Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Gazpacho posted:

oh look, another doofus who thinks that any game that hits the right nerd buttons is above criticism

I could go on about what I think about TW2 / TW3 because it's frustrating if you think a game will be fun and it subjectively isn't.
It's a shame you don't like it, because like a Jehovah's witness, we just want you to share in our joy.

(also there's several shotguns).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't silence the regular pistol in vanilla Deus Ex either
Pretty sure you can and it's better to do so because it does more damage than the Stealth Pistol.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

At this point Deus Ex is for me mostly about thinking up a run that I haven't tried before and then trying how it works out - I remember that the first time around I just modded the basic pistol into a 100% accurate murder machine that got me up to Area 51 without trouble. Now it's more fun to decide on a specific build and the right mods and e.g. try out a hulking heavy weapons and explosives tank that unfortunately can't shoot anything else worth a drat or do poo poo when forced to engage in melee. Fortunately the GEP gun is the most effective way to eliminate Manderley.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I can't tell if this is a real post

In the age of hand holding video games, one poster has the courage to complain that his hand was not held enough!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

I can quote most of deus ex lines off the top of my head, but not Walton Simon's in the boss fights because I think 9 times out of 10 I just speed aug and jump past him and leave him at the bottom of the ocean
lol @ being lectured on fighting simons by people who skip the fight

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

rocket_man38 posted:

So which is better, revision or GMDX?

gmdx seems to take steps to round off the weird edges like making the ai a bit smarter and balancing the augmentations, along with fleshing out some of the more barren levels. revision seems to just add a load of visual clutter and light bloom along with pointlessly increasing the size of some levels with nothing to fill them. go with gmdx

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

myDad posted:

I got to that part in Prey where Alex wants me to learn Alien spells, but it sounds like a trap

Gonna max out combat focus & security weapons instead. Can anyone confirm it is indeed a trap?

I went full human and didn't look back and it's really powerful. The way you can stack abilities is ridiculous. You can crouch for the sneaking bonus, buy up that combat bonus, buy up the gun bonuses, and just one shot most things with a shotgun. Or 10 shot things down really fast with the silenced pistol. I tried a second play through and got about half-way in going full alien powers and....ehhhh. They didn't feel as good to me. Oh and the fully upgraded shock gun just obliterates bots later, and is always nonlethal for humans, so you don't need powers for that either.

About it being a trap. It's not. It just affects one game mechanic. Read the spoiler below if you want to know what that mechanic is.

It make a giant beast called the Nightmare come after you more often. There is a way to make it leave you alone though. Also once you get strong enough it's hardly a threat.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 12, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sagebrush posted:

I can quote most of deus ex lines off the top of my head, but not Walton Simon's in the boss fights because I think 9 times out of 10 I just speed aug and jump past him and leave him at the bottom of the ocean

If you leave him alive doesn't he show up for a rematch at Area 51? Or is that just a Shifter/Biomod thing like Smuggler's friend actually showing up at his place if you rescue him from the MJ12 sewer base or being able to eavesdrop on a phone call at one of the desks in the base leading up to Lebedev's air field.

Lunchabully posted:

if you liked the first one you'll like the second but you'll get to the end and be like "yeah, that was nice but I'm done". It's really pretty and plays well and has a well-realized world but it's a sequel in the truest sense. It takes absolutely no risks and is really just more of the same game.

also if you're the kind of person who cares about plot in their murder simulators it doesn't even bother with the kind of predictable "twist" that the first one had. you'll know within 15 minutes of playing the game exactly how the story will go

I haven't played Dishonored 2 yet because I've been burned by Bethesda's DLC pricing schemes in the past* but the fact that the sequel also takes place during a plague because That's What Dishonored Is About I Guess seems really lazy and uninspired.

*I still haven't played the DLC for the original Dishonored because they do that thing where buying the DLC for the base game is always more expensive than buying the Super Deluxe GOAT Platinum Edition that has everything bundled into a separate executable so they can artificially inflate their sales numbers

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
can i put in a good word here for the Deus Ex death scream? people make fun of it, but personally I want games to rub my face in it when I die. I've seen several games lately that try to make the player death sequence "pretty" by dubbing in a chime or a trombone as you're vaporized. it's not the right emotional experience.

other games with good death sequences: dead space, alien isolation

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

jc denton...in da fresh!

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Gazpacho posted:

can i put in a good word here for the Deus Ex death scream? people make fun of it, but personally I want games to rub my face in it when I die. I've seen several games lately that try to make the player death sequence "pretty" by dubbing in a chime or a trombone as you're vaporized. it's not the right emotional experience.

other games with good death sequences: dead space, alien isolation

Megaman X4 made me feel like poo poo when I died

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Gazpacho posted:

i watched some let's play prey vids and it turns out i walked right past the shotgun because it wasn't presented clearly.
There are at least 2 shotguns to find in the 2nd area of Prey as well as other weapons. Besides being guided to pickup the first gloo gun in the first area, I don't remember there being any weapons that are obviously placed in your path. Meanwhile there are extra weapons and ammo all over the place for you to find, because it is a game about exploration, just like Deus Ex.

Gazpacho posted:

doom 2 starts you off looking straight at the shotgun and forces you to pick it up
No it doesn't, what are you talking about? There are three weapon pickups in the first level of Doom2 and all of them are hidden and tagged as secret.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Alright you fuckers, I'm going to get Prey because it sounds real good.

I tried playing alpha Protocol again but I always forget how atrocious the PC port is.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Started up Deus Ex for the first time in a while with the new GMDX mod.

Rescued Ford Shick for the first time ever. Always knew where the MJ12 base was but I guess I never realized it went wayyy further than I thought. Poor guy has been left to die in every other one of my playthroughs LOL.

I need to start accumulating boxes of boom and LAMs for Denton's Last Stand at the Battle of the 'Ton. Then ceremoniously swan dive off the roof.

Anyone ever notice all the levels take place at night? Been playing with no lights and my blinds closed. :tinfoil:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's not night, he just wears sunglasses

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

a bone to pick posted:

I tried playing alpha Protocol again but I always forget how atrocious the PC port is.

Check out the thread in games also.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'll take the 30-ought-6.

Also, abuse the poo poo out of the experience glitch at the sea base.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I used to constantly dump points into heavy and use the LAW/GEP for 50% of encounters and the maxed out pistol for the rest. Taking down the MJ12 and MIBs in the Paris Catacombs is a joke with the GEP cause of the confined surfaces and the helpful "feature" that they self destruct each other LMAO.

I'm having a hard time NOT doing this again this playthrough.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Do an auto shotty run breh

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

numberoneposter posted:

Anyone ever notice all the levels take place at night? Been playing with no lights and my blinds closed. :tinfoil:
I had a long argument with a classmate in school about whether the whole game takes place over a single night or not

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I miss the old kind a video game where they were actually puzzles and stuff. Now every game you have to do some stupid questions like collect 20 huge green grapes to proceed. It's pathetic and I miss the old games

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OMG JC a bomb!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Copper Vein posted:

No it doesn't, what are you talking about? There are three weapon pickups in the first level of Doom2 and all of them are hidden and tagged as secret.
I was wrong about Doom 2 but not about the others and i could easily annoy people with additional examples

any game that draws heavily from RPG rule systems gets an automatic "clunkiness" mark from me and needs something to offset it. in Deus Ex this is the story, characters and music. this is not necessarily an issue with RPGs as such, more with their remarketing in a pared-down, intensely individualistic form

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 13, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

a bone to pick posted:

Do it man. It's seriously System Shock 3 with a different name and slightly different setting. I've been glued to it since trying it out a couple nights ago.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ilmucche posted:

I'll take the 30-ought-6.

Also, abuse the poo poo out of the experience glitch at the sea base.

Heh, I totally forgot it was a 30-06.
Ideal for a silent takedown.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Flubby posted:

I went full human and didn't look back and it's really powerful. The way you can stack abilities is ridiculous. You can crouch for the sneaking bonus, buy up that combat bonus, buy up the gun bonuses, and just one shot most things with a shotgun. Or 10 shot things down really fast with the silenced pistol. I tried a second play through and got about half-way in going full alien powers and....ehhhh. They didn't feel as good to me. Oh and the fully upgraded shock gun just obliterates bots later, and is always nonlethal for humans, so you don't need powers for that either.

About it being a trap. It's not. It just affects one game mechanic. Read the spoiler below if you want to know what that mechanic is.

It make a giant beast called the Nightmare come after you more often. There is a way to make it leave you alone though. Also once you get strong enough it's hardly a threat.

Also if you take the alien powers the alien dna in your system will cause the turrets to start recognizing you as an enemy unless you hack them

But the game is really well balanced either way. In contrast to what this guy did, I went with mostly hacking abilities and alien powers, and the level 3 exploding brain power is ridiculously good bc it shuts down typhon psi abilities (so the huge floating guys become a joke) and does enough damage to one-shot vaporize the basic phantoms. And it's even better if you find the side mission to make the whole station's water supply psychoactive, so that drinking from a sink recharges a huge chunk of your psi energy

And yeah it really is System Shock 3 in all but name. You even start out with a wrench and the first code in the game is duhh

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Heh, I totally forgot it was a 30-06.
Ideal for a silent takedown.

My first time through Deus Ex I upgraded rifles as quickly as possible and stuck the first silencer you come across (plus every accuracy and recoil mod I found) on the sniper rifle, and by the time you go to Hong Kong it's comically easy. The only thing stopping you from *pew*ing every bad guy in the game from a hundred yards away in the shadows is the lack of sniper rifle ammo.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 13, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

canpakes posted:

I miss the old kind a video game where they were actually puzzles and stuff. Now every game you have to do some stupid questions like collect 20 huge green grapes to proceed. It's pathetic and I miss the old games

Such classic Deus Ex puzzles as "use code on keypad", "use key on door", and "use hacking and lockpick skill to open door without using key"

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Casimir Radon posted:

I didn't realize GMDX won't let you silence the regular pistol so I was dropping upgrades on it until I got a silencer and it kind of ruined my day. Also all the new upgrades they created apparently aren't in 8.0.

Uhhhh yeah you can

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Such classic Deus Ex puzzles as "use code on keypad", "use key on door", and "use hacking and lockpick skill to open door without using key"

Use a GEP Gun take down on Manderly

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

OMG JC a bomb!

A bomb!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i don't know about you guys, but i enjoy exploring detailed 3d environments in games such as Deus Ex, Prey, and Dishonored. There are some sneaky sneaky hidden secrets in Prey if you look really hard.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

prey is good but i dont think its quite what these gentlemen itt make it out to be

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

a bone to pick posted:

I tried playing ap once and got stuck at a hacking minigame that refused to work with my mouse for some reason and then never tried it again. PC port was terrible.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
The level design changes in Revision are confusing. The re designed new york hub is confusing as gently caress. Probably going to stick with GMDX.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

rocket_man38 posted:

The level design changes in Revision are confusing. The re designed new york hub is confusing as gently caress. Probably going to stick with GMDX.

just play vanilla

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
There's really not a special ending for avoiding all alien powers? I guess I should be pleased :shrug: they do sound fun

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Neurosis posted:

Uhhhh yeah you can
It wouldn't let me do it. The green space around the box didn't come up to show that the upgrade could be applied.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the whole point of the stealth pistol is that you have to trade off between silence and power. the regular pistol is always more powerful but it can't take a silencer.

jfc you guys did you even play the game

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

silvergoose posted:

I tried playing ap once and got stuck at a hacking minigame that refused to work with my mouse for some reason and then never tried it again. PC port was terrible.

it requires being really gentle on the mouse but once you get the hang of it its easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

the whole point of the stealth pistol is that you have to trade off between silence and power. the regular pistol is always more powerful but it can't take a silencer.

jfc you guys did you even play the game

In gmdx you can silence the pistol.

• Locked thread