Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

is russia trying to do a second holodomor by shutting off the flow of grain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

StashAugustine posted:

[...] Now, [...] rogue democracies, those are cool and good

Boy do I have news for you

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DancingShade posted:

I'm going to call this spin. I don't think Putin is doing anything without consulting with Xi. However if certain Western interests keep pinning hopes on flipping China for some reason then why correct them at this point if they've a demonstrated inability to learn?

I don't think anybody is suggesting that this (or really anything) will flip China, just that this is not something they're going to be happy with. Sure the grain can get to China other ways, it's just going to cost more and take longer.

Comrade Koba posted:

indeed, too bad there’s absolutely no other way for russia to send grain to china :(

It's Ukrainian grain.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Why bother talking to actual Chinese officials (what if you even had to speak in Mandarin!) when there's any number of rent a quote 'experts' on China right here in the West?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Just to be clear, "Nazi" is synonymous with evil not because they invaded Poland but what they did in Poland after they took over. You're trying to draw a comparison between the nation that built Auschwitz and the one that liberated it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

Why bother talking to actual Chinese officials (what if you even had to speak in Mandarin!) when there's any number of rent a quote 'experts' on China right here in the West?

I mean they should talk to Chinese officials, but I also think it's not too much of a stretch to assume that Beijing is not thrilled with this.

Here is the UN's data on the grain deal btw.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Majorian posted:

It's Ukrainian grain.

too bad there’s no way for russia to transport ukrainian grain from ukraine :(

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

Well, Russia and Ukraine are at war, and Russia pulled out of the grain deal, so that's probably not going to happen.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 9 days!)

So what are the prospects for shipping the grain through Romania and Greece? I know that only makes everything more expensive but it's better to get the grain out into the world market than to leave it sitting in a silo somewhere.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

is russia trying to do a second holodomor by shutting off the flow of grain

In a historical irony Ukraine now has too much grain, and will be afflicted with the plague of obesity.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Majorian posted:

Well, Russia and Ukraine are at war, and Russia pulled out of the grain deal, so that's probably not going to happen.

too bad there’s zero grain production in eastern ukraine and no way for russia to send russian grain instead :(

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the grain deal thing seems to me to be 1) a way of adding further economic pressure on ukraine's backers by loving with the grain markets and ukrainian foreign exchange stuff and 2) a means of escalation on the russian side which is unlikely to end with nukes flying. plus who knows, they may have a point about the other side of the deal not being upheld.

my guess is that the russians will probably have talked to some other countries and made sure that nobody they care about is going to be too miffed about this before committing. it still removes a diplomatic channel, which says nothing good about the prospects of ending this mess any time soon.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So what are the prospects for shipping the grain through Romania and Greece? I know that only makes everything more expensive but it's better to get the grain out into the world market than to leave it sitting in a silo somewhere.

Yeah, at this point I'm not really sure. Send it through the Baltic, I guess?

quote:

In a historical irony Ukraine now has too much grain, and will be afflicted with the plague of obesity.

Just like what we did to Mexico!:argh:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Koba posted:

That's not Ukrainian grain anymore :eng101:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Has Russia flase flagged the nuclear power plant yet

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

paul_soccer12 posted:

Neither Russia nor Ukraine has. This leads me to believe that agents from both sides are at a standstill because they keep foiling each other in increasingly comical ways, reminiscent of the classic Mad Magazine cartoon "Spy vs. Spy."

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Oh I see why this thread had three hundred posts in the last six hours now

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The fog of war was inside of us all along. Or maybe just gas.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Majorian posted:

Lol are you retarded? The grain deal expired and there was no renegotiation forthcoming from the west.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

paul_soccer12 posted:

Man, I'd forgotten about that, the waves of bullshit stories come with such frequency that stuff just fades from memory.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Other forum is super mad we can post erotic orc novella lmao and also they're mad about the Holodomor again

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

Other forum is super mad we can post erotic orc novella lmao and also they're mad about the Holodomor again

It probably all stems from sexual frustration. We can't help them.

Not until we all go into the metaverse and get superior green skinned orc bodies.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Regarde Aduck posted:

the erotic orc cover pages probably upsets people in other forums more than anything else about this thread

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

the erotic orc cover pages probably upsets people in other forums more than anything else about this thread

Lol lmao

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Lol are you retarded? The grain deal expired and there was no renegotiation forthcoming from the west.

Uh oh, somebody better tell Peskov:

quote:

Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told reporters on Monday that Russia would not renew the pact right now, saying it “has been terminated.”

Russia has for some time complained that it is being prevented from adequately exporting its own foodstuffs, and Peskov cited that objection as the reason for pulling out of the deal. “As soon as the Russian part is completed, the Russian side will return to the implementation of this deal immediately,” he told reporters.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You do get that the west is not holding up their end of the deal right?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I would hazard a guess the Chinese are probably more mad tbat the West didn't uphold any part of their end in the grain deal giving Russia no reason to renew the deal

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Slavvy posted:

You do get that the west is not holding up their end of the deal right?

Sure, neither side was holding up their end of the deal. Russia withdrew from the agreement, as I said. There was no need for you to flip out at me saying that.:shrug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Majorian posted:

Sure, neither side was holding up their end of the deal. Russia withdrew from the agreement, as I said. There was no need for you to flip out at me saying that.:shrug:

There is something wrong with your brain if you think this is a both sides situation

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Right or wrong there is no need to devolve to fighting in the war thread gentlemen!

Oh wait this is the special military operation thread, my bad.

You're both fine posters, don't get broke brained over semantics or technicalities in the propaganda.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Slavvy posted:

There is something wrong with your brain if you think this is a both sides situation

There's something wrong with your brain if you are flipping out over me saying "Russia pulled out of the grain deal." It's a factual statement that doesn't assign blame. And yet you are mad about it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
How was Russia not upholding their part?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The worst part of this whole thing is I haven't been able to buy Russian Standard vodka in ages. I have to settle for Polish! Also the Polish stuff is pretty good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Right or wrong there is no need to devolve to fighting in the war thread gentlemen!

Oh wait this is the special military operation thread, my bad.

You're both fine posters, don't get broke brained over semantics or technicalities in the propaganda.

I've had a long day and I'm sick and grumpy

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

There was a recent incident that the UN flagged:

quote:

U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric expressed serious concern that only 33 ships departed from Ukrainian ports in May, half the number compared to April, and exports of grain and other foodstuffs totaled just 1.3 million metric tons last month, less than half the amount of the previous month.

He said Russia informed the center in Istanbul coordinating the arrivals, departures and inspections of ships involved in the Black Sea Grain Initiative “of its decision to limit registrations in the port of Yuzhny as long as ammonia is not exported, and currently it’s not.”

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

I've had a long day and I'm sick and grumpy

All good, we've all done it.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Majorian posted:

There's something wrong with your brain if you are flipping out over me saying "Russia pulled out of the grain deal." It's a factual statement that doesn't assign blame. And yet you are mad about it.

I think it's kind of semantics, but there is a difference between Russia "pulling out of the deal" because Ukraine's friends didn't follow through on their obligations and the Russins refusing to negotiate an extension on a deal that had expired because Ukraine's friends didn't follow through on their obligations.

I mean Russia gave them the full year that was agreed on to run their grain out of those ports (as well as military activities according to Russia) and then they let them have it when those facilities were no longer protected by the deal.. I don't know if Ukraine + friends could have expected anything else upon the expiry of a fixed term negotiated agreement they didn't honor.

**I mean the fact that Russia would even contemplate negotiating anything with these loving people after the bad faith they've demonstrated time and again is simply amazing to me, but maybe the West was actually counting on Russia continuing to be the biggest dupes of all time.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 07:43 on Jul 20, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1681826252921995264?s=20

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Starsfan posted:

I think it's kind of semantics, but there is a difference between Russia "pulling out of the deal" because Ukraine's friends didn't follow through on their obligations and the Russins refusing to negotiate an extension on a deal that had expired because Ukraine's friends didn't follow through on their obligations.

I mean Russia gave them the full year that was agreed on to run their grain out of those ports (as well as military activities according to Russia) and then they let them have it when those facilities were no longer protected by the deal.. I don't know if Ukraine + friends could have expected anything else upon the expiry of a fixed term negotiated agreement they didn't honor.

That’s a fair distinction to make, but note that when I said that I was commenting on why Ukraine sending the grain through Russia is not likely. It’s a weird thing to blow up over, I don’t care how tired and grumpy someone is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
mlmprian emerging from the depths again