Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I learned that if you "active" idle, aka don't log out and just leave it running, drops dissapear after an hour. I weep for all the bean slices and coins that are languishing while I'm at work. :negative:

This isn't as bad as it seems, since you get ~25% effectiveness from offline grinding (iirc, I haven't played in a while and this number can be improved), so you'll have fewer drops (effectively 4 hour worth of fully offline drops) but much more experience. If you're low-level it probably works out to faster progress in the long run.

But agreed with the thread, far too much micro in keeping all your characters productive once you have more than 3 or so of them. Even if you have all the map teleports and don't bother keeping one character actively online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Thanatosian posted:

There are map teleports now that you get a limited number of daily (teleport straight to a specific zone) and there are potions that are fairly plentiful that teleport your back to town (you can buy a bunch a day for 1.5ish silver, and they're a drop as well). You can buy additional free dailies of each for gems; I've gotten one set of map teleports and no potions, and with five characters it's been fine.

One teleport (out) daily for 7-8 total characters was at least a dozen too few, by the time act 3 released it was like 15-20 minutes of just walking the characters to all the daily locations they had to finish. It was so incredibly tedious I just quit playing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

One teleport (out) daily for 7-8 total characters was at least a dozen too few, by the time act 3 released it was like 15-20 minutes of just walking the characters to all the daily locations they had to finish. It was so incredibly tedious I just quit playing.

There is now a bribe that gets you four more per day, and the gem purchases get you seven more each per day.

I only started playing recently, and yeah, the game would be way more of a drag without a dozen teleports per day.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

What is the goon idleon guild and how do i join?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

where do plasmids come from when you're playing the game and not resetting in evolve?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You get a small amount of plasmids every time you complete a Gene Mutation. It's the only way to get plasmid bonuses with the No Starting Plasmid gene active.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rynoto posted:

You get a small amount of plasmids every time you complete a Gene Mutation. It's the only way to get plasmid bonuses with the No Starting Plasmid gene active.

oh I never considered that, that's cool.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Meskhenet posted:

What is the goon idleon guild and how do i join?

Pizza is free is the guild, I'll try and hop on tomorrow afternoon to process the queue, have fun

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ingame details about a new prestige in the synergism discord

"The only thing that you keep on singularity is
-golden quarks (singularity resource)
-singularity count
-non refundable quark upgrades
- quark hepteract
- some quark gain boosts
You gain:
- golden quarks
- +1 to singularity count
- +10% Quark bonus (permanent, per singularity)
- +12.5% Ascension Count (again permanent)
Modifiers:
game speed: /(singularity+1)
cube gains: /(1 + singularity^2 / 16)
research costs: * (1 + singularity)
cube upgrade costs: * (1 + singularity)"

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Aurora posted:

ingame details about a new prestige in the synergism discord

"The only thing that you keep on singularity is
-golden quarks (singularity resource)
-singularity count
-non refundable quark upgrades
- quark hepteract
- some quark gain boosts
You gain:
- golden quarks
- +1 to singularity count
- +10% Quark bonus (permanent, per singularity)
- +12.5% Ascension Count (again permanent)
Modifiers:
game speed: /(singularity+1)
cube gains: /(1 + singularity^2 / 16)
research costs: * (1 + singularity)
cube upgrade costs: * (1 + singularity)"

Without knowing what you can do with the new resource, that sounds awful. Everything gets harder and you get almost no benefits. And this means you're redoing the entire early game, except much more slowly.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

there's apparently going to be a lot of upgrades to buy that speed up the downtime but yeah i'm not a fan of the modifiers

supposedly this batch of content (i think it's not all coming at once) will be the end of the game being updated so singularities are essentially just if you want to mess around and keep playing once you reach the hepteract stage

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Aurora posted:

there's apparently going to be a lot of upgrades to buy that speed up the downtime but yeah i'm not a fan of the modifiers

supposedly this batch of content (i think it's not all coming at once) will be the end of the game being updated so singularities are essentially just if you want to mess around and keep playing once you reach the hepteract stage

ah yes, the paperclips "do you want to play the game again" prestige mechanic

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

what does the steelen challenge in evolve unlock. not very good at telling me what the point of the challenge was

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Aurora posted:

what does the steelen challenge in evolve unlock. not very good at telling me what the point of the challenge was

10% extra steel smelting at 4*. You can check the wiki under perks. Here

It's a good buff.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I want to like Evolve (I'm up to mining coal) but I feel like I am continually up against the storage limits and I can't leave it alone very long because it will hit storage limits but also it takes long enough to do so that it's frustrating to keep a close eye on, and it's in this dead zone of active vs passive where neither feels good.

(Also it keeps crashing its Firefox tab but I think that's just my install.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

I want to like Evolve (I'm up to mining coal) but I feel like I am continually up against the storage limits and I can't leave it alone very long because it will hit storage limits but also it takes long enough to do so that it's frustrating to keep a close eye on, and it's in this dead zone of active vs passive where neither feels good.

(Also it keeps crashing its Firefox tab but I think that's just my install.)

You're not the only one. I've tried to pick it up 5-6 times and it just doesn't stick. I love how it has tons of choices and options and the choices you make change the game, but I just don't enjoy the gameplay loop that much (even with that auto battle script from a couple pages back). It is a really cool game, but I just keep bouncing off of it.

I started WAMI with my NGUIdle game nearing THE END, and it's okay. There's a lot of parts that open all at the same time and not a lot of good popups or complete info on the help tabs. Explaining the game was one of the real strengths of NGU and it's pop ups and hover text (and WTF). I do wish game designers paid better attention to that part of it. It's not always pleasant to be trying to figure out mechanics without any stats or a single pop up that goes away and never comes back after you open the feature. Seriously, there's a yellow bar under Souls (an important currency), but there's nothing that says it's an EXP bar, or where you can get EXP from. Does it only come from Spells? Why does it go up so slowly sometimes and so quickly others. I've figured out many of these answers I think, but is there a cap to how many you can get? There's just not information being given to me by the game in a few different places that needs to be cleaned up.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Does IT HUNGERS require multiple GLOPs at higher tiers? I made five before starting in on V2 and every time I fight it I find 2 missing from my inventory. Is this normal?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Does IT HUNGERS require multiple GLOPs at higher tiers? I made five before starting in on V2 and every time I fight it I find 2 missing from my inventory. Is this normal?

You should still only need 1 per attempt, until you're AKing it where you don't need any. So after 5 on each level you should be fine unless you're manual killing it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Jhet posted:

You should still only need 1 per attempt, until you're AKing it where you don't need any. So after 5 on each level you should be fine unless you're manual killing it.

I haven't killed it yet- I made five GLOPs and they're all gone after three attempts.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Jhet posted:

I started WAMI with my NGUIdle game nearing THE END, and it's okay. There's a lot of parts that open all at the same time and not a lot of good popups or complete info on the help tabs. Explaining the game was one of the real strengths of NGU and it's pop ups and hover text (and WTF). I do wish game designers paid better attention to that part of it. It's not always pleasant to be trying to figure out mechanics without any stats or a single pop up that goes away and never comes back after you open the feature. Seriously, there's a yellow bar under Souls (an important currency), but there's nothing that says it's an EXP bar, or where you can get EXP from. Does it only come from Spells? Why does it go up so slowly sometimes and so quickly others. I've figured out many of these answers I think, but is there a cap to how many you can get? There's just not information being given to me by the game in a few different places that needs to be cleaned up.

At the very least it's pretty clear on mobile; There's a question mark button that explains it.

(FWIW you can get up to 10,000 souls a day from spells, conjuring, town, and meditation. Any other source of souls are technically unlimited, but they're on timers.)

Also souls becomes much less of an issue once you finish time loop 3; you can then effectively just spam the reincarnation button until you max out on souls for the day.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 24, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

I haven't killed it yet- I made five GLOPs and they're all gone after three attempts.

They're only good for 7-8 (? iirc) attacks though, so if you're getting attacked more than 8 times it may eat another? I've never looked at it that way or tested it either.

Arzaac posted:

At the very least it's pretty clear on mobile; There's a question mark button that explains it.

(FWIW you can get up to 10,000 souls a day from spells, conjuring, town, and meditation. Any other source of souls are technically unlimited, but they're on timers.)

Also souls becomes much less of an issue once you finish time loop 3; you can then effectively just spam the reincarnation button until you max out on souls for the day.

Well that's good for people on mobile, but I'm on the steam version because I don't have an android device or have any desire to play this on a phone. There's none of that there, and the info in the Info page is a bit sparse. I just can't even imagine trying to fat finger press the hundred different inputs in the game without a stylus and that's just not going to happen.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I bounced off Evolve when I tried to play it dry, but if you get the script that automates building and researching things once you have enough resources then it becomes a good game.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I don't understand how idle authors with popular automation scripts don't just like, add them to the game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Jhet posted:

They're only good for 7-8 (? iirc) attacks though, so if you're getting attacked more than 8 times it may eat another? I've never looked at it that way or tested it either.

This is what it is- I tried fighting IT HUNGERS with only one GLOP and after a bit it became invincible because the GLOP expired. Thanks!

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Feline Mind Meld posted:

I don't understand how idle authors with popular automation scripts don't just like, add them to the game.

I think most of them would view adding the script as a direct admission that they made an unfun, needlessly tedious game.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Bedurndurn posted:

I think most of them would view adding the script as a direct admission that they made an unfun, needlessly tedious game.

i mean i guess it's better to be stubborn and wrong than to admit you're wrong and make your game better or something

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I tried Synergism again and I hit a problem I keep seeing in idle games; after the game is updated for a while they speed early game up so hard you just ignore it. I almost unlocked ants within a single day, but I remember spending like a week on that whole section, or at least 4-5 days. This type of thing kills idle games for me, I don't want to just artificially blitz through early stuff, I want to actually play around with it and have those numbers in my head for a while, not go from nothing to "you have e5000 gold" within an hour.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So, I'm hankering for a "numbers go up" game.
What's good on Android right now?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I've been enjoying Idle Apocalypse which may have gotten mentioned already upthread. Really good production values for an idler--gorgeous pixel art, catchy music, and some legitimately funny writing--and an interesting core gameplay loop involving the interrelated production of various resources from various floors of your tower.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

GetDunked posted:

I've been enjoying Idle Apocalypse which may have gotten mentioned already upthread. Really good production values for an idler--gorgeous pixel art, catchy music, and some legitimately funny writing--and an interesting core gameplay loop involving the interrelated production of various resources from various floors of your tower.

Played a little bit of this, there's some ok ideas here with how resource production tiers interact. But then it's also your standard mobile idle game that wants you to watch endless ads every couple minutes to have reasonable production.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i just got cards someone give me some general advice for how to do these

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Aurora posted:

in NGU? It's been a while and I'm not an expert but:

- Don't cast meh tier cards or lower (bad, crappy IIRC), yeet them for space
- PP, QP, and ADV cards are always valuable for casting, but you should probably focus on Wish cards to start with.
- Start looking considering getting card tiers up for QP/PP/ADV/Wish. Tiers drastically affect how much of the stat you'll get from casting, T1 -> T2 is something like 40%.
- Make sure to tag whatever card type you're interested in seeing
- If you can swing the AP buy the extra tag from the shop - the math around multiple tags is that they're applied separately for each tag, which makes tag rate up even more valuable, though you probably don't have to worry about that for a while.
- The Mayo fruits and Infuser are not really worth it at the start. The fruits scale with your mayo speed, and since you just unlocked cards they're as slow as they'll ever be, so don't feel obligated to max them. Infusers are bad value for similar reasons

EDIT:
- The AP shop extra mayo generators are bad value, do not buy them either.

In hindsight cards are really fuckin lovely and slow to start off, and you won't feel remotely good about them until you get like, T4ish for a card, so don't stress about them being bad.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 30, 2021

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I have such a love-hate with evolve idle. Making actually meaningful progress feels like pulling teeth due to the storage mechanic, but the act of exploring new aspects of the game is top notch.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
I played Spaceplan, and boy does the clicker genre awkwardly interact with a linear narrative. Felt like I was babysitting the number the whole time, because if it went too high while I was idle I might miss story beats. Universal paperclip is a better version of the same thing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aurora posted:

I don’t know why, but I didn’t need Wish cards like many others seem to have. Adventure cards are S-tier and there have been times where I buy them all regardless of ratings.

PP and QP are both right behind Adv, and I found more utility with Hacks and E/M NGU after that. Wish are fine, but I didn’t need them to be able to go faster. May have had something to do with how I ran my wishes until the most useful ones were done quickly and I was into the B and C tier wishes before even getting cards. Figure out what you need most and lean into that. Good and higher are going to be the most efficient, but it needs the balance between that and not sitting back a zone or not getting enough NGU productivity or whatever is falling behind.

I will say because I leaned into NGUs early enough that I was able to BB most of them fairly quickly in Sad just like Evil.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rynoto posted:

10% extra steel smelting at 4*. You can check the wiki under perks. Here

It's a good buff.

it's kind of annoying how the technophobe challenge has the thing you'd actually want from steelen, which is 'start with 25 steel', but you don't unlock technophobe for a long-rear end time.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

IMO, hindsight wisdom from the endgame, despite whatever you might need at the time you unlock cards, you should be pushing QP as much as you can. Other boosts for QP run out fairly quickly, even maxing the hack doesn't make up for what you could've had by tagging QP cards from the beginning. Blue pills are cheap enough to run them occasionally for extra PP; beta pots exist for boosting NGUs when you transition to doing weekly (or longer) rebirths due to :effort: in late sad, but you're never going to be able to afford enough butter to get more QP constantly.

I'm near the end of collecting the END pieces and QP is going to be the last one I get, probably 6-8 weeks after the rest. Once I finish everything else I'll probably just go back to manualing quests to get QP out of the way faster.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Roflex posted:

I'm near the end of collecting the END pieces and QP is going to be the last one I get, probably 6-8 weeks after the rest. Once I finish everything else I'll probably just go back to manualing quests to get QP out of the way faster.

True for me as well: Got the END perk today, so just waiting for the adventure stats to beat the traitor... plus another 6 million QP. I spent some AP on Beast Butter so I might get the QP first, but I'm really not sure.

Also, whoever said card tiers are the most important improvement, yeah. And if you want some more end-game hindsight: Daycare cards were never worth it, Drops you'll probably finish needing bonus before you get the last tiers, Augments/Wandoos are only worth it when you're done other stuff. Gold/TM Speed too once you get a decent sized multipliers. I focused on Adventure stats the whole time, wishes and hacks early, then QP/PP once I finished all Evil and early Sad tier-ups for those, and NGUs once I could BB Sadistic NGUs to make sure I didn't outpace my multiplier and lose the BB.

I do disagree that mayo generators are bad value. A 2% speed bonus is close to what you get for finishing all 10 levels of a perk, quirk or wish for mayo speed. And if you go offline for long periods it's nice to not come back to wildly disparate mayo levels. But if AP is scarce it's probably true you could skip them until it's more plentiful.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
https://kinda.fun/sisyphus

honestly I'm amazed no one's made sisyphus clicker before this, its the ultimate endpoint of the genre really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Anfauglir posted:

https://kinda.fun/sisyphus

honestly I'm amazed no one's made sisyphus clicker before this, its the ultimate endpoint of the genre really

Yeah, but Zeno's Paradox was the real midpoint of the genre.