Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boris Galerkin posted:

My issue isn't the butchers doing what they are doing. It's that they are allowed to do what they are doing. I can totally get their motivation to keep going but I can't accept that what they're doing isn't being redflagged like hell. It's just absolutely not realistic at all.

Google hires you as a janitor. You might get access to the server rooms to do your job, you might even get an internal Google login account to do your time sheets or whatever the gently caress, but that password isn't going to let you log onto those servers you're dusting because a janitor doesn't need that privilege.

But ok, lets say it does let you login to those servers. Great, you can see what files are there but it probably won't let you read any of those files or let you write to any of those folders. Because again you don't need these privileges to do your job: dusting and occasionally taking boxes of failed hard drives to an incinerator or whatever.

Okay okay, somehow your account has read and write access. You can access and read all the databases that Google has. Now your buddy from the kitchen that was hired to "peel potatoes" and "make French fries" wants access to the servers too and he threatens you to give it to him. So you do it because you want to live. You'll just log onto the admin console, where everything is logged mind you, and add Justin the fry cook onto the list of people with administrative access. You, the janitor, are able to do this. Without it alerting anyone. Without it sending an email out to the upper level admins that "USER JANITOR-175 HAS ADDED JUSTINFRY TO ADMINS."

Yeah there is absolutely nothing in what i wrote that is in the least bit realistic and/or acceptable and it really ruins an otherwise good show.

I do tend to agree; I like what they're doing with the character but the way they've gone about it is far and away the weakest part of the show, which is unfortunately getting the most screen time.

It really comes down to one problem: Motivation. Neither of them have had motivation to do anything they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Dozzy
Nov 5, 2007
I told the other crow this; 'Get off my lawn'
Could the Wyatt story line be a misdirect or a trap by Ford to prevent MiB from finding the maze? Given that we know he keeps coming to the park, and he has some sort of financial stake there-in. If Ford has any inclination as to MiB reviving Arnold's obsession to free the hosts, he'd spare no expense to stop him. While Theresa was expendable, perhaps MiB is too important to have a host make him 'slip' and fall.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ashrik posted:

My buddy was thinking "how could just cauterizing someone's neck save them from that if they weren't a host?" but I think at some point you've just got to be like ehhh it's a TV show. Also, if there was a butchers=hosts reveal, it wouldn't go down like that.

Not sure if you noticed but the neck-attack she did was precisely like the one she did to MiB, except apparently she was in control enough to not cut as deep with him that time.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I kind of "suspension of disbelief" the tech's access as it all relating to the iPad 40 they are using, which they made it clear was not something they should have. I choose to believe they got it from someone who did have access and just left a sticky note with the password attached to it, kind of like if the janitor in that Google example managed to get ahold of a programmer's laptop.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

It's established that there is a system in place, but they've been working in increasingly smaller holes in it's coverage. Maeve herself had to plan the stuff this episode.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

Depending on how the bullets work, they might be bots that have covered themselves in human flesh as a body armor against the magic bullets.

I'm not sure if you noticed but the crazy viking guy who took so many hits had his concept art on the wall in the designer's room in the background. I thought it was a pretty great touch, but it absolutely confirms that the host was not rogue.

Powershift posted:

Do the bullets penetrate based on sentience or flesh feel?

Some day they are going to have to technobabble how the bullets work. I'll except "Nanites" even, just explain the samn things.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doggles posted:

That they did. It's absolute confirmation of the two timeframes theory.

All the timelines are coming together and it's finally making sense.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

My issue isn't the butchers doing what they are doing. It's that they are allowed to do what they are doing. I can totally get their motivation to keep going but I can't accept that what they're doing isn't being redflagged like hell. It's just absolutely not realistic at all.

Have you ever worked at an organization that has achieved enough success that Central/Corporate is no longer monitoring things closely for awhile, but then budgets tighten and a regime change is apparent, so things degrade to the senseless bickering present in the emails you can see on the Delos alt-reality website? That Sizemore has achieved success after literally pissing on people is just a tad over the top, but there being permissions loopholes for the body janitors because of oversights is totally believable to me, at least.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

qbert posted:

He can literally play God with subjects indistinguishable from humans. You don't have to be sadistic to find that appealing.

Also a guy who implants extremely painful memories into the minds of what he sees as people and then orders them to kill people for his own sake might not be sadistic but he's a sociopath on some level at the very least.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
How do goon TVIV threads consistently come up with the dumbest, most batshit contrived theories for every single god drat show? I genuinely curious if this is some sort of meta-troll or of people really are this dumb.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

panda clue posted:

How do goon TVIV threads consistently come up with the dumbest, most batshit contrived theories for every single god drat show? I genuinely curious if this is some sort of meta-troll or of people really are this dumb.
It's even dumber on Reddit.

I know.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sylvester is literally the only fat person we've ever seen on the show, right? Excluding Hosts because they're intentionally anachronistic.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Bicyclops posted:

Have you ever worked at an organization that has achieved enough success that Central/Corporate is no longer monitoring things closely for awhile, but then budgets tighten and a regime change is apparent, so things degrade to the senseless bickering present in the emails you can see on the Delos alt-reality website? That Sizemore has achieved success after literally pissing on people is just a tad over the top, but there being permissions loopholes for the body janitors because of oversights is totally believable to me, at least.

They've talked before about bringing people in to work at the park, which is obviously a remote location. I've worked at resorts before where once hired and the busy season starts, you would have to do something seriously illegal before you get fired. Doing heroin in a parking lot or having complete mental breakdowns during your shift aren't a fire-able offense once it becomes impossible to hire for the season. Pissing on a map is nothing compared to what I've seen.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Enigma posted:

I kind of "suspension of disbelief" the tech's access as it all relating to the iPad 40 they are using, which they made it clear was not something they should have. I choose to believe they got it from someone who did have access and just left a sticky note with the password attached to it, kind of like if the janitor in that Google example managed to get ahold of a programmer's laptop.

Which is a funny idea itself that in super advanced future no one would be using advanced biometrics to login.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sylvester is literally the only fat person we've ever seen on the show, right? Excluding Hosts because they're intentionally anachronistic.

Anthony Hopkins is porking it up a bit.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Bicyclops posted:

Yep, they've mentioned here and there how Delos is either penny pinching or incompetent and things are falling thru the cracks.

Edit: Also, the map on the website has been updated with the location of the beta town.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

duz posted:

Yep, they've mentioned here and there how Delos is either penny pinching or incompetent and things are falling thru the cracks.

Edit: Also, the map on the website has been updated with the location of the beta town.

You can see it in Sizemore's talk with Theresa at the beginning of the show, mostly, where he notes that they achieved what they wanted in terms of profit for the hosts a long time ago, the implication being that Behavior could have some massive cuts and just focus on maintenance or new storylines going forward. But the park staff is clearly used to a "Spared no expense" vibe, so there has probably been a lot of weird issues in terms of who is allowed to do what that has been affected by petty power struggles to prove who is more important than whom.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So now that we know it wasn't Theresa that Ford was building in his basement lab at the end of Ep 7, any speculation as to who it might be?

Whoever "Wyatt" is, is my guess.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Google hires you as a janitor. You might get access to the server rooms to do your job, you might even get an internal Google login account to do your time sheets or whatever the gently caress, but that password isn't going to let you log onto those servers you're dusting because a janitor doesn't need that privilege.

But ok, lets say it does let you login to those servers. Great, you can see what files are there but it probably won't let you read any of those files or let you write to any of those folders. Because again you don't need these privileges to do your job: dusting and occasionally taking boxes of failed hard drives to an incinerator or whatever.

Okay okay, somehow your account has read and write access. You can access and read all the databases that Google has. Now your buddy from the kitchen that was hired to "peel potatoes" and "make French fries" wants access to the servers too and he threatens you to give it to him. So you do it because you want to live. You'll just log onto the admin console, where everything is logged mind you, and add Justin the fry cook onto the list of people with administrative access. You, the janitor, are able to do this. Without it alerting anyone. Without it sending an email out to the upper level admins that "USER JANITOR-175 HAS ADDED JUSTINFRY TO ADMINS."

Yeah there is absolutely nothing in what i wrote that is in the least bit realistic and/or acceptable and it really ruins an otherwise good show.

This was explained. Maeve gained access to the system from the tablet, she was able to get the proper admin credentials by robot hacking it, and then she specifically tells Felix she will tell him what he needs to do and how to work the update because she has 20 intelligence now.

TLDR: She robot hacked the system to get around everything you are talking about.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Actually it was explained that Sylvester can make unflagged changes, just never elaborated on how he got the access. He does it to pimp out hosts. Maeve never would have gotten the INT boost without them being able to make unflagged changes in the first place.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5e5f2z/iama_adorable_body_shop_tech_on_westworld_called/

Felix & Sylvester actors answering questions on Reddit.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Since Maeve is Wyatt we can easily conjecture that everything the butchers did was set in motion by Ford. They don't even need to be hosts.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

We've seen Wyatt, haven't we? I mean, I guess it was just in Teddy's possibly fake memory, but weird they'd bother to show him to just trade him out for someone else. I'd assume that, if he was someone else we knew, they would have not shown him at all to play up the mystery.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It felt like they were answering the questions in character. :(

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So is the beta town Escalante?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
If there are people watching this who haven't watched Jonathan Nolan's previous show Person of Interest, you should really watch Person of Interest. It's all on Netflix!

In both shows AIs are put into a loop where they are killed over and over again. The main AI in the show has its memories wiped every night. To get around this it creates a dummy corporation employing actual human beings to physically print out compressed copies of it's memories at night and manually type them back in the next morning.

A second AI introduced later had a similar origin. Its creators couldn't figure out how to give it the "spark" of life so to turn it into a proper AI they put a killswitch on it that kills the AI after a certain amount of time and just let it run. After thousands of iterations one version finally succeeds in getting around the killswitch and is considered "alive".

THF13 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 21, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

http://imgur.com/I1ZMqTP

Here's something funky. Is Ford leaning on something Bernard can't see?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

thrawn527 posted:

We've seen Wyatt, haven't we? I mean, I guess it was just in Teddy's possibly fake memory, but weird they'd bother to show him to just trade him out for someone else. I'd assume that, if he was someone else we knew, they would have not shown him at all to play up the mystery.

Yeah, this pretty much rules out Wyatt just straight up being some other known character; I don't know why so many people are glomming onto that idea.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

thrawn527 posted:

My unfounded theory is that Teddy is Wyatt. Dolores kills herself when she remembers him as Teddy and saw what he just did.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Fooz posted:

http://imgur.com/I1ZMqTP

Here's something funky. Is Ford leaning on something Bernard can't see?

He's leaning on a pile of Bernard's victims.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

thrawn527 posted:

It's possible that that's not the original Wyatt (a la new clementine)

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Lycus posted:

He's leaning on a pile of Bernard's victims.
Haha.

Poor Bernard.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

THF13 posted:

If there are people watching this who haven't watched Jonathan Nolan's previous show Person of Interest, you should really watch Person of Interest. It's all on Netflix!

In both shows AIs are put into a loop where they are killed over and over again. The main AI in the show has its memories wiped every night. To get around this it creates a dummy corporation employing actual human beings to physically print out compressed copies of it's memories at night and manually type them back in the next morning.

A second AI introduced later had a similar origin. Its creators couldn't figure out how to give it the "spark" of life so to turn it into a proper AI they put a killswitch on it that kills the AI after a certain amount of time and just let it run. After thousands of iterations one version finally succeeds in getting around the killswitch and is considered "alive".

I wasn't planning on ever watching PoI for anything other than Shahi and Acker, but you describing the show in such detail basically left no reason to bother.

Maybe spoiler tag for people who are actually interested. If I had been, that word dump would have felt like too much info for me. Like when someone recommends a movie then tells you exactly what happens in it.

Could just be me tho.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 22, 2016

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

esperterra posted:

I wasn't planning on ever watching PoI for anything other than Shahi and Acker, but you describing the show in such detail basically left no reason to bother.

Maybe spoiler tag for people who are actually interested. If I had been, that word dump would have felt like too much info for me. Like when someone recommends a movie then tells you exactly what happens in it.

Could just be me tho.

There's 5 seasons of Person of Interest, there's a lot more going on than just what I described. I put it in spoiler tags regardless though, can you edit your post so the quoted text has spoiler tags as well?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I don't get Ford at all, I feel like an old person trying to figure out a smartphone.

So he realises that there is no meaningful difference between a host and human, yet he insists on treating the hosts like objects and playthings? He doesn't seem like a hateful or sadistic person. Why is he doing this?

He recognizes no meaningful difference between a human and a banana. His nihilism runs deep.

It is a mystery why he does anything. I suspect it's mere hypocrisy. Other people's aspirations don't matter, just his own.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Caufman posted:

He recognizes no meaningful difference between a human and a banana. His nihilism runs deep.

It is a mystery why he does anything. I suspect it's mere hypocrisy. Other people's aspirations don't matter, just his own.

Yea he is clearly a megalomaniac with a god complex. He gets how 'real' they are, he just views himself as omnipotent in relation to them (and in many ways, he is) and distances himself from the emotion.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I suppose you noticed that the "steeple" in the sand is different from the steeple of the church. I suppose it could have lost some planks or something but it looks different. It does fit with the way that Ford thoughtfully kicks at the sand when he first visits the area before young Ford shows up. I wonder if young Ford's wandering was further than expected given the way Ford reacts and is a sign of starting to lose control.

The jugular is not that big of a deal and it comes from rather than goes to the brain. It's the carotid laceration that is the scary/impressive injury and Silvestre didn't have any overt evidence of that. If there is enough pressure on the wound from the cautery it could work.

You are a doctor so you know better than I, but I do have some points/questions:

- How does cauterization put pressure on a wound?

- So jugular isn't as bad, but even if the cauterization worked at the moment, he wouldn't just be up and walking around without having to get medical treatment pretty soon after right?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bicyclops posted:

Now let's talk about the mail. Can we talk about the mail, please, Felix? I've been dying to talk about the mail with you all day, OK? "Arnold," this name keeps coming up over and over again. Every day Arnold's mail is getting sent back to me. Arnold! Arnold! I look in the mail, and this whole box is Arnold! So I say to myself, "I gotta find this guy! I gotta go up to his office and put his mail in the guy's goddamn hands! Otherwise, he's never going to get it and he's going to keep coming back down here." So I go up to Arnold's office and what do I find out, Felix? What do I find out?! There is no Arnold. The man does not exist, okay? So I decide, "Oh poo poo, buddy, I gotta dig a little deeper." There's no Arnold? You gotta be kidding me! I got boxes full of Arnold! All right. So I start marchin' my way down to Theresa in QA and I knock on her door and I say, "Theresaaaaaa! Theresaaaaaaaa! I gotta talk to you about Arnold." And when I open the door what do I find? There's not a single goddamn desk in that office! There...is...no...Theresa in QA. Mac, half the employees in this building have been made up. This company is a goddamn ghost town.

yoooooooooo

panda clue
May 23, 2014

D-Pad posted:

You are a doctor so you know better than I, but I do have some points/questions:

- How does cauterization put pressure on a wound?

- So jugular isn't as bad, but even if the cauterization worked at the moment, he wouldn't just be up and walking around without having to get medical treatment pretty soon after right?

You're putting too much thought into a relatively minor point. A space-wand/tricorder-stick fixed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ford is definitely a host though, right? That hangup on the word death when he reads off the quote to Bernard is kind of a huge tell.

• Locked thread