Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

quantumfoam posted:

Ravenloft games are a entirely new way of kicking you in the groin than what the Goldbox series delivers. I think that half-elf or elf character have better saves versus paralysis or level draining, and having clerics is even more important in your party for the Ravenloft games.

I've not real familiar with the Gold Box games, but it sounds pretty brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Max Wilco posted:

Anyone familiar with the Dungeon & Dragons: Ravenloft games, or any of the D&D games around that time? I thought about picking up Ravenloft from GOG, but I wanted to ask about them first in case there was something I should be aware of in regards to difficulty or character creation.

In the first game, a cleric is absolutely essential for negative plane protection. The second game has no recruitable mages, so you'll probably want one of your own. Strahd's Possession is difficult in an annoying way because enemies attack at a very rapid pace and can easily move out of your view. Level changes can easily go unnoticed if you're not checking the status screens of your characters. Clerics impose their weapon restrictions on multiclasses, mage spells can't be cast while wearing armor, and thief multiclasses can only wear leather. However, all of those classes can use things they shouldn't normally be able to, so try out everything: there are no cursed items from what I remember. Stone Prophet has much more reasonable combat pace and is less buggy, so feel free to skip to that one if you don't like the first.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I've not real familiar with the Gold Box games, but it sounds pretty brutal.

One of the major problems with the game play in old AD&D (and there sure the gently caress are a ton of them) is "save or die", an effect that in essence requires the player to roll a twenty-sided die against a value or their character was "dead". Not necessarily actually dead, though there's a lot of that too, but completely disabled or neutralized. You're paralyzed and out of the fight, for example, or you'll fall asleep and a free hit from a monster will take you down. A major problem with this is that a single die has a flat probability curve, so even if you only fail on 1-5, it still happens 25% of the time.

The absolute worst status effect that a monster can inflict, however, is level drain which is what it says on the tin. You can get your level back with a high level clerical spell, but you don't get back your XP. If you're one XP shy of reaching the next level and get hit with a level drain, then even if you get restored you have to earn that entire level back. And leveling in AD&D isn't like a JRPG. Strahd's Possession has a soft level cap of about 13; you can earn more XP than that but the game isn't built around it. So losing a level is an enormous loss. That's not even mentioning how it can basically strip away spellcasters' abilities by making their spell slots vanish.

Powerful undead in AD&D often inflict some kind of status effect including level drain. It only takes one bad roll while you're fighting anything above zombies and your party is going to be wiped out. The titular Strahd is a vampire and so he has an army of vampires you'll have to fight through to get to him. And vampires have a chance to inflict level drain with every single hit. It's effectively impossible to fight a vampire without some level drain occurring and that results in a nightmare treadmill when you play the game where you cannot get ahead because you're constantly fighting things that knock you way back.

Playing Strahd's Possession is a task for masochists. I mean, a lot of SSI's AD&D games are tasks for masochists but Strahd's Possession is the worst in that regard. The only way to play it is to save scum constantly.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Permanent level drain is such a lovely mechanic it almost singlehandedly justifies using cheat programs. Temporary level drain would accomplish basically the same thing, making you feel that undead are bad news as they make you weaker as you fight them, minus then hating the game itself for nullifying all your recent progress. Though obviously this is an original sin of Gygaxian game thinking

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've never played the Ravenloft games, but I did play Menzoberranzan which uses the same engine, and the one thing I remember was a bug with the Spiritual Hammer spell - if you kept attacking during their death animation, you got additional kill xp for every time you hit them.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

One of the major problems with the game play in old AD&D (and there sure the gently caress are a ton of them) is "save or die", an effect that in essence requires the player to roll a twenty-sided die against a value or their character was "dead". Not necessarily actually dead, though there's a lot of that too, but completely disabled or neutralized. You're paralyzed and out of the fight, for example, or you'll fall asleep and a free hit from a monster will take you down. A major problem with this is that a single die has a flat probability curve, so even if you only fail on 1-5, it still happens 25% of the time.

The absolute worst status effect that a monster can inflict, however, is level drain which is what it says on the tin. You can get your level back with a high level clerical spell, but you don't get back your XP. If you're one XP shy of reaching the next level and get hit with a level drain, then even if you get restored you have to earn that entire level back. And leveling in AD&D isn't like a JRPG. Strahd's Possession has a soft level cap of about 13; you can earn more XP than that but the game isn't built around it. So losing a level is an enormous loss. That's not even mentioning how it can basically strip away spellcasters' abilities by making their spell slots vanish.

Powerful undead in AD&D often inflict some kind of status effect including level drain. It only takes one bad roll while you're fighting anything above zombies and your party is going to be wiped out. The titular Strahd is a vampire and so he has an army of vampires you'll have to fight through to get to him. And vampires have a chance to inflict level drain with every single hit. It's effectively impossible to fight a vampire without some level drain occurring and that results in a nightmare treadmill when you play the game where you cannot get ahead because you're constantly fighting things that knock you way back.

Playing Strahd's Possession is a task for masochists. I mean, a lot of SSI's AD&D games are tasks for masochists but Strahd's Possession is the worst in that regard. The only way to play it is to save scum constantly.

I'm familiar with the 'Save vs [x]' stuff from playing through Baldur's Gate 2, as well as level drain and Negative Plane Protection, but there it just kind of seemed like an annoyance. It sounds pretty infuriating in Strahd's Possession. Maybe I'll give it a pass for now.

Another game I was looking at was Inquisitor, which is billed as an old-school style RPG. It's pretty cheap right now ($0.74), but the reviews for it sound pretty mixed, with several citing issues with it being frustrating in how closely it adheres to being 'old-school' (though it sounds like the issues are to do with balancing).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Max Wilco posted:

Another game I was looking at was Inquisitor, which is billed as an old-school style RPG. It's pretty cheap right now ($0.74), but the reviews for it sound pretty mixed, with several citing issues with it being frustrating in how closely it adheres to being 'old-school' (though it sounds like the issues are to do with balancing).
I found it interesting. It does some unusual stuff and has a number of very weird ideas you'll have to get used to, but it also has atmosphere and a lot of flexibility in how you approach quests and such. For under a dollar it's a perfectly okay deal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Permanent level drain is such a lovely mechanic it almost singlehandedly justifies using cheat programs. Temporary level drain would accomplish basically the same thing, making you feel that undead are bad news as they make you weaker as you fight them, minus then hating the game itself for nullifying all your recent progress. Though obviously this is an original sin of Gygaxian game thinking
Gygax invented level drain to bust down high level characters he couldn't challenge anymore, so it just shouldn't have been included in a video game with a defined endpoint.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Halloween Jack posted:

Gygax invented level drain to bust down high level characters he couldn't challenge anymore, so it just shouldn't have been included in a video game with a defined endpoint.
I am surprised I did not know that already, but it checks out. Thank you Halloween Jack, for once again teaching me about horrifying enervations

Alternatively, it could therefore make sense to include in the game as like a final boss area challenge multiplier. Though then that is functionally indistinguishable from it being temporary, and you are back to that.

The important thing is, it is one more of those Gygax things that is far worse in imitation than in origination. Even if it was still always bad

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I think the "friendliest to a modern player"* old school officially licesed Dungeons & Dragons computer games are probably Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse.

Al-Qadim is a more curated action adventure gaming experience in a quasi-fantasy Middle Eastern setting, while Dark Sun is a tough post-apocalypse fantasy setting but at least all your characters start with a few levels under their belts/aren't functionally useless for the first 2 hrs of gameplay (cough BALDURS GATE 1 cough Pool of Radiance).

*Don't really consider the Infinity Engine games old-school cRPG's. The Infinity Engine games had enough upgraded graphics, and new gameplay features/character customization options to differentiate themselves from the older generation of officially licensed Dungeons & Dragons games. At best I would classify the Infinity engine games blazing a new cRPG middle-ground that Bioware homesteaded into existence.

Halloween Jack posted:

People really need to read Jon Peterson's Playing at the World which covers gaming in general, but hyper focuses on the gaming precedents that brought about TSR and Dungeons and Dragons, and TSR's first 15 years of existence (it ends near the point where Gygax bailed out/got fired from TSR to write his ultra-crappy Gord the Rogue stories).

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 14, 2020

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

We're about twice as far out from Infinity Engine as Infinity Engine was from Gold Box. Baldur's Gate is 100% old school.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks
We were discussing time limits earlier, and you know, characters aging into uselessness is a sort of time limit.

If you've played Phantasie, you may have been very annoyed by races with shorter lifespans aging during play and losing lots of stats.

It turns out that aging happens twice as fast as intended!

You know how I mentioned that character age is represented in fortnights, for whatever reason?

Here's how the Apple ][ version converts expedition days to fortnights:
code:
490  FOR PM = 0 TO PO:DM =  PEEK (SA + 1194) / 7:LC =  FN C(16): GOSUB 2000: NEXT
Here's how the IBM version does so:
code:
       1000:6d7f a1 f2 63        MOV        AX,[0x63f2]
       1000:6d82 86 e0           XCHG       AL,AH
       1000:6d84 2a e4           SUB        AH,AH
       1000:6d86 b9 07 00        MOV        CX,0x7
       1000:6d89 2b d2           SUB        DX,DX
       1000:6d8b f7 f1           DIV        CX
They're both converting days to weeks, not to fortnights. Oops!

:eng99:

You can fix either by finding the above and changing the offending 7 to 14 (0x0e).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'd maybe classify the IE games as, 'late old-school', in that they were released around the same time as other classic RPGs like Fallout and Might and Magic VI. Yet at the same time, improvements in technology and general game design rules make them a lot more palatable.

I remember running across this article on BG2:EE, where the author's complaint (amongst a bunch of purple prose BS) is that the game feels outdated. It makes me roll my eyes, because while you can certainly criticize BG2 for some dated mechanics, when you compare it to something like the Gold Box games, it seems like a modern game in comparison.

Like yeah, real-time-with-pause is pretty awkward, but Baldur's Gate doesn't require you to refer to a book in order to give you flavor text for an area. I'm not trying to slam the Gold Box games here; I get that was done to utilize as much space on a disk as possible. The article just made me think, "Man, if you think BG2 is archaic, I'd wonder how you'd react to something like Pools of Radiance."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think old school is definitely a frame of mind, as it suggests an era when things were not streamlined and sanitized (in probably any area, not just gaming). Which is why it is hard to agree on, because Baldur's Gate to me definitely feels more like current games than it felt like its predecessors, but it is also hard to deny that anyone who never played any of those other earlier games would see it as farther away from modern games.

AS ALWAYS, IT IS CONTEXT! *starts madly scribbling on overhead projector*

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

quantumfoam posted:

I think the "friendliest to a modern player"* old school officially licesed Dungeons & Dragons computer games are probably Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse.

I don't care about semantic quibbling over terms (old school is just like a state of mind man), but Dark Sun is a game that really shouldn't be missed. Like so many old CRPGs I recommend with caveats of "if you are willing to put up with X bullshit thing" but Dark Sun is just fantastic and has minimal nonsense. I'd say it's easily my favorite not-Infinity Engine D&D game from the 90s. I highly recommend anyone interested in the era at least give it a try.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

I'd maybe classify the IE games as, 'late old-school', in that they were released around the same time as other classic RPGs like Fallout and Might and Magic VI. Yet at the same time, improvements in technology and general game design rules make them a lot more palatable.

I remember running across this article on BG2:EE, where the author's complaint (amongst a bunch of purple prose BS) is that the game feels outdated. It makes me roll my eyes, because while you can certainly criticize BG2 for some dated mechanics, when you compare it to something like the Gold Box games, it seems like a modern game in comparison.

Like yeah, real-time-with-pause is pretty awkward, but Baldur's Gate doesn't require you to refer to a book in order to give you flavor text for an area. I'm not trying to slam the Gold Box games here; I get that was done to utilize as much space on a disk as possible. The article just made me think, "Man, if you think BG2 is archaic, I'd wonder how you'd react to something like Pools of Radiance."

Yes this makes sense.
There is a lot of difference between cRPGs that ran on Commodores/Amigas/various flavors of DOS and cRPG's that ran under Windows 95 and Direct X. Having access to massively improved CPU's, 3d accelerator cards, dozens to hundreds of megabytes of RAM, USB peripherals. If a program or game ran on DOS/Windows 3.1 or older software/hardware, it's old school to me. Rogue and Hack are punch-card/paper-tape tech.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think old school is definitely a frame of mind, as it suggests an era when things were not streamlined and sanitized (in probably any area, not just gaming). Which is why it is hard to agree on, because Baldur's Gate to me definitely feels more like current games than it felt like its predecessors, but it is also hard to deny that anyone who never played any of those other earlier games would see it as farther away from modern games.

AS ALWAYS, IT IS CONTEXT! *starts madly scribbling on overhead projector*

I'm reminded of this image:

:allears:

quantumfoam posted:

Yes this makes sense.
There is a lot of difference between cRPGs that ran on Commodores/Amigas/various flavors of DOS and cRPG's that ran under Windows 95 and Direct X. Having access to massively improved CPU's, 3d accelerator cards, dozens to hundreds of megabytes of RAM, USB peripherals. If a program or game ran on DOS/Windows 3.1 or older software/hardware, it's old school to me. Rogue and Hack are punch-card/paper-tape tech.

Like, if we're talking oldest of the schools, there's games like dnd or Moria, which were mainframe games from the '70s, and predate Rogue and Hack.

One thing I though of is that Diablo came out around that same time as well, but I wouldn't classify Diablo as an 'old-school' RPG. Then again, from what I've read, the success of Diablo is what helped breathe life back into the genre.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Max Wilco posted:

Adorable.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

What kind of Elder Scrolls Gamer Are You?

New School: Skyrim VR (2017)
Old School: Skyrim Special Edition (2016)
Ancient Gamer: Skyrim (2011)
Methuselah Gamer: Oblivion (2006)

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

Like, if we're talking oldest of the schools, there's games like dnd or Moria, which were mainframe games from the '70s, and predate Rogue and Hack.

One thing I though of is that Diablo came out around that same time as well, but I wouldn't classify Diablo as an 'old-school' RPG. Then again, from what I've read, the success of Diablo is what helped breathe life back into the genre.

Colossal Cave Adventure is another mainframe era game too, which morphed into the Zork games when the future founders of Infocom did a Bill Gates<-Steven Jobs<-Xerox Parc thing.
http://rickadams.org/adventure/

Back to your original question about the getting the Ravenloft during GOG's summer sale: Buy them. Ravenloft is the dark spooky gothic TSR setting where everything is designed to punish the player.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

FuzzySlippers posted:

I don't care about semantic quibbling over terms (old school is just like a state of mind man), but Dark Sun is a game that really shouldn't be missed. Like so many old CRPGs I recommend with caveats of "if you are willing to put up with X bullshit thing" but Dark Sun is just fantastic and has minimal nonsense. I'd say it's easily my favorite not-Infinity Engine D&D game from the 90s. I highly recommend anyone interested in the era at least give it a try.

Doesn't the first DS game (I can never remember which comes first) potentially have some bugs that can literally make the game unwinnable?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

Doesn't the first DS game (I can never remember which comes first) potentially have some bugs that can literally make the game unwinnable?

I played through the original a few times and don't recall anything. You might be thinking of the sequel which was incredibly buggy. I think even after a bunch of patches it was still a mess. I wonder if anyone ever tried to fix it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Max Wilco posted:

I remember when a few of those images were going around, and one of them made me mad because it was being taken seriously despite some of the games in the "ancient gamer" section having come out before the games in the "old school gamer" section. Yes, this is obviously the important take-away from these pictures

Max Wilco posted:

That is a common misconception; Stonekeep is actually the RPG that singlehandedly rejuvenated the entire video game industry

I sometimes think Diablo might have actually been a gateway drug to MMORPGs, considering before it came out I had literally never even briefly considered RPGs to be a multiplayer endeavor and I doubt I was alone in that (though I realize any 1991-version Neverwinter Nights veterans would find that idea offensive, and I bet there are other examples too). Ultima Online was basically just a slower and more complicated Diablo, if you think about it, mannnnn

(and yes Diablo was just a fancier Sword of Fargoal et alia)

Also thanks for the Good Old Games heads-up, as I am totally going to buy the Dark Sun, Ravenloft, and Al-Qadim gang, and perhaps even one day play them!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Max Wilco posted:

That.... that is meant as a joke, right? Right?!?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tarquinn posted:

That.... that is meant as a joke, right? Right?!?

Yeah it's a joke,

grandpa.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Thanks, son. 👴🏻

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

That is a common misconception; Stonekeep is actually the RPG that singlehandedly rejuvenated the entire video game industry

Okay, now I think this is a joke, because I feel like Stonekeep isn't that widely remembered (then again, I could be wrong).

The whole article can't be accessed (even when using Archive.org), but 1UP had an article talking about how Diablo saved the computer RPG. There was also a video (which I can't view, because SME has blocked it in every country in the world) where they talked about something similar, and it mentioned how some PC gaming magazine had a year or so before actually opted not to vote in 'Best RPG of the Year' because there was nothing they thought was worthy of the award.

The impression I got was that Diablo's success was what helped greenlight a lot of other CRPGs that followed, like Fallout and Baldur's Gate.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Max Wilco posted:

The whole article can't be accessed (even when using Archive.org), but 1UP had an article talking about how Diablo saved the computer RPG. There was also a video (which I can't view, because SME has blocked it in every country in the world) where they talked about something similar, and it mentioned how some PC gaming magazine had a year or so before actually opted not to vote in 'Best RPG of the Year' because there was nothing they thought was worthy of the award.

The impression I got was that Diablo's success was what helped greenlight a lot of other CRPGs that followed, like Fallout and Baldur's Gate.

The CRPG was still widely considered to be dead for all of 1997 and much of 1998. There was a lot of complaining about this on the Internet back then.

Might and Magic 6 is the other game that changed that. I'm guessing even people who were around then may not remember how much of a big deal MM6 was.

Fallout and Baldur's Gate were not widely known back then; it took years for them to establish themselves as classic flagship franchises. The original Diablo didn't have this problem to nearly the same extent, since Blizzard was so trusted as the creator of the already-classic Warcraft II.

I mean, it took several months for the original Fallout just to overcome "another Wasteland, oh you mean like Scavengers of the Mutant World or Fountain of Dreams". :v: (Yes, there was a lot of that initially.)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Max Wilco posted:

Okay, now I think this is a joke, because I feel like Stonekeep isn't that widely remembered (then again, I could be wrong).

That video is obviously blocked in every country in the world because it has the word "goon" in the URL

I actually remember watching that video; truly, forbidden fruit

And yes the Stonekeep thing was definitely a joke. It was heralded as the next big thing in CRPGs, but then was basically "Dungeon Master but not as fun, with terrible full motion video, and honestly worse-looking even beyond that." Kind of fun to play, but I think the box was the most innovative part of the game.

I had forgotten about that best RPG award not being given out thing; being a burgeoning angry child I am fairly certain I remember yelling the names of RPGs I thought were amazing in response to that, but I do not remember what year it actually was to now check and see if I was clearly wrong about there being any good RPGs that year. Contemplating the timeline it does seem like the rise of polygonal graphics scared all the pixel-art RPG series into hiding, or at least development cycles lined up in such a way to suggest that. Wow, even Ultima VIII was 1994.

Hmm, 1995 had Anvil of Dawn, Albion, and World of Aden: Thunderscape. From what I know of those three they are not so abysmally terrible that they should have dragged an entire category down, though maybe the point of not giving the award was that there was no objectively great title... I would say maybe it was 1996 except we have already established that was when Diablo came out, plus Daggerfall and Shadows Over Riva! And 1994 also had Arena and an Ishar and a Realms of Arkania and even SYSTEM SHOCK! in addition to the other AD&D stuff discussed earlier.

Oh I have been writing this on and off so long that Boldor pointed out the 1997/1998 issue. I certainly was actively arguing about things on Usenet there (and still on my own BBS until mid-1998!) as I definitely refused to believe the CRPG was dead, or that it had even really gone away in the first place, but I also had a ticket to attend the Fallout 2 release party and then chickened out from going at the last minute* because I had probably never gone more than 10 minutes from my hometown by myself, so clearly I was an outlier in terms of CRPG knowledge and enthusiasm at the time. Might & Magic VI was definitely exciting though, I took a picture of my computer with the menu screen up because I was so stoked to see one of the classic series make a triumphant return. Ultima Online also singlehandedly proved that the CRPG was not just still alive, but was the wave of the future; never before and rarely since have I spent literally every waking moment not spent showering or eating playing a video game for months on end. What I am saying is my life has been 80% about being excited about CRPGs

*spiritually rectified by attending the Wasteland 2 release party alone, though being an adult kind of helped

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

And yes the Stonekeep thing was definitely a joke. It was heralded as the next big thing in CRPGs, but then was basically "Dungeon Master but not as fun, with terrible full motion video, and honestly worse-looking even beyond that." Kind of fun to play, but I think the box was the most innovative part of the game.

Going to out myself as a nerd among nerds here, but: I got a copy of Stonekeep with the 5-CD "Ultimate RPG Archives" collection from Interplay, and I unironically got more enjoyment out of the setup program than the actual game.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Dr. Quarex posted:

Hmm, 1995 had Anvil of Dawn, Albion, and World of Aden: Thunderscape. From what I know of those three they are not so abysmally terrible that they should have dragged an entire category down, though maybe the point of not giving the award was that there was no objectively great title... I would say maybe it was 1996 except we have already established that was when Diablo came out, plus Daggerfall and Shadows Over Riva! And 1994 also had Arena and an Ishar and a Realms of Arkania and even SYSTEM SHOCK! in addition to the other AD&D stuff discussed earlier.

I meant specifically 1997, plus or minus a year at most.

1994 and 1995 were certainly not dead. People expected a constant stream of at least OK CRPGs that seemed to abruptly dry up.

This was seen as a bad omen because such decline had likewise happened to adventure games, and had showed no sign of ever recovering. In retrospect, the continued success of console RPGs should have been a good sign (this is when the original Final Fantasy VII came out and was a smashing success), but critics were usually very dismissive of that argument then.

The original Diablo came out on December 31, 1996. That just barely counts as 1996, you know. :v:

Elder Scrolls also absolutely did not have the cachet then that it does now; Daggerfall was very much regarded as "I guess it's okay, if you ignore all the bugs, which are not okay" in that era.

This was also the era of great anticipation that the sleeper hit Betrayal at Krondor was going to get two sequels ... and both ended up mediocre.

And speaking of Ultima VIII, there had been much wringing of hands about how much it sucked. Well, that's happened with every Ultima since at least IV, but this time the complainers actually had a good point ... though by this time that controversy was already years old.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

rujasu posted:

Going to out myself as a nerd among nerds here, but: I got a copy of Stonekeep with the 5-CD "Ultimate RPG Archives" collection from Interplay, and I unironically got more enjoyment out of the setup program than the actual game.
Even though I definitely have that same collection sitting around here somewhere, I do not remember that I ever actually installed anything from it; was the setup program at all fun or is it precisely as damning a comment as it sounds? Haha.

Boldor posted:

I meant specifically 1997, plus or minus a year at most.

1994 and 1995 were certainly not dead. People expected a constant stream of at least OK CRPGs that seemed to abruptly dry up.

This was seen as a bad omen because such decline had likewise happened to adventure games, and had showed no sign of ever recovering. In retrospect, the continued success of console RPGs should have been a good sign (this is when the original Final Fantasy VII came out and was a smashing success), but critics were usually very dismissive of that argument then.

The original Diablo came out on December 31, 1996. That just barely counts as 1996, you know. :v:

Elder Scrolls also absolutely did not have the cachet then that it does now; Daggerfall was very much regarded as "I guess it's okay, if you ignore all the bugs, which are not okay" in that era.

This was also the era of great anticipation that the sleeper hit Betrayal at Krondor was going to get two sequels ... and both ended up mediocre.

And speaking of Ultima VIII, there had been much wringing of hands about how much it sucked. Well, that's happened with every Ultima since at least IV, but this time the complainers actually had a good point ... though by this time that controversy was already years old.
1997 for me was basically full of non-stop Ultima Online hype leading to playing the beta and then getting the finished product, so it would have been impossible to convince Mr. Myopia here that there was any issue with the CRPG world, particularly as I had probably also been playing Diablo in my downtime between updating my Ultima Online hype webpage (I have tried so many times to scour OOCities for any trace of it, but I can only fathom it was somehow wiped for inactivity before the archive was created) and trying to find more things to read about it.

Your point about adventure games is certainly interesting, as they did sort of seem to follow a similar trajectory in terms of big-name release quantity. But there was also never a backlash against the very concept of RPGs in the same way there was about the fundamentals behind adventure gaming. Well. Maybe there was actually. I certainly was not involved in that argument if so, whereas I was busy telling everyone who would listen that Grim Fandango proved I could simultaneously love a game while wishing it did not exist

Thanks also for reminding me about bugs in 1990s gaming, back when telling someone that a game crashed a lot was potentially the kiss of death, rather than just what you say before "but it is lots of fun!!!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rujasu posted:

The hard cover novella that comes with Stonekeep is better than the game. And the novella sucks.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Dr. Quarex posted:

1997 for me was basically full of non-stop Ultima Online hype leading to playing the beta and then getting the finished product, so it would have been impossible to convince Mr. Myopia here that there was any issue with the CRPG world, particularly as I had probably also been playing Diablo in my downtime between updating my Ultima Online hype webpage (I have tried so many times to scour OOCities for any trace of it, but I can only fathom it was somehow wiped for inactivity before the archive was created) and trying to find more things to read about it.

Oh, the entire concept of multiplayer games is another matter entirely.

There was enormous skepticism at the time whether it was viable or not. This despite things like MUDs having existed for years, and the then-recent incredible success of Warcraft II thanks to its robust multiplayer. (And other games too -- I still play Master of Orion II multiplayer. Yes, that community is still around even, though these days I'm more a member of the original Master of Orion community.)

There was a widespread belief back then that computer games are fundamentally single-player. Sid Meier was one of the most famous proponents of this viewpoint, though I don't know if he still believes that. (These days, there's a lot of utter garbage believed about the first three Civilization games -- always has been, really. That's a reason why I want to write those up too.) A lot of criticism of Warcraft II then came from its relatively lackluster single-player campaigns -- that was all there was, as far as many people cared.

So any talk about multiplayer gaming was often dismissed (occasionally even as "not real gaming"!) A lot of people were thoroughly alarmed that Ultima Online looked to replace the valued and long-standing single-player experience, in particular.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

rujasu posted:

I actually remember enjoying Stonekeep, but three thing to keep in mind:
    - I was a very, very stupid kid.
    - I love anything FMV to an unreasonable degree, and the worse the better
    - The only things I actually remember from the game are the apple lady from the opening cutscene and some annoying goblin that taunted me for what felt like forever
Whereas Wiz Gold and World of Xeen turned me on to their respective series in a big way, I vaguely remember Stonekeep as "good" without any qualifiers. I suspect the actual good games in that collection just made everything in it seem fun in retrospect.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 14, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve tried like 3 times now to get into either M and M 3, and M and M 6, and I just can’t break through. I’m like at the perfect age to love these games, as I was a teen when they came out, but I didn’t play them back when they were new and now sitting down to play them feels like work. I’d love to be able to play Wizardry 6, 7, 8, and the Might and Magic series, but drat they’re hard to get into. I do love Heroes of Might and Magic though, and am thinking I’d picking up HoMM 7.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've never played MM3, because it's right at that edge of "too old to still be fun without constantly fighting the outdated design" to me, but MM6 is one I've played and finished. What's your problem with it? Maybe I can help. I found it fairly simple to get into, so maybe it's just a little thing that's holding you back.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Stonekeep was popular enough to get a spinoff on the Wii.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I actually remember enjoying Stonekeep, but three thing to keep in mind:
    - I was a very, very stupid kid.
    - I love anything FMV to an unreasonable degree, and the worse the better
    - The only things I actually remember from the game are the apple lady from the opening cutscene and some annoying goblin that taunted me for what felt like forever
Whereas Wiz Gold and World of Xeen turned me on to their respective series in a big way, I vaguely remember Stonekeep as "good" without any qualifiers. I suspect the actual good games in that collection just made everything in it seem fun in retrospect.

I remember first reading about Stonekeep on a really old Gamespot article talking about vaporware titles. I remember I tried to watch Kikoskia's LP of it once, but the audio for it was hard to hear (he has redone it since then, though I haven't watched it.) I did read the screenshot LP on the archive.

I bought it on GOG at some point, so I'm obligated to play it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 15, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cardiovorax posted:

I've never played MM3, because it's right at that edge of "too old to still be fun without constantly fighting the outdated design" to me, but MM6 is one I've played and finished. What's your problem with it? Maybe I can help. I found it fairly simple to get into, so maybe it's just a little thing that's holding you back.

I walk around and point my mouse at people and talk to them and then just go “eh, I wanna do something else” and then exit the game. I wish I had a better explanation of my aversion to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I walk around and point my mouse at people and talk to them and then just go “eh, I wanna do something else” and then exit the game. I wish I had a better explanation of my aversion to it.
Well, that's just kind of what M&M games do, so I guess I can't really offer a lot of help with that after all.