Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

so this may be less of a gently caress up because quite a handful of apps were abusing the poo poo out of this and trying to register tons of them, like lovely f2p games, for data infiltration or credential stealing

That sucks. There should be limits of some kind in place though - I'm a professional computer toucher and I've used the hell out of android for over 10 years and even I got frustrated and gave up trying to find a fix - imagine all the other less savvy users whose apps are now half broken. If there was still the old "open with" prompt to bring them back it would be fine, but that doesn't exist anymore for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I removed my case and it's so much better. A little slick so I'll still throw it in a case in certain situations but otherwise I think no case is the way to go. My only concern is scratching the camera glass.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I get shivers just thinking about going no-case :eek:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Deep State Nine posted:

For people who made the jump from one to two handed phone, how long did it take for you to feel comfortable? The return window isn't that long unfortunately. My other options are trying to replace the battery on the Pixel 2 and putting LineageOS on it or an iPhone mini which will cost more and I'll have to deal with inferior notifications, no always on display, lovely app drawer and a home screen that makes me want to pull my hair out when I try to move an icon :sigh:

A few days ago before my Pixel 6 arrived I thought the Pixel 5 was the absolute biggest device I could tolerate. Now the 6 is a big phone, but after using it since Friday, I'm definitely more accustomed to it now, and the 5 feels quite small by comparison.

That said, until now I've been a 3-button navigation guy 4ever, but using the 6 one-handed with that is impossible for me. I've been using the gestures for a few days now and while I can't type anything one-handed anymore, navigating around apps, and going back has finally clicked with me.

Prior to the 5 I was on a regular Pixel 3, the size of which I loved. In an ideal world this phone would be a bit smaller but I think it's definitely something you could adjust to after 72 hours use.

I used to think my HTC Desire in 2010 was a huge phone. Oh, those halcyon days.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Echophonic posted:

One-handed mode is kinda sick. Definitely going to be nice if games support it without freaking out.
How do I do it?

The description says to "swipe down from the bottom edge of the screen" and uhh, yeah.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

I get shivers just thinking about going no-case :eek:

I never really have had a phone that I thought was slippery, even when reviews or people described it as slippery, but the pixel 6 without a case was legit sliding off my thigh while just sitting on a couch. Strongly recommend a case if you're ever going to set your pixel 6 down on any surface.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would be terrified of using a glass phone like the Pixel 6 without a case.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

sourdough posted:

I never really have had a phone that I thought was slippery, even when reviews or people described it as slippery, but the pixel 6 without a case was legit sliding off my thigh while just sitting on a couch. Strongly recommend a case if you're ever going to set your pixel 6 down on any surface.

This is by far the most slippery phone I have ever had. This is in comparison to the pixel 1, note 9, OnePlus 7 pro. I had no problems using them without cases but the pixel 6 is just dangerous to use without a case

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm at 5hr 8min SoT since last charge and I'm sitting at 38%.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Did they remove the option in 12 to have your download speed display in the notification bar?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lmao, wtf. After moving my delivery date up two times to Nov 3, they now pushed it back to Dec 7.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

eSporks posted:

How do I do it?

The description says to "swipe down from the bottom edge of the screen" and uhh, yeah.

It's a really short swipe. Like the last half an inch or so. Took a few tries to get the hang of, just start right above the gesture navigation line on the bottom.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

CLAM DOWN posted:

Possibly. Or mmwave maybe? Canada doesn't have mmwave and there is just metal in the phone where the mmwave antenna would be.

Reposting this for people to try, since I can't cause my phone is apparently sitting in a FedEx depot somewhere in my city with no delivery date at all now:

Logan 5 posted:

Also re: all the chatter about widely differing battery life results - apparently it is speculated that part of this is the use of the 5G in both the 6 and 6P, using an older Samsung model modem for it - results from a test Tom's Guide did that mentions it seems they got 2 additional hours out of the 6 just using 4G.

So if 5G isnt really a thing for where you live yet (which is like, most places still right) just switch to prefer 4G/LTE for now and maybe get better battery life?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

https://www.engadget.com/google-confirms-pixel-6-pro-display-flickering-issue-will-be-fixed-next-month-122533947.html

Oh cool it's a software issue even though not everyone sees it. Uh sure cool no need to RMA at least

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

By the time 5G is relevant you’ll be posting on your Pixel 8 about how excited you are for the rumoured floral pattern UI in Android 15

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

5G is available everywhere here that 4G/LTE is. But I'll definitely give it a try, given the speeds of LTE-A I really do not need 5G.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pixel 6 Pro no case club. Everyone wishes they were as cool as me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

You're an absolute madman.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I still haven't been able to find some super fast mmwave speeds in inner Melbourne despite there supposedly being mmwave antennas (which the biggest carrier only used for home modems until the Pixel 6 for some reason).

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Echophonic posted:

It's a really short swipe. Like the last half an inch or so. Took a few tries to get the hang of, just start right above the gesture navigation line on the bottom.
Thanks, i got it now!
Between the description telling you to swipe your finger is empty space and the graphic showing a swipe from the upper right, I could not get it all.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Man that camera bar is really useful. That loving phone is so slippery it just slides down my hand when holding it normally. Its nice to have an integrated stop on the back!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My S20 is glass, dropped it a few times including lately falling off my desk at work and its survived somehow. I loving hate cases, especially those gaudy inch thick otterbox albatrosses. I broke the back of my S7 after like a week of ownership, and dropped my Lumia 1020 getting out of the car resulting in a smashed screen. Oh, and my S3 fell off the windowsill I laid it on to get cell service resulting in a smashed screen (I was trying to sell it and it had vibrated from a notification that turned out to be the nigerian prince scam contacting me about the listing). Thats all the damage I've done in 11 years of smartphone ownership.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Does mmwave have any kind of icon or something where you can tell you are using it?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lowen SoDium posted:

Does mmwave have any kind of icon or something where you can tell you are using it?

Might depend on your carrier/phone. One Aussie carrier is calling it 5g Max but I dunno if it says that on the screen.

Supposedly they are getting 4,500Mbps down here which is insane, especially when many Aussies can't even get 100 down at home. I get 270 down in a brand new inner city condo and that's considered well above average.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Heyo, I upgraded to a Pixel 6 Pro, and I have a couple cases for a Pixel 3XL laying around, if anyone wants them, one official OEM Grey Fabric case and one clear Spigen TPU case. Just the cost of shipping (probably $5) first PM gets it. I also may have some screen protectors around. If I can find them I'll throw them in as well.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

By the time 5G is relevant you’ll be posting on your Pixel 8 about how excited you are for the rumoured floral pattern UI in Android 15

Huh? 5G is everywhere for me and averages 200-400mbps. If you're referring to TMO 5G, aka The Good 5G

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, it’s mmWave that’s gonna take forever to actually be meaningful for anyone

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

This is me but not by choice. Despite ordering my Google case along with the phone, delivery estimate is end of November...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I have damage protection through chase, I think I may go no case too.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How else is everyone I meet supposed to know I'm Somewhat Sunny?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Logan 5 posted:

Reposting this for people to try, since I can't cause my phone is apparently sitting in a FedEx depot somewhere in my city with no delivery date at all now:

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to turn 5G off on the 6 Pro. Maybe it's because I'm on Fi or something, but I cannot find the setting at all. Even when searching for it via settings search.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to turn 5G off on the 6 Pro. Maybe it's because I'm on Fi or something, but I cannot find the setting at all. Even when searching for it via settings search.

It's under Preferred Network type, search brings it up.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is this so Bill Gates can't track your pfizer chip?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's under Preferred Network type, search brings it up.

I checked that too and it's not showing up at all. Preferred Network itself isn't even there.

Checked on my Pixel 4 XL running Android 12 and same thing.

smoobles posted:

Is this so Bill Gates can't track your pfizer chip?

I want a booster chip so I can get super fast wifi too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

I checked that too and it's not showing up at all. Preferred Network itself isn't even there.

Checked on my Pixel 4 XL running Android 12 and same thing.

I want a booster chip so I can get super fast wifi too.

Do you have an eSIM or something like that? I've no experience of them.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

All of a sudden, the 3rd button on my Nova Launcher nav bar -- the square, the one that allows you to scroll between recent apps -- has completely stopped working. Dunno if it's Android 12 related (on a Pixel 5a) but anyone know how to get it going again? Anyone else had it happen?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

Pipski posted:

All of a sudden, the 3rd button on my Nova Launcher nav bar -- the square, the one that allows you to scroll between recent apps -- has completely stopped working. Dunno if it's Android 12 related (on a Pixel 5a) but anyone know how to get it going again? Anyone else had it happen?
I know this is an obvious troubleshooting step but rebooted etc? Might need to clear cache for the launcher from apps.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you have an eSIM or something like that? I've no experience of them.

I'm using an eSim and the preferred network option shows up for me.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

minusX posted:

I know this is an obvious troubleshooting step but rebooted etc? Might need to clear cache for the launcher from apps.

Clearing the cache worked, thanks, dunno why I didn't think of that! :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Pipski posted:

Clearing the cache worked, thanks, dunno why I didn't think of that! :-)
Did it start after you updated to 12 or some other thing? I had some weirdness when I switched to a new device recently that was solved with a clear.