Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What's that, sandvich Maxwell? Kill them all? OOOOOOOKAY!

On balance you're probably preventing a messy self-destruction by getting there first, so it's not the worst default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
One thing I really liked is the opposing dynamics between certain characters in this stretch of the game. We've only seen the first hints of it, so I'll hold off on talking about it, but for now I'll just say there are some interesting similarities and differences between Jude, Milla, Gaius, and Muzet.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Sorry about not doing thread cleanup stuff, I've been a little distracted by how tree pollen (the stuff that I'm particularly allergic to) is now almost double the threshold for "Very High" pollen concentration established by my state Division of Air Quality.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

CH28: The Tragedy of Bad Scaling, and that Other Thing

: The ad-hoc organization of the pursuit of me meant there was nothing to stop Jude between the seahaven and the mountain. Well, except this big idiot.
: Hey!

: Hey! It's the little guy with the big mouth!
: Ivar? What are you doing here?
: Did Gaius and Muzét come this way?
: Is everything okay?
: Not just them. Wingul headed to the Hallowmont, as well.
He also left me with a little message.
Jude may come after us. Deal with him as you wish.
: I was gonna let that guy off easy 'cause he looks good in black, but now he's on my hit list!
: Heh heh heh. So Gaius abandoned you, huh?
: I don't expect you to understand our circumstance, but please, we don't have time for this right now!
: Silence!
: ......
: Jude came here to finish what Milla started!
: None of that matters anymore, understand?!
: What?
: Jude, why did it always have to be you?!

: Everyone, go on ahead.
: We will have to refuse.
: Guys?
: Hah! You can't even fight your own battles. You coward!
: Jude just told you that we don't have time for this.
: That's right! He has something he needs to do. We all do!
: If you would interfere with Jude, then you would interfere with us.
: We will pass!
: We'll see about that!
: It's amazing how much you suck. Everyone can see it, so you anger and alienate all of them eventually. Only animals are dumb enough to let you hang around.
: Sh-shut it!

So this fight is kind of a pain, mostly due to the difficulty slider affecting how the staggering mechanic works. How easy it is to break the "iron stance" of a boss is effected by how high their Vitality is versus how high your Strength is. The difference in Ivar's vitality between normal and hard is about 2/3 of Jude's entire strength. You can see the problem. Since strength doesn't scale very well for me (IIRC it's quite rare for equipment to alter it directly), this can create a massive problem, where Moderate is too easy but Hard is "me being stunlocked constantly". TLDR I'd rather be playing Graces. Even Solomus couldn't just prance around for whole seconds while we beat on him.

So I make two mistakes here, counting "playing on Hard" as a mistake. The second is focusing Ivar down first, despite the Wyvern having 25k more max HP than him.

Since the last fight, he's learned an Arcane Arte called Crushing Eagle.

It has a good area of effect, but we're actually passively resisting most elements just from skills. The wyvern's charge right after drops Jude and Leia. It's pretty annoying when they both gang up on Jude. I'm pretty sure the Wyvern uses standard NPC AI, but Ivar has a hate-on for Jude.

The wyvern can spit clouds of poison, which linger in the area.

So this is what I meant earlier by it being a mistake to focus Ivar, he's a lot smaller, a lot dodgier, and as you can see here it took a goddamn linked arte to break his Iron Stance.

Soulstoke Spin is Leia's Arcane Arte, it ignites the edges of the staff with energy, then spins it around smacking dudes.

Arcane Arte means Mystic Arte! Here's Leia's, Soulstoke Celebration.

It starts out a lot like Soulstoke Spin, but keeps going.

...into a diving attack...

...that cracks the goddamn earth.

Ivar has an Arcane Arte AND an overlimit, that means...

Could be worse.

I tried to pull off Elize's Mystic Arte, but couldn't quite get it to go off for some reason or another. Maybe next update.

See that purple flame over Ivar's head? We managed to inflict a status ailment on a boss with our elemental attacks. Pop the goddamn champaign.

His tendency to attack Jude means he misses the opportunity to kill either Rowen or Elize here.

Homing Venom kicks people and then poisons that area? Weird.

Dammit Elize/Rowen, I wanted that Linked Arte trigger. It's like Muzet's gravity well, except with a bigger opportunity cost if the enemy decides to, say, run out of it.

After he goes down the wyvern is pretty easy.

: Ivar lost. Bad.
: Why?!

: I'm the handmaid! I had a sacred duty to protect Lady Milla! I'm special! Special, I tell you!
: You're special alright.
: Neither of us are special. Not yet anyway, Ivar.
: What did you say?
: But, that doesn't mean that I don't want to learn how to be like them. Just like Milla and Gaius.
: Someone like you will never be like them! You're the one who let Lady Milla die!
: Ivar, you loved her, too.
If I really were special, then maybe I might have actually been able to save her.
: I'm sorry.
: The Hallowmont is right beyond the shrine.
: Ivar?
: Go! Just go! Get out of my sight once and for all!
: He got out of our sight first!
: Ivar must've been tortured by all this.
: We may have just given him some bitter medicine.
: I hope you're right. I look forward to seeing how he acts the next time we meet him.
: Who knows. There may not be a next time.
Let's go.
: Hey! Wait a minute, what's that supposed to mean?

So that rug right next to the "Save" prompt is covering the door that leads to the path to the Hallowmont. But first, we have an appointment in town.

Once I get some real money I'm going to work on that whole "difficulty" thing. Every single item there is difficulty-destroying. All those herbs let me turn gold directly into stat points. I'm not sure there's any other Tales game that lets you straight buy Hourglasses.

But first, new armor!

Skit Video: A Handmaid's Pride

: It looked to me as though Ivar's anger was mostly with himself.
: There's no loathing like self-loathing.
: I do believe you have won his approval.
: I have?
: Yes. But Ivar is a prideful man, and can ill endure the humiliation of defeat.
: That's probably why I got that feeling he won't show up again.
: You almost sound sad about that! Ivar has done nothing but yell at you.
: I certainly didn't like that part.
But, if we could have done it in a civilized fashion, it would've been nice to sit down and talk for once.
: I see.

:siren: Dungeon Video! :siren: One of the shortest dungeons, half of this is just me fighting a rather meh rare monster.

: Gaius was giving me a lot of trouble.
: You witness the depths of my suffering, Lord Maxwell.
And yet you never answer me! Why?! Why?! Why?!
Why have you forsaken me?
: You are a mighty spirit, and yet you are unable to think for yourself.
: I will not let you reach Lord Maxwell! His defense is all I have left!

: I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, as they say, in that state.
: Foolish. No, pitiful.

: At that point, I bugged out and Gaius followed.
: Was that them fighting?!
: It would seem we have witnessed but a fraction of Gaius' true strength.
: Muzét didn't seem in any condition to fight either.
: Yes, but speculating on the matter will get us nowhere.
We must hurry on.
: It seems like we can find Maxwell here, too.
: Yeah, we're on the right path.

Skit Video: Muzét Adrift

: It isn't easy to lose the person who guides you.
You don't know what you're supposed to do. You lose what little confidence you have in yourself.
: Hey...
: It'd just be easier to do nothing.
: Wouldn't that be okay?
: I couldn't respect myself if I chose that path.

: This must be the summit.
: What's with this place? The air feels all tingly!

: No way.

: What are you doing here?
: Alvin? We could ask you the same question.
: Fair enough.
: And I see you're not alone.
: Looks like we don't have to play nice anymore. Can't say I'm sad.
: Ah ha ha! That means I get to pound you to a pulp again!
Hey pimple! How'd it feel when your buddy here shot you?
: Knock it off, Agria.
: Ah ha ha ha ha!
: I'm afraid your journey ends here.
: I'm afraid you are mistaken.
We will not be so easily stopped. I must help Jude meet with Maxwell.
: Rowen?
: The reason people are drawn to Milla and Gaius is their will and conviction.
They have the ability to live their lives as true adults.
:Ah ha ha! You sure couldn't, huh gramps?
: As embarrassing as it is to admit, you are correct. But, it is never too late. People can always change.
Isn't that right, Alvin?
: I can't give you an answer to that.
: Enough with the lecture, gramps. You get to feed the worms first.

: It surprised everyone, but apparently there was a moral bone in Alvin's body.
: Al?
: No, I just...
: You make a better door than a window, stud. Move!

: Agria! Why are you doing this?
: Put a sock in it!
Clean out that earwax 'cause I'll only say it once. I won't turn against His Highness!
: I know you're with me on this. We got nowhere else to turn.
: Yes, you're right.
When everyone else treated us like scum, he took us in. He allowed us by his side.
: Presa...
: I'm sorry, Al.
But not even you will get past us!
: Either we do our job, or we wind up in the trash again!

: Unfortunately, they'd been set on a collision course.

So as a Chimaeriad fight, these two will spend a lot of time linked. Since they're both casters, that means they'll also stand next to each other. At least there's no penalty for hitting people with an element they resist.

Fire Djinn will periodically spawn in. I think they stop doing so if Agria goes down.

I hate it when enemies use Flame Ring, it makes me stand there waiting.

Raging Mist is Agria and Presa's Linked Arte, it combines water and fire damage as shown there. I think it first appeared as a spell Genis used in Symphonia.

Also they spam it nonstop sometimes.

Dragonmare Head summons a blue dragon head from Presa's book, which breaths out a torrent of water. It's an Arcane Arte, so watch out.

Agria seems to be way worse at pulling off the bullshit "never get interrupted" thing previous bosses did. I guess because she and Presa aren't giant Vitality tanks or something.

Of course, I say that and now she's tanking multiple weakness hits without losing Iron Stance.

Agria's Flare Bomb appears to have multiple hits all at once.

Thanks, Mystic Arte cutin, for giving us that view of Presa's chest.

Dragonmare Brood sends out a pair of dragon spirits or something to pass through us and cause damage.

I'm not 100% sure on the shape of its AOE, but note Jude and Elize being totally fine.

I switch in Rowen but I can't get his Mystic Arte to go off, not sure why.

Agria's Mystic Arte is still a thing.

Between our new armor and the fact that we're passively reducing damage from basically all elements by a fair chunk from the skill system, it's actually pretty hard for them to kill even one of us. That was a Mystic Arte that hit 3 people and couldn't kill (or knock to one hp) one of them.

Each time they Link, it transfers some HP from the higher one to the lower one, so Agria won't outlive Presa by much.

:sigh: Compare my combos in Graces to my combos here. There's something missing.

One down, one to go.

She's mostly there already.

For thematic reasons, I'm controlling Alvin.

Foxtail Fury actually attacks with the tail.

Alvin and Leia don't actually have too many Linked Artes it turns out.

Rowen has a skill called "Opportune Moment" on the last ring of his second Lillium Orb. It causes time to stop for the enemy when he backsteps with "perfect timing". It is goddamn the best.

Hell Fryer is Alvin's Arcane Arte, so you know what that means.

This part looks a little like Leia's MA.

I like how it persists onto the battlefield for a few frames.

I'm pretty sure her Guardian Field actually heals for LESS than ours. Note the swirlies on Alvin and Leia, that's motherfucking Charm from Foxtail Fury. She shook her hips at us so hard it caused us to switch sides. Nothing a Dispel can't cure, thankfully.

: Not really a fight you can feel good about.

: Al...
I'm glad we could be together again even if it was only for a little while.
: Presa... Presa, I...
: I'm happy for you, Al. Open your eyes. Now, you've found your place, as well.

: So it turns out that craggy-rear end, unstable-looking mountain was a bad place to set off all kinds of magic explosions.

: Agria!
I've got you! Now just hold on!
: Now you listen, eyesore!
Some things in this world you just can't fix, no matter how hard you keep trying to!

: Ah ha ha ha ha! Drown in despair!
: What happened to the whole "lives of the Chimaeriad belonging to his highness, don't throw them away selfishly" thing?
: Nobody ever accused Agria of being of sound mind.

: You okay?
: Yeah, don't worry. I'm fine.
: Hey, you've always tried your best even when you were a little girl.
I've lost count of all the times you've saved me because of it.
: I'm all right, Jude.
You should go try and cheer up Alvin. You're the only one who can.
: You play the martyr as well as Jude does.
: Guess that's one of the reasons why I fell for him.
: Well put.
: That's right.
: Look, I know that sometimes doing your best still isn't enough to fix everything in this world.
But, it's what I do best. It's my only real strength.
: Yes, I know that.
: Alvin, where will you go now?
: I don't know. What's it to you?
: Come with us.
: Now the kids wanna babysit me.
: Don't think that this is easy for me. I can't forget what you did to Leia.
: I'll tell her I'm sorry.
: You do that.
: Jude, don't let that big fat liar come with us! He'll just stab us in the back again!
: Heh, you don't exactly hide your feelings.
: No she doesn't! Because Elize is good and honest girl!
: It's strange. It's hard to believe how fast that kid has grown up already.
He really hates me now, doesn't he?
: That's right! And I hate you too!
: Thanks, Elize.
: What do you mean?
: You can hate me all you want, okay? It's good to know how people really feel for a change.
: Well, I hate creepy people just as much! Let's go, Teepo.
: Rowen's right. I can't stay like this.

Skit Video: Alvin's Apology

: What's with you?
: Mmmph.
: After what happened, it hasn't been easy finding my old groove again.
: I would certainly hope so.
: Yeah...
: So, you at least feel bad about it, huh?
: Well... yeah.
: Are you doing okay?
: I'm all right.
: Sorry about that.
: Don't worry about it.
: Are you really okay with me again?
: Not entirely.
: Fair enough.

So uh. People talk about the game getting rushed, and that definitely felt like "welp gotta wrap those stories up now now now" to me. It really doesn't feel cathartic and I'm not sure we know them well enough to be properly sad.

I mean, compare it to the deaths of the God Generals in Abyss. We spend way more time with them and they do way more heinous stuff. Even though we know their backstories, we're still more or less on the side of "loving die, you omnicide-supporters". It's not like anyone we liked or even knew was killed onscreen by those two.

On the other hand, we know barely anything about Presa other than "was an item with Alvin at one point". This game is just killing off its villains way too early.

So speaking of rushed, I bet there are only six more updates left in the entire game. Maybe one or two from Feinne, to tie up loose ends.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Agria actually has two different versions of Flare Bomb. It changes from single hit to multi-hit at lower HP. Bizarrely, the multi-hit version actually does less outright damage even ignoring resists. I think it's even less effective at applying Burn but that's difficult and random enough as is.

Presa's Guardian Field does .01% healing compared to normal Guardian Field's 10% or whatever. Hers is also non-elemental despite Alvin's being light-aligned.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
The whole Strength vs. Vitality Iron Stance mechanic was a bit of a poor decision, possibly (yet another) consequence of the game's hurried development. As is the enemies' ability to instantly break out of combos if you let one go on for too long.

Fortunately those are two of the big things that got fixed in Xillia 2 with one single added mechanic. The Power Hit system is a loving godsend. And I'm not just saying that because of the time I nearly wiped the final boss on the highest difficulty with a single combo (yes, Power Hit is THAT goddamn effective, and possibly broken, if you know what you're doing). The ability to break enemies out of Iron Stance more reliably coupled with the ability to keep them staggered for longer periods is something I would've loved to have in this game.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

A lot of the bonus bosses in Xillia 2 have no elemental weaknesses so you have to use a certain character's modified partner skill or wait until you get a red charge (which I think takes longer than it did in Graces).

Other than that it's pretty great, yeah.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Has Alvin beaten Kain's record for party joins/betrayals yet?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Glazius posted:

Has Alvin beaten Kain's record for party joins/betrayals yet?

I think it's pretty obvious that neither of them are even close to Revolver Ocelot. Hell, he's probably got more than the two of them combined.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bufuman posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that neither of them are even close to Revolver Ocelot. Hell, he's probably got more than the two of them combined.

REDACTED

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I can't help but love Alvin, despite the heel-face revolving door. Or perhaps because of it. I'm not sure which at this point.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Whoops, I have been forgetting to reply to a couple of these updates. I've been reading them, just forgetting to reply. I've been pretty busy lately.

wdarkk posted:

CH26: Was She Carrying Our Budget?

• Jude's a dick and Leia is a doormat. Why should she prepare more food for him right after he deliberately threw the last batch on the floor in a snit.
  • Seriously, just leave his whiny rear end behind to die, Leia. He's clearly not as into you as you are into him.
  • There really should have been a solo Leia vs. Alvin battle there. Heck, you could even have worked that in to a later fight with Jude by having Alvin's health be half of what it was in the solo battle with Jude.
  • I really don't understand all the Muzet stuff in that update. It's very unclear if that was really happening or all in Jude's head through some telepathic communication.
  • Jude expected Leia to know about that even though she wasn't in that cutscene, so I guess it was real life? And if it really happened how did Jude get away given that Muzet's clear goal is to MURDER EVERYONE. Just sloppy.
  • Also Alvin you can't say that you didn't mean to shoot Leia when you were literally shooting at her less than five minutes ago. She was lying on the wooden catwalk and you shot right at her (and missed, but not for lack of trying).

wdarkk posted:

CH27: She was Never a Person

• Maybe using the black hole weapon on the ship Jude is on would be a better idea than walking up and letting them beat on you, Muzet. Just a thought.
  • Yes, Wingul, the incompetent guards of the exact same type you've seen the party defeat while sleeping time and time again will certainly be enough to stop the party from following you.

wdarkk posted:

CH28: The Tragedy of Bad Scaling, and that Other Thing

• When did Ivar become a non-joke boss. And how come he gets a mystic arte when Gilland does not.
  • "It's starting to rain, do you want to keep going on your QUEST TO SAVE THE WORLD, or just give up?" - Uh, what the hell, Leia? That's a pathetic reason to stop. Your entire party SWAM ACROSS THE OCEAN after your ship was eaten by a black hole. I think you're waterproof.
  • That fireball to Alvin's face was less satisfying than it should have been.
  • I think the game cheated with Presa and Agria. The game wanted them to die, but didn't want their blood clearly on the hands of the party, like it would be if they killed them in battle. OOPS CONVENIENT ROCKSLIDE
  • ah ha ha Rowan just agreed that Leia is ONLY good at futile optimism. I guess he believes she sucks at everything else.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

• Jude's a dick and Leia is a doormat. Why should she prepare more food for him right after he deliberately threw the last batch on the floor in a snit.
  • Seriously, just leave his whiny rear end behind to die, Leia. He's clearly not as into you as you are into him.
  • There really should have been a solo Leia vs. Alvin battle there. Heck, you could even have worked that in to a later fight with Jude by having Alvin's health be half of what it was in the solo battle with Jude.
  • I really don't understand all the Muzet stuff in that update. It's very unclear if that was really happening or all in Jude's head through some telepathic communication.
  • Jude expected Leia to know about that even though she wasn't in that cutscene, so I guess it was real life? And if it really happened how did Jude get away given that Muzet's clear goal is to MURDER EVERYONE. Just sloppy.
  • Also Alvin you can't say that you didn't mean to shoot Leia when you were literally shooting at her less than five minutes ago. She was lying on the wooden catwalk and you shot right at her (and missed, but not for lack of trying).
  • Maybe using the black hole weapon on the ship Jude is on would be a better idea than walking up and letting them beat on you, Muzet. Just a thought.
  • Yes, Wingul, the incompetent guards of the exact same type you've seen the party defeat while sleeping time and time again will certainly be enough to stop the party from following you.
  • When did Ivar become a non-joke boss. And how come he gets a mystic arte when Gilland does not.
  • "It's starting to rain, do you want to keep going on your QUEST TO SAVE THE WORLD, or just give up?" - Uh, what the hell, Leia? That's a pathetic reason to stop. Your entire party SWAM ACROSS THE OCEAN after your ship was eaten by a black hole. I think you're waterproof.
  • That fireball to Alvin's face was less satisfying than it should have been.
  • I think the game cheated with Presa and Agria. The game wanted them to die, but didn't want their blood clearly on the hands of the party, like it would be if they killed them in battle. OOPS CONVENIENT ROCKSLIDE
  • ah ha ha Rowan just agreed that Leia is ONLY good at futile optimism. I guess he believes she sucks at everything else.

• Leia's not the type to abandon someone because of a hosed-up mental state, even ignoring the fact that she's pretty much hopelessly in love with him. (Honestly, JudeXLeia would've been a much better relationship than the imaginary one that the game runs as canon, if only Jude wasn't completely obsessed with Milla).
  • See above
  • The Leia vs. Alvin idea might've worked, but then they'd have to work out how the rest of the scene would be changed depending on who won or lost, which is complicated enough with having to do the same for the Jude vs. Alvin duel. Again, game was rushed so time was probably a factor.
  • The Muzet scenes were clearly some sort of flashback because it was quicker and easier than making full scenes of Muzet's atrocities. Again, time.
  • Muzet clearly isn't mentally balanced at this point. She probably let Jude go for the moment for shits and giggles.
  • Like Muzet, Alvin clearly isn't in the best state of mind right now. Remember, he tried to pull the trigger on Jude at point blank range and hesitated for a good while. Part of him clearly didn't want to hurt either of them. It's theorized that he subconsciously meant to fire a near miss and hit Leia by complete accident (perhaps he wanted to scare them off and tell Muzet they got away?), hence his horrified expression immediately after shooting her.
  • If Muzet did the intelligent thing, it'd be a lot harder to justify the fact that the team is currently alive and free to follow the others. To be honest, I prefer sloppy writing to some kind of deus ex machina saving their asses instead.
  • See above, replace Muzet with Wingul.
  • This one I'll agree with. They really dropped the ball with not giving Gilland or Celcius a MA. Though to be fair, that fight was enough of a bitch without MAs factored in. That loving laser!
  • I don't see this line in the update, was it in the video? It's been a couple years since I actually played Xillia. That said, mountain-climbing in the rain sounds like a recipe for slippery rocks making you fall and crack your head on something.
  • Burning Alvin's face for laughs probably would've been kind of a mood-killer. This was clearly Drama Time.
  • Also agreed on this one. This was probably the laziest way to write them out of the game and mostly seems to be here to give Alvin and Leia an element of personal tragedy. With all of 3 or 4 hours left in the game. Good one, Namco. :sigh:
  • I think it was more about Rowen agreeing that she's good at hopeful optimism, but it was awkwardly worded. ♪Rush job, rush job!♪

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They're actually dead forever? I just assumed they'd be back because nobody dies for real after falling out of sight.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Bufuman posted:

• Leia's not the type to abandon someone because of a hosed-up mental state, even ignoring the fact that she's pretty much hopelessly in love with him. (Honestly, JudeXLeia would've been a much better relationship than the imaginary one that the game runs as canon, if only Jude wasn't completely obsessed with Milla).
  • See above

Oh sure, I know. I'm saying that I didn't care for Jude's attitude at that point.

quote:

[*]The Leia vs. Alvin idea might've worked, but then they'd have to work out how the rest of the scene would be changed depending on who won or lost, which is complicated enough with having to do the same for the Jude vs. Alvin duel. Again, game was rushed so time was probably a factor.

Maybe. Could have just had little change between outcomes. Mostly, I just think that it would have been cool to have Leia fight a solo battle there because at that point, Jude was still in his "oh woe is me, I'll just go and eat some worms yum yum" funk.

quote:

• The Muzet scenes were clearly some sort of flashback because it was quicker and easier than making full scenes of Muzet's atrocities. Again, time.
  • Muzet clearly isn't mentally balanced at this point. She probably let Jude go for the moment for shits and giggles.
  • Like Muzet, Alvin clearly isn't in the best state of mind right now. Remember, he tried to pull the trigger on Jude at point blank range and hesitated for a good while. Part of him clearly didn't want to hurt either of them. It's theorized that he subconsciously meant to fire a near miss and hit Leia by complete accident (perhaps he wanted to scare them off and tell Muzet they got away?), hence his horrified expression immediately after shooting her.

I'm still going to chalk that up to rushing the last part of the story out.

quote:

[*]I don't see this line in the update, was it in the video? It's been a couple years since I actually played Xillia. That said, mountain-climbing in the rain sounds like a recipe for slippery rocks making you fall and crack your head on something.

It was in the dungeon video. I'm just saying that I thought it was funny that they're on this big important mission and Leia's acting like they were planning on a picnic and bad weather is enough to turn around and do it later.

quote:

[*]Burning Alvin's face for laughs probably would've been kind of a mood-killer. This was clearly Drama Time.

No, I mean I don't like Alvin and that wasn't all that satisfying.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Seriously, is there any Japanese media where traitors can't go "Sorry, my bad" and have themselves forgiven? Just once, I want to see the protagonist go "No, gently caress you."

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

CH29: Maximum Maxwell

: Huh, for some reason I forgot to get this in Fenmont. Oh well, I'll throw it in here.
: You scatterbrain!
: Where do you get off insulting anyone's brain?

: We've got an early start tomorrow. Be sure to get some rest.
: Will do!
But man, this constant Fennmont night is really messing up my rhythm.
: Come to think of it, I had trouble adjusting to it too.
The trick is to always eat meals at the same times you used to.
: Okay, I'll give that a try.
: And I'll be your alarm clock if you can't get up in time.
: All right, but don't get mad if I bomp you on the head when I want to go back to sleep.
Good night!
: Good night.
: Phew...
I could use a good night's sleep too.

: Anyway, where was I.

: Oh, yeah.

: It's scary how much spirit energy is here.
: I can actually feel the mana pouring out of that thing.

: It would take any number of cosmic coincidences to create this place.
: Doesn't it remind you of the channeling circles used in spirit artes?
: Actually, yeah, now that you mention it.
: More importantly, we should probably get inside that thing before Gaius and Muzét's battle bring it crashing down.
I'll go first.
: No, that's okay. Going first is kind of my thing.
: All right.
: Meh!
Hmph!
: Heh...
: See everybody on the other side.

: I'm lost without Lord Maxwell. Lost. No path. No purpose.
: A powerful spirit like you should think for herself.
: I don't know how!
Please, it can be anyone. It can be you. Give me purpose.
: You can't mean to betray Maxwell?

:siren: Dungeon Video! Short and kind of cool

It starts out pitch dark.

Then the lights come on.

Tidal Wave is Rowen's Arcane Arte, and he can extend it into his Mystic Arte like all our other characters.

Not bad.

Then we turn the lights all the way up.

That's the place Jude is standing at the title screen.

Hmm. There's also one of these for Apple Gel and Life Bottle.

: It was time.

: What a strange place.
: Who's there?!
: These are the Temporal Crossroads, which connect the human and spirit realms that I created.
: Are you Maxwell?
: Indeed. I am Maxwell, Lord of the Spirits.
I never thought humans would reach this place.
: We've come a long way to ask you something. We want you to tell us about Milla.
: Hmm?
: We heard that you used Milla as bait.
: Can you tell us why?
: I see. You must have been her companions.
: Yes, we traveled together. She taught me to think about many things.
About power, and what I must do.
And then she died.
That's when I finally realized what I should do.
What I have to do!
: And what is that?
: Destroy the schism. It's the only way to save both Rieze Maxia and Elympios.
: Fool! The outside is overflowing with spyrixes! Do you wish to destroy all of Rieze Maxia?!
: Her reason for choosing death had eluded me until now.
But now I am certain.
You lot tempted Milla away from her mission. It is because of you she took such foolhardy actions!
And now, you plan to dispel the schism and bring about the end of the world.
: Maxwell, please listen!
: Bane of my creation, begone from my world!

Sooooo. Maxwell's gimmick here is that he constantly swaps his elemental weakness/strength for new ones. He'll always be weak to the opposite of his strong element.

His flare bomb resembles Agria's low-hp version.

If you miss the notification, hit R1 to check his stats.

Not a lot of originality there. You've seen all this before.

This is new.

Oh hey it's Time Stop.

After that he uses Sunburst, I think this is scripted, because...

We interrupt this battle to bring you a cutscene.
: Do you really understand? Can you possibly comprehend what you are attempting to do?
: We know precisely what we are doing! That is why we do it!
: Why do you think we came to ask you about Milla?
: We want to know the truth behind Rieze Maxia, and why you would use Milla as bait.
: What difference does it make? What would change if I told you?
: We don't know!
But not knowing certainly hasn't gotten us anywhere!
: Two millennia ago, spyrix appeared in this world.
Spirits perished. Nature withered and died. Humans began following the path of annihilation.
So I saved all the spirits and animals I could, and I gathered humans born with the ability to produce mana.
It was then I created Rieze Maxia and sealed them all inside it, to provide a haven from the spyrix.
The world is an ark that must sail until Elympios falls. No one may disembark until then.
: So what? We just twiddle our thumbs until Elympios dies?
: That can't be the only way to save humans and spirits?
: It is.
: But at this rate, the people in Elympios will all die.
: Pity them not. I had my human allies warn them that spyrix would bring nothing but annihilation.
Yet the humans persisted in its use.
Furthermore, once they realized that the spirits in their world were going extinct, they took drastic measures.
They launched their assault upon Rieze Maxia.
: You must be referring to what happened twenty years ago.
: That must've been when the massive hole opened in the schism.
: Yes. I cannot leave this place, so I created Muzét as my replacement to eradicate any intruders.
: And yet, some folks snuck right in under your nose.
: And those folks were Exodus?
: A clever lot. They avoided my detection and went into hiding.
So I came up with a plan.
Exodus knew that if I were to die, my schism would die with me.
I realized that with the proper bait, I could lure my prey out of hiding.
: That can't be right.
: Wait, you don't mean...
: Yes. I created a life I could expose to my foes that would lure them into the open.
You know by now who that is.
: Milla.
: How could you?
: But, did she know she was an imposter?
: I am not so careless. I engraved my words into her heart, and I had her raised to believe she was truly Maxwell.
: But that means her mission meant nothing.
: Did she even mean anything to you?!
: Of course. She was an essential cog in my machine.
: Don't you dare call her that!

: Hmph. Nothing has changed. I have given you the gift of the truth, yet your response remains the same.
You let your emotions control you, and seek to destroy that which you do not understand!

More battle. Wind Cloak is a teleport spell. Each of these segments is triggered by reducing his HP, and he starts the new segment with that level of HP

Trinity Drive appears to be a mortar attack.

OH BOY.

While we're here, note that the Eye at the end of Maxwell's chair's "tail" has a color corresponding to his current strong element.

Huh, that's not right. He's supposed to be using Meteor Storm. That's probably a mistranslation or something.

So for all its fury, it's not actually that damaging. Probably because we resist all the elements. I think one of them is actually healing Elize.

Naturally it's more effective in the cutscene.
: It makes no sense. How could people such as these have twisted my cog from her purpose?
: The hell are you talking about?
: Milla never changed! Not an itty-bit!
: Impossible!
: Do you really not get it?
: You've got it all wrong!
: What?
: Did you really create Milla?
: Indeed, he seems to know nothing about her. Milla change? Preposterous.
: What are you talking about?!
: We all know Milla would never abandon her mission!

: Then how do you explain her actions? Her mission was never to destroy the schism!
: Milla sacrificed her life trying to save everyone.
She obeyed only her own heart. Nothing she did was for you!
: What complete nonsense!

Another battle segment. His Binding Sphere, unlike Milla and Muzet's, creates four spheres, one on each side of him.

Maxwell's using Roche Waltz from Rowen.

This again.

: No matter how many times you regain your feet, I will simply knock you down again. Your life ends here!
: That may be what you think, but it's not for you to decide!
: Ridiculous! Look at yourself, fool! You can barely even stand up!
Do you really think you have the strength to resist me?!

: Yes, I do. I know that I do.

: I call this "the importance of aiming."
: This is impossible! You must... You must die!

: Isn't that right...
...Milla?!

: Jude alone stood no chance against Maxwell.

: But he's never been alone.

: The hell?
: I wasn't lying before. Or now.
: Explain.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It's nice seeing this side of the story. Getting her with Milla was a little jarring.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
So, what, exactly is Jude's "plan" for saving Elympios? Is it just going there and saying "Hey guys, just... just cut it out!" and then they're supposed to say "Oh. Okay." And if Rowan understands what the plan is, could be perhaps fill in the player at some point before the credits roll?'

I don't know what's going on. It's supposed to seem awesome, but it's really just confusing.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Wait a minute... did Millia just more our less become Jude's Stand or something?! Yes, I realise that's probably a stupid way to put it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I assume the next few updates will be Milla's side explaining WHAT THE gently caress JUST HAPPENED.

Though to be honest I played Milla's side too and I STILL don't quite know what went down before this. Or maybe it's just been a while and my memory for details is being spotty again.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I'm working on an update covering Milla's side of this, it honestly probably will all be through in one go because Milla's section is significantly shorter than Jude's.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ha ha! And now perhaps my ultimate tale of Lady Milla’s greatness!
No.
U-Um, excuse me?
Just no, you don’t even have any idea what you’re talking about on a good day and you’ve never even been where she went. So why don’t you just sit down and I’ll tell you what happened. It all started after Milla died.

Video- The Spirit World

Watch

???: …resist not my purification of the soul. Step forth into life anew.

Normally, she should have just been reincarnated. But, well, things didn’t go normally.

Hold fast to your consciousness! Remain yourself, and you shall not disappear.
Hurry! We gotta do this on the double!
Almost there! Don’t you quit on us!
It is time! Please, this way!

Milla found herself somewhere strange, though you would probably recognize it as the seafalls near Nia Khera.

The company was just as strange to her.
For you see-
No seriously just shut up.

So happy to play again! Ready to do our thing?
What? You don’t remember little ol’ me?
This mean we blew it?

Huh? You okay?
Wait a sec. Don’t tell me you don’t remember.

What? Your own name escapes you?
Did we fail?
My apologies. You could not answer even if you wished.

I cannot believe I am even asking you this, but do you remember the time we spent together in Nia Khera?
You do not remember. What can we do now?
No, forgive me. It is not your fault.

Milla was about to wander off when the Four stopped her.

Something ain’t right with her, gang. It’s like she forgot who she is.
Come on! Don’t you remember all the times we played together in Nia Khera?
Answer me. When you and I battled each other, who emerged the victor?
Do you remember saving us when we were trapped inside the Lance?
I fear that you have lost much of your memory.
Yet it should be intact if we retrieved her soul at the proper moment.
Maybe we screwed it up somehow.
Or maybe we hit some glitch we didn’t know about. If we do a little digging, we might figure out the problem.
Bad Sylph! No!
What?
We can’t disobey our lord.
Gnome has the right of it. And either way, we cannot return to Nia Khera.
Hmph, fine! Who needs a half-baked spirit like her anyway? Let’s lose the amnesiac and move on!
Sylph, please. We should be happy she is still with us at all.
We just need to accept that our plan has failed.
We brought this fate upon you. Forgive us. If only we could make it up to you.
Is there anywhere you would like to go? The least we can do is accompany you.
Perhaps you might remember something along the way.
Right! Someplace familiar might do the trick!
Uh, Nia Khera’s out, remember?
Oh… Hmm…

So, we have only Milla for the moment. The upshot is, we get back the Four in the form of the artes we had at the start of the game. They’re pretty brutal, and make the random fights here quite easy in spite of the fact that they’re generally two on one. We start in the Seafalls as noted, and we can’t go to Nia Khera. So we need to head to Hamil. Once we arrive, we get a scene.

Milla wandered to Hamil, and the Four followed.

Video- Trouble In the Spirit World

Watch

Perhaps she visited here while we were trapped inside the Lance.
Whatever.

Things weren’t so great in the spirit world.

They’re in trouble!
I will handle this.
Thank you.

Even without her memories, Milla was not the sort to listen to someone else saying that they’d handle something.

Stay back. I said I would handle this!
She does not seem particularly concerned about who does the fighting.
What?!
What matters most is that we save these people.
That’s right.

They defeated the monsters.

Villager: Please, stop by our house in the village whenever you need a rest!
Wh-Wha, guys. Something’s not right.

A pair of familiar shadows appeared…

…and the spirits they had saved fell, undone. Soon only a pair of fossils remained.

Is everyone all right?
They’re gone.
You cannot touch it from this world.
I know it’s rotten, but you couldn’t have saved ‘em if you tried.
Don’t blame yourself!
Let’s move onward.

They rested for a moment at the building that was the elder of Hamil’s house in the real world.

Video- The Four Consider

Watch

Perhaps you should just live in peace from now on.
You don’t have to fight anymore.
Yes. You should focus on your own happiness.

Her dreams were unsettled, though.

Peace. Were those two at peace?
Why do I still care? I don’t need to fight anymore.
I couldn’t protect them.

They left Hamil, and headed on to the nearby seahaven where they encountered a suspicious pair watching a young woman.

Video- The Hunt

Watch

Man: It—It can’t be. The Four Great Spirits?!
What mischief are you two up to?
Man: Huh?!
Other Man: Uh, we were, um…

This caught the woman’s attention, and she ran off.

Man: Pardon us. We have, uh, business to attend to.
Other Man: Right. Business. Let’s go!

Milla and the Four followed her into the inn.

Woman: A few times. I think they’re tailing after me.
Do you know why?
Woman: Yes. I overheard something I probably shouldn’t have.
Please, continue.
Woman: Okay. You are the Four Great Spirits, after all.
I overheard that some woman committed the sin of false reincarnation. Now people are on the hunt for her.
Sin, huh?
Do you have any clue of this person’s whereabouts?
Woman: I don’t know. I didn’t hear much else.
But they clearly said they have to find her… and kill her.
Eventually, I found out that they had started to suspect us, so I’ve been in hiding.
I see.
Thank you for sharing your tale. You have been most helpful. Now, see to your safety.

The group reconvened outside.

Sylph’s makin’ sense.
Hmm… Very well.
We shall confess what we did to you.
Once you were a woman named Milla. You lived with us in a place called Nia Khera.
You died in the end. Do you remember that much?
We must tell you what happened afterward.
We tried to retrieve your soul before it could be purified and reincarnated.
We thought you’d come back with all your same ol’ memories.
But we messed up.
Your memories went bye-bye. Oops!
That is the way of things.

They rested at the seahaven, and once again Milla dreamed.

Video- Memories 1

Watch

Yes?
Can I come, too? With you?
Who are you?
I know you. Why can’t I remember?

I’m --.
I’m Maxwell. Yes, that’s right. I’m Milla Maxwell.
And I chose to die.
But why? I can’t remember.
That boy. Who was he to me?

Technically I think we could have bypassed most of this. We might have had to head to the seahaven before the Four wouldn’t yell at us for trying to go to Nia Khera? Anyway we start the final section of this by heading exactly where we were told not to.

Inevitably, though, everyone has to return home.

Video- Alone Again

Watch

Is it her?
Gnome, hide Milla.
Okey-dokey!
Sit tight!

So it was you.

Where they met a charming and attractive young spirit just doing her job.
Okay now I really need to say something, why is it okay when you just make crap up?
Excuse me? Did you just say ‘tragically injure me please’?
Uh, no, not at all. Didn’t say a thing.

They were all suspects, so naturally they paid the ultimate price.
In other words, your goal was to root out Milla.
Of course. How very perceptive of you.
I must eliminate all who have learned of the schism’s existence and secrets.
Well, uh. That’s your mission after all.
Hehe, but I never imagined you would hide Milla and then march right up to me on your own.
Did something go awry?
Milla has lost her memory.
We don’t know how to find her no more.
So that’s what happened.
In that case, your usefulness has come to an end.
Yes, as you say.
You are well aware of our master’s wishes.
You all know too much. You must be reincarnated.
Die and pass along our powers to the next Great Four. We know.
Exactly. Lord Maxwell’s specter is in the shrine.
We shall await you.

Anyway, they were left to consider their failures.

Yes.
Time to say bye-bye.
You heard our conversation. Muzet is right.
We know too much about the schism, and that makes us dangerous.
We were prepared for this outcome.
Yep.
All that really matters is the Four Great Spirits exist, not who they are.
Got it? Then scram and never come back.
We’ll be goin’ now.
Milla. No, you are not Milla. You are your own person.
Forget you ever heard that name.
If you ever meet the next Four, please give them our kind regards.
Enough already. Let’s go get this over with.

Nia Khera was heaped with bodies, and amongst them Milla had another vision.

Video- Memories 2

Watch

I just want to live as Maxwell.
And that’s an excuse to off yourself?
I know it conflicts with my mission.
Then don’t! Don’t do it!
I just don’t want to disappoint ----.
I want to be strong.
I want to be the Maxwell that he adores.
What does Maxwell have to fear?
So that’s what it was. I’ve become afraid. Afraid of loss.

Once again, even without memories Milla was still at the end of the day Milla. And that means walking forward even if it’s really stupid.

Video- Determination

Watch

Numbskull! Don’t tell me you’re trying to stop us from sacrificing ourselves.
Wait, Sylph.
Her body is different, and her memories gone, but a certain part of Milla may yet remain.
Yes. If that’s the case, there is nothing we can do to stop her.
You know… Even if you never get your memories back…
You’re still the best.
Hmph. This creature isn’t Milla.
The real Milla would think more logically. She’d never be dumb enough to follow us like this.
Sylph…
If you are determined to accompany us, then we cannot stop you.
Come with us or turn back. We will respect your decision regardless.
Yep.
Indeed.
Hmph, whatever.

Their arrival at the shrine, needless to say, caused a bit of a stir.

Video- Muzet

Watch

Oh?
What do we have here?
So, you lied to me? Or perhaps you changed your minds?
Never mind. I am not so cruel as to interrogate you over this matter now.
But I do have one question for you.
Can you really trust these spirits?
If you don’t know the answer, then allow me to provide it for you.
Just as I have a mission, so too did you. At least when you were still Milla.
Muzet, must you really tell her this?
My, my. You willingly participated, and yet now you wish you pretend it never happened?
N-No one said that.
My primary mission was the eradication of Exodus.
And as for Milla…
She was Lord Maxwell’s bait to lure Exodus into the open.
He realized that Exodus had designs to take his life.
So he made you believe that you were Maxwell in the flesh.
And right on cue, Exodus threw all of its resources into killing you.
Do you see where I am going with this?
That’s enough already.

A fabrication, to be more accurate. You were never Maxwell.
And furthermore, the Four Great Spirits here were under Lord Maxwell’s orders.
They raised you, a human girl forged in the crucible of the elements, as Maxwell. They brainwashed you into accepting your mission.
Milla…
You were abandoned by Maxwell from the very start, and your trusted Four have been using you from the beginning.
She speaks the truth. All of us have been lying to you.
That is why we plucked your soul free just as it was undergoing reincarnation.
We betrayed our very master, Lord Maxwell himself, for you.
Though I suppose that gesture rings hollow now.
Indeed it does.
But Muzet!
Milla wished for us to live on!
She kinda grew on us, you know? Betraying her again just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
We refuse your offer of reincarnation. We are staying right here.
What?
I have a mission. Without it, my life has no meaning! I must complete it!
I cannot allow you to live!

It came down to a fight.

Okay so Milla has only one boss on her side, a fight one on one with Muzet. She’s almost identical to the version that Jude fights with a whole loving party, just with somewhat less health. Hope you have healing items, because she can ruin you incredibly quickly. You do have something that Jude didn’t have, though, the four best artes in the game. Mystic artes are for suckers, the Four are where it’s really at. Efreet is a frontal arc that hits a wide area and knocks enemies around, Undine shoots a line of water for massive damage, Sylph knocks an area in front of you up into the air and juggles it, and Gnome spins around you. Your ONLY real advantage against Muzet is that she’s very easy to knock around, so Efreet and Sylph can really mess her up as long as you land them before she hits you. Undine is great if you can safely land her, though if Muzet gets around the attack you will likely lost most of your health to some rear end in a top hat poo poo she’ll pull. And yes she has her Mystic Arte, free run and pray to whatever gods you worship when she Overlimits. This is legit the hardest fight in the game when you’re not in an NG+ with a bunch of crazy overpowered equipment and more levels than you’re supposed to have, I almost manage to die even in that situation.

Which I should note Lady Milla won. Handily. Really kicked her opponent to the curb.
Okay you can stop with that.

Cause I want Milla back with us.
She cared about me, so I care about her! Simple!
We do not know if Milla will regain her memory.
Most likely, she never will.
But even so, to us she is still Milla!
It is not the past we spent together that truly matters. We have realized that much.
In other words, the most important thing to you is not the past, but rather—
Stop right there! Sheesh, you were about to say the oldest cliché in the book.
We don’t wanna die just ‘cause we know too much!
Then why didn’t you run?
Funny thing. We were fine with dyin’ if it was for her.
We shall decide what we do from now on.
We shall follow our own hearts when choosing whether to obey or disobey our master’s orders.
You think so too, right?
But memories are gone forever when they’re erased! She will never be Milla again!
Tell me I speak the truth.

The shade of Maxwell appeared.

Behold, the specter of Lord Maxwell, Hegemon of the Spirit World.
Do not be afraid. The specter is nothing more than concentrated consciousness. Its sole purpose is to purify the souls of the dead.
The answer to your question is: negative.
This ball of light contains a soul’s former information. It is a miraculous arte, able to restore memory and personality.
What?
Lord Maxwell! Why was I never informed of this?
This isn’t good! Lord Maxwell’s gonna sense that we’re here.
Huh? He’s not answering.
Why… Why have you stopped responding?
How long must I wait until you answer me?!
I do not know why, but it appears her communication with Maxwell has been cut off.
No! Why is this happening?!
Hey, wait!
Calm yourself, Sylph.
We have more pressing concerns.
In the end, we did what we came to do. We have found a way to restore Milla’s memory.
Carry this light to the summit of the Nia Khera Hallowmount.

They headed to the peak of the Hallowmount, at which point the Four were called to aid Maxwell in battle.

Video- Return

Watch

The signal is off the charts. It’s Lord Maxwell!
But who could he be fighting?!
Milla should be fine now! We can leave!
All right, here we go!

Milla found herself alone, overlooking a strange place and a desperate battle.

Jude was standing alone against the Lord of Spirits, though his part of the story of course you already know.

Do you really think you have the strength to resist me?!
Remember why I chose to die!
Yes, I do. I know that I do.
What did you say?
This is impossible! You must… You must die!

Just who are you?!

Milla?!

And I believe that takes us up to where we were.
I barely even got to say anything!
Too bad. We’re done here.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
That's a clever way to write her back into the story. If she was created by a the lord of the spirits, then theoretically she was never truly human to begin with. Therefore, the person she is most tied to by the plot has the ability to summon her in much the same way as she used to summon her own great spirits.

At least I *think* that is what just happened. Not entirely sure.

edit: Well, that last update completely throws that theory out the window.

EricFate fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 16, 2016

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
That fight. THAT loving FIGHT! :argh:

It was the only boss battle in the entire game (well, OK, that and the game's optional superboss) where I had to drop down from Unknown to Hard in my Unknown runs (one on each side). I checked the stats for both sides, and Jude-side Muzet only has like 25% more HP than Milla-side's, so she takes a goddamn eternity to bring down with Milla alone. And as you mentioned, Milla has no self-healing skills, and Muzet's attacks are stupid dangerous (did you know that Dread Raven has an instakill proc? I sure as hell didn't until this fight), so all it takes is the slightest gently caress-up and you're basically done. gently caress THIS FIGHT!

If there's one thing that was a relief about it being a solo fight, it was that Elemental Hymn is easy enough to avoid in the hands of a human, and since you don't have AI allies that are too stupid to run around them, there's no danger of some dimwit sitting there while a fire orb hits them in the face and triggering an Event Horizon on everyone. You can just Free Run around her orbs until her Overlimit expires.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 16, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Bufuman posted:

That fight. THAT loving FIGHT! :argh:

It was the only boss battle in the entire game (well, OK, that and the game's optional superboss) where I had to drop down from Unknown to Hard in my Unknown runs (one on each side). I checked the stats for both sides, and Jude-side Muzet only has like 25% more HP than Milla-side's, so she takes a goddamn eternity to bring down with Milla alone. And as you mentioned, Milla has no self-healing skills, and Muzet's attacks are stupid dangerous (did you know that Dread Raven has an instakill proc? I sure as hell didn't until this fight), so all it takes is the slightest gently caress-up and you're basically done. gently caress THIS FIGHT!

If there's one thing that was a relief about it being a solo fight, it was that Elemental Hymn is easy enough to avoid in the hands of a human, and since you don't have AI allies that are too stupid to run around them, there's no danger of some dimwit sitting there while a fire orb hits them in the face and triggering an Event Horizon on everyone. You can just Free Run around her orbs until her Overlimit expires.

Not surprised that she's got that much health, I recall it taking forever the first time. This fight is literally why I did this in an NG+, normally I don't like doing that but knowing that I was going to have to fight this jerktown again I said screw it bring on the bonus EXP and Devil's Arms.

Another problem is that her hair attacks can come out stupid fast so it's never, ever safe to be near her if she's not already in an animation. Which is problematical because the Four eat loving TP like crazy so you're going to either be spamming items or you will need to actually hit Muzet normally every so often. It's also bad because the Four's other weakness is that Milla herself is terribly exposed while they're summoned so if you miss you're about to eat poo poo.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
That fight is really ridiculous. Milla can't heal, Muzet has way too much HP and can combo you to death pretty quickly if you make mistakes. I did the Milla side in my first playthrough and 100% expected this fight to be a typical "you are supposed to lose this" fight. Imagine my surprise when the game said nope, this is for real, sucks to be you. Pretty much did it with a hit and run like hell tactic and never let her connect any attacks during overlimit at all. On the positive side once you got through this you really knew how to fight with Milla, so the rest is kind of a breeze from then on.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
You know, I just can't help but feel that not enough appreciation is being shown for the fact that part of Jude's solution to everything going on was to literally find God and punch him in the face.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
To be fair that's the solution to 90% of JRPG problems.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I'm not going to say Xillia's to blame or anything but my main laptop's (apparently defective) logic board decided to die basically just after I finished that update last night.

No gently caress it Xillia's to blame, Muzet sucks so bad she murdered my computer.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Feinne posted:

I'm not going to say Xillia's to blame or anything but my main laptop's (apparently defective) logic board decided to die basically just after I finished that update last night.

No gently caress it Xillia's to blame, Muzet sucks so bad she murdered my computer.

LP curse is real.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Feinne posted:

Then I suppose it's a good thing we wrapped up pretty much all the Milla-exclusive scenes last update! :v:

Seriously though, hope you can save your laptop. Is the hard drive safe, at least?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Bufuman posted:

Then I suppose it's a good thing we wrapped up pretty much all the Milla-exclusive scenes last update! :v:

Seriously though, hope you can save your laptop. Is the hard drive safe, at least?

Everything else is probably fine (the diagnostic that picked up the board failure didn't find anything else), apparently that specific board has a known defect that happens so it's not even going to cost me anything to have it replaced. It's just annoying.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
To be fair to Original Maxwell, "gently caress you and die" is a pretty good response to whoever comes up with the Mana Cannon or local equivalent.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
In Muzet's fight I am pretty sure I just spammed Death Knell and her light element attack repeatedly and cheesed the drat thing. Because as everyone else has said, Muzet sucked to fight solo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

CH30: This Man is not Worthy of the Name Maxwell

: So anyway, fighting and all.

: This is impossible! You must... You must die!

: Isn't that right...
...Milla?!

: But he's never been alone.

: I must be dreaming.
: Milla!
: Milla!
: Is this truly happening?
: Milla? No way!
: Mi--

: Is it not Maxwell's mission to protect the future for all of us, both human and spirit?
: But how can this be? Was this the Four's doing?
: Uncertain? Uncertainty makes you weak, you know.

The four heal our party, despite not actually having any healing artes in gameplay. Xillia 2 eventually gives Undine a healing version.

: How... How dare you!
: Okay, Jude! Let's go!
: Right! Here we go!

So we've gotten Milla back. The game gives us a moment here to adjust her Lillium Orbs and gear. Surprisingly, they gave her a sword that was better than the best one I could purchase for her at the moment, even after upgrading the shop a few times. I guess my shop levels may be a bit behind. Her level is about the same as everyone else's, except Elize is six levels above party average. I bind all the Four to right-stick shortcuts.

Anyway, now we're fighting him for real.

Milla is by far the best character to go after Maxwell with, due to her full elemental coverage.

Flame Vanguard is new, his elemental eye thing starts emitting fire, then sweeps in a vertical arc in front of him.

You can just see Sonic Breaker behind the Binding Sphere spam, it's an eye-laser that sweeps out a frontal arc horizontally.

Teepo Copter features Elize hanging from Teepo as he flies towards the foe, and smacking them with her wand/mace/whatever they're calling it.

Tornado Blade is a new linked arte off Milla's Cyclone, Jude knocks a dude up into the air...

...and Milla spin-slices them.

Sometimes the positioning gets messed up though.

Trinity Drive seems a little different here. I'm sure if I spent a few more times fighting him, I could figure out exactly what it does. But it's just not that important.

Hey remember last update when I said that maybe Elemental Meteorites was a mistranslation of Meteor Storm?

That was a joke.

It remains TOTALLY INEFFECTIVE however.

It manages to inflict a few status effects, but nothing too bad.

Soul Absorption drains TP.

:fuckoff: Soul Absorption. If you watch the video closely, Jude screws it up by using an Orange Gel right after I give the command to use this. Bad Jude!

Oh, so what Trinity Drive does is fire a series of homing projectiles.

Everyone gets 2-3 levels.

: I like how everyone was more concerned with Milla being alive than Maxwell being defeated. Screw him.

: Hey.
: Hi there.
: I mean, what do you say after telling the cycle of reincarnation to gently caress off and returning from the dead to stab a god in the face?
: Hey!
: Millaaaaa!
: Elize, Leia.
: She's back! For real! For really real!
: I feel blessed to have lived long enough for this reunion. To think that we would meet again.
: This feels like a dream. But it's real, isn't it?
: I'm glad to see you, too.
: Welcome back, Milla.
: Thank you.

: Hey! Stay away from us! Or am I gonna have to finish you off myself?!
: I do not understand. The Four... Tell me, what is the meaning of this?
: I could no longer stand idly by and allow you to continue with this folly.
: Right. Exactly, so we decided to help Milla out and bring her to the spirit realm.
: How dare you! I gave no such order.
: Lord Maxwell, all people have hearts and minds, just the same as we do.
: You can't just treat them like tools, even if it does help save the world in the end!
: Maxwell, you may have been the one to give me my mission. Nevertheless it was still my own mission.
: You exerted your own will. And that was a decision that came straight from your own heart.
: Yes.
: The world you created seems to serve no purpose other than to exist.
But what kind of life is that for its people?
I... We all just want to live!
: I suppose this is why I could not understand your actions. Human hearts truly are complicated things.
Perhaps my ignoring that fact is what ultimately led me astray.
I shall dispel the schism.
: Are you serious?!
: Maintaining the schism requires a tremendous amount of mana. Dispelling it will disperse this energy into the world.
That should protect the world's spirits. At least for a time, anyway.

: Thank you, Maxwell.
We'll figure out a solution!
Both Rieze Maxia and Elympios will live on together. We'll find a way. You have my word.
: So Maxwell, you would step down from your rightful place as this world's god?

: Gaius?!
: Answer me, Maxwell.
: I have grown weary of constantly being at the mercy of human hearts.
: Maxwell.
: If you wish to abdicate your throne as Rieze Maxia's god, then I shall sit upon it in your stead.
: OK I have to admit in retrospect this may have been a bad idea.
: MAY???
: A mere human to replace me as my equal? How absurd. You are not worthy at all!
: It is not a question of being worthy. It is a question of actually being willing and able.
If you cannot fulfill your obligations, then I certainly will.
: Not so fast. I'm afraid that's not going to work for me either.
: It matters not. I don't need your approval.

: Don't think you can dodge all the blame.
: Such power. It can't be.

: The Lance of Kresnik?!
: What choice did I have? After all, you refuse to tell me what I should do now, didn't you?
: Muzét, have you lost your mind?
: I cannot allow you to destroy the schism!
: Maxwell, you shall serve as the cornerstone of your own world.

: It is my mission to protect the schism! My mission! Mine! Mine! Mine!
: Release me right now! That is an order!
: I'm afraid it's too late! You're always too late!

: Ugaaaaaah!
: Muzét, come to me.
Are you prepared?
: Whatever my lord wishes.

: No! Stop now! You can't mean to unleash it.

: Behold, Muzét's true power: a sword that can slice through space and time.
: I don't expect we'll meet again. Farewell, my sister.
: You can't be serious.
: Why are you doing this?! Gaius!
: For the sake of those who were killed, I will go to Elympios!
And you shall return to Rieze Maxia, where you cannot interfere!

: Come on, you gotta be kidding me!

: H-Hang in there, Elize!
: Help!
: I've got you!
: What can we do?
: Maxwell decided that if Gaius wanted them back in Rieze Maxia so bad, he'd send them to Elympios with whatever power he could muster.
: Maxwell! No!

: Wait! What's going on?!
: Not another one!
: Leave at once! This man is not worthy of the name Maxwell!
: We shall see!
: Everyone, brace yourselves.

: So they deliberately let themselves be sucked into Maxwell's portal like the total maniacs they were.
: Projecting much?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I rather enjoy how Muzet goes "well if you won't tell me what to do don't be upset when I do something you don't like".

Half of Maxwell's problems seem to really be of his own making, and him being weirdly and unnecessarily cryptic and detached.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

HiKaizer posted:

I rather enjoy how Muzet goes "well if you won't tell me what to do don't be upset when I do something you don't like".

Half of Maxwell's problems seem to really be of his own making, and him being weirdly and unnecessarily cryptic and detached.

I think it's closer to 80% if you count Xillia 2.

Andou
Jun 12, 2014
I really appreciated how Maxwell conceded defeat and gave the world to the mortals and spirits, with a "I don't understand, but we'll try it your way" mentality. It would have been a high note to end the game on until that king showed up again. I actually chuckled when the king claimed the god throne... Until I remembered that this is a JRPG, which the game drove home, when the king pulled a sword of TIME AND SPACE out of the chest of Grand Spirit being.

:cripes: Is it like this in every "Tales" game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Andou posted:

I really appreciated how Maxwell conceded defeat and gave the world to the mortals and spirits, with a "I don't understand, but we'll try it your way" mentality. It would have been a high note to end the game on until that king showed up again. I actually chuckled when the king claimed the god throne... Until I remembered that this is a JRPG, which the game drove home, when the king pulled a sword of TIME AND SPACE out of the chest of Grand Spirit being.

:cripes: Is it like this in every "Tales" game?

Not necessarily, but they typically have trouble staying high quality all the way through.

• Locked thread