Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

As opposed to generation, aren’t there plenty of things we could turn off? That would be relatively easy to do even today?

I will never log off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Just a healthy reminder about The Solutions Project, the original precursor to today's witchdoctor GNDs

PV lifetime grams of CO2 effluent equivalent per kWh delivered is 45 on a good day (12 for nuke/wind/hydro)

We need copper and silver for PV and focusing mirrors, in gratuitous amounts, about 5 tons Cu / MW, and about 13 kg Ag / MW

Again using making GBS threads on The Solutions Project because gently caress them they're loud and ignored nuclear, this comes out to be about 24 million tons of copper and 51k tons of silver in the initial implementation

At the end of life it comes out to ~1.2 million meters squared of solar collection area needing replacement every day. That's 1333 tons of copper and 2.8 tons of silver per diem

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Andrast posted:

I will never log off

Heh.

Even something like turning off A/C during the weekend or off-hours I would think might a sizable impact.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Protagonist posted:

capacity factors for wind and solar are very bad.

The capacity factors are improving as more solar and wind are built out. Simultaneously the capacity factors for fossil fuels are getting lower. The inflection point for this was crossed a couple years ago, and it's been discussed in this and the power gen thread.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Where are they at now? They're still a poor choice, compared to nuclear with its reliable 90%+, smaller footprint, less material input needed, safer, less pollutants, and intrinsically sequestered and low volume waste.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

bowser posted:

Has anyone written about the game theory aspect of climate change mitigation? No government wants to tear apart their entire economy and way of life if other countries don't join them.

The future is green and sounds like vuvuzelas.

sure you could write about game theory climate change strategies or you could just sit back and experience what you already know the results will be.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

my gut tells me this is nonsense quackery but it seems to actually be in limited commercial use?

huh

i'll save my cautious optimism for other topics for now, but this would be some pretty cool (:haw:) weird sorcery

Escape Addict posted:

I wonder how loud that thermo-acoustic air conditioner would be. It'd be funny if we found an energy efficient way to cool homes but the trade-off was a game show buzzer blasting constantly for miles around.

i will also accept this outcome

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 6, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So, how many billionaires to turn the U.S. grid fully nuclear going by that study saying 79 for solar?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
because if its less thats bad then

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

lol we can still take their money for desalination plants, reforestation programs, low income housing, healthcare, high density hydroponic farms supplied with low quality waste heat from aforementioned nuclear reactors, fusion r&d & many other Good things! (but yeah it'd be lessfewer)

Zaurg But A Horse
Apr 14, 2019

Zaurg? Neigh!
So we know that cows are assholes, beef is bad for the environment, and the sheer quantity of grazing land required for beef is terrible. Do we have any data on horses? On one hand, we like to run a lot and that requires substantial amounts of space. On the other hand, we bleed rich fuckers dry on upkeep costs and die if we so much as look in a mirror, sooo... am I a net positive or do you put me out to pasture?

And if you do, is that pasture adequately earth-friendly?

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Binary Badger posted:

Never seen this many hurricanes / storms at once. As a kid I'd remember maybe they might show two spread out across the oceans or so once in a great while, but now it seems like as this photo and its a goddamn parade of destruction every fall.

The Reality Dysfunction

:tinfoil: Peter F Hamilton is a time traveler

quote:

Earth has been ravaged by global warming, with the destruction of the ozone layer, the cessation of ocean currents and the near-poisoning of the surface by carbon dioxide forcing humanity to retreat within vast domed cities known as arcologies. Huge 'armada storms' continuously batter the cities of Earth.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

GreyjoyBastard posted:

my gut tells me this is nonsense quackery but it seems to actually be in limited commercial use?

huh

i'll save my cautious optimism for other topics for now, but this would be some pretty cool (:haw:) weird sorcery

i will also accept this outcome

Its pretty sweet but it does take energy in the form of (hopefully waste) heat from it's surroundings to drive whatever the mechanism they're talking about is that produces the cool air. So its just like heat powered engines like these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErlvMZI0tlA powering some crazy acoustic large hadron collider im guessing from that forbes article.

Also this has nothing do do with that ^, but that guy's videos are pretty awesome. this ones my fav: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrnul6ixX90&t=179s wooo look at that baby go!!

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 6, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zaurg But A Horse posted:

So we know that cows are assholes

We already solved that problem in the C-SPAM thread.

https://i.imgur.com/VRep0GR.mp4

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
didn't even hear about this until now lol

https://twitter.com/ERCOT_ISO/status/1169997692585598979

https://twitter.com/ERCOT_ISO/status/1170108214454706176

we did it guys :toot:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Protagonist posted:

Where are they at now? They're still a poor choice, compared to nuclear with its reliable 90%+, smaller footprint, less material input needed, safer, less pollutants, and intrinsically sequestered and low volume waste.

Which ones are being built, here in reality?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Protagonist posted:

this really isn't true though...

capacity factors for wind and solar are very bad. the waste, cost & space footprint of the massive amount of redundant renewable installations + battery storage you'd need to achieve what you're describing is in all cases much worse and poorer than going with next generation nuclear power. you seem like you might be a mark jacobson believer, and it's bad news because all the love for wind and solar really seems to be based on a feeling about those being a good options (and in some isolated cases they can be), without a critical look at the details.

if you're anti-nuke, you're not an environmentalist

See this is what makes actually discussing energy policy here lame. I'm posting about a generation technology neutral concept: reducing reliability makes running the grid cheaper. You've ignored that entire point to try to make this instead about how renewables are bad because cap factor.

Then trying to smear me as loving Mark Jacobson which is both hilariously wrong but also why I really have to limit how much I post in this thread because it doesn't matter what I say or which scientific reports I quote, people will just believe what they want to believe.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

Which ones are being built, here in reality?

The ones in china. The whole crux of my point is political will in the west, w/r/t energy, isn't based in reality, which is a drat shame.

Trabisnikof posted:

See this is what makes actually discussing energy policy here lame. I'm posting about a generation technology neutral concept: reducing reliability makes running the grid cheaper.

Yeah but you gave a figure "99.99%" up time, which is hardly largely unreliable, and worth examining how such a figure could be achieved with only dubiously green renewables, and doesn't come out to be much cheaper (or even at all) at the end of the day when you account for both the installations and associated storage, be it electro-chemical or pumped hydro or whatever. Sorry for the Jacobson smear.

e; also you specifically mentioned phasing out nuclear, which didn't strike me as generation-tech neutral...

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 7, 2019

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

See this is what makes actually discussing energy policy here lame. I'm posting about a generation technology neutral concept: reducing reliability makes running the grid cheaper. You've ignored that entire point to try to make this instead about how renewables are bad because cap factor.

Then trying to smear me as loving Mark Jacobson which is both hilariously wrong but also why I really have to limit how much I post in this thread because it doesn't matter what I say or which scientific reports I quote, people will just believe what they want to believe.

it really is amazing if you skim one or two climate threads back, or worse peek a climate topic on some other less insane site. its basically the human opinion version of a sound board. or one of those bingo cards. the arguments have barely changed at all. sure you get less outright deniers, but if anything that just let the crazies move into the "we should" game.

"the protagonist" is functionally not even a person he's just a bot that jams his nuke-boner into whatever textarea with a post button he can find. it has nothing to do with energy policy or technology and everything to do with depression and substance abuse and desperately wanting to be mentally (internally) superior because he's clearly not externally.

really drives home that like, "commenter" is a good name for a the post-internet underclass. just a person who says things.

edit: fwiw, on topic, how much could something like the hornsdale power reserve have made if it had been somewhere in texas today? like if it sold out its capacity at the peak rate it could for as long as the $ lasted.

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 7, 2019

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

StabbinHobo posted:

it really is amazing if you skim one or two climate threads back, or worse peek a climate topic on some other less insane site, its basically the human opinion version of a sound board. or one of those bingo cards. the arguments have almost barely changed at all. sure you get less outright deniers, but if anything that just let the crazies move into the "we should" game.

"the protagonist" is functionally not even a person he's just a bot that jams his nuke-boner into whatever textarea with a post button he can find. it has nothing to do with energy policy or technology and everything to do with depression and substance abuse and desperately wanting to mentally (internally) superior because he's clearly not externally.

really drives home that like, "commenter" is a good name for a the post-internet underclass. just a person who says things.

I have to keep driving home the point because people still aren't getting it. The argument hasn't changed because greenies keep regurgitating the same nonsense, when a sober census of the facts about our options for clean energy generation lead back to one single solid option. You throw out a lot of personal dispersion towards me, (some of it definitely warrented when I drink/post too much), but calling me myopic for approaching the problem from a myriad of directions with different, solid analytics is, to say the least, a bit grating.

Nuclear gets you a better return for the effort and materials in, a far far better return, than the feel-good options people promote because of some feeling they have. It's awful, and I'm not gonna stop opining about it.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and now i'm trapped... engage the nukebug and poo poo up another page with his noise... or join trabisnikof in just walking away.

lose/lose

thanks for poisoning the well rear end in a top hat. please go away.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

StabbinHobo posted:

hornsdale power reserve

129 MWh for $800 million is a bad loving deal my dude

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

StabbinHobo posted:

and now i'm trapped... engage the nukebug and poo poo up another page with his noise... or join trabisnikof in just walking away.

lose/lose

thanks for poisoning the well rear end in a top hat. please go away.

I'm not even being confrontational. What is your problem?

e;

StabbinHobo posted:

"the protagonist" is functionally not even a person he's just a bot that jams his nuke-boner into whatever textarea with a post button he can find. it has nothing to do with energy policy or technology and everything to do with depression and substance abuse and desperately wanting to be mentally (internally) superior because he's clearly not externally.

Like look at this poo poo. Everything I post has to do with energy policy and technology, and you're just, like, an rear end in a top hat?

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 7, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Heh.

Even something like turning off A/C during the weekend or off-hours I would think might a sizable impact.

LMAO, yeah, that's gonna be possible in a world now staring at least a 4 degree increase in the face.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

The Protagonist posted:

I'm not even being confrontational. What is your problem?

The problem is that the people who are trying to shift the public consensus on nuke energy are you and people like you and as such public opinion is pretty firmly anti nuke.

Political reality is we ain't getting new nuke plants. Not in time for it to matter.

I mean, political reality is lol we're hosed - but you're just beating an even deader part of the horse than the rest of us

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I'm never gonna stop beatin' that horse friend. You can't tout a GND from one side of your mouth, talk about how every tenth of a degree saves millions, and then throw the best clean energy option we have in the trash. For instance

The Protagonist posted:

R. E. Ginna, a 582 MW reactor, could generate 13,968 MWh over a the course of a day, and cost $346 million.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay now make Mitch McConnell do something about it.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Windmills and horses, friends.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

mdemone posted:

Okay now make Mitch McConnell do something about it.

Is this the thread where we discuss climate change solutions to which Mitch McConnell is amenable?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Car Hater posted:

Windmills, horses & pogroms of unprecedented scale friends.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Pogrom against all engineers, to the ditches with us

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Car Hater posted:

Pogrom against all engineers, to the ditches with us

Okay :smith: so long as the financiers and bankers go in with us :unsmith:

e; to contribute to the thread, as I often do in a manner not nuke-related believe it or not, I've been reading the Deep Adaptation paper by one of those extinction rebellion guys, and I highly recommend it

quote:

That report of subsea permafrost destabilisation in the East Siberian Arctic sea shelf, the latest unprecedented temperatures in the Arctic, and the data in non-linear rises in high-atmosphere methane levels, combine to make it feel like we
are about to play Russian Roulette with the entire human race, with already two bullets loaded. Nothing is certain. But it is sobering that humanity has arrived at a situation of our own making where we now debate the strength of analyses of our near-term extinction

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 7, 2019

The Arab!
May 22, 2010

The Protagonist posted:

We need copper and silver for PV and focusing mirrors, in gratuitous amounts, about 5 tons Cu / MW, and about 13 kg Ag / MW

Regarding emission calculations for resource extraction has anyone studied electrification of mining equipment? I know big draglines are typically hooked up directly to high voltage lines but I was interested to learn that haul trucks in some places have pantographs and use electric power for hill climbing out of open pit mines while the diesels idle. They can also feed back into the grid with regenerative braking while going down into the mine :getin: . Obviously pantographs are better suited for trains but electrifying haul trucks and excavators could significantly reduce the carbon burden of a large scale PV rollout. Pantograph and catenary production would hopefully have commonality with railroads for some kind of new-dealesque massive freight railroad electrification program :ms: . I don't know anything about mining though and other processes may well represent a larger portion of emissions that electrification won't do much to help.

http://www.womp-int.com/story/2011vol09/story024.htm

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Is this the thread where we discuss climate change solutions to which Mitch McConnell is amenable?

No this is the thread where we discuss solutions to Mitch McConnell amenable to climate change.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

Okay :smith: so long as the financiers and bankers go in with us :unsmith:

e; to contribute to the thread, as I often do in a manner not nuke-related believe it or not, I've been reading the Deep Adaptation paper by one of those extinction rebellion guys, and I highly recommend it

Yeah it's not peer reviewed, wish he would post the full doc with the criticisms in it. If he did I haven't seen it

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

mdemone posted:

No this is the thread where we discuss solutions to Mitch McConnell amenable to climate change.

I've got one

Just ███████ from long range

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

I've got one

Just ███████ from long range

But shitposting from afar is what we've BEEN doing

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

The Protagonist posted:

The battery was more like USD $50 million. The rest of the cost is for grid connection + 309MW of wind turbines.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CommieGIR posted:

LMAO, yeah, that's gonna be possible in a world now staring at least a 4 degree increase in the face.

They've started doing it some commercial buildings in the Midwest during the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Mr Chips posted:

The battery was more like USD $50 million. The rest of the cost is for grid connection + 309MW of wind turbines.

315 MW of turbines for ~$750 million is still a bad deal, since current high end state of the art capacity factors for wind turbines float at around ~42% (preface page x, paragraph 2), so your 300+ MW windfarm is actually putting out less than half of what you quoted, on average.

My whole point, and I'll just say it again, is any amount of money/time/resources/effort you want to throw at these methods of power generation would serve the public far, far better directed at Gen IV nuclear. And don't say it's too loving late either, because the best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago... or today.

e; reminder that it would take 15,000+ of those ~$50million dollar storage centers, at a cost of $700billion+, to provide backup power generation for the nation for four goddamn hours

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 7, 2019