Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

2015 edit has to note that the island is uninhabited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Why didn't the character break into Area 52 and steal a bunch of confiscated technology? The actual question is why on Earth would he? - and the only answer there is a tactical-realist assertion that the character must perform optimally. Speedrun for a 100% completion rating, and if anything bad happens it's because he allowed it.

To be fair one of the things Zod brought with him was the Genocide Machine so maybe keep an eye on the kryptonian stuff just in case. Of course, it's in character for Superman to not really do that, because Superman is an idiot.

quote:

2015 edit has to note that the island is uninhabited.

I love that they have to say that the fight took place in the Abandoned City District.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

To be fair one of the things Zod brought with him was the Genocide Machine so maybe keep an eye on the kryptonian stuff just in case. Of course, it's in character for Superman to not really do that, because Superman is an idiot.

There's nothing about him being the Man of Steel – about him being super strong, super tough, etc. – that makes him a better steward for the Kryptonian ship. He only needs to impose himself onto its control if he believes himself morally superior to all mankind, and he'd very much like to not do that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I love that they have to say that the fight took place in the Abandoned City District.

I have no problems with this. Batman, as insane as he is, still doesn't want innocent people getting hurt when he's trying to murder Superman. He's got control of the hunt, why would he bring it to a populated area? I will conceded that Abandoned City District is a bit clunkily convenient.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Has this been brought up yet? The latest issue of Cinefex has a VFX breakdown of the movie and says:

quote:

The station fight climaxes with Superman seizing a grappling hook on his adversary's utility belt and smashing Batman into pillars in the station atrium. Patrick Tatopoulos' team dressed dummy pillars into the location, pre- and post-destruction. MPC rebuilt the set as a digital environment and animated the swing using digi-doubles, stunt-vis reference, and Kali destruction.

Lois intercedes, preventing Superman from killing Batman by making the two heroes aware that Luthor has manipulated their rivalry - part of which involves the kidnapping of Kal-El's human foster mother, Martha Kent (Diane Lane), as a distraction to events unfolding in Heroes Park. Superman's pursuit of Luthor then plays out in parallel with a bravura action sequence in which Batman summons his Batwing to mount an assault on gangsters holding Martha hostage.

Was Superman originally going to win the fight and Lois was the one who soothed his anger and calmed the situation? That would play into the "Lois is his world" theme, but I'm guessing the uproar of an angry, destructive Superman who was about to kill Batman would be even greater than the boos about Martha & Martha.

I think it was briefly brought up earlier in the thread, but if anyone is interested in special effects, I would suggest Cinefex magazine. They have an iPad version that's only $5 per issue and it comes out quarterly. For example, Issue 146 includes BVS, Deadpool, Hail Caesar, The 5th Wave, and Gods of Egypt. Each movie gets about 30-35 pages detailing how the film was made and it includes a bunch of photos showing behind the scenes stuff, work in progress, interviews, quotes, etc. For really hit movies, like Jurassic Park or T2, they get an entire issue by themselves. It's really neat to see everything dissected and the perspective at the time. They have issues dating back to 1980 and they're all available in the iPad app for only $5 each.

Issue 1 - Star Trek: TMP, Alien
Issue 6 - Dragonslayer, Raiders of the Lost Ark, "CGI"
Issue 17 - Ghostbusters, The Last Star Fighter
Issue 21 - The Terminator, Dune
Issue 27 - Aliens
Issue 28 - The Fly, Big Trouble in Little China, Short Circuit
etc.

I mean, they cover everything from my childhood. Tremors, Back to the Future, Aliens, Predator, Robocop, Star Wars, Star Trek, Batman, Terminator, Jurassic Park, ID4, Beetlejuice, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Gremlins, etc. And all of their old issues have been scanned in high-res and formatted for tablets so it all reads well. I just recently found out about their iPad app and their archives being available for only $5, so I'm shouting their praises from the rooftops every chance I get. With how rough the FX industry is, I'm always scared that they're going to go out of business.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

So just to get this straight:

Your smart plan is for Superman to become very confused and begin thinking that the scout ship he took a tour of in the previous film is a genocide weapon. And, in his confusion, the smart thing to do would be to become really paranoid and attack Metropolis in order to prevent a nonexistent zombie apocalypse.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is actually a good example of distorted fan expectations: this persistent question of "why didn't Superman..." is based on the presumption that the character can do anything, and therefore the universe is an expression of his will.

To be fair Grant Morrison's Superman (very well known through All Star Superman) is written exactly that way, on purpose. The trick is to realize that this isn't Morrison's Superman.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 17, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RBA Starblade posted:

Superman trusting humanity doesn't really go in line with him hiding forbidden knowledge from them.

Plus remember: He's not any more intelligent than an average person. A scientist working for the government probably knows more about the ship from day 1 than he does.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Superman took that leap of faith last movie and was ultimately proven correct in doing so.

This is a character that is persistent in doing the right thing despite it being the much more difficult path. And is eventually rewarded for doing so.

It is an incredibly uplifting humanistic interpretation.

Unlike others.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 17, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lord Krangdar posted:

To be fair Grant Morrison's Superman (very well known through All Star Superman) is written exactly that way, on purpose. The trick is to realize that this isn't Morrison's Superman.

I'd argue he's not written that way at all.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'd argue he's not written that way at all.

Really? Like in Final Crisis (especially the Superman Beyond tie-ins) he realizes that the cosmology of their universe (or multiverse) is fundamentally narrative-based, and to make good win he can directly re-write the story to have a happy ending. So yeah, "the universe is an expression of his will".

In All-Star Superman he creates our own universe, which allows Siegel & Shuster to create him. Again, Morrison's Superman defines his own reality.

Morrison's Action Comics run ends with Superman again rewriting reality to bring some dead astronauts, who he earlier promised but failed to save, back to life. They say about him, presumed dead at the time, "Sure, he'll come back. Even if its impossible. In fact, he'll do it because its impossible. He's Superman." That's how Morrison writes the character.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
When you said that I was assuming you were talking about it in a cheaper, wish-fulfillment sort of way. But that, I would agree with!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Remember the rumor about the R-cut getting a theatrical release? El Mayimbe says a source told him that for that to happen the regular cut should end its run very close to the billion mark (within 30 million or so globally). This info is so odd that not even he's buying it.

But hey, strangers things have happened.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's not unheard of. The Dark Knight actually concluded its run at 998 million and WB re-released it just to push it over.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Remember the rumor about the R-cut getting a theatrical release? El Mayimbe says a source told him that for that to happen the regular cut should end its run very close to the billion mark (within 30 million or so globally). This info is so odd that not even he's buying it.

But hey, strangers things have happened.

I kinda assumed that was implicit in putting the movie back in theaters. The billion mark is such a big deal that if there's a way for them to push BvS over it, they'll do it, and the director's cut is a very convenient method of doing so.

It would have to be really loving close to make it though, I would almost think that $30 million would be too big a gap to overcome, unless they literally release the director's cut everywhere in the world, and even then it would be close. It's gonna be over $150 million away from that at the end of this weekend, I don't see it getting $120 million in the rest of its run. I'm a bit pessimistic, I honestly don't know if it's gonna break the 900 million mark, especially with Jungle Book and Civil War hanging around.

Pirate Jet posted:

It's not unheard of. The Dark Knight actually concluded its run at 998 million and WB re-released it just to push it over.

Yeah, but they rereleased it in January around Oscar time partially in an effort to get it some more nominations/attention for awards season, and it was in under 400 theaters. When Anchorman 2 had something similar it only made another $2 million.

IMO they should release the Bluray on July 8th (only weekend in that month where there's no competition from another event movie; the week before is Tarzan, the weeks after have Ghostbusters, Star Trek and Jason Bourne) and have a one week only release of the R-rated cut in theaters at the same time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Finally saw the movie. It was a mess and I didn't particularly like it. They probably should have just left that Lex scene in the movie because loving everything else is jammed in there.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Equeen posted:

What could have been...

I can't believe we were deprived of such wonderful lines like, "You thought a pair of glasses could fool the world's greatest detective?" and "Tell that to Zod's snapped neck."

Somehow it's still slightly better than all of Superman's lines in the actual movie. All 43 of them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/4f9ivz/superman_only_has_a_total_of_43_lines_of_dialogue/

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Somehow it's still slightly better than all of Superman's lines in the actual movie. All 43 of them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/4f9ivz/superman_only_has_a_total_of_43_lines_of_dialogue/

This is exactly as worthwhile as the people who worked out exactly how long Godzilla was on screen for.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg WĂŒÂ¡RAĂŒÂ¸NG[/read]

Did you know Godzilla has no spoken lines in almost all the films he appears in?!??!?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Paladinus posted:

If it was 43 good lines, it could be fine, but they're so bland my eyes glazed over half way through and I had to take break to relieve the boredom. They have no personality.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hbomberguy posted:

Did you know Godzilla has no spoken lines in almost all the films he appears in?!??!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4i3X9KMUkY

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
"Hey everybody, here I am landing on Capital Hill to attend these hearings. It's pretty cool bcuz I totes don't need to do this, you know? Like, what would they do, arrest me?"

"Here I am walking down this hall. Man all these army guys look scared of me, lol."

"Ok here I am at this podium, go ahead and make your speech or whatever while I stand here docile and take all your trash talk even though I still totes don't have to. Can't you see how all of this fills out my character?"

There, there's 3 more lines he could have said, bringing the total to 46.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

GORDON posted:

"Hey everybody, here I am landing on Capital Hill to attend these hearings. It's pretty cool bcuz I totes don't need to do this, you know? Like, what would they do, arrest me?"

"Here I am walking down this hall. Man all these army guys look scared of me, lol."

"Ok here I am at this podium, go ahead and make your speech or whatever while I stand here docile and take all your trash talk even though I still totes don't have to. Can't you see how all of this fills out my character?"

You forgot to add to some sassy quips, 2/10. Nice try, though.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

GORDON posted:

While I agree counting lines of dialogue is a pretty silly criticism, the congressional hearings especially were a colossal missed opportunity to have Superman explain himself to the world and the viewer.

It was one of the scenes I was most looking forward to from the trailer, and it was disappointing that it just turned out to be all set up for a shock value moment that is barely addressed at all afterwards.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The whole point of that scene is Lex denying Superman from having a voice during that Senate hearing.

The whole movie is about everyone's reactions and misperceptions of Superman with Lex deliberately playing on those fears and explicitly preventing Superman from ever getting the chance to explain himself.

I'll admit I was also almost looking forward to a big Superman speech where he finally tells the world just what he's all about but Lex's gambit is a masterstroke that works perfectly and fulfils the themes of the film much better.

Not to mention the entire plan hinges on Superman's own fears and insecurities as it can only be pulled off by him avoiding looking at Wallace out of shame or at the very least not using his x-ray vision out of trust.

A key part of this film is that Superman's actions speak louder than his words. All these montages and speeches and rhetoric about him are overlaying a montage of him doing selfless acts to save the people around him. He ultimately proves himself through his act of sacrificing himself to save the world. He doesn't need a speech to show the world his story because anyone with half a brain can see that while Superman could do all sorts of cruel, tyrannical actions that overstep his bounds his actual actions involve good samaritan acts instead. Which is why Lex, who is basically all talk by comparison, is ultimately wrong about him.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

The whole point of that scene is Lex denying Superman from having a voice during that Senate hearing.

The whole movie is about everyone's reactions and misperceptions of Superman with Lex deliberately playing on those fears and explicitly preventing Superman from ever getting the chance to explain himself.

I'll admit I was also almost looking forward to a big Superman speech where he finally tells the world just what he's all about but Lex's gambit is a masterstroke that works perfectly and fulfils the themes of the film much better.

Not to mention the entire plan hinges on Superman's own fears and insecurities as it can only be pulled off by him avoiding looking at Wallace out of shame or at the very least not using his x-ray vision out of trust.

A key part of this film is that Superman's actions speak louder than his words. All these montages and speeches and rhetoric about him are overlaying a montage of him doing selfless acts to save the people around him. He ultimately proves himself through his act of sacrificing himself to save the world. He doesn't need a speech to show the world his story because anyone with half a brain can see that while Superman could do all sorts of cruel, tyrannical actions that overstep his bounds his actual actions involve good samaritan acts instead. Which is why Lex, who is basically all talk by comparison, is ultimately wrong about him.

It's too bad Superman didn't know any reporters who would be willing to write positive things about him or share what happened in the desert.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Yep, and the more I think about that, I feel like it would be a waste to have him give a John Galt speech at the Capitol. Cavill plays it all in his face! Good Superman.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

ghostwritingduck posted:

It's too bad Superman didn't know any reporters who would be willing to write positive things about him or share what happened in the desert.

Gee I wonder what Lois was doing throughout the movie when she was trying to get to the bottom of the whole affair.

Unless you mean Clark, who is much more interested in going after what he feels are more important issues than giving himself better PR.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Gee I wonder what Lois was doing throughout the movie when she was trying to get to the bottom of the whole affair.

Unless you mean Clark, who is much more interested in going after what he feels are more important issues than giving himself better PR.

I wonder too. I mean, I don't get how she keeps her job if people don't believe her when she says Superman didn't shoot a bunch of people with guns.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Your smart plan is for Superman to become very confused and begin thinking that the scout ship he took a tour of in the previous film is a genocide weapon.

My smart plan is to maybe keep tabs on the thing in case someone finds a bad thing and tries to make an abomination unto the lord after making a deal with satan, or something. Then again, what are the odds of that happening? At least there's totally nothing else in there that could cause a problem in the future. That was probably it.

quote:

Plus remember: He's not any more intelligent than an average person. A scientist working for the government probably knows more about the ship from day 1 than he does.

He was tricked by Batman walking five feet to his left. Not that I'm upset that he's an idiot or anything, he just is one in the movie.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 18, 2016

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Perfect isn't really the word I would use for Lex's gambit. It doesn't help that his overall plan is so convoluted, requiring so many people to react exactly how they are supposed to and to be at just the right places at the right times that it veers into pants-on-head retarded at times.

I don't see what Lex gains at all from denying Clark a chance to speak at the hearing, especially since it's barely addressed at all afterwards and ultimately he's banking on Batman or Doomsday to kill Supes in a matter of days regardless.

Sure, Lex needs Holly Hunter out of the way, but surely that could have been accomplished in a way that would be less likely to be traced back to him, and less obviously not Superman's doing.

So in the end it was another wasted opportunity for those of us who went into the film expecting an ideological struggle that we didn't get much of at all. You can say that is my own fault for going in with preconceived notions and you wouldn't necessarily be wrong. However, it was billed that way in the leadup to the film and I don't feel like what we got instead was especially compelling.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't mind if Superman is Man of Few Words. It's odd considering the movie is about him, but that's fine. You can't measure the quality of the script by number of lines. I think what the person means to say is that they're disappointed that the dialogue he has isn't particularly memorable. I remember a lot about Batman and get quite a bit of his character from the things he said. It all centralizes around the fact that he is tired. Superman not so much. The movie is more about everyone projecting onto him when he just wants to take baths with Lois and poo poo. Which is the point of the movie and hey, maybe that's why he doesn't have much dialogue. Unfortunately, telling the story that way leaves us with a bland main character that few people are sad to see die. Most people are excited for the solo movies of the other two leads.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

quote:

Next time they shine your light in the sky, don't go to it. The bat is dead. Bury it. Consider this mercy.

Like goddamn why is this film so overwrought and bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm just here for the kryptonite.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RBA Starblade posted:

He was tricked by Batman walking five feet to his left. Not that I'm upset that he's an idiot or anything, he just is one in the movie.

"I'm afraid I didn't see it because I wasn't looking."

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

SonicRulez posted:

Unfortunately, telling the story that way leaves us with a bland main character that few people are sad to see die. Most people are excited for the solo movies of the other two leads.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's actually perfectly normal for people that they don't mourn a fictional character. Especially when the movie makes clear that he's not really dead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Actually, it's normal they do. Considering how much people lose their poo poo every time a character dies in The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.

People take fictional death super seriously now.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Actually, it's normal they do. Considering how much people lose their poo poo every time a character dies in The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.

That is their problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

What else is there to pay attention to on The Walking Dead? The writing?

• Locked thread