Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pondex posted:

I would argue that trekkies pitching a fit over her death was funnier. And that they had to make that alternate timeline-ep where she gets to have a noble death.

Yesterday's Enterprise was pretty great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cranappleberry posted:

yea I read the wiki entries on a lot of the stuff. I know wiki entry condensation of info can make stories seem more coherent and interesting than they are. I liked the Giant Spider-That-Knows-All with inexplicably normal-sized human hands just trying to keep reality from collapsing in on itself and helping out the protagonist for inscrutable reasons. Also he likes to collect scissors. And ears. All the left ears.

Chaos Golem

I read Perdido Street Station and I liked it a lot, it was smart and well written. I still got a feeling that it started as a Planescape DnD Campaign.

One particular thing I liked was that it has a steampunk setting, and it uses that setting well, in that the thing that gets the main plot (IE the nightmare moths) rolling is the fact that neo-Victorian times doesn't understand occupational health and safety

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How about this lil' guy.

Okay, I guess there's a more full shot. Those legs go all the way to the ground.

I guess at its core, it's part of the rich tradition of artists trying to figure out how to depict the martian tripods in war of the worlds, but it's a really unique look. And it comes in pocket-size version.

All the combine synth units have a real unique look to them. It's an interesting idea for these aliens to create an organism from scratch to serve as a vehicle. Or maybe there was some naturally creature that mostly fit the bill before they were enslaved by the combine.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Those are good; If you look at the gunship you can see how it sort of a propose and a Mi-24 mashed together.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RandolphCarter posted:

Every Thing from The Thing.

when i opened this thread i also intended to post this....

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Space Herpe

Cannibal Kane
Aug 3, 2021
This movie gave me nightmares when I was young in the 80's, Invaders from Mars.

Their design and look always stuck with me.

Especially the Brain look alike that made think of TNMT.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The face reminds me of the eye thing from Big Trouble in Little China.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Stuff in the 1985 movie THE STUFF is a surprisingly cool sci-fi movie monster despite being a combination of shaving cream and yogurt on-camera.

https://youtu.be/yZRdPNlLG4s

https://youtu.be/FXSjAqEVSSo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cannibal Kane posted:

You can't fool me that's a Spider Mastermind.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cannibal Kane posted:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

How about this lil' guy.

Okay, I guess there's a more full shot. Those legs go all the way to the ground.

I guess at its core, it's part of the rich tradition of artists trying to figure out how to depict the martian tripods in war of the worlds, but it's a really unique look. And it comes in pocket-size version.

All the combine synth units have a real unique look to them. It's an interesting idea for these aliens to create an organism from scratch to serve as a vehicle. Or maybe there was some naturally creature that mostly fit the bill before they were enslaved by the combine.

It's the latter I think. The human combine troops are undergoing what has happened to these creatures. Eventually they too will be misshapen husks and utterly enslaved.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

That sequence in HL2 when you get to the prison and have to fight two of these is still one of the most intense bossfights I've ever played.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pondex posted:

That sequence in HL2 when you get to the prison and have to fight two of these is still one of the most intense bossfights I've ever played.

I do like that one but the best gunship attack is when one ambushes you as you're jumping the broken bridge on highway 17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Cannibal Kane posted:

yeah I loved that movie as a kid. there were some cool monster designs in that