator scene :3:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The Thing remake "The Hateful Eight" wasn't quite as good but it was decent.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Brother Tadger posted:

Sequel was just meh tho. A friend had the video game too and I remember it being competent but ultimately forgettable

Watched the both movies in chronological order back to back, never seen the original before. Still loved it, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if the 2011 Thing hadn't shown me what happened. It ruins the mystery of what happened in the other outpost.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I put on the The Thing soundtrack when I'm working sometimes, it's great background noise, this version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgiSXRoG2tQ

Then some time ago I found it on vinyl and bought it from here: https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/products/the-thing-original-soundtrack, thinking I'd get the same nice feeling with added bonus of putting on a vinyl.

But turned out that first youtube link and the vinyl are not the same. This is the version I got: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HVqvmyN2yA

Other arrangements, a song that's not even in the movie (Bestiality, it was used in Hateful Eight) and other differences. The vinyl is grating as hell to listen to so I never put it on. Looks nice though!

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cat Hassler posted:

I saw this in the theater the weekend it was released in June 1982. Oh man when the dog Thingifies in the dog pen some people just got up and walked out. Then a bunch more bailed in the scene where they defibrillate Norris

Saw this on a Friday and Blade Runner the next day. Both released the same day!

I'm happy for you but also sad for you that your life peaked in 1982.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
The thing is the best movie of all time

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I hate horror movies but this movie loving rules.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's basically a perfect movie

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Prince of Darkness is better imo

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
watched it for the first time last night, really loving solid movie

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Prince of Darkness is better imo

:frogout:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Applewhite posted:

The Thing remake "The Hateful Eight" wasn't quite as good but it was decent.

Not having any VOODOO BULLSHIT really dragged it down

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing is a real fuckin good movie that a lot of folk think they know the story so why see the movie, space alien, whatever

Another John carpenter flick that is real good that people seem to think they don’t need to see, theyve got the story, is they live

John carpenter is a good director

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

rotinaj posted:

The thing is a real fuckin good movie that a lot of folk think they know the story so why see the movie, space alien, whatever

Another John carpenter flick that is real good that people seem to think they don’t need to see, theyve got the story, is they live

John carpenter is a good director

yeah but what about John Carpenter's Vampires

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Red letter media's ReView episode about the thing is pretty great and has some cool info about the behind the scenes practical stuff. It's worth a watch if you love the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSFXYKl_rf0

They also just wrapped up a 3 part series ranking all of john carpenter's movies, from worst to best, and it's a pretty great way to waste a some time if you nerd out on movie stuff.

⌄⌄⌄⌄⌄⌄beat yo rear end

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 20, 2021

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah but what about John Carpenter's Vampires

The red letter media guys did a good filmography ranking video on him, and made the extremely salient point that after about 98 or so, JC decided to take the big checks and just be a director for hire

I am not gonna fault him for making a bunch of mediocre to bad movies for pay after he had made all his art

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I enjoyed Vampires but I was also 14 at the time so...

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Vampires is ok, the characters are loving dicks but vampire carnage is solid blade/10

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Archer666 posted:

Watched the both movies in chronological order back to back, never seen the original before. Still loved it, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if the 2011 Thing hadn't shown me what happened. It ruins the mystery of what happened in the other outpost.

I hope you at least learned a lesson about prequels.

Chronological order, fuckin lol.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Ignore the thing prequel and play the official canon sequel video game "the thing" which is cool and good and isn't hard to get up and running on windows 10!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The game sucks rear end lol, it's poorly written so the story is lame and their entire original concept of having who the Thing is be totally randomized was untenable so it's just extremely scripted and obvious.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Wrong

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Lil Swamp gets REALLY mad at games if you're read his other posts in random threads. Long screeds of why they're terrible. I don't disagree all the time but it's stunning.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I hope you at least learned a lesson about prequels.

Chronological order, fuckin lol.

Yeah I would never do that. They might retcon things or make references to the "sequel" which will just screw everything up.

Always watch in release order.

Imagine watching the Star Wars prequels before watching episode 4-6. omg that'd be so terrible and would probably turn you off of Star Wars and then you'll think the originals will suck.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Wait, has there ever been a good prequel?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
just hosted a little showing of this last night, it was one person's first viewing and it ruled seeing their reactions as time went on lol

shout out to nug if you're lurking this

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Das Boo posted:

Does Godfather II count? Also, Rogue one was p good. I think the good the bad and the ugly is also technically a prequel, but the stories are pretty loosely connected in that series anyways.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
X-Men: Days of Future Past is..... like 90% prequel in a way. Sort of.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
The Thing is one of the most perfect horror movies ever made. Possibly the pinnacle of practical special effects. John Carpenter’s best film.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 20, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Possibly the pinnacle of practice special effects.

:agreed:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off :cthulhu:

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Infernal Affairs II was pretty good.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I watched star wars prequels first and Phantom Menace is the best one :smugbert:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
God damned Norwegians.