Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

Who the gently caress moves back in with their parents

Poor people and rich people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mx. posted:

WIBTA for not paying for my girlfriend's exterminator.

Literally one pregnant female can cause an entire infestation (inbreeding is no problem for bedbugs). That kind of poo poo is why you have to be paranoid about them, and why they are so hard to actually exterminate.

Beachcomber posted:

I know DDT is bad, but would it really be so harmful if we just used it indoors?
DDT is one of the safest pesticides for vertebrates, :actually:. The devastation it caused was due to the bonkers insane amounts used. It's all a moot point now, because pests have resistance to it.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 17, 2023

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It used to be Shithouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_e4U265EvE

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

Five years ago I had to live with my mother for a year due to circumstances and I would honestly die in the streets before repeating anything like that.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

My [24F] best friend is a 35-year-old man and everyone acts like this is super weird. Is it?

quote:

I met my friend “J” through work about a year and a half ago and hit it off. This is gonna sound a little snobby but we were the only two who were ever not on our phones in the break room and usually reading instead, so one day he asked what I was reading and that was that.

We discovered we have quite a bit in common, from a shared love of fairly obscure book series to history, traveling, and even birdwatching. BIRDWATCHING! I’ve never met anyone else who cared at all about that.

There was never once I looked at him “like that” and it was all of maybe two weeks after we started talking that I found out he’s gay and in a relationship anyhow, so I didn’t feel like there was anything wrong with this, or anything to hide.

Well…I wound up dumping my boyfriend over it. He became a huge, controlling, possessive rear end in a top hat and really showed his true colors. I tried to be understanding at first - it’s not crazy for a guy to feel threatened by his girlfriend spending time with another man, and I knew he didn’t think men and women could be friends.

But after I told my boyfriend about J being gay, it actually made it worse. He called me a liar! He said J was “too big and manly” to be gay. I wish I was joking, I really do, but legit this was his response. It was at that moment my attraction to him dropped to zero and I started wondering what I ever saw in him to begin with. We broke up shortly after and J also became single around this time, for unrelated reasons.

Since then, I’ve only loosely dated one other guy and he seemed similarly bothered by my friend, so it didn’t go anywhere.

J is my best friend at this point so our lives have overlapped a lot. We are admittedly an odd pair, which we recognize and have laughed at. He’s 35. I’m 24. He’s 6’4. I’m 5’2. He’s a guy and I’m a girl. Our differences pretty much end there though. I’m by far the youngest of his friends but until I told him how old I was when my birthday came up, he thought I was in my late 20s.

We see each other at least once per week outside of work and text all of the time. It’s a little less lately since J got a boyfriend, and I tried to be respectful and fade into the background a little but his boyfriend is cool and has invited me for things as well lmao.

The only people who seem to have an issue are the people in my life and it makes me feel so weird and annoyed. I’ve had such gross reactions from people. Someone once said he’s “grooming” me, knowing literally nothing about our relationship beyond the age difference.

My parents are also very bothered by me having a male friend older than me as well and I’m very disappointed that has been their reaction. I’ve never had many friends period, even when I was a kid I was a loner without much in common with other kids, so if anything I thought they’d be happy. Actually, I didn’t expect them to have much of a reaction at all given that I’m 24, not 14.

Well, J and I are planning a trip next month, about a 7hr road trip to Branson. I mention this in passing to my parents and they were clearly really uncomfortable and insisted that I check in with them the whole time. It honestly made me angry. I've traveled alone and they have never done this aside from "text us when you get there" so it's rather obvious why they are now.

We’re both adults and I’m not stupid, I can see red flags like anyone else and there haven’t been any. To be clear, I have no intention of ruining this friendship, I'm just looking for different perspectives, and how to deal with these weird attitudes.

TL;DR: I am really good friends with a 35-year-old man I met at work and I'm 24F. Everyone acts like this is weird and inappropriate but I don't see the problem. I even broke up with my boyfriend over it. I don't understand what the big deal is and my parents are unhappy I'm going on a road trip with him.

I thought this was kind of interesting because you don't really see a whole lot of mixed gender, (borderline) intergenerational friendships. And everyone in op's life is falling over themselves because they believe the worst situation is happening, when they aren't really listening to op at all. This really is some straight people poo poo.

But still... Branson?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
you should do what i do and simply avoid misfortune and disaster

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

DemoneeHo posted:

My [24F] best friend is a 35-year-old man and everyone acts like this is super weird. Is it?

I thought this was kind of interesting because you don't really see a whole lot of mixed gender, (borderline) intergenerational friendships. And everyone in op's life is falling over themselves because they believe the worst situation is happening, when they aren't really listening to op at all. This really is some straight people poo poo.

But still... Branson?

had to look it up, they're taking a road trip to missouri. ew

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Branson: Road Trip to Misery

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

quote:

He said J was “too big and manly” to be gay.

loving amazing.

Its too bad we just changed the title because I like this one.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

It’s the nashville of missourah

https://youtu.be/vgFgaV_-KfA

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like something happened in Branson at some point but I can't remember it for the life of me.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I feel like something happened in Branson at some point but I can't remember it for the life of me.

You’re thinking of Bronson, Missouri

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

limp_cheese posted:

loving amazing.

Its too bad we just changed the title because I like this one.

The new title covers this too, it's great.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Bedbug dude just needs to seal the place up, crank the furnace and blast a couple humidifiers for a day or so. Might have some unintended side effects, though.

AITA for not wanting to stay at my gf’s house when her 3 cats are infested with fleas?
Not the A-hole

quote:

I (19M) have never had pets and have been with my s/o for about 6 months now. Around the 4 month mark (summertime) my gf’s 3 cats started itching uncontrollably and I saw fleas crawling on them.

I stay over easily 5 nights out of the week and sleep in the same bed with her. Only problem is, so do the cats.

Now, me never having animals, having them in the bed all the time is a change definitely & not just because of the bugs. I sucked it up for a while because it’s not my house, until I started waking up with extremely itchy bites on my ankles and even my hands. The worst was literally a bite on my butt cheek.

She seems to never get bitten and therefore sees no real problem with the fleas. Even went so far as to say they can still come on the bed because they’re cute. I am going crazy about it. I am constantly itching to the point where the bites are scabbing up.

I’m not sure if I am overreacting as I have never owned a cat & do not know if this is normal or not. Am I the rear end in a top hat for not wanting to come over anymore if the cats are going to be sleeping in the same bed as us?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

rotinaj posted:

You’re thinking of Bronson, Missouri

Only if you have a death wish

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
While the dude is not the rear end in a top hat for having an issue with it, it’s hard as gently caress to get fleas out of the situation if there is an easy way for the infested pets to get reinfested

Seeing as i have a big fenced in backyard that has deer, woodchucks, groundhogs, and whatever the gently caress else is back there, my dogs will go outside, roll in the grass, get new fleas and bring them back inside

It is super goddamned annoying

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ugh, these pro bug people keep coming up and I just don't get it. I've been at other people's houses with a flea problem and I'm getting bitten even just in an afternoon visit. There's no way in hell these people are mysteriously immune to bugs in their own home, they just have some weird tolerance threshold where they can't see a problem.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It's wild to me you'd even think you were the rear end in a top hat. That's disgusting. You might as well say "hey come stay the night I rubbed poo poo all over the walls!"

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

I have bad news for you about these past couple generations in the US. And most of the rest of the world. And pretty much all of human history.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for demolishing my daughter's room after she moved out?

It seems like the issue isn’t necessarily that they did this, just that they did it super quickly right after she moved out and without bringing it up to her at all, so it was a surprise that it was happening.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My mother had basically already converted the room into a dining room the last years I lived with my parents. I slept on a chaise longue. When I moved out she just threw out my desk. (I moved out as soon as I could after finishing school, like everyone else here.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

8one6 posted:

How dare you remodel your home instead of keeping my old room preserved in amber on the chance I want to move back.

You may have heard of summer break? She's 18, not 21.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Das Boo posted:

My last name is four letters long and I still automatically spell it everytime I have to give it. Otherwise poo poo gets wild.

My last name is three letters long and I still spell it. Because I've had it misprinted before (usually to hilarious effect, but still).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

My last name is three letters long and I still spell it. Because I've had it misprinted before (usually to hilarious effect, but still).

Knew a guy named Hjort and the best misspelling of the name I saw was Juurinen.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

It seems like the issue isn’t necessarily that they did this, just that they did it super quickly right after she moved out and without bringing it up to her at all, so it was a surprise that it was happening.

Idk I think if you own a house you're allowed to change it whenever you want. The daughter doesn't live there any more

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ugh, these pro bug people keep coming up and I just don't get it. I've been at other people's houses with a flea problem and I'm getting bitten even just in an afternoon visit. There's no way in hell these people are mysteriously immune to bugs in their own home, they just have some weird tolerance threshold where they can't see a problem.

Some people literally don't have a reaction to bug bites of different forms and it's wild.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You may have heard of summer break? She's 18, not 21.

Ah yes, the super-common "moving in with my boyfriend for the summer before coming back home, without telling my parents" scenario

Killingyouguy! posted:

Idk I think if you own a house you're allowed to change it whenever you want. The daughter doesn't live there any more

Bingo. Not to mention they said she could come back if she wanted/needed to, so it's not even a big deal.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 17, 2023

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

Yes you can. You would also be the rear end in a top hat to do it as a surprise.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hughlander posted:

Yes you can. You would also be the rear end in a top hat to do it as a surprise.

Why would you need to inform someone who doesn't live at your house that you're changing your house lmao

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

ChaseSP posted:

Some people literally don't have a reaction to bug bites of different forms and it's wild.

It's true, plus some people are just weirdly tasty to bugs.
I have had a situation where my dog brought home a few fleas and the little fuckers bit me rather than the dog.
I was sure we had a budding infestation when I woke up with a bunch of flea bites, then found 3 sluggish fleas in my bed, but that was literally it, no more fleas after I killed those three.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Ah yes, the super-common "moving in with my boyfriend for the summer before coming back home, without telling my parents" scenario

Bingo. Not to mention they said she could come back if she wanted/needed to, so it's not even a big deal.

What happens when she's 19, she's broken up with her boyfriend, and it turns out summer came around again? No big deal deal, kiddo, we've got a great couch for you in our massive new living room that you can crash on for three months.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I definitely would not visit my parents if i did not have a goddamn bed to sleep in

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA For getting up and lining up to exit the airplane before the people in front of me got up?
I know it's several pages back and I already responded, but the fact that this was a Southwest flight finally clicked in my brain because two of my three most insane experiences on a plane were on Southwest:

• Had a guy respond to the "please allow anyone with a connecting flight to deplane first" announcement by stretching an arm across the aisle and loudly pouting "WAIT YOUR TURN"; he morphed into a white-hot screaming ball of fragile masculinity when I ducked under his arm and continued past.

• Gate agent wanted everyone boarding to play some fuckin' camp counselor icebreaker game, and when I put my headphones in and ignored it he tried to have me thrown off the flight. Finally, grudgingly, allowed me to board as the absolute last person. Same flight was then late for takeoff because the flight attendants turned the safety demonstration into a full improv set, and wouldn't move on until they got suggestions and a volunteer from "the audience".

That second one is where I started assuming Southwest and anyone flying it was part of a weird cult, which I refuse to ever get involved with again.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Why would you need to inform someone who doesn't live at your house that you're changing your house lmao

Because it's your child and you love her.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

HellOnEarth posted:

Because it's your child and you love her.

That is assuming a lot about killingyouguy!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pretty amazed that anybody is defending the room-demolishing parents. Are they, like, allowed to? Sure. But it's cold as gently caress. It's like a parody of heartless empty nesters. I bet they were always lovely parents.

Foo Diddley posted:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But now they have a proper living room.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
If my parents did that to my bedroom, I would assume that was an indication they never wanted to see me at home again. Have these people never heard of a guest bedroom?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I wonder how they managed to do all this without even... casually mentioning it to her? Like nobody said "Now that you're moving out, we can finally have a proper living room" or anything? Nobody ever complained about construction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
E: ^^ right??? The suddenness with which they apparently sprang “your room doesn’t exist anymore” on her is wild.

Killingyouguy! posted:

You’re allowed to do lots of things that land you in this thread.