Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cocoa Crispies posted:

there’s already a car company named after a henry

Studebaker’s been gone since 1967 though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Combat Theory posted:

Thanks. I lost it half way. Not my intention to ramble about drivers especially after a lethal collision... It's just mind boggling to me that people go out and treat these cars as if they were regular vehicles without an engine noise without once thinking about how fuckin dangerous the accumulated power is.

my man if you think theres a lot of power in those batteries wait till you see how many mj are in a tank of Shell gasoline

still, tesla lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
true, lots of energy in a tank of gasoline. at least that won’t act like the vehicular equivalent of a joke birthday cake candle though.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

akadajet posted:

lol a tesla knockoff called faraday

dear VCs plz fund my knockoff hyperloop startup, Lorenz Locomotion (slogan: "experience our strange attraction")

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

PCjr sidecar posted:

my man if you think theres a lot of power in those batteries wait till you see how many mj are in a tank of Shell gasoline

still, tesla lol

roughly 41 Megajoules per Kilogramm (about 11kwh/kg)

A gasoline fire is a completely different matter than a battery detonation.

1. Gasoline is not a sole Energy Carrier. It can not explode only oxydize, which needs airborne oxygen since cars dont run LOX. A Battery contains the entire energy in accumulated form and the only thing keeping it contained is the isolation of the Kathode and Anode.

2. The Energy created when burning hydrocarbons is mostly contained within the Bonds of the oxygen. Saturated HC chains (gas, diesel, Kerosene) do not contain much energy. You only got non Polar C-C links and some weak Hydrogen Links to harvest energy from. The majority of the released energy is stored in the O=O bond of the oxygen. Again the Energy of a Battery is entirely contained within the Battery itself. and that does not eve ncount the Exothermal Energy of the electrolyte or other materials

3. Gas fires in Air can not exceed certain temperatures. Due to the limitations of stochiometric combustion, you can only heat a certain amount of air with a certain amount of Reaction Energy. The only way to circumvent that is compression or oxygen enrichment. both do not happen within an uncontrolled vehicle fire. A Battery fire on the other hand is just limited in temperature by the thermal mass of the batteries and the dissipation rate of the generated heat. for high energy density batteries this means that you basically can not contain the energy within a reasonably sized safety vessel without sacrificing significant vehicle mass or space for just the worst case battery safety (which is not done in automotive applications)

4. Battery detonations do not obey the laws of the fire triange that also gives the main points of fire extinguishment. For EVs, fire extinguishing is essentially pointless unless you dump the whole car into water or burry it.

Edit: also this is the only product that should carry the name Henry

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 7, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

no, i meant the part where you’re glad they died to advance a petty grievance, that’s the part they’d object to, and i further don’t think they’d be too keen on your usual deliberate obtuseness as an excuse either

all I've ever said is that it's not "ghoulish" to believe these people who burned to death did not want to burn to death. maybe it says something about you that you read "they didn't want to die" as "it's good that they died"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Combat Theory posted:

Thanks. I lost it half way. Not my intention to ramble about drivers especially after a lethal collision...

oh word, my mistake :shobon:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Combat Theory posted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thought this was a DESTROY ALL HUMANS joke at first

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

akadajet posted:

I'm gonna start a tesla knockoff and call it ohm

ohman don't do that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah ive got some resistance to that idea

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

boring door slap fight

different companies

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Combat Theory posted:

i was going to go with weber, but then i figured theres an entire product line already that sets stuff on fire bearing that name

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

every source I can find, including the official City of Flint press release, mentions only the UV filtration and notes that it will "disinfect lead and bacteria"

no mention of osmosis, and it doesn't seem to be a standard feature of UV filtration

i'm guessing uv filtration is cheaper and effectiveness was never a factor in the decision

my post was a quote of a comment sucking musk off

those kids are going to get sick drinking "clean" water once again cause America hates poor people

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

my post was a quote of a comment sucking musk off

those kids are going to get sick drinking "clean" water once again cause America hates poor people

they should just get jobs and get rich instead :agesilaus:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

what’s with your reluctance?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i think it’s important to keep an open dialogue here.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

all I've ever said is that it's not "ghoulish" to believe these people who burned to death did not want to burn to death. maybe it says something about you that you read "they didn't want to die" as "it's good that they died"

well this is refreshing that fishmech has copped to their comment being entirely a non sequitur, so that ends that

thank you for your honesty, though i hope you pay closer attention in the future to the actual conversation

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Stymie posted:

thank you for your honesty, though i hope you pay closer attention in the future to the actual conversation

quoting stymie to say:

come on now we both know fishmech will never attempt to actually engage with what’s written

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

In an attempt to protect their stock value, SpaceX has tonight launched Elon Musk's twitter password into space.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Achmed Jones posted:

quoting stymie to say:

come on now we both know fishmech will never attempt to actually engage with what’s written

yes, but it's not often fishmech will admit as much, so it's worth pointing out and giving praise to encourage similar behavior in the future

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Peeny Cheez posted:

In an attempt to protect their stock value, SpaceX has tonight launched Elon Musk's twitter password into space.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
hunter2

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

smashthestate

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

h0rny4roko!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Achmed Jones posted:

you realize that you can get in an accident even when you aren’t “driving in an unsafe manner,” right?

Not in a Tesla.

Because all driving in a Tesla is unsafe.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

smashtheshorts

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
gianthog420

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Stop impeding progress!

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

According to Reddits this is grahms and musk pictured two days ago.

Conclusive evidence, you see:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/scot_work/status/1049002869582520321/photo/1

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

well this is refreshing that fishmech has copped to their comment being entirely a non sequitur, so that ends that

Sure is weird you think it is non sequitur to directly address your words.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

if you give a company like that 30 7 day terms you deserve to lose your money

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

People talking about a phone but it’s an expensive as hell car

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Jamsta posted:

According to Reddits this is grahms and musk pictured two days ago.

Conclusive evidence, you see:

but has she twittered recently? that is the only acceptable proof of life now you see

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Tesla loaned me a Ford Explorer

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
read enough threads and it becomes clear that one of the most common pleasures of poasting is getting mad at others / making others mad at oneself

e: I'm not looking to cast aspersions here, I think fondly of times when I deemed myself to have gotten another poaster's goat

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Tesla loaned me a Ford Explorer

60 thousand smackaroos for a loving ford explorer rental

lolé

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
someone big appears to be divesting themselves of $tsla