Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

mossyfisk posted:

So... our big advantage is that we're SO vulnerable to alien space madness that we realized it early on? While everyone else was soaked with the stuff by the time nukes started flying.

Maybe the eigenvector for surviving the Great Filter is to be sufficiently eccentric so drat crazy that the abyss takes one look and runs away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

So... our big advantage is that we're SO vulnerable to alien space madness that we realized it early on? While everyone else was soaked with the stuff by the time nukes started flying.

The most likely explanation to me seems that in the process of uplifting the first ones attempted to bio engineer jump madness resistance into their clients based off their own resilience, and partly succeeded. Just not well enough.

Random coincidence of evolution gave the first ones near total immunity to jump sickness and us massive vulnerability.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think teh Illuminati bred jump madness into humans, for their own reasons.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

sebmojo posted:

Ask for the reactivation protocols for the 36 close combat drones currently on Luna, and how close we have to be to use them.

Can you provide an inventory of stored combat/exploration capable materiel in your Pluto site.

"I can provide small devices that will be able to trigger reactivation of the drones if brought into physical contact. I have repaired a number of multipurpose units which have some combat capabilities but nothing significant on a ship to ship combat scale."

unwantedplatypus posted:

What was the socio-economic-political system of the Collaboration like, and how close were its values to a Worker's Paradise?

"Members were able to determine their own socioeconomic systems while the First Ones, due to their longevity and unique nature had very little use for such a system."

ChaseSP posted:

Can you detect any other collaboration technology in system?

"No."

RA Rx posted:

1. Were any of the client species salvageable, or was the genocide to a large extent a matter of convenience?

2. Were any client species that became mentally unstable ever fully naturally evolved? Were the original, sane members of the Collaboration naturally evolved?

3. What if we duplicate our minds to the net to avoid the duplicate going crazy?
Additionally, this might actually cause our cyber-self to go crazy as well, but if we used a zero-latency full immersion quantum network connection to duplicate ourselves, we could then stay connected and use the cyberized self to stay in total telepathic connection and thus monitor our organic self for jump sickness from a shared first person perspective.

"Isolation attempts were made but it seems that once the madness has set into a population there was no going back. Isolated, low or pre-technological enclaves were attempted and these were successful around 1/3 of the time but upon raising species back to high technology they would eventually follow the same path."

"None of the client species of the Collaboration were completely naturally evolved, all had some sort of meddling and uplift from the first ones. However there are archeological records of extinct civilisations who predated the Collaboration which suffered the same fate. The first ones were naturally evolved in the strictest sense but due to their nature they were naturally modifying their own genetic codes even in pretechnological times."

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Why didn't the First Ones cotton on to the whole space-madness thing after a couple of species went bonkers?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Are humans naturally evolved? If not, who has influenced their development?

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 3, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

sebmojo posted:

"THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER"

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Saros posted:

"I can provide small devices that will be able to trigger reactivation of the drones if brought into physical contact. I have repaired a number of multipurpose units which have some combat capabilities but nothing significant on a ship to ship combat scale."

How quickly can we prep an SB team?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
What is this "special nature" of the First Ones anyway?

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

Crazyeyes24 posted:

What is this "special nature" of the First Ones anyway?

Giant bacteria constantly editing their genetic code?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tell us more about the First Ones aka your parents

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Saros posted:

Do the hardliners control Luna or do the loyalists? If it's the hardliners then maybe we could use a ground assault on their positions on Luna as a pretext to get close enough to the drones to activate them. Otherwise we'll either have to tell Putina or rely on the Illuminati for our deus-ex-machina-ex-luna.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Luna is the site of the Terran fleet HQ isn't it? Thus presumably in hardliner hands.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pharnakes posted:

Luna is the site of the Terran fleet HQ isn't it? Thus presumably in hardliner hands.

I am desperately keen to see this happen, but I guess getting a ship to earth orbit could be challenging in the current astropolitical environment

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The Special Branch works in mysterious ways.....

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Not a question to Facility, but just wanting an update.

What is crabfleet currently doing while this is going on?

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
Facility, you mentioned that the species we've encountered and named the "Kasag" was one that was encountered by the Collaboration less than 2 decades before the Collaboration's dissolution. Do you records indicate any notable happenstances, changes, or otherwise major events for the Collaboration between the discovery of the Kasag and the Collaboration's collapse?

Followup: Do your records simply end with a lack of continued contact or actually end with the dissolution of the Collaboration as an effective government, if the former what are some last comms/information of note, if the latter similar question, hopefully with some indication of what caused the Collaboration to entirely collapse?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Facility,
What is this unique nature of the First Ones?
As a Collaboration AI, how does your intelligence and knowledge rate compared to your creators?
The Kasag seem quite mad, would a live subject be useful to you in determining how this madness develops over the millennia?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Do you have any further records on why is there an extra planet in Rangi?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

scavy131 posted:

Facility, you mentioned that the species we've encountered and named the "Kasag" was one that was encountered by the Collaboration less than 2 decades before the Collaboration's dissolution.

She didn't. She said they seem to have been uplifted by what was cutting-edge Collaboration tech in the run-up to whatever Bad Times put paid to them.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

So the Fart Crabs we've been fighting were the Collaboration's last attempt at making friends before 'something' destroyed their civ; and when they eventually went nuts like all the previous experiments, nobody was around to euthanize them.

Makes me wonder if the Kasag didn't discover what happened to all their previous siblings and figured out a way to kill their gods before before they eventually disappointed them.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nevets posted:

So the Fart Crabs we've been fighting were the Collaboration's last attempt at making friends before 'something' destroyed their civ; and when they eventually went nuts like all the previous experiments, nobody was around to euthanize them.

Makes me wonder if the Kasag didn't discover what happened to all their previous siblings and figured out a way to kill their gods before before they eventually disappointed them.

Given how hard Uncle Speedy trashed their fleet, I don't quite see it

Calebc789
Sep 8, 2014

Is there anything in the records about the dead alien civilization in the Graveyard system?

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Nevets posted:

I rather suspect the Kasag are Uplift 2.0 when the First Ones were getting bored of killing client races. Can't go meaningfully crazy if they have no free will after the nerve stapling. Which could mean there's at least one First One out there in some form, pulling strings. Or that they're following some final program and just spreading and killing.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

At least going crazy only seems to make you insanely hostile to other species. The Kasag are still functioning internally at least at a minimal level, what with having a governor, fleets and soldiers and all they must still have some civilization.

They're even able to back off and have at least a partial unofficial truce with Speedy, even though it was broken recently on his part.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nothing says it's an intelligent governor. Maybe it's just a basic AI that does some event: response work.

Meet new Xeno - PURGE
When Xeno overpowers fleets, negotiate non-interaction.
When betrayal - PURGE.

Currax
Jul 11, 2017

Veloxyll posted:

Didn't you get the memo? It's Auntie.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Veloxyll posted:

Maybe not directly, but they could have discovered how to summon some of the extradimensional demons the Collaboration was so worried about and hoped they'd destroy each other.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Nevets posted:

Maybe not directly, but they could have discovered how to summon some of the extradimensional demons the Collaboration was so worried about and hoped they'd destroy each other.

I want this to be true. I really hope our nemesis is Satan-conjuring fart crabs.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Friend Commuter posted:

Why didn't the First Ones cotton on to the whole space-madness thing after a couple of species went bonkers?

At the most basic level it is because it was buried deep in their very nature.

The reasons for the uprising or madness appeared to differ each time and often were not even apparent as a madness. It was not until several repetitions of the cycle that it became obvious that it even was one and then it was believed to be simply species were innately determined to become independent. Blame was then apportioned to the individuals responsible for uplift and due to their longevity and very limited numbers radical thought was discouraged. The First ones were powerful but extremely conservative and prone to arrogance.

After establishing it was in fact an ongoing issue they believed that they would be able to mitigate the rebellious tendencies through more and more extreme modification as part of the uplift process. Being without a client species was not strongly considered due to the physical limitations inherent to the First ones.

sebmojo posted:

There is no evidence within my databanks supporting external influence on human development.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Tell us more about the First Ones aka your parents

The First Ones are unlike any other species before or after them and this requires some elaboration for them to be understood. You in fact found the remains of one in your investigations of Ranginui V.

Saros posted:

Report - MaXCOM Xenoarchaeology team
At present the tower is pitch black due to the top end being capped but radar measurements show us approximately 241,000 cubic kilometers of largely open space. At some points great structures seem to hang from the walls or across the interior and the bottom of the spire is littered with fallen wreckage from what was likely once similar hanging cities or installations. The architect of the team points out that if one was to stand roughly in the center of the spire in a somewhat elevated position the various hanging structures give rise to the illusion that one is within a forest, albeit an enormous and rather vertical one.

An excursion over to the central point finds a massive raised bowl over a kilometer wide filled with what appears to be frozen dirt. The central section is buried under a fallen hanging structure the size of a city but ground penetrating radar indicates that the frozen soil/earth extends all the way to the bedrock indicating that the spire appears to be capped on the top but not on the bottom.

Smashed and broken under the remains of several fallen structures are frozen and fossilized remains of what from all signs appears to be a truly enormous tree of alien origin. The incredulous team members estimate is was over seven hundred meters tall before it was destroyed by the falling debris then the relatively few surviving remnants found were frozen and fossilized by time.

They are different in a number of key ways from nearly all recorded intelligent life. More akin to Terrestrial trees than animal life they blend the boundaries between what would be considered the different trees of life. Their own origins are somewhat shrouded but in the earliest time it seems likely they began as simply a very large form of plant life. The turning point was when they adopted endosymbiotic relationships wholeheartedly and began to transition from a (relatively) simple plant to a form of colony creature. Their intelligence arouse from a captured and nurtured fungus which developed to form a neural network within the trees and other on-boarding of organisms followed suit.

A number of important factors distinguish them beyond this. The first is their longevity and size. As a colony creature they were on a biological level immortal and barring catastrophe would continue to grow larger throughout their lives as long as gravity and space allowed. Their 'thoughts' were largely processed via chemical impulses rather than electrical which made them slow thinker s but their sheer scale (pre-technologically they were know to grow to around three hundred meters in height) allowed massive parallel processing which eventually resulted in the emergence of a strange sort of deliberate intelligence. They eventually domesticated a species of tool using animal native to their planet. These servants had enough intelligence to carry out simple tasks and after generations of effort the First Ones managed to breed greater and greater intelligence into what was rapidly becoming their way of interacting with the outside world.

Technological development progressed slowly but deliberately and eventually they began to look outwards, at the boundaries of space. Space travel was slow and frustrating for the First Ones as without direct guidance their servants (who while ever growing smarter were still quite dim by the standards of most technological species) would flounder and generally fall apart. Even the discovery of Trans-Newtonian elements didn't kick start any real space exploration, they were content to sit at home and slowly develop until the technology existed to take themselves into space.

Once they did they began to steadily expand along the Orion spur, in all their time they never met a truly technological species but they found evidence of many many coming before them including rare intact artifacts like the Sunskimmer. Eventually they came to the conclusion that all the species that predated them had eventually gone extinct due to a lack of diversity meaning an inability to deal with problems that would arise - i.e. no evidence was found for simultaneous existence of technological species, species would one by one arise and then die off. This was of course worrying to a species which thought on the timescales they did and their own immortality further made it a more personal problem.

Even once the development of sufficiently advanced artificial intelligence's did away with the need for servants the First Ones continued to develop their client species. Their own collective nature was seen as their greatest strength and further diversity was ordained as the best defense against the ravages of time. So began the programs to explore space and uplift new species who could be brought into the fold.

scavy131 posted:

Facility, you mentioned that the species we've encountered and named the "Kasag" was one that was encountered by the Collaboration less than 2 decades before the Collaboration's dissolution. Do you records indicate any notable happenstances, changes, or otherwise major events for the Collaboration between the discovery of the Kasag and the Collaboration's collapse?

Followup: Do your records simply end with a lack of continued contact or actually end with the dissolution of the Collaboration as an effective government, if the former what are some last comms/information of note, if the latter similar question, hopefully with some indication of what caused the Collaboration to entirely collapse?

Final records are hazy and have very little information as the update from the Speedy does not contain local knowledge. As far as could be determined nothing was out of the ordinary before a sudden cessation of all communications and shutdown of the facility. Of note is the uplift project of the Kasag, an event that only occurred a handful of times a millennia and the Kasag project itself was unusual in the level of secrecy surrounding it and the heavy involvement of truly independent Military AI (themselves a relatively recent experiment) in the project.

pun pundit posted:

As a Collaboration AI, how does your intelligence and knowledge rate compared to your creators?
The Kasag seem quite mad, would a live subject be useful to you in determining how this madness develops over the millennia?

Comparing intelligence directly between entities is fraught with difficulty. I would process much faster and be able to mimic the parallel systems of a First One but their own depth of experience and what was dubbed 'deep thought' far exceeds mine. I do not see what could be learned from a live Kasag beyond what you have determined, they seem to lack individuality and be more akin to drones than truly sentient creatures.

Pash posted:

Do you have any further records on why is there an extra planet in Rangi?

Nothing whatsoever, it is truly strange but much has changed over millions of years like the rearrangement of the jump network and the rise and fall of several civilizations.

Calebc789 posted:

Is there anything in the records about the dead alien civilization in the Graveyard system?

Nothing whatsoever, there is not sign that the Collaboration ever discovered system and it did not previously exist only one jump from Ranginui. Due to the elapsed time and the relative movement of all bodies I am unable to backtrack to see if I can track the star via historical data.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
How susceptible to Space Madness are the Minds of the collaboration?

My guess is that The Governor is the aforementioned military AI, and it's Space Mad.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
You previously mentioned that the collaboration was in part created do defend against extradimensional(is that right?) incursions. Do you have any more information about what those were?

What occurred when a portal opened above Pluto which you helped close? What destroyed our ship during that exchange?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

How resistant are you AIs against space madness?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Pash posted:

What occurred when a portal opened above Pluto which you helped close? What destroyed our ship during that exchange?

Huh, I can't remember how much of that came up in-universe.

I always thought it was odd we were so nice to Facility after it lied to us and tried to deliver a giant warship into our system.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So when you are a giant immortal tree who thinks in centuries if not millennia as we would in minutes and hours it's hardly surprising that they would view animal life as fleeting tools to be used rather than equals. This explains why they kept uplifting species at least.

I would imagine the distributed/multilayered and inherently slow nature of their thoughts is largely responsible for their resistance to jump madness, possibly also the warp effects can interfere with electrical signals but can't generate sufficient energy in this universe to alter chemicals?

We should try and build an AI of sufficient intelligence to pay the tax on a giant mechanical computer and see what happens :v:

It will go mad and murder us all when a cog sheds a tooth. Very very slowly murder us anyway.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There's also the fact that they're colony lifeforms made up of multiple species incorporated into their whole over time. So uplifted species might seem less like tools than possible new body parts.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Fuckin Trees man...

I guess it must have taken them fuckin forever to attain even that basic communication with their first client species.

Were the First Ones ever able to conduct interstellar jumps alone, without a sapient client species aboard?

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
So the First Ones probably implemented tighter and tighter controls on new client species. Finally the Kasag project ended up being close enough to a direct interface that their weird tree brains got a big dose of jump madness by proxy through their krab puppets. Collaboration fin.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Is Facility aware of our political situation in the present form? Get the feeling it will probably not give weapon tech or we'll all destroy each other/get mopped up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

ChaseSP posted:

Is Facility aware of our political situation in the present form? Get the feeling it will probably not give weapon tech or we'll all destroy each other/get mopped up

He'd have to be pretty drat blind to miss a space war going on just a couple dozen AU away.