Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Conspiratiorist posted:

My friend, summer being hotter than usual has been going on all over the world for the past 6 years straight.

Except the Sonoran Desert and adjacent highlands, where our summers have been colder, and our winters, especially in the mountain highlands, have been warmer. Of course this fucks up snowpack and is tanking the Agua Fria, New River, Salt River and Gila River watersheds, and by extension the Lower Colorado River.

Winter rains have also been flat sad, short and intense with low rainfall so the aquifers are sinking deeper and deeper. But hey, Boomers have their loving golf courses and Saudis have their fuckinf beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rainbow Chip Quake posted:

My fiancee and I somehow ended up getting into Masterchef Australia and this past season they had an episode that featured some of the drought relief for farmers. They were trucking in endless bales of hay and feed for the livestock in the region. I couldn't help but wonder how many years in a row people will be willing to do something like that before accepting the new reality.

we will do this as long as reactionaries mythologizing an imagined old-west frontier past continue to provide a deathgrip on rural electorates for the LNP (forever (we're doomed))

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
just move all the salmon to Australia and all the kangaroos to Alaska, problem solved

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

My friend, summer being hotter than usual has been going on all over the world for the past 6 years straight.

Yeah just feels like this year has been a big step up

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

hatty posted:

just move all the salmon to Australia and all the kangaroos to Alaska, problem solved

Nah, we've got our own fish apocalypse going on. Google up Mendindee fish kill.
On the plus side, kangaroos are really really really un-endangered, presumably because cats can't kill them.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Wasn't that viral video of the river full of dead fish and the people vomiting in aussie?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
weve also decided that now in tyool 2019 its a great time to authorise a brand new gigantic coal mine and the tepidly ambiguous pushback from labor went out the window with their election loss so its full steam dig it up and burn it down baby

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Ayn Randi posted:

weve also decided that now in tyool 2019 its a great time to authorise a brand new gigantic coal mine and the tepidly ambiguous pushback from labor went out the window with their election loss so its full steam dig it up and burn it down baby

Like literally four days ago the EPA removed protections for salmon so they could mine and pollute the rivers even more lmao

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lmfao at the salmon dying off

iT's oNlY a FeW dEgReEs

billions of years of life carefully hypertuned to survive on these exact precise conditions well, guess we'll die

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ya'll it's going to be unseasonably cool for the next several days here in northern wisconsin, like, high-is-70-degrees cool for middle of august

is this just a weather fluctuation or is this the latest polar vortex swirling down here for "natural" air conditioning that's actually the aftermath of the death of 800 glaciers

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
what’s been going on in Sub-Saharan Africa, anyway?

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames

SKULL.GIF posted:

ya'll it's going to be unseasonably cool for the next several days here in northern wisconsin, like, high-is-70-degrees cool for middle of august

is this just a weather fluctuation or is this the latest polar vortex swirling down here for "natural" air conditioning that's actually the aftermath of the death of 800 glaciers

When it's unseasonably cool one place it's unseasonably warm somewhere else...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

dream9!bed!! posted:

When it's unseasonably cool one place it's unseasonably warm somewhere else...

its been an insanely mild summer here in california which often has 105f summers in most places. been like, 60-80, a few days higher but about 15-20f cooler

it owns, i like this weather

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Xaris posted:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

you may be unsurprised to learn that the Arctic remains real loving broken right now.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Well let's take a look at the jet stream, 250 hPa.

It's fine I'm sure it's totally normal for it to just go straight over the arctic and also to be in like 2000 different pieces some of which just swirl the opposite direction of usual.

Shima Honnou has issued a correction as of 05:44 on Aug 13, 2019

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
jetstreamers

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Shima Honnou posted:

It's fine I'm sure it's totally normal for it to just go straight over the arctic and also to be in like 2000 different pieces some of which just swirl the opposite direction of usual.

The face of the wind calls to me

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Looking at climate related graphs and data is never a good thing

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
Phoneposting so can't link properly but here's a good one from a few days ago - its a coal mine(s):

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-08/water-train-saves-mine-and-jobs-in-lithgow/11392468?pfmredir=sm

Highlights:
Trains carrying 725,000 litres of water a day are the latest weapon to keep a drought-affected mine in inland New South Wales in production and keep jobs secure.

Key points:

Southern Shorthaul Railroad carts 725,000 litres of water from Charbon Mine to Airlie Mine each day on a 40km route

Water trucks can carry an estimated 16,000 litres each load by road

A senior NSW Government official says carting water by rail to parched towns is being planned

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ayn Randi posted:

you might think a country like australia is unprepared for severe winters with snow becoming commonplace, but what's even better is we're stupidly unprepared for severe summers also!
lol don’t talk to me about weather unpreparedness, in the UK we pride ourselves on the entire country shutting the gently caress down if the weather ever strays outside a narrow band of mild drizzle with patchy sunshine for dessert

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Here's some cool news on the gulf stream

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article233546512.html

quote:

If you slow down the sinking of water in the North Atlantic, that means you have a pileup of waters along the Eastern Seaboard of the United States and the Gulf of Mexico,” said Brenda Ekwurzel, director of climate science for the Union of Concerned Scientists, an environmental group. “That means that you have increased regional sea level rise just from that ocean circulation change. So that’s not good for New York City, Norfolk or along Florida.

“Your cooling mechanism to get that water to the north is slowing down,” she said. “This slowing down of your natural air conditioning, by getting that hot water from the Gulf Stream flowing northward, means that you have that hotter water sticking around and not getting out of your region as fast.”
Unlike other climate change phenomena, such as sea level rise, the collapse of the current could happen suddenly if it reaches a tipping point. Scientists think that has taken place in the distant past.

“It’s also possible that this will happen in the future, but it’s really difficult to say when,” said Caesar, of the Potsdam Institute. “I think it’s very likely that it won’t happen in the next few decades. There are a few climate models that say it could happen.”

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

at the rate we're going “I think it’s very likely that it won’t happen in the next few decades" means it will definitely happen next summer, right

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm so glad to be a part of the death crew.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

the bitcoin of weed posted:

at the rate we're going “I think it’s very likely that it won’t happen in the next few decades" means it will definitely happen next summer, right

at the latest lmao

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Xaris posted:

Again last night I had that strange dream
where everything was exactly how it seemed
concerns about the world getting warmer
people thought that they were just being rewarded
for treating others as they'd like to be treated
for obeying stop signs and curing diseases
for mailing letters with the address of the sender
Now we can swim any day in November

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

the bitcoin of weed posted:

At this point isn't 'Worst Case: 30 years' basically working out to 3-5 years lmao. RIP us.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Shima Honnou posted:

Out of curiosity - does anyone have a version of this if we lived in a non-climate destroyed world? For comparison sake.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey remember that country we loving demolished in 2003? how’s that going you ask?

A United Nations report released last month warned that the world is heading for a “climate apartheid” scenario, “where the wealthy pay to escape overheating, hunger and conflict while the rest of the world is left to suffer”.

In Baghdad, that is already a reality. On 48C days, which are now coming earlier in the year, air conditioners are the most effective way of staying cool. But an electricity crisis in the country is putting even that essential tool out of reach to low-income families.

The crisis – caused by a combination of corruption, mismanagement and a creaking national grid :chaostrump: – has exacerbated the country’s energy divide. The result is a huge gap between electricity supply and demand, especially in the summer.

Nearly 2.8 billion people live in countries where the average daily temperature is greater than 25C, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA), and less than 10 per cent of them own an air conditioner. The agency estimates that by 2050, 1.9 billion people living in hot countries will be without access to an air conditioner.

the best-case scenario predictions for the level of warming would result in a 2.2 per cent reduction of global working hours due to heat stress by 2030, the equivalent of 80 million full-time jobs.

“The ideal solution is to make more vegetation, which can lower temperatures. And we need to remove all the factories and old technology,” he says.

:chaostrump: But despite Iraq’s massive oil wealth, corruption is hampering reform :chaostrump: and Iraqis are furious. Last summer, deadly protests erupted in the southern city of Basra over the government’s inability to provide reliable electricity and water. The government has promised to invest billions in improving the national grid, but few have noticed the difference so far. Protesters have been back on the streets this year in anticipation of another sweltering summer.

“We expect the future climate of Iraq to be very dangerous,” Hamed, says. “I expect that if the issue isn’t fixed, it will bring down the government.”

we are so hosed lmao

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Maybe we'll see this make a dent in beef sales?

https://www.outsideonline.com/2399736/impossible-foods-beyond-meat-alt-meat

e:

quote:

This time, when I asked the company to send me a burger, a five-pound block of meat—clearly what it normally ships to food-service companies—arrived on my doorstep.

aphid_licker has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Aug 13, 2019

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

tiberion02 posted:

Out of curiosity - does anyone have a version of this if we lived in a non-climate destroyed world? For comparison sake.

Well for the past while that the jet stream's been hosed in the northern hemisphere you could just flip the map and look at Antarctica so let's do that real quick and see how it's doing there.

A little better but also beginning to break apart lmao

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Thanks - yet another thing I get to send to my mother to convince her to sell their soon-to-be-worthless house in Virginia Beach that she delusionally thinks will be her "great gift" to me.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Lol 4 different tropical mosquito species are invading LA at the same time, this owns

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
here's one from 2016

love the article title:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2016/07/no-the-earths-jet-streams-are-not-spinning-out-of-control/

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mayor Dave posted:

Lol 4 different tropical mosquito species are invading LA at the same time, this owns

Enjoy your West Nile Malaryellow Fever

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

rip chill af beckwith videos on youtube where he feeds his cats

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
One of the sisters of one of my friends moved to Qatar today for a teaching gig, so between that and having heard last month firsthand from another friend that the water in the Gulf was too hot for swimming, I looked at ocean temps. Today the water in Qatar was 33C / 91F as a low and 34C / 93F as high (according to buoys; NOAA satellite readings suggest it's 89.8F currently at like 3am local time). Decided to look into that and apparently ocean surface temperature isn't supposed to be able to exceed 31C / 88F naturally, that's the upper end according to some .edu places. It's some physics thing, I'm not entirely sure why but that's apparently just how it's supposed to be, probably something to do with evaporation or currents. So I looked at some temperature records that go back a few years and that checks out, a max of 88F for Qatar's surface temperature for 2014 right up until 2018 and 2019 when it started registering into the 90s during summer.

Seems fine.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Not too bad yet, right?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
so arctic extent is right about 5,000,000 km^2 now for the major measurements

it'll probably be below that for everything in the next day or two

also there's potentially a month left to melt and it's already near 2012 levels

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/charctic-interactive-sea-ice-graph/

Highlights 2012 by default. Other noteworthy years are 2007 and 2016.