Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The new stuff with Tennant is for RTD's next run, not Whitaker's finale, correct? (Feels like it would suck the air from Jodie's departure to have the most popular modern Doctor make a return.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Correct. So instead it's taking the wind out of Ncuti's sails

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022

The_Doctor posted:

Three specials seems a bit odd

There is precedent. Tennant did those 3 specials when he was nearing the end of his run. The Next Doctor, The Planet Of the Dead, and The Waters of Mars, or something like that.

It does seem odd that he is popping in for 3 specials, and popping out. maybe RTD is just messing with everyone and Nctuti (or however he is spelled) isn't a full time Doc?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

There would be riots.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Co-Doctors Who

Who could be a better companion to the Doctor than the Doctor?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This is all a smokescreen to cover for the surprise announcement of the Eighth Doctor Adventures Tales

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Doctor Who's Anatomy. RTD shakes thing up with Ncuti as Dr. Doctor Who, lead experimental surgeon of the hospital in the Middle of All Time. Timelord surgeon with an operating room bigger on the inside than the outside.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Barring new information, I suggest "David Fourteennant" going forward

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I enjoy Tennant as an actor and as a voice actor. I find the 10th to be a great doctor and his appearance in the 50th anniversary was cool.

Bringing him back again for the 60th though? Can we not bring back anyone else? Not Eccleston? Not Capaldi? You can't even dip back into getting Paul McGann?

At the very least let it be about the Meta Crisis Doctor and not literally have 13 regenerate back into 10 before dying again (and this time being ok with it) and regenerating into 14.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AndyElusive posted:

I enjoy Tennant as an actor and as a voice actor. I find the 10th to be a great doctor and his appearance in the 50th anniversary was cool.

Bringing him back again for the 60th though? Can we not bring back anyone else? Not Eccleston? Not Capaldi? You can't even dip back into getting Paul McGann?

At the very least let it be about the Meta Crisis Doctor and not literally have 13 regenerate back into 10 before dying again (and this time being ok with it) and regenerating into 14.

Since Capaldi was the Doctor just before Jodie, I feel like going back to him right now would feel like the show saying, "Right, sorry about Jodie. Remember Peter? Just before? Anyway, forget about Jodie, that was a quick mistake. On to the next Doctor!" in a way that going back several Doctors doesn't quite say? When they obviously have nothing to apologize for with Jodie, since she was great, and it was Chibnall who was the worst.

That might just be me reading too much into it, though, I don't know.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Today’s updates:

https://twitter.com/coibertreport/status/1526656674483912711

Rose:

https://twitter.com/drgrimlock/status/1526666052322705409

https://twitter.com/unite_whovians/status/1526626022791208965

Sylvia’s there too :mad:

https://twitter.com/wood_ida_/status/1526615362661384199

And this might mean nothing because trains from Scotland all come into Euston station in London, buuuuuuut

https://twitter.com/wood_ida_/status/1526629577262604290

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eccleston had a massive falling out with RTD during his time on DW, and based on recent interviews he's done that rift is nowhere near healed; so don't hold your breath expecting him to pop back up on the show any time soon

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Since Capaldi was the Doctor just before Jodie, I feel like going back to him right now would feel like the show saying, "Right, sorry about Jodie. Remember Peter? Just before? Anyway, forget about Jodie, that was a quick mistake. On to the next Doctor!" in a way that going back several Doctors doesn't quite say? When they obviously have nothing to apologize for with Jodie, since she was great, and it was Chibnall who was the worst.

That might just be me reading too much into it, though, I don't know.

I see what you're saying but It didn't feel like that when Tennant showed up for the 50th with Smith and he was the subsequent Doctor.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, with Smith. Are we assuming Jodie's not going to be there?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I want them to go directly from Jodie to the new guy because using Tenant as a backstop has some bad race and gender implications.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
wdym

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/thepostmonument/status/1526711269910360064

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I still can’t fully wrap my head around us having an RTD-era 2.0.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

If you subscribe to the idea popular in the wilderness years that the various incarnations of the Doctor are still bouncing around inside their head, though... Ten is absolutely the arrogant one who'd wrest control of a regeneration and bring themselves back, however temporarily, because they thought they had unfinished business to take care of. The one whose parting words were "I don't want to go". Like some ghost who can't let go of their former life, but is still kind of alive too.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Something that just occurred to me about multi-doc stories is that we're unlikely to see one again which takes place in multiple Doctors TARDIS again, since the control rooms are all so big and elaborate that they would be prohibitively expensive to rebuild for a single special.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They could probably fudge it a bit with an AR wall like Star Trek and Star Wars are doing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tennant2 will likely have a different console room from Whittaker as they’ve now moved studios from Upper Boat to Bad Wolf. Plus I’ve seen some of the glass hexagons showing up on eBay, so likely the set’s been torn down to some degree.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

New sonic!

https://twitter.com/acrolvm/status/1527060942521044994

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/type40_whovian/status/1527051266693775363

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Extremely lax with the security these days, cutbacks you think?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That’s just RTD’s usual style. Leaks were all over the place during his initial run.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think it just comes from filming in an extremely public place.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Also, it's getting them good press. They might be somewhat on purpose. Or at least, they might not be trying too hard to stop them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sonic update

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's gotta be Meta Doctor.

But where'd he get the new sonic?!

This is all so weird.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I don't want more Tennant.

There, I've said it.

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022
Have there been any mentions of the Fugitive Doctor?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
That's a spud peeler.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

happyhippy posted:

That's a spud peeler.

Bad news for Sontarans.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

I don't want more Tennant.

There, I've said it.

All I can think about is how much more hype this would be if it was Matt Smith instead of more Tennant.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

That's gotta be Meta Doctor.

But where'd he get the new sonic?!

This is all so weird.

It’s the Doctor after 13. He’s still got Jodie’s TARDIS.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

All I can think about is how much more hype this would be if it was Matt Smith instead of more Tennant.

I'm fine with Tennant if Smith got the same amount of specials afterwards before the new new doctor. And I want more doctor meet ups. Smith needs to work with 13 and 14 for sure.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Has there been anything 'official' in the announcements that said Tennant is returning as the Doctor? Or just that Tennant is returning?

Because if we don't see that regeneration, we might have a new Master.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Clearly it’s the Rani. Or a Rutan. Or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wolfechu posted:

Has there been anything 'official' in the announcements that said Tennant is returning as the Doctor? Or just that Tennant is returning?

Because if we don't see that regeneration, we might have a new Master.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/doctor-who-david-tennant-and-catherine-tate-return

quote:

Russell T Davies, Showrunner says: “They're back! And it looks impossible - first, we announce a new Doctor, and then an old Doctor, along with the wonderful Donna, what on earth is happening? Maybe this is a missing story. Or a parallel world. Or a dream, or a trick, or a flashback. The only thing I can confirm is that it’s going to be spectacular, as two of our greatest stars reunite for the battle of a lifetime.”

I'm gonna call that ambiguous, but he doesn't really say he's returning as the Doctor, no. Just that "an old Doctor" was announced as returning. But Tennant is "an old Doctor", no matter who he's playing.

I mean, he even says it might be a trick.