Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Okay, an update to the "Treasure Hunt": you need to follow @davidanfossi, @jonatchoo and @sdastous on Twitter to keep up - they're tweeting bits of the code.

Original In-Game Code: o k M 8 - + D s 4 D u i ? l M h $ M z v m 1 4 S B q e 7 ; G . l 6 = u 7 4 b ? m k h - 4 5 K i 6 0 d + 9 8 X B p C k u 7
Updated In-Game Code: 5 - / ! f / f q / x c / q y / d 3 / ? x / t $ / j #
Anfossi Update: r 5 / i e / y p
D'Astous Update: a d / u k / w 0
Dugas Update: 7 2 / m 1 / . 4
Belletête Update (via pic): c m / n 7 / p g / g w / + j / # s / 2 a / 8 z / 0 ! (the last character could be a o or an O)
Facebook Update: b o / z v / 3 n / 4 h / 9 b / $ = / = 8 / s t / - 9
Community Site Update: o . / l l / e ; / 6 u / ; 6 / h + / v ? / k r / 1 i

Tecman fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Baron Bifford posted:

My battery cells do not recharge beyond one cell. Is this normal?

Sadly yes, eat some candy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SixtySix posted:

I am a huge fan the Splinter Cell series, and to a lesser extent MGS. I should just go ahead and buy this game, right?

Yes. Everyone should go ahead and buy this game.

brambi
Dec 10, 2007
trapdoor <3
BEST GAME IN YEARS, just finished it on hardest setting. :dealwithit:

But what the hell is up with the ending? 4 buttons to chose your ending? even deus ex 1 had a lesser lazy approach, total turn off though. I actually thought all my actions in the playthrough would determine my ending. But no, just a silly set of 4 buttons...

And did someone experience an irritating cover system? like when you hide behind the wrong cover, I mean, WHY THE gently caress would I want to hide behind a corner where an enemy can see you? that really made me rage at some points.

Also, did AUD's get removed from the game? I played the leak, where you could find them everywhere. But now they're like removed ?

brambi fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 30, 2011

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
The other aspect of the hacking quests that needs to be explored is non-pocket secretary codes--i.e., passwords that are printed on something in the environment like a sticky note but can't actually be interacted with. I think one or two of these has already been discovered so who knows. It seems pretty unlikely in any case that developers didn't plan ways for characters without any hacking skills to complete sidequests (we're all crossing our fingers that they didn't half-rear end it and assume AUD use).

Edit: there are likewise some passwords that can be obtained through eavesdropping. At least one that I know of is in Hensgsha and it's hilarious: the login is "Dutchman" and two nearby cops are like "Maybe it's windmill?" "Nah, that's too obvious". It is, of course, "windmill".

Woozy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 30, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Woozy posted:

The other aspect of the hacking quests that needs to be explored is non-pocket secretary codes--i.e., passwords that are printed on something in the environment like a sticky note but can't actually be interacted with. I think one or two of these has already been discovered so who knows. It seems pretty unlikely in any case that developers didn't plan ways for characters without any hacking skills to complete sidequests (we're all crossing our fingers that they didn't half-rear end it and assume AUD use).

Yeah, there's at least one of these that I saw.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

why did they think bringing inventory tetris back would be a good idea.

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 30, 2011

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

etalian posted:

why did they think bring inventory tetris back would be a good idea.

because it owns

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was just thinking what an odd set of circumstances that arise in this game that when you hack open a safe, most of the time your response is "What?!? 1000 credits! I wanted an Energy Bar, god dammit!"

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

etalian posted:

why did they think bring inventory tetris back would be a good idea.

Because it is wonderful. Plus the game will autofit for you assuming it's possible.

tenh19
Jul 11, 2010

brambi posted:

BEST GAME IN YEARS, just finished it on hardest setting. :dealwithit:

But what the hell is up with the ending? 4 buttons to chose your ending? even deus ex 1 had a lesser lazy approach, total turn off though. I actually thought all my actions in the playthrough would determine my ending. But no, just a silly set of 4 buttons...

End spoilers for all three DX games within:Even DX1 had something beyond "press button, watch cinematic". Admittedly, the things you had to do to get each different ending were just going to different areas of Area 51, but at least that was better than pushing one of four buttons, each conveniently located next to each other. Yeah, it made some sense in-game, since they were all messages to be sent out to the public (save the Panchea destruction ending) but still. Also, the actual end game cinematics were bullshit. I don't care about Jensen waxing philosophical. I wanted to see the consequences of my decisions, like in DX and DX:IW. Say what you might say about IW, but I think its endings were the best of the three games, since they went out way into in the future to see the dramatic consequences of your choice. Even better, I would have liked to see how each ending might have resulted in the world becoming what it is in DX, although I guess that would be really hard to pull off in a believable way.

tenh19 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 30, 2011

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Woozy posted:

The other aspect of the hacking quests that needs to be explored is non-pocket secretary codes--i.e., passwords that are printed on something in the environment like a sticky note but can't actually be interacted with. I think one or two of these has already been discovered so who knows.

The first sidequest you get makes use of this, and it is in fact a sticky note sitting right next to where you need to use the password. I don't recall seeing it used anywhere else though, 90% of the time the code you need is usually on a pocket secretary being held by some guard standing two rooms away from the terminal, or stuck between a couple books on the desk behind you or something.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh man, I just noticed Jensen keeps his finger outside of the trigger guard when not actively aiming his weapon.

:psyboom:

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007
Am I right in assuming there is no way to get back into the Alice Garden pods in the second visit to China?

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh man, I just noticed Jensen keeps his finger outside of the trigger guard when not actively aiming his weapon.

:psyboom:

Safety first.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hah! Some dude inside the LIMB clinic in Hengsha:

"I'm a little nervous about the surgery."

And this guy is so auged up already he's basically robocop.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I was just thinking what an odd set of circumstances that arise in this game that when you hack open a safe, most of the time your response is "What?!? 1000 credits! I wanted an Energy Bar, god dammit!"

The best JC Trenton solution would be to use the super-strength aug to carry a energy bar vending machine around.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

SymfonyMan posted:

EDIT: Also why the gently caress does everyone jerk around with weird neck and arm movements when they talk? Deux Ex: MoCap by Michael J Fox.

You would fidget too if you had that messed up guy Jensen talking to you. Stinking of all the corpses he's thrown around like ragdolls, splattered with blood and guts from rummaging through their remains for credits, ready to engage pheromones to make you go face down rear end up at any time.

And for the Nth time, AUD, Silenced Sniper, Dual barrel shotgun, Remote detonated explosive = DLC

Shookies
Aug 17, 2003

A Magic Hand took my Freeze-Gun!!
How do you get into the police station to see the body in the beginning?

I tried the sewers but that didn't seem to get me anywhere because I'm not a good enough hacker. The fire escapes didn't seem to lead me anywhere either. At one point I thought I was near the police station but I walked out a door that was like a 2 story rooftop with no where to go.

I tried to talk to the reception desk cop but don't have the social aug so talking to him was a bi-polar experiment that failed.

My boss keeps yelling at me to go outside and find a way in... I'm also not strong enough to move things.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shookies posted:

I tried to talk to the reception desk cop but don't have the social aug so talking to him was a bi-polar experiment that failed.

My boss keeps yelling at me to go outside and find a way in... I'm also not strong enough to move things.

The Absolve-Confront-Absolve-Confront works for the desk guy.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Absolve, Plead, Absolve, Plead for the Silver Tongue reward = last half of the game spoiler related to that: He'll be bummed out for getting fired, but he won't freak out and try to kill you this way

Shookies posted:

No need for the aug, just talk better! The aug will give you some exclusive stuff from a few NPCs over the course of the game though (loot, locations).

And look around, there's probably a path leading up to another route of entry!

(I managed to talk down the last chat encounter in the game perfectly on my second try, figured his personality out on the first, without the aug, which was nice. Take your time, read and think - but not too long or they'll get angry at you for being silent)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 30, 2011

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The game really suffers from dull-beginning syndrome similar to Alpha Protocl.

Once you start unlocking more abilities it gets so much more fun due to all the extra possibilities.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Shookies posted:

How do you get into the police station to see the body in the beginning?

I tried the sewers but that didn't seem to get me anywhere because I'm not a good enough hacker. The fire escapes didn't seem to lead me anywhere either. At one point I thought I was near the police station but I walked out a door that was like a 2 story rooftop with no where to go.

You only need 1 Praxis point for the strength aug, so you could probably do a couple side quests then come back. You could also just shoot your way inside.

Whitecoral
Nov 16, 2010
This game is so much fun.

:gay:
No that's all!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 1, 2011

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Just a reminder that most of the conversation options appear to be slightly random. I haven't really played with them but my hunch right now is that there is a specific path with a really high success chance (let's say 85 or so), a CASIE-only path with a 100% chance, and at least one choice per conversation that is a straight up auto-fail. In other words just because a particular path works once doesn't mean it will work twice, and there's some wiggle room associated with picking the "wrong" choice. The very first social battle is a good example of this: I've done it several times now with wildly different results.

etalian posted:

The Absolve-Confront-Absolve-Confront works for the desk guy.

I deliberately [crush] him on principle, even though it never works. Nuremberg defense doesn't fly with me, Haas, especially not in a game that's all about freedom and choice.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 30, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Shookies posted:

Talk to Letitia (the hobo near sarif) and buy her 1000-credit secret path. She'll give you the code to the sewer door.

Alternatively, just look harder for the fire escape vent access (you have to go past the electrified corridor, you can beat that with a moving bridge of crates), or try talking better to Wayne Haas. Neither requires any particular aug.

Finally, if everything else fails, going on a murder rampage never does.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

You can also find the door code in the sewers behind a breakable wall.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Sankis posted:

You can also find the door code in the sewers behind a breakable wall.

And you can break walls simply by shooting them so even if you don't have the aug, it's still available.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

ChronoReverse posted:

And you can break walls simply by shooting them so even if you don't have the aug, it's still available.

You may as well get the AUG though. There is at least 3000 XP in Explorer bonuses obtainable with PTW, in addition to 2-3 praxis kits. Having it more than pays for itself.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Some good news on the sales front (in the UK at least):

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/30/deus-ex-machina-zumba-pushed-out-of-uk-sales-top-spot/

quote:

The ten long weeks of Zumba Fitness and its representative armpits ruling the UK charts is at an end. Deus Ex: Human Revolution has augmented chart news in its debut week, leaping straight to number one. Chart-Track notes that, in just two days of sales, the latest Deus Ex came just 26,000 units short of outperforming Deus Ex: Invisible War's seven years' worth of lifetime sales.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So, uh, there's the Alarmed where a guy becomes orange, investigates for a bit and returns to grey and there's the Alarmed where everyone in the room is orange and roaming, but they're not Hostile yet. Does the latter negate the Ghost bonus?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess I'm a wuss, but I used all 99 savegame slots during my playthrough.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Megazver posted:

So, uh, there's the Alarmed where a guy becomes orange, investigates for a bit and returns to grey and there's the Alarmed where everyone in the room is orange and roaming, but they're not Hostile yet. Does the latter negate the Ghost bonus?

I believe the latter occurs when a guard has found a dead body, and yes it does.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Woozy posted:

Just a reminder that most of the conversation options appear to be slightly random. I haven't really played with them but my hunch right now is that there is a specific path with a really high success chance (let's say 85 or so), a CASIE-only path with a 100% chance, and at least one choice per conversation that is a straight up auto-fail. In other words just because a particular path works once doesn't mean it will work twice, and there's some wiggle room associated with picking the "wrong" choice. The very first social battle is a good example of this: I've done it several times now with wildly different results.

I deliberately [crush] him on principle, even though it never works. Nuremberg defense doesn't fly with me, Haas, especially not in a game that's all about freedom and choice.

I can't remember how I entered, but I finished haas with a crush (2 I think) where I basically told him to man the gently caress up and deal with it. He dealt with it and let me in.

brambi
Dec 10, 2007
trapdoor <3

MrLonghair posted:

And for the Nth time, AUD, Silenced Sniper, Dual barrel shotgun, Remote detonated explosive = DLC

I got the pre-order?

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess I'm a wuss, but I used all 99 savegame slots during my playthrough.

Me too, what setting did you play on?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

DigitalMocking posted:

From the morgue you've got to go back through the first floor, which is crawling with guards. I'd love to be able to sneak past, but there's no method to make that happen. There's a spot in the hallway that's blocked by a bookshelf, and the second you move around it, you're spotted even through the NPCs shouldn't have line of sight.

Most games offer the ability to start from specific chapters. Yes, I've started saves now, but all of them are after I boned the speech with the desk guy.

Hah, I got stuck at exactly the same place. The line of sight isn't glitched though, there's a cop standing right in the corner of the main room, looking down the hallway, and he doesn't move. I got past him by throwing a bin across the main room from a side door, and then running down the hallway while all the cops are busy fussing about.

I've put about 6 hours in and not even reached the first boss yet, but I'm loving the game. My only complaint so far is that its a bit of a shame that you're 'invisible' when you're in air ducts, and no enemies come after you or do anything to try and catch you once you're in them. Makes some bits a bit easy to cheese.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

ShineDog posted:

I can't remember how I entered, but I finished haas with a crush (2 I think) where I basically told him to man the gently caress up and deal with it. He dealt with it and let me in.

:aaa:

Lucky! That's awesome that it worked. Welp adding it to my to-do list.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

brambi posted:

Me too, what setting did you play on?
Tell Me a Story :shobon:

Every time there came an important decision up, or had to get into a fight, I saved.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Megazver posted:

Alarmed status never negates Ghost. However, if someone even SEES a body, your Ghost bonus is gone. However, you can still keep your Smooth Operator bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
The part where I struggled a bit with stealth in the police station before I figured out I could talk to the desk dude irked me because my shooty-FPS instincts were telling me to go for a frontal assault.

Having completed the game, I decided to go back on that police station in a new game+ sort of way. I loaded up the police station save from the early game, but then used a trainer to get my self the augs from endgame of my main playthrough (because this game doesn't have NG+). While trying this, I got annoyed with people waking up the knocked out guys, so I started to stash them in an open place so I could knock out any of their friends who try to wake them.

I started with the second floor, threw the bodies down to the first floor lobby, then knocked most of the first floor out with a combination of PEPS and double takedowns.

Result?

This was when I cleared out the first and second floors.

THEN I remembered the basement and the third floor offices. A lot of struggling with ragdolls up and down staircases followed.

On the top picture, there's all the important characters, including the hacker from the morgue, Haas, and the named detective from the third floor.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 30, 2011

• Locked thread