Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

CBJSprague24 posted:

I feel like the nine biggest teams in the sport for all intents and purposes unionizing against NASCAR may finally scare them to the point that the dumbassery will have to stop. Despite all the money the France family has, I can't imagine they're going to allow CART/IRL because it'll affect their ability to continue to make more money.

As Sheheen said to me at the airport the other day, "If they get something that doesn't work out, they'll change it" (though that was in response to me asking how he thought the new Chase would wind up).

When NASCAR suddenly makes Mike Helton available on a Friday to the media to have him say "Hrmph, we're not mad at them. There's no animosity.", it makes you feel like they're sitting up in their seats now.

Yeah this could be the first time in its existence NASCAR could really see a challenge to its dominance of American stock car racing. NASCAR is a shadow of the 800lb gorilla it was in the early 2000's, and to a tee the RTA represents every team that is responsible for putting on "The Show" every sunday. It's not a terrible stretch to say that NASCAR truly does need them as much as they need NASCAR, unless everybody is ready for an all-out, terribly unprofitable war. (Hint: they aren't)

I agree that they won't ever go the full CART path, two of the owners know personally what a clusterfuck that was and everyone else in the room sat and watched as indy burn to ash. It won't come to open revolt and nobody's going to start demanding things suddenly.That said, I always try to remember that organizations like the RTA may start with the best of intentions but they also don't tend to give concessions of power back once they get them. There could be benefit in having more of a binary governance system, or this could be what everybody looks back at in 20 years as the beginning of the end. Who the hell knows let's just enjoy cars going round in circles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

This right here is the correct attitude and the people not concerned about NASCAR getting smaller are these dudes.

That's an odd opinion for someone who just a page ago was saying NASCAR shouldn't run short tracks.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
This is understandably one of the greatest announcements we've ever had to make. ... After the accident on I-95, we've lost Brian France

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Top Hats Monthly posted:

This is understandably one of the greatest announcements we've ever had to make. ... After the accident on I-95 free Golden Corral buffet, we've lost Brian France

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

That's an odd opinion for someone who just a page ago was saying NASCAR shouldn't run short tracks.

where did I say that

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I agree that they won't ever go the full CART path, two of the owners know personally what a clusterfuck that was and everyone else in the room sat and watched as indy burn to ash. It won't come to open revolt and nobody's going to start demanding things suddenly.That said, I always try to remember that organizations like the RTA may start with the best of intentions but they also don't tend to give concessions of power back once they get them. There could be benefit in having more of a binary governance system, or this could be what everybody looks back at in 20 years as the beginning of the end. Who the hell knows let's just enjoy cars going round in circles
This is IMO the most important part of this: with Ganassi and especially Penske involved, they have two guys who know first-hand how to go from trying to improve a series to destroying it. Of course it could devolve to the point where Ganassi, or especially Penske, say "got mine, gently caress y'all :smug: " anyway.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

NASCAR media is trying to make Morgan Shepherd's visit with Logano into a major story this morning. Jesus Christ, give it a break.

They're selectively forgetting when Smoke punted Andy Hillenburg at Darlington in 2004. Andy, a contender for LASTCAR when it really started to ramp up, as our statistician can attest, spun back into the groove and Gordon plowed into him because he had nowhere to go. Gordon was also running second.

As much as I hate his presence there, how about Kyle Busch getting dumped by a slow car at Bristol in Nationwide in 2009? Or what about GAH Tim Schendel cutting a tire at Texas and collecting Kyle?

poo poo happens, that's racin', and until you get a full field of cars that won't be 15 laps down, this is a danger.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
http://www.lucasoilraceway.com/apcm/templates/racedivisions.asp?articleid=60140&zoneid=95

Are you loving kidding me kyle.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

where did I say that

Like I said, a page or so ago.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

At least it's IRP? :suicide:

Our Man Spence, you know what to do.

e- Ok, maybe it's NOT the ARCA race.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Its the development series to ARCA, which tells you how bad Kyle is gonna curbstomp everyone.

Two years ago there was a hilarious 10-car wreck in turn 1 with those guys.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 14, 2014

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Kyle Bush in ARCA is the best thing ever. And I'm heavily against buschwacking, but its just too amazing.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Warming up his cheated-up SLM for Berlin raceway.

E: CRA was decent, then they sold it to ARCA and now it is poo poo.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Aaand the IMS Nationwide race will henceforth be known as the Diabetes 250. Sounds about right. :laugh:

https://twitter.com/IMS/status/488760104708100096

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

devmd01 posted:

Aaand the IMS Nationwide race will henceforth be known as the Diabetes 250. Sounds about right. :laugh:

https://twitter.com/IMS/status/488760104708100096

Because watching NNS at IMS is akin to having diabetes?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Because most of the people you see at a NASCAR race are fat.

And that's just the officials, let alone the fans!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

it's almost as if promoters pay top tier drivers to drum up attendance

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The NHRA couldn't promote oval events for Lucas oil raceway to save their life. Literally zero marketing for any of their oval events ever, the most I've ever seen is the billboard that's on 465 right now.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Why would the NHRA promote oval racing?

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Peanut President posted:

Why would the NHRA promote oval racing?

Because they own an oval track and would probably like to make money from the racing that goes on there.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

True or False: I could redneck up some sort of half-assed dirt track in a local park, and Kyle would race it the night before Watkins Glen.

I'd put good money down on him trying to do the double next year after seeing how Kurt did.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kwik posted:

I'd put good money down on him trying to do the double next year after seeing how Kurt did.

Honestly that would be one of the few situations I would be overjoyed to see Kyle run outside of Cup.

(the others? Running anything on Dirt, Sports Cars, or something cool like that)

The Busch Brothers would join Bobby (1970, 1971) and Donnie Allison (1973, 1975) as the 2nd pair of NASCAR drivers who were brothers to race in the Indy 500.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 15, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
There's not much difference in him doing that or running Nationwide in terms of talent.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Well this sucks, Gary Lee died within the past day or so.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

devmd01 posted:

The NHRA couldn't promote oval events for Lucas oil raceway to save their life. Literally zero marketing for any of their oval events ever, the most I've ever seen is the billboard that's on 465 right now.

This is surprising. So the biggest way fans heard about races at IRP was watching them on TV? It seemed packed when I was there in 2005 (which was the most fun I've ever had at a racetrack).

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Looks like we wont have to worry about cool color schemes in The Chase.

Mandatory. But they cant use them at the back where they'd be useful because they look too much like rookie stripes. Thank you Sprint, thank you France. Thsprance.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I kinda hope a bunch of teams don't read carefully and we get like 8 cars with their numbers being "'14"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I actually like it when they do the stripes.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

Looks like we wont have to worry about cool color schemes in The Chase.

Mandatory. But they cant use them at the back where they'd be useful because they look too much like rookie stripes. Thank you Sprint, thank you France. Thsprance.

Black Stripe, with or without yellow outline?

Realized while typing that I'm subconsciously channeling IRacing.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Can't wait for Paul Menard to run that yellow number

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

But they cant use them at the back where they'd be useful because they look too much like rookie stripes.

Because there are so many rookies in NASCAR to cause confusion.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
8 this year with a revolving set of paint schemes.

I know it's fun to launch broadsides at everything NASCAR does but seriously pick your battles. Half of you look like lunatics.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I think I've been kind of lovely toward ICS this year too, in all fairness. I barely care about both series at all right now. :frogbon:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

VikingSkull posted:

I know it's fun to launch broadsides at everything NASCAR does but seriously pick your battles. Half of you look like lunatics.

Consider the source.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion Driver Name

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I hate what has happened to this sport

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

Thanks for the input Viking "nascar shouldn't run short tracks" Skull.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LASTCAR posted:

2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion Driver Name

What's his nickname?

I know he's racing in SuperTex's 14, so we got that much of the grid finished.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

shyduck posted:

I hate what has happened to this sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
We need to collaborate and yell at NASCAR with one voice. No more personal vendettas guys.

We have to figure out the number 1 wrong thing with NASCAR, first.

I'll put forward the clear lack of Steven Wallace in the top tier series.

• Locked thread