Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

fade5 posted:

You stupid, stupid motherfuckers, why would you do this? What the gently caress does Erdogan/the Turkish government possibly think it's going to get by attacking the YPG? Shelling the PKK is dumb but is at least slightly understandable because of the whole Turkey-PKK conflict and because the US probably wouldn't stick its neck out for the PKK.

But attacking the US-backed YPG is a whole other level of stupidness.
:suicide:

Its maximum Osman time friend.
They were the puppetmasters all along. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

goose fleet posted:

Where is ISIS getting all of its military equipment from? I'd imagine that they can't run off old Syrian/Iraqi stockpiles forever.

Mainly two ways you look supplies from defeated forces. The big collapse of the Iraqi military gave ISIS piles of made in the US equipment.

ISIS also collects taxes revenues from its territory and with enough cash you can buy lots of equipment.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I don't know on what planet you live on where you think that Turkey will go through the trouble of fighting ISIS without being guaranteed that they can put the Kurds in their place as part of the deal.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Volkerball posted:

First really damning piece I've seen about peshmerga ethnic cleansing in Iraq. It's not genocide ethnic cleansing, but it seems like it's pretty certain that they are looting and burning down Arab villages, then blaming it on ISIS, with the intent of driving non-Kurds out of the region.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/07/23/peshmerga-war-crimes-ethnic-cleansing-islamic-state-iraq/

Man, Turkey and the Kurds really poo poo the bed this last week. Lot of repercussions are coming and none of them are good.

There doesn't have to be actual genocidal murders for ethnic cleansing to take place, that's why they're two different terms. What's happening sounds like genuine ethnic cleansing, but hopefully isolated instances rather than policy.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I thought "ethnic cleansing" and "genocide" were the same thing?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

goose fleet posted:

Genocide is when you commit mass murder for many reasons which include ethnic cleansing, ethnic cleansing by itself can mean different things like forced evictions and such, it's been Kurdish policy for a while in Iraq to guarantee for them the northern oilfields.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Volkerball posted:

First really damning piece I've seen about peshmerga ethnic cleansing in Iraq. It's not genocide ethnic cleansing, but it seems like it's pretty certain that they are looting and burning down Arab villages, then blaming it on ISIS, with the intent of driving non-Kurds out of the region.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/07/23/peshmerga-war-crimes-ethnic-cleansing-islamic-state-iraq/

I think Fade nailed it:

fade5 posted:

You stupid, stupid motherfuckers, why would you do this?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

goose fleet posted:

If the countries A-istan and B-istan conduct a population transfer where they force their minority populations of ethnic groups B and A, respectively, to the other side of the border at gunpoint, then they have not committed genocide, but they have committed ethnic cleansing.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 27, 2015

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Oh, I see. The news tends to use it interchangeably.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goose fleet posted:

Oh, I see. The news tends to use it interchangeably.

Well it's rare to not do both at once.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Given all of the moaning and groaning regarding the Iran deal, that Iran won't honor it, that it'll kick off Holocaust 2: Electric Boogaloo, are there any good resources to the terms of the deal and how it will be enforced?

Regarding the terms: the JCPOA text is available to the public.

The two most recent episodes of Jeffrey Lewis's podcast Arms Control Wonk are a decent primer on the deal- the latest episode is focused on sanctions relief, provisions for escalation and "snap-back."

On youtube, Harvard's Belfer Center has good lectures on nuclear science and public policy.

If you want context, as an alternative to watching a whole bunch of Charlie Roses episodes I recommend reading these on your lunch break:

http://www.cfr.org/publication/search/backgrounder.html?Ntt=iran

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Genocide actually has a legal definition that the UN passed that's a bit different than the conventional understanding of it.

quote:

...any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:
(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Twitter Kurds are posting that Sarrin has been captured from ISIS.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brown Moses posted:

Twitter Kurds are posting that Sarrin has been captured from ISIS.

Terrific

something original
Sep 9, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

I don't know on what planet you live on where you think that Turkey will go through the trouble of fighting ISIS without being guaranteed that they can put the Kurds in their place as part of the deal.

Exactly. The logic goes like this:

ISIS is a horrfying monster of an organization. The Kurds are our allies against them. Turkey should have joined this alliance. The Kurds are oppressed in Turkey. Turkey should immediately stop doing that. They should support the Kurds against ISIS. They should stop getting so alarmed about Kurdish autonomy in Syria.

Not unsound logic but you need to consider why all major political parties (except pro-Kurdish HDP) are either very hesistant about or simply against granting Kurds proper minority rights.

The answer: A very large segment of our (Turkish) society is simply not mature enough for this. Don't expect much change in the immediate future. It's gonna take a while.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

something original posted:

Exactly. The logic goes like this:

ISIS is a horrfying monster of an organization. The Kurds are our allies against them. Turkey should have joined this alliance. The Kurds are oppressed in Turkey. Turkey should immediately stop doing that. They should support the Kurds against ISIS. They should stop getting so alarmed about Kurdish autonomy in Syria.

Not unsound logic but you need to consider why all major political parties (except pro-Kurdish HDP) are either very hesistant about or simply against granting Kurds proper minority rights.

The answer: A very large segment of our (Turkish) society is simply not mature enough for this. Don't expect much change in the immediate future. It's gonna take a while.

It's so weird to see the Turks mad about the Kurds when the Kurds were their bros and helped them out so much with the Armenians in that wonderful time, doing a lot of their dirty work.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Panzeh posted:

It's so weird to see the Turks mad about the Kurds when the Kurds were their bros and helped them out so much with the Armenians in that wonderful time, doing a lot of their dirty work.

Things went downhill in 1925 and didn't stop. Personally, I was surprised it took Erdogan this long to start up on the PKK and their allies. Ultimately, it isn't in the best interests of Turkish nationalists for either ISIS or the harder-line Kurdish groups to win too completely. If anything is grand strategy is probably for them to tear into each other until the end of time.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

this, incidentally, is also why supporting the ouster of the muslim brotherhood in egypt is a really dumb thing to do if you're worried about militant islam as a political force

granted they were a minority, but people trying to lecture the muslim brotherhood on the need to stop throwing tantrums and engage with the political process while they were being slaughtered in the street following a military coup still feels like the absolute nadir of this thread

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

So this is apparently happening.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/w...&smtyp=cur&_r=0

quote:

Turkey and U.S. Agree on Plan to Clear ISIS From Strip of Syria’s North

BAGHDAD — Turkey and the United States have agreed in general terms on a plan that envisions American warplanes, Syrian insurgents and Turkish forces working together to sweep Islamic State militants from a 60-mile-long strip of northern Syria along the Turkish border, American and Turkish officials say.

The plan would create what officials from both countries are calling an Islamic State-free zone controlled by relatively moderate Syrian insurgents, which the Turks say could also be a “safe zone” for displaced Syrians.

While many details have yet to be determined, including how deep the strip would extend into Syria, the plan would significantly intensify American and Turkish military action against Islamic State militants in the country, as well as the United States’ coordination with Syrian insurgents on the ground. The plan was described in recent days by four senior American officials, who were briefed on the talks and spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss operational planning.

“Details remain to be worked out, but what we are talking about with Turkey is cooperating to support partners on the ground in northern Syria who are countering ISIL,” a senior Obama administration official said, using another term for the Islamic State. “The goal is to establish an ISIL-free zone and ensure greater security and stability along Turkey’s border with Syria.”

But the plan faces the same challenges that have long plagued American policy in Syria. While the United States is focused on the Islamic State, also known as ISIS, both the Turks and the Syrian insurgents see defeating President Bashar al-Assad of Syria as their first priority, even though Turkey has escalated its efforts against the Islamic State since the group was said to have carried out its first deadly bombing on Turkish soil last week.

Whatever the goal, the plan will put American and allied warplanes closer than ever to areas that Syrian aircraft regularly bomb, raising the question of what they will do if Syrian warplanes attack their partners on the ground.

And with only 60 Syrian insurgents having been formally vetted and trained by the United States under a Pentagon program, questions also remain about which Syrian insurgents and how many will be involved in the new operation. A larger number of rebels that American officials deem relatively moderate have been trained in a covert C.I.A. program, but on the battlefield they are often enmeshed or working in concert with more hard-line Islamist insurgents.

In another complication, gains for such insurgents would come at the expense of Syrian Kurdish militias that are already fighting the Islamic State farther east with American air support and that have been eyeing the same territory.

Turkish officials and Syrian opposition leaders are describing the agreement as something just short of a prize they have long sought as a tool against Mr. Assad: a no-fly zone in Syria near the Turkish border. They want such a zone in order to curb devastating Syrian government airstrikes on opposition areas, to allow refugees in Turkey to go home and to insulate Turkey from the war, and they call the new plan a “safe zone” that could achieve some of those goals.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I wonder if they're saying "safe zone" because that's what that Brookings Inst report called it?

Anyone else read that report? Lots of "fixing syria is really hard and complicated, so how's about we just capture little parts of it and yeah that will make it better"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Count Roland posted:

I wonder if they're saying "safe zone" because that's what that Brookings Inst report called it?

Anyone else read that report? Lots of "fixing syria is really hard and complicated, so how's about we just capture little parts of it and yeah that will make it better"

to be fair, cutting them off from the turkish border, and thus new recruits, is a valid method of at least improving the situation.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

to be fair, cutting them off from the turkish border, and thus new recruits, is a valid method of at least improving the situation.

Uh yeah maybe but somebody's gonna need to put troops there, airstrikes can hold territory forever.

And would this really stop recruits? If you can cut them off inside Syria, why not just do it at the Turkish border?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Count Roland posted:

Uh yeah maybe but somebody's gonna need to put troops there, airstrikes can hold territory forever.

And would this really stop recruits? If you can cut them off inside Syria, why not just do it at the Turkish border?

Because a bunch of them are just regular dudes with no priors who happen to be visiting Turkey, and once they cross the border they are gone. Turkey owning and controlling an occupied land area where tourists are not allowed is very different.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The problem with that is the Kurds have already captured all but a small slice of the border and they weren't going to let more ISIS fighters through, especially when they grabbed that last slice they were certain to get. If that was the goal, it would be a lot easier and probably better to just help the Kurds take that last bit.

This seems more to be "Welp, the Kurds have been pretty successful... let's squash their ideas of Kurdistan now."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Shadoer posted:

The problem with that is the Kurds have already captured all but a small slice of the border and they weren't going to let more ISIS fighters through, especially when they grabbed that last slice they were certain to get. If that was the goal, it would be a lot easier and probably better to just help the Kurds take that last bit.

This seems more to be "Welp, the Kurds have been pretty successful... let's squash their ideas of Kurdistan now."

YPG have shown no real signs of being able to cross Lake Assad and conquer that area.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Count Roland posted:

I mean, stabilizing it little by little sounds like a great plan on paper - just carve out a new beachhead and perimeter every few days, with occupation forces used like police inside the perimeter. Easy-peasy!

Unfortunately that's the only place it's ever going to be a good plan. It's a terrible plan in practice and everyone but the Sentinelese and Neoconservatives know it'll end in horror just like it did in Iraq.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

YPG have shown no real signs of being able to cross Lake Assad and conquer that area.

Yeah that's why you'd help them take it or just focus the campaign on that area. Not safe zone the entire border.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Shadoer posted:

Yeah that's why you'd help them take it or just focus the campaign on that area. Not safe zone the entire border.

Where did you get "the entire border" from that article? It seems pretty plain that any plan involving the US would be to target the isis held area on the border and let the YPG keep doing their thing as well. Yes i know Turkey are dickheads but a few bombing runs is not the same as them invading YPG territory.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

What is the modern perception of Ataturk, both in Turkey and in surrounding countries?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

goose fleet posted:

What is the modern perception of Ataturk, both in Turkey and in surrounding countries?

he's basically a demigod in Official Turkey idk about the other countries in the area

can't imagine the greeks are very fond of him

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

he's basically a demigod in Official Turkey idk about the other countries in the area

How do people square his views on, and actions implementing, an enforced secularized government vs the increasingly steps away from secularization happening in the government today? Is that awkwardly ignored/skipt over that when ever he is discussed by conservatives, or have people attempt to re-write his views regarding that?

I always find it fascinating when politicians end up revering old historical figures who likely would of hated them had they actually meet.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Because a bunch of them are just regular dudes with no priors who happen to be visiting Turkey, and once they cross the border they are gone. Turkey owning and controlling an occupied land area where tourists are not allowed is very different.

Yeah all those legitimate tourists visiting the Turkish-Syrian border. Wouldn't want to inconvenience them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Count Roland posted:

Yeah all those legitimate tourists visiting the Turkish-Syrian border. Wouldn't want to inconvenience them.

Once they are in Turkey they can make their way across the border, are you suggesting Turkey simply stop all tourism? This allows them to set up an actual militarized zone where they can tightly control access.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Nasrullah of Hezbollah is trolling turkey. That is kind of funny.

Edit: turkey is denying claims it repeatedly attacked the ypg. Also investigating the claims. so I guess turkey isn't officially/overtly planning on doing that. Hopefully the ypg don't get suckered.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 27, 2015

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
This safe zone is a fascinating development. I don't know enough to say how much this really disadvantages the Kurds, but as Woodrow said it seems like taking land West of lake Assad wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

In fact, if this action frees up rebels to take the east of Aleppo, this could be a major domino towards Assad's defeat while still maintaining plausible deniability.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Has China's position on Assad changed at all? Seems towards the start of the conflict all the talk was on Russia and China, then ISIS emerged and Assad started taking some losses and it was all about Hizbollah and Iran.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Ianiniho posted:

Has China's position on Assad changed at all? Seems towards the start of the conflict all the talk was on Russia and China, then ISIS emerged and Assad started taking some losses and it was all about Hizbollah and Iran.

China tends to be okay with the idea that a government can do whatever the gently caress it wants to its people.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

started most of those wars in aggression in the first place, but because

What planet, exactly, are you living on, where you believe this is true? Unless you count "existing" and "not getting snowed under in 1948" as "starting the wars", which many more strident anti-Israel types do.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

-Troika- posted:

What planet, exactly, are you living on, where you believe this is true? Unless you count "existing" and "not getting snowed under in 1948" as "starting the wars", which many more strident anti-Israel types do.

This is not the thread to talk about it. Also, do yourself a favor and please pick up a couple of history books and read them objectively outside of what propaganda-trash you probably got your comments from. knowledge is power.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

This is not the thread to talk about it. Also, do yourself a favor and please pick up a couple of history books and read them objectively outside of what propaganda-trash you probably got your comments from. knowledge is power.

Mabye you shouldn't have brought it up if you don't want people to talk about it!

• Locked thread