Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What helps make you a good person
This poll is closed.
is it our connection with others? 26 30.59%
Is it fear of hell? 3 3.53%
Is it a pure desire to be good? 34 40.00%
Is it fear of laws/jail? 3 3.53%
to get laid? 17 20.00%
fear of karma? 2 2.35%
Total: 85 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

dudeness posted:

Holding my breath right now to lower my carbon footprint.

I stopped breathing years ago to reduce my environmental impact. You selfish bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

My Shoes posted:

IDK how hucksters factor in? But I like you. :)

I'm just keenly aware of how loving superficial my poo poo sounds, that's all, and it makes me a little self conscious. But eh it works for me.

E: I think I've just become comfortable with an utter lack of answers beyond feeling that there's some guiding thing out there

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'm just keenly aware of how loving superficial my poo poo sounds, that's all, and it makes me a little self conscious. But eh it works for me.

Nah. Don't be. People need to be reminded of this stuff. :) It's good you're sayin it!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

My Shoes posted:

Like.. ok gimme an example.

Like alright so you round up your family in the sedan for a day at the beach. You get there and have a boombox and a bag of kittens in the trunk, and you throw the kittens in the ocean as the burned cd of cat noises transitions to gurgling and crying. You all drive home in silence but then you reveal to your family that it was actually a bag of old fur coats and you were showing them FUR IS MURDER, join the movement blah blah. So then you say haha ha, just kidding again, and present them with giftboxes of NEW fur coats and lecture them on how our native settlers and nomadic tribes wore furs and how its actually a good thing.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Like alright so you round up your family in the sedan for a day at the beach. You get there and have a boombox and a bag of kittens in the trunk, and you throw the kittens in the ocean as the burned cd of cat noises transitions to gurgling and crying. You all drive home in silence but then you reveal to your family that it was actually a bag of old fur coats and you were showing them FUR IS MURDER, join the movement blah blah. So then you say haha ha, just kidding again, and present them with giftboxes of NEW fur coats and lecture them on how our native settlers and nomadic tribes wore furs and how its actually a good thing.

Jesus, what a mind gently caress. You may be a little evil. :P

Creative though!

OK, so then there is this old lady on the beach who loves cats and runs into the ocean to save them and gets ripped apart and killed by a bull shark right as she realizes the bag is not real kittens. So now you are responsible for someone else's death. Now what?

My Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 15, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It bears mentioning that ClamdestineBoyster has a really great gimmick going of posting extremely insane stuff and it's spot on enough that you wonder if somebody's gone off their meds.

Seriously I mean it when I say really great, it's fukn hilarious in most cases

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

It bears mentioning that ClamdestineBoyster has a really great gimmick going of posting extremely insane stuff and it's spot on enough that you wonder if somebody's gone off their meds.

Seriously I mean it when I say really great, it's fukn hilarious in most cases

Oh yeh - I :love: ClamdestineBoyster and he knows it. :) (or he should!)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

loving hell I'm posting earnest af itt

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

im gay

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
not a checkbox poll voted 1

thats me being a good person. being honest.

bitcvh!!!

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

loving hell I'm posting earnest af itt

That's ok- throw some random comedy in here sometime to even it out. :P

Like this!

:love:

I've enjoyed your posts so far btw!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Chinatown posted:

not a checkbox poll voted 1

thats me being a good person. being honest.

bitcvh!!!

I'm gonna box your balls so hard that we're gonna make a fortune selling it as a fetish vid binch

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Chinatown gets hella mentions in the Who's your favorite goon thread. Like more than anyone almost.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you had a fur coat you could just walk out into the woods and live there forever.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

My Shoes posted:

Chinatown gets hella mentions in the Who's your favorite goon thread. Like more than anyone almost.

circlejerks are bad

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

I do it because I could be in a bad place at anytime. I tip 50% regularly, I rate threads higher than a necessity, I cum the last.

Correct, the Rawlsian take. Conceptions of goodness are for children.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

circlejerks are bad

Ha! Yeh saw that post. :P

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Imagine that someone being an rear end in a top hat could just be someone having the worst day of their life. The fundamental attribution error is real

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Imagine that someone being an rear end in a top hat could just be someone having the worst day of their life. The fundamental attribution error is real

Gonna need you to explain this to me like I'm a moron, because I am.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
We are all pieces of poo poo in this great big clogged toilet of a world and you know it :emo:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

My Shoes posted:

Do any of you goons believe in reincarnation? or heaven and hell?

What is your motivation for being good?

I believe it reincarnation!!! We die, rot, and fertilize new growth!!! It's really beautiful. But it is really hard to find ways to be interred without being embalmed. It's kind of hosed up.

To answer OP's question I think being good is good! :)

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

True. I should've thought of that.

i went straight to unexamined insecurities and being angry at themselves/the world or being a narcissist and went right past someone just having a bad day which is probably what is going on a lot. I was hearing zebras instead of horses.

My Shoes fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 15, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Reincarnation is old news y'all should believe in impermanence.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Gonna need you to explain this to me like I'm a moron, because I am.

Fundamental attribution error is the tendency to attribute someone's actions being due to something internal (personality or whatever) rather than external. Classic example is when someone cuts you off in traffic. People generally think "What an rear end in a top hat" or something similar, rather than thinking that maybe the guy is in a hurry for good reason (medical emergency, bee in the car etc..). Of course, it may be true that they are an rear end in a top hat, but assuming that really doesn't help anyone. Give people the benefit of the doubt whenever you can. You'll feel better.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

Reincarnation is old news y'all should believe in impermanence.

Por qu no los dos?

Applies here too :P

the both/and dialectic thing

My Shoes fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 15, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Fundamental attribution error is the tendency to attribute someone's actions being due to something internal (personality or whatever) rather than external. Classic example is when someone cuts you off in traffic. People generally think "What an rear end in a top hat" or something similar, rather than thinking that maybe the guy is in a hurry for good reason (medical emergency, bee in the car etc..). Of course, it may be true that they are an rear end in a top hat, but assuming that really doesn't help anyone. Give people the benefit of the doubt whenever you can. You'll feel better.

Dude this owns hard, thank you. If I'm taking the long view I generally agree but I'll be honest and say that in most cases I go "What an rear end in a top hat" because it's gratifying on the short term.

Gonna think about that for a bit.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Good poo poo ITT so far. I love you goons. :sparkles:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Seriously that thing I just learned is gonna be hilariously frustrating for my friends because the next time they get cut off I'm gonna go "hey man, relax, he's prolly just gotta poop really bad" and they're gonna give me a mixture of :catstare: and :hmmyes:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I actually have almost gotten into an accident with another car because of a wasp. I guess it had snuck in when I was parked and I only saw after I started driving and it started flying around. I guess wasps really like fried chicken.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I actually have almost gotten into an accident with another car because of a wasp. I guess it had snuck in when I was parked and I only saw after I started driving and it started flying around. I guess wasps really like fried chicken.

I'm used to living in the country so I just ignore all the rear end in a top hat stinging insects including regular wasps and hornets because really they don't give a gently caress about you except ground wasps who will try to murder you for passing within ten yards of their hole with a weed eater and basically what I'm saying is gently caress those guys

That's my stinging insects story

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Having empathy might be a good start.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I dunno if it's karma or whatever, but I try to be a decent person. I'd rather that people are happy to see me than to spend my day wading through a hate swamp.

It pays off in little ways too. I interact with retail people and clerks like actual humans, and sometimes I get a free coffee or a little upgrade or a discount or something.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
oops

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

itry posted:

Having empathy might be a good start.

how to have empathy

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I don't hurt anyone but don't go out of my way to be nice because I'm firmly in the "lol nothing matters" nihilism club.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I try to be a good person because at the beginning of time there was only darkness, only a nihilist void devoid of any meaning. I, in my life, take part in the battle against that dark. I do it, for example, by kindly helping my fellows instead of being mean.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 15, 2019

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha my dream is impossible!

You know what makes me a good person? I always tell your mom not right now, I gotta wipe first. She dont care, she eat that rear end anyway

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
For the person with afterlife questions, Ive always liked this quote from World Without End

quote:

When I'm brave and strong, and care for children and the sick and the poor, I become a better person. And when I'm cruel, cowardly, or tell lies, or get drunk, I turn into someone less worthy, and I can't respect myself. That's the divine retribution I believe in.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

None of the answers in the poll really fit for me, so heres a shitload of words.

I was an absolute piece of poo poo between about early puberty and my early twenties. I did horrible things that I still think about at least once a week. I cheated on the first girl that ever loved me with a much worse girl strictly out of convenience, I've stolen from who knows how many people up to and including my own mother, I got some people involved in law-breaking that they wouldnt have otherwise been involved in. One of those dudes ended up killing himself, he wasnt in trouble with the law or anything, but I cant imagine that I helped. I was absolutely terrible and ultimately hurt a bunch of people who called me a friend. I have no excuses or defenses for any of these actions, they were all bad.

What helps me try to be a good person is that I dont want more of those memories. I just get sick thinking about who I used to be, and the last thing I want is a new one where Im thinking all those terrible choices from a decade ago and then oh yeah, that time last year where I absolutely ruined someone who cared about me. I go out of my way to take care of my people these days, because it feels pretty good to have a brain full of being helpful and generous. Im fairly free with my money, I do everything I can to get a friend a job if one is needed, I treat my girlfriend as best I can and definitely dont cheat on her, and I generally try to opt for the choice a total piece of poo poo wouldnt make. I learned some lessons, I try to build on them as time goes on, but I definitely learned where some lines are that I never want to cross again.

I know Im going to get it in the rear end with heated barbed pokers if karma or hell turn out to be real, I will deserve that, but that doesnt color my decisions. I just want to minimize the number of choices that will haunt me later. I guess if your question is what can change the nature of a man, my answer is time, memory, or guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
I'm know little of theism and even less of Buddhism specifically but I guess it is sorta like karma? I often try to do the right thing with the thought of how acts of kindness have benefited me in the past. Perhaps I'm overly sentimental (I am :3:) but I really enjoy hearing good news or seeing someone win every now and again so I try to make that happen whenever I can.