Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'd put it way higher than Men In Tights. Spaceballs has legit memes all its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
A lot of the comedy in movies like Spaceballs and Men in Tights doesn't really hold up nowadays, but are still fun to watch as nostalgia bombs.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

As a kid, I watched Spaceballs and Men in Tights so often I still can't separate them in my mind even though MiT definitely has a lot more jokes that fall flat.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I rewatched MiT recently and it really didn't hold up as well as other Brooks productions.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Men in Tights is when Mel Brooks realized he had reached his peak with Spaceballs and valiantly tried to reach higher, but ultimately failed.

The only thing it and Dracula: Dead and Loving It have over Spaceballs is that they are a lot bawdier. Like, a LOT. Which, for the Dracula movie at least makes a lot of sense. Dracula movies, especially the Bram Stoker one, are horny as all get out.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Knormal posted:

I'm not sure which continent you live on, but odds are good raccoons are on their way.

Raccoons can't quite swim to Australia yet.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

if camels could pull it off...

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Wrongfully Accused is a woefully dated bag of references and bottom tier non-Brooks Nielsen but I love it, its wonderful and hilarious and I'd watch it any day.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I wouldn't say I dislike it but the only Brooks movie I'd seen before it was Blazing Saddles so there's no way I wasn't going to be disappointed.

This is an extremely fair statement. Spaceballs is quite good imo but Blazing Saddles may be the best comedy movie of all time.

Also, don't sleep on Young Frankenstein. That movie is loving amazing too.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Doc Hawkins posted:

if camels could pull it off...

If camels could pull it off then more Australians would want them around :pervert:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I like High Anxiety.

https://twitter.com/putmyspellonyou/status/1282361830707326976?s=21

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Chubby Henparty posted:

Wrongfully Accused is a woefully dated bag of references and bottom tier non-Brooks Nielsen but I love it, its wonderful and hilarious and I'd watch it any day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNqUyiGIXQU

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Jul 13, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

I'd hunt Canada geese with an anti-aircraft battery if they'd let me.

Used to have to drive/walk through this area to get to my childhood dentist's office so visits were doubly traumatic.

bro you heard about punt guns

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chubby Henparty posted:

I legit did a spit take when the train looked around the tree as it was chasing him through the woods.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Paladinus posted:

Congrats, you're fluent in Canadian.

Wonderful! Moving there asap.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Crowetron posted:

As a kid, I watched Spaceballs and Men in Tights so often I still can't separate them in my mind even though MiT definitely has a lot more jokes that fall flat.

My wife hates Mel Brooks movies, especially Space Balls and Blazing Saddles.

Men in Tights and Young Frankenstein, however, are two of her top 5 favorite movies. I dont get it, but I'm not sad to watch them a lot.

Princess Bride, Labyrinth and Rocky Horror round out her 5

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Young Frankenstein has a lot of rape jokes. :whitewater:

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
When are they making history of the world part two :argh:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Solice Kirsk posted:

I legit did a spit take when the train looked around the tree as it was chasing him through the woods.

I'd almost forgotten about that movie, I'll have to watch it again

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've heard Spaceballs described as 'First Draft: The Movie', and I think that's fair. 'Pizza the Hut' and poo poo like that. Very first draft jokes. It's funny and I love it but I can't deny that it's obviously the first of Brooks' movies where he's sending up a genre he doesn't love, and I suspect for that reason he didn't put as much effort into it as he did, say, Young Frankenstein.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

iwentdoodie posted:

My wife hates Mel Brooks movies, especially Space Balls and Blazing Saddles.

Men in Tights and Young Frankenstein, however, are two of her top 5 favorite movies. I dont get it, but I'm not sad to watch them a lot.

Princess Bride, Labyrinth and Rocky Horror round out her 5

your wife likes looking at dongs in tights. maybe you should dress up in tights more often.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRnEOUxZm0&t=49s

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In the middle ages both women and satans ate combs.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

In the middle ages both women and satans ate combs.

It was always cake.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Inceltown posted:

Raccoons can't quite swim to Australia yet.
That's what Japan thought.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I am genuinely struggling to figure out a mindset where not only do you think both Spaceballs and Airplane! are bad movies, but you think Spaceballs! (1987) was an influence on Airplane! (1980).

They're not saying that Airplane! was bad, they're saying that SpaceBalls led to Airplane! and unfortunately they dug too deep and greedily and led to bad Brooks and Neilsen spoof movies and later the likes of Epic Movie and its ilk.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Everyone's favorite Mel Brooks movie is either Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles and those are the ones that he didn't write by himself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rodbeard posted:

Everyone's favorite Mel Brooks movie is either Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles and those are the ones that he didn't write by himself.

The only thing I remember about Young Frankenstein is that it bored me so much as a kid I've never seen more than like 20 minutes of it. Blazing Saddles was on so late that my mum sent me to bed before I could finish it even though I wanted to.

Anyway it's The Producers

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

As a kid 'would you like a roll in ze hay?.... rolly rolly rolly': instant masterpiece.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

RareAcumen posted:

They're not saying that Airplane! was bad, they're saying that SpaceBalls led to Airplane! and unfortunately they dug too deep and greedily and led to bad Brooks and Neilsen spoof movies and later the likes of Epic Movie and its ilk.

Sure, sure. How did Spaceballs, made in the year of our lord Ronald Reagan 1987, lead to Airplane!, made in the year of our peanut farmer Jimmy, 1980?

I mean, the post you loving quoted asked this, and then you somehow shat out a post ignoring the thing you quoted to insist that one movie influenced another movie 7 years

you're a trump supporter, aren't you.

Edit: and the Zuckers, who have a long and "proud" history of zany movies, would probably be a little annoyed that their oeuvre is being attributed to Mel Brooks...

VVVV ahh, so his name is correct, he DOES have a rare amount of acumen. It's just misleading in that it makes one think it's rare because he has a LOT of acumen, when in fact it's the reverse

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SyNack Sassimov has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Jul 13, 2020

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Rareacumen is a complete loving dumbass if that helps

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Most people who say they love Mel Brooks actually just like three Gene Wilder movies

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I liked Silent Movie.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rodbeard posted:

History of the World Part I

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Men in Tights was my favourite movie. I used to be able to quote the entire thing. I couldn't finish watching Blazing Saddles. It just seemed to be really racist and sexist while trying to be ironic about it, and I didn't find any of it funny at all. Maybe it's funnier if you're from the USA?

Anyway, here, have some funny pictures:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Solice Kirsk posted:

The AR-15 is actually a duck rifle first and foremost.
Yes well, I'd duck if I saw one as well...

Edit: They're also a poo poo rifle...

:dadjoke:

Cable Guy has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Jul 13, 2020

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham

Who said men can't multitask :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyperlynx posted:

Men in Tights was my favourite movie. I used to be able to quote the entire thing. I couldn't finish watching Blazing Saddles. It just seemed to be really racist and sexist while trying to be ironic about it, and I didn't find any of it funny at all. Maybe it's funnier if you're from the USA?

Yes, that was the point. It brought to the forefront what the other westerns had, but pretended didn't exist.