Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I love this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

G0RF posted:

I need to get up in that there new fangled cybertech...

Have you logged chats from recent episodes?

Yeah here's the chatlog for RtV on 19th of Feb.
http://pastebin.com/0it83Pba

Got any videos you wanted specifically?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Restoration Hardware chairs are the best

http://gfycat.com/inconsequentialsizzlingharvestmen

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
[QUESTION] Can we get a "10 for Sandy Gardiner" ?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Please let this gain momentum

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

I can't wait for this poo poo heap to collapse and someone within cig starts spilling the beans on sandi. Like poo poo we don't already know like her retarded resume and attitude in beers emails. I can only imagine what happens behind closed doors there.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sandi probably leaves junk food on ben's desk while he's away and hides around the corner to see what happens when he gets back to his office.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Hello Stimperial Shitizens! Did you know there is SC fanfiction out there (that isn't written by goons)? Well, there is! Some of it even comes in poetry form!

This loving Guy posted:

I stand on the deck in the void of deep space,
And yet my frame does not feel cold.
My flight suit, the stars, the glow of Vega,
I just stand and watch things unfold.

Deep in Kurasawa, beset by vanduul,
From our homeworlds we are all far.
And yet I don't feel cold, nor feel alone,
Because I'm bathed in the light of the stars.

Space looks the same, there's no proper sun,
No atmosphere filtering rays.
But way out here, in the depths of space,
I'm content to spend all my days.

The author has a colossal profile, dwarfed only by his Fanfiction Wiki page. (RIP your scroll wheel.) "Does he have My Little Pony poetry?" I hear you ask. "Of course he does, you fool!" I reply. He's also written possibly the worst super scary Missingno. fic I've ever read, and I have read a few.

Unfortunately (?) there are only five fanfics on FF.net and a paltry one on AO3. Most of them are tedious, poorly written, but more than anything, bland. I'm tempted to dig up my old FF.net trolling account details and submit the Heartbreaking Truths of the Fourth Stimpire but :effort:

I don't have the cojones to search Adult Fan Fiction for SC... yet.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 24, 2016

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Hello Stimperial Shitizens! Did you know there is SC fanfiction out there (that isn't written by goons)? Well, there is! Some of it even comes in poetry form!

The author has a colossal profile, dwarfed only by his Fanfiction Wiki page. (RIP your scroll wheel.) "Does he have My Little Pony poetry?" I hear you ask. "Of course he does, you fool!" I reply. He's also written possibly the worst super scary Missingno. fic I've ever read, and I have read a few.

Unfortunately (?) there are only five fanfics on FF.net and a paltry one on AO3. Most of them are tedious, poorly written, but more than anything, bland. I'm tempted to dig up my old FF.net trolling account details and submit the Heartbreaking Truths of the Fourth Stimpire but :effort:

I don't have the cojones to search Adult Fan Fiction for SC... yet.

Wasn't there a bunch of fan art about star citizen posted a while ago? poo poo that ranged from hilarious to pathetic.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah here's the chatlog for RtV on 19th of Feb.
http://pastebin.com/0it83Pba

G0RF fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 2, 2016

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
If I understand correctly, Chris Roberts has gone on the record and said Freespace (1 or 2) was not his favorite?

I seriously don't get it, because when I was a kid, I was absolutely enthralled by the storyline of 2, because it was about humanity learning from the mistakes of the 1st game, and thinking they were more than prepared in case their greatest enemy from the 1st game ever returned, and if you keep playing till the end, it makes it real clear that you never had a chance to begin with, and it's not about matching your opponent, but cutting your loses.

Freespace deserves a continuation.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Ash1138 posted:

Please let this gain momentum

Someone with a RSI forums account need to post a heart breaking sob story about his best friend/brother/father who also was morbidly obese and then was taken from him after a long struggle and having his legs amputated because of diabetes. Make sure to point out that being a fatass is a serious disease and that the people effected deserve all the sympathy and respect for their hard struggle and the cruel fate they were dealt.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
How the gently caress you so fat your eye gives up on you

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Not joking, people who wish for the second coming of gaming jesus christ through this game, and not taking care of themselves should look for a reality check.

This is way worse than people playing World of Warcraft with no regard for their health. It's real obvious because at least with WoW, everyone knows the jig is up, and there's so many things out there.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Samizdata posted:

Both haggis AND tripe are like anything else - Do it right, your tongue thanks you while orgasming. Do it wrong, and you will regret it, potentially for the rest of your life.

Haggis I don't know, but you can't defend tripe when the basic rule of cooking it is to pack as many other over powering flavours in the dish as well to make the tripe palatable

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

G0RF posted:

Reverse the Verse 64 would be interesting. I have a couple of screen grabs but I'd love to see that whole thing...

I realize that's a ways back. Does this plugin require you to grab it in real time or are the chat logs embedded in twitch somewhere and extractable after the fact?

Actually looks like CIG went out and purged some of the classics since last I checked. They probably read about some of the gems we turned out while dumpster diving and had them removed... Stuff like tattoed Ssndi's 'feral viper' audition blathering looked pretty bad in the post-Escapist landscape. Too bad we downloaded that stuff already!

Yeah, nah that's too far back. I'm using this https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/rechat-for-twitch/ipplilmaapjjklilmmaccfemdmhkoacd?hl=en so it can be grabbed from vods, but I have to sit there with the stream muted if I want the entire log.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Romes128 posted:

Being that obese does so much horrible nightmare poo poo to your body :smith: I come from a "big" family and my Granny dying at 70 (a very young age for a well-off white woman in Australia) of illnesses directly caused by and exacerbated by her weight was what made me decide to actually get in shape and Eat Good. In the last few years of her life she was basically unable to walk unaided and it was so obvious how painful that was for her. Sandi is a huge shithead for taunting Ben and co. like that. That was where my last shred of sympathy for her evaporated.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
Is it just me or was Lando giving the audience the "listen to her loving bullshit" look as Sandi was telling her story about the photographer starting around 23.39?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfY_l_UyB1w&t=1419s

The timing of that look and when Sandi started telling the story couldn't be a coincident surely.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
My brother's friend is a paramedic in central Australia. He told us about a diabetic woman whose flesh had fallen off her feet after she soaked them in water for 3 days straight to help with the pain.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Romes128 posted:

Oh, I can help with this, actually!

ELISE THE GREAT TO THE RESCUE

http://www.endofshiftreport.com/2015/07/a-colleague-of-mine-related-tale-of-pt.html

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Shrinkage posted:

Is it just me or was Lando giving the audience the "listen to her loving bullshit" look as Sandi was telling her story about the photographer starting around 23.39?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfY_l_UyB1w&t=1419s

The timing of that look and when Sandi started telling the story couldn't be a coincident surely.
I was assuming he was partly playing up his comic annoyance.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 2, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

X-Wing also didn't tell you when you had failed a mission until you finished it. :negative:

Sounds like immersion to me!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

People who can't create, critique.

Derek Smart and Chris Roberts, two sides of the same coin.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

Haha, loving Knights of Sidonia. Its second season is one of the few things worse than Star Citizen.

Yep, the kawaii tentacleship that may or may not have eaten their team mate is a curious addition.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thronde fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 24, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Derek Smart and Chris Roberts, two sides of the same coin.

Yeah I've never had patience for that worldview myself.

By the same logic, most of this thread is debunked because most of the posters aren't game developers, and don't have the background needed to critique SC.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

"gently caress Ryan Davis. No, seriously." -- Sandi Gardiner, 2016

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

derek never talk about your game in this thread again imo

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

derek never talk about your game in this thread again imo

That poo poo's been tried before, he went and made the LoD thread. But he doesn't get enough attention there.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BigglesSWE posted:

By the same logic, most of this thread is debunked because most of the posters aren't game developers, and don't have the background needed to critique SC.

There are plenty of groups like QA testers or focus groups that help with a game's development by testing and critiquing the various aspects of a product. (And they don't create poo poo)

Come on, Derek, don't be dense.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 24, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
And the problem with LoD's visuals isn't that they're not ~high fidelity~ it's that they look like the best graphics of last decade, not modest graphics of this one. The idea of "graphics aren't everything!" is a battle that's already been fought. There are plenty of indie games with modest graphics that don't look ugly. You needed a different art style.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

So perfect.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

D_Smart posted:

Because that demographic aren't fickle. That's why flight combat sims are still around and making money for those making them.

First, I don't have employees. I never did. Everyone who works for me, some for over a decade, are paid contractors (individuals or entire studios).

Second, I don't see what paying contractors have to do with the quality of work. After all, I'm the one who gets to sign off on everything.

Third - and this is the part where you pay attention: unless you've actually created something, you won't know the first loving thing about priorities, sacrifice and common loving sense.

Every time I see some rear end-clown talk about "visuals" in my game, I just chuckle. This despite the fact, for almost three decades now, those who know me, know that I have always put game play dynamics over visuals. Having the best visuals never - ever - guarantees a good game. Let alone one that has any replay value.

For every 1 person who knocks the visuals in any of my games, my guess is there are 10 more who don't mind it. Can't please everyone and I don't care to try.

People who can't create, critic. That's how it goes. That stuff doesn't bother me because, well, I get to do what I want to do (make games) on my own loving terms. All day. Every day.

Contract me and I'll fix your visuals. Won't even take over a decade.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"I loving hate my userbase. Why do they always complain that poo poo is missing from my games? All I ever hear is that "other" game is breaking the mold and pushing the boundaries of whats possible! No matter, I'll show those idiots how a real game is made; maybe I'll throw in a few things every couple of patches to appease them.

Just you wait and see, history will prove me right!"

-Derek Smart

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah, that's largely a poo poo argument. You can say an opinion holds less weight without being an expert in some field, but that argument is just an attempt to completely remove the possibility of criticism outside of it being from a chosen group.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And the problem with LoD's visuals isn't that they're not ~high fidelity~ it's that they look like the best graphics of last decade, not modest graphics of this one. The idea of "graphics aren't everything!" is a battle that's already been fought. There are plenty of indie games with modest graphics that don't look ugly. You needed a different art style.

It's like watching old-school PS1/N64 games that were once considered graphical marvels at their time and them comparing them to the best of the SNES and the later wins hands down nowadays, just because their style worked with the limitations of the console. It was really not until the PS2 was well established that you began to see modern games that had timeless good looks.

LoD looks ugly as sin not because the engine sucks but because the art style is ugly as sin.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Differo Cathedra posted:

Yeah, that's largely a poo poo argument. You can say an opinion holds less weight without being an expert in some field, but that argument is just an attempt to completely remove the possibility of criticism outside of it being from a chosen group.

Well sure, if I want to check if Stephen Hawkings' theory on black holes hold up, I would ask an expert in the field and not the gasstation attendant down the street.

But a creator disregarding the opinions of consumers because they are just that; consumers and not creators?

That's not just arrogant and petty, it's downright suicidal for your monetary enterprises.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

The excitement over 2.2 is palpable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Jobbo_Fett posted:

"I loving hate my userbase. Why do they always complain that poo poo is missing from my games? All I ever hear is that "other" game is breaking the mold and pushing the boundaries of whats possible! No matter, I'll show those idiots how a real game is made; maybe I'll throw in a few things every couple of patches to appease them.

Just you wait and see, history will prove me right!"

-Derek Smart

Some obscure game called WoW tried that ~*~ONLY OUR VISION MATTERS~*~ crap and only ended up losing a 5 million subs.

• Locked thread