Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is pop culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO15JVwBX7k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

goat sound clip

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's how you get firebats

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The thing about nu trek lacking professionalism is exactly why it doesn't hit the same as old trek imo, like the defining trait of Picard is he's a huge stiff and it's weird when he opens up (the scene of him singing a shanty in the lounge leading everyone to be suspicious comes to mind), or Sisko being a hard rear end you don't want to piss off. It makes the scenes of them opening up all the more enjoyable, like Picard's archaeology vacation or scenes with Sisko and Jake. When the whole crew goofs around there's no separation of those moments anymore

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

webcams for christ posted:

already a strong contender for Best Costume Design

I hope it's actually really gay and depraved like Lenny himself but not getting my hopes up

here's one of my favorite actual Bernstein clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoKZlcidbms

he wanted the late, great Jerry Hadley to sing Tony but DG insisted on hiring an internationally recognized tenor (Carreras) rather than the tenor Lenny essentially wrote the part for.

im sorry what does dg stand for here im afraid i dont know enough of the context to understand what youre talking about

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Star Wars sequels suffered a similar lack of professionalism. You can believe the OT Rebels have their poo poo together enough to win a war, the Sequel yahoos act more like Occupy and are just as effective.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Justin Tyme posted:

The thing about nu trek lacking professionalism is exactly why it doesn't hit the same as old trek imo, like the defining trait of Picard is he's a huge stiff and it's weird when he opens up (the scene of him singing a shanty in the lounge leading everyone to be suspicious comes to mind), or Sisko being a hard rear end you don't want to piss off. It makes the scenes of them opening up all the more enjoyable, like Picard's archaeology vacation or scenes with Sisko and Jake. When the whole crew goofs around there's no separation of those moments anymore

it's a weird pervasive Wholesomeness that makes it need to be comfy and positive to the overall detriment

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

i was done by the end of season 3. "jahr null" was such a complete misapprehension of american history and culture. the very assertion that american culture is inherently anti-fascist paves the way to fascism.

you might find this interesting i posted the full text of it in the modern history thread if youd rather read it on the somethingawful app for some reason

https://redsails.org/the-international-origins-of-nazism/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ram dass in hell posted:

firefly was dog poo poo there i said it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

its so boring, i dont get why it has such a strong following

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Maybe it's just because I post on SA and Twitter and not on Reddit but I haven't seen anyone say a positive thing about Firefly in at least ten years

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its so boring, i dont get why it has such a strong following

the cult of whedon getting deflated in recent years is one of the best things to happen

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

ram dass in hell posted:

firefly was dog poo poo there i said it

agreed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

speng31b posted:

the cult of whedon getting deflated in recent years is one of the best things to happen

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

im sorry what does dg stand for here im afraid i dont know enough of the context to understand what youre talking about

here's Hadley's Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_AArumG76U

rip

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

loquacius posted:

Maybe it's just because I post on SA and Twitter and not on Reddit but I haven't seen anyone say a positive thing about Firefly in at least ten years

I think Firefly was really great and it's a shame it was canceled, but it was only 14 episodes and a movie from 20 years ago with no hope for revival. Not much to say about it at this point.

Plus a lot of the internet fandom crowd hates Whedon now.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

if you want a space western watch babylon 5

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

if you want a space western watch babylon 5

ive tried several times to watch the few episodes over the past 20 years but i could never get into it. always bounced off hard

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
makes you wonder who's the Whedon of our times

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

YaketySass posted:

whedon, gunn, idk like half of the hollywoo liberal class

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

YaketySass posted:

Roiland

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
voyage of the Demeter is v good

speng31b
May 8, 2010

indigi posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

YaketySass posted:

your.

loving

MOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

indigi posted:

This seems impossible to believe and I do not.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

galagazombie posted:

The Star Wars sequels suffered a similar lack of professionalism. You can believe the OT Rebels have their poo poo together enough to win a war, the Sequel yahoos act more like Occupy and are just as effective.

Never considered this but it's totally true, anything involving the Hoth command staff or briefing scenes in ESB is a perfect example. Leia sounds like a military officer and not a school teacher giving gym class instruction like stuff from the sequels. I feel like they're better about letting nameless background characters pipe up too, so it feels like there's a lot more going on than the same ten people you see in other scenes standing around a hologram talking to each other. I could be way off base, I saw the sequels once when they came out and never again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I think firefly has interesting aesthetics and a couple good episode. Overall it isn't very good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
my favorite firefly episode was the one where the space prostitute poisons her vagina and then gets gang raped by space orks and the orks all die, and the captain shows up and is like wow, so brave, will you marry me m'lady??

She had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she's been horribly brutalized, and he comes in and he gets down on his knee, and he takes her hand. And he treats her like a lady. And that's the kind of stuff that we wanted to do. It was very dark. And this was actually the first story that Joss pitched to me when he asked me to come work on the show. He said, 'These are the kind of stories we're going to do.'

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Whoolighams posted:

it's a weird pervasive Wholesomeness that makes it need to be comfy and positive to the overall detriment

This is probably better than desperately trying to rip off BSG more than a decade after it was relevant

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

my favorite firefly episode was the one where the space prostitute poisons her vagina and then gets gang raped by space orks and the orks all die, and the captain shows up and is like wow, so brave, will you marry me m'lady??

Slava ukraini???

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Aren't they a bunch of space Confederates too

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

YaketySass posted:

It's absolutely Apatow, people keep on cribbing his style and that is how we end up with James Gunn movies.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

brugroffil posted:

Aren't they a bunch of space Confederates too

the secession in firefly was not about slavery altho the show never really peers deeply into what it was about other than some kind of vague libertarianism. that bit of worldbuilding exists to parallel the confederate presence in westerns tho for sure so they are symbolically confederates even if they aren't actually pro-slavery

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's absolutely Apatow, people keep on cribbing his style and that is how we end up with James Gunn movies.

more like lame gunt, am i right fellas?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A lot of writers these days can only write in one voice. Presumably anyone with talent is too busy trying to make ends meet and doesn't have time to infiltrate Hollywood

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Jazerus posted:

the secession in firefly was not about slavery altho the show never really peers deeply into what it was about other than some kind of vague libertarianism. that bit of worldbuilding exists to parallel the confederate presence in westerns tho for sure so they are symbolically confederates even if they aren't actually pro-slavery

It was about planetary governments rights!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

And my favourite episode of Breaking Bad is the one where Walt blows his son up with a grenade.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Tonight I watched The Moon, a South Korean film about an ROK manned moon landing mission

I thought it was excellent: right up there with Apollo 13 and The Martian in the annals of hard science space rescue movies

But there's also a certain cynicism to it - not only was the mission originally for material exploitation of the moon, the Korean space agency has to deal with an uncooperative and isolationist United States. It adds a great texture to the plot as a sort of reflection of foreign policy attitudes and realities.

how did you have access to it? from an actual theater or just on demand? i ask because while this movie is technically available to watch in the united states as of yesterday in maybe a couple of dozen random selected movie theaters the fact that youve even heard of it implies to me that it got a more consistent form of distribution in the philippines

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

speng31b posted:

last voyage of the demeter kicks rear end

It looks dope but theaters are an incredibly tough sell for me these days. Will have to remember to find it on streaming later. Agreed that this was one of the best parts of the Dracula book.

Justin Tyme posted:

Never considered this but it's totally true, anything involving the Hoth command staff or briefing scenes in ESB is a perfect example. Leia sounds like a military officer and not a school teacher giving gym class instruction like stuff from the sequels. I feel like they're better about letting nameless background characters pipe up too, so it feels like there's a lot more going on than the same ten people you see in other scenes standing around a hologram talking to each other. I could be way off base, I saw the sequels once when they came out and never again.

For some reason this made me think of all of the named actors who had cameos as Resistance no-names in the sequel trilogy, and how jarring it was to have any one of them on camera trying to pass for an extra. I'm thinking of Dom Mongaham's (sp? Charlie from LOST/Merry from LOTR) one line in Rise of Skywalker in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

galagazombie posted:

It was about planetary governments rights!
planetary rights to make it illegal to speak chinese