Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Justin Credible posted:

I really, really don't get this mentality, and it ties in to an attitude of a friend of mine. I pointed out how World War Z (the movie from the book) looks awful, goes in a completely different direction than the book did while stripping out what made the book interesting and memorable and good. I say zombies as some sort of water-like super-fast tide is idiotic at best, plus it looks terrible.

The response? "Just be grateful we're getting anything at all."

I just do not loving get the attitude of expecting to pay for the privilege of eating mediocre poo poo and being happy just because it's 'something'.

It goes along the same line of thinking of "gamer entitlement" where as soon as you complain about something being insufferably stupid or the developers showing a massive lapse of competence it somehow turns into a thing about artistic license and you whining too much and expecting too much.
Developers have essentially become cults of personality in this industry, where they do unbelievably stupid or bizarre poo poo with their games and half their fanbase defends them because the fanboy mindset has been far too ingrained into this industry. Developers are idolized, and even if they're incompetent and half the time have absolutely no idea what they're doing and get by with dumb luck or using simple addictive mechanics (Gearbox, hooha), there will be absolute tons of people defending them since your taste and public image is jeopardized if someone else thinks the thing you like is loving stupid.

That's of course a load of total bullshit, I don't care if people are buying this total piece of poo poo, I'm just wondering why Gearbox thought it was okay to sell it, or why the hell I would want to pay fifty dollars.
Or, most importantly, how the gently caress what is likely millions of dollars has been spent on this travesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Which may have been forced to get the game running at an acceptable framerate and keep it from running out of memory on the 360. Are there any comparison shots between the 360 and the PC version around?

I don't think that's a reason for them to completely change the lighting and mood of the game to look way more bland, on top of loving with the audio and changing cut scene presentation.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Giggily posted:

I don't think that's a reason for them to completely change the lighting and mood of the game to look way more bland, on top of loving with the audio and changing cut scene presentation.

You'd think so :smith:

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is
drat. I was hoping the negativity was just typical Goon overreaction, but no, the game REALLY looks like poo poo. The aliens move like they have arthritis and the overall atmosphere in the Lets Play is a huge step down from the earlier video posted here.

This somehow managed to be more mediocre than all of the sci-fi shooters that have been aping Aliens for years.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Giggily posted:

This makes me think of the Doom III leaked alpha. I was so hyped up for Doom III because of that alpha. It was grim, terrifying and had incredible sound design. I really liked the presentation of the game. And when the game came out, they changed the sounds for all the bad guys, and turned the overall atmosphere into something far more generic. Such a shame.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Shonuff posted:

drat. I was hoping the negativity was just typical Goon overreaction, but no, the game REALLY looks like poo poo. The aliens move like they have arthritis and the overall atmosphere in the Lets Play is a huge step down from the earlier video posted here.

This somehow managed to be more mediocre than all of the sci-fi shooters that have been aping Aliens for years.

I wasn't expecting miracles from the single player, I guess my hope is that the multiplayer was going to be epic. From what I've seen in reviews, it is a lot better. But everyone is ripping Singleplayer, and it seems rightly so.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Shonuff posted:

This is the thing that irks me the most. Aliens games should be incredible. The formula is so perfect for gaming and every loving AAA game in existence is almost entirely built around "let's rip off Aliens as much as humanly possible". It's a crime that no one has done more with the license.

I'm imagining an Aliens game in the vein of Dead Space and I'm creaming my proverbial pants so hard right now. Ultimately I think it's a problem with developers not wanting to take any risks these days - which is especially endemic to Colonial Marines.

Here's the thing: I don't want an Aliens game to just be a complete nostalgia piece. I want new weapons, I want space walking, I want less, but more intelligent enemies, I want to be put in situations that aren't in any of the goddamn movies! I don't even mind if they add new Alien types, but be creative instead of just ripping off Left 4 Dead! Even Prometheus, as reviled as it is, at least tried to go in a different direction and I'd take that any day of the week over finding Hicks' loving purple epic shotgun, gently caress you.

The whole thing seems so safe and predictable and it doesn't even look like they could get that type of game right. Oy vey iz mir.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Hakkesshu posted:

This is the thing that irks me the most. Aliens games should be incredible. The formula is so perfect for gaming and every loving AAA game in existence is almost entirely built around "let's rip off Aliens as much as humanly possible". It's a crime that no one has done more with the license.

And I would say that every game that HAS ripped off Aliens is part of the reason why an ACTUAL Aliens game is so mediocre. Been there, done that. There aren't that many unique directions left to take (if you want a product that actually sells to the masses).

quote:

Here's the thing: I don't want an Aliens game to just be a complete nostalgia piece. I want new weapons, I want space walking, I want less, but more intelligent enemies, I want to be put in situations that aren't in any of the goddamn movies! I don't even mind if they add new Alien types, but be creative instead of just ripping off Left 4 Dead! Even Prometheus, as reviled as it is, at least tried to go in a different direction and I'd take that any day of the week over finding Hicks' loving purple epic shotgun, gently caress you.

The whole thing seems so safe and predictable and it doesn't even look like they could get that type of game right. Oy vey iz mir.

Yeah, the fan base has some of the fault there. They wanted something safe, authentic and, gently caress it, copy / pasted from the movie. They spent months arguing about the shape of the dorsal fins, for christ's sake. If GB had went with original creature designs or original settings? NOT CANON, FAILURE. And apparently sticking exactly with the established universe was also a failure. Nobody wins!

So they made a decision and it, it was a... bad call? Where have I heard that before?

JebanyPedal posted:

how the gently caress what is likely millions of dollars has been spent on this travesty.

If you like that, you're gonna love this

InsanityIsCrazy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 8, 2013

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm imagining an Aliens game in the vein of Dead Space and I'm creaming my proverbial pants so hard right now.

I thought Dead Space offered a near-perfect blueprint for a tolerable Alien(s) game. It got the lighting, the creatures, the tension, the futuristic interiors so right in creating the mood I was looking for.

I look at Colonial Marines and it just seems uninspired and sterile, like a bad Halo knockoff with xenomorphs shambling around waiting to get shot.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Hakkesshu posted:

This bugs me so much as well. I mean we have Metroid and Dead Space, which are gigantic rip-offs (I'm using this in a good way, if possible), and both are incredible games/series. Then we have Aliens: Infestation, which is a Metroid ripoff, going full circle. gently caress it, give the Alien license to Retro and have them make an FPS.

Shonuff posted:

I thought Dead Space offered a near-perfect blueprint for a tolerable Alien(s) game. It got the lighting, the creatures, the tension, the futuristic interiors so right in creating the mood I was looking for.

I look at Colonial Marines and it just seems uninspired and sterile, like a bad Halo knockoff with xenomorphs shambling around waiting to get shot.

Also this is spot on. Replaying the first Dead Space and I agree 100%.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Also this is spot on. Replaying the first Dead Space and I agree 100%.

Yeah, I replayed DS1 last weekend in preparation for 3 and it's basically Alien and The Thing having the sweetest sex ever. Fantastic game.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
Since we're already yammering about Dead Space, I'm wondering if I should pick up DS3 now. I've heard its lost some of the dark, flickering creepy space ship vibe, but surely, it can't be as bad as Colonial Marines?

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
:downsbravo:
Excellent troll Gearbox. You got us this time.

I can see those promo videos right now with Randy Pitchford and his writers putting their glasses on in those cooool camera shots.

:fh::smug::fh: "Yeah, I looove the aliens series, we love these movies we're totally all about what makes the Aliens series great, heh heh...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shonuff posted:

Since we're already yammering about Dead Space, I'm wondering if I should pick up DS3 now. I've heard its lost some of the dark, flickering creepy space ship vibe, but surely, it can't be as bad as Colonial Marines?

Dead space 3 is good so far on my end, you should give it a shot. But back on topic, How bad are the controls in colonial marines.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 8, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shonuff posted:

Dead Space 3 is a fun game but it is a bad Dead Space game, if that makes sense? It really is not anywhere horror anymore, unless you consider something like ME3 horror.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Somebody please tell me that Hicks isn't really alive and that ending spoiler was just a joke because I can't believe for one second that Gearbox would seriously do something so utterly retarded.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

MUFFlNS posted:

Somebody please tell me that Hicks isn't really alive and that ending spoiler was just a joke because I can't believe for one second that Gearbox would seriously do something so utterly retarded.

It's a clone, duh.

ImpAtom posted:

Dead Space 3 is a fun game but it is a bad Dead Space game, if that makes sense? It really is not anywhere horror anymore, unless you consider something like ME3 horror.

See this is what I am hoping this game turns out to be(As worst case scenario), a bad Aliens game but a good L4D knock off.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Justin Credible posted:

I really, really don't get this mentality, and it ties in to an attitude of a friend of mine. I pointed out how World War Z (the movie from the book) looks awful, goes in a completely different direction than the book did while stripping out what made the book interesting and memorable and good. I say zombies as some sort of water-like super-fast tide is idiotic at best, plus it looks terrible.

The response? "Just be grateful we're getting anything at all."

I just do not loving get the attitude of expecting to pay for the privilege of eating mediocre poo poo and being happy just because it's 'something'.

They just don't want to admit they made a bad purchase. It's why pre-orders exist at all and why criticizing the presentation of a games' marketing is so viciously shut down by fans.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

One thing that really bugs me about this game is watching gameplay footage and seeing a xenomorph run past a whole bunch of Weyland Yutani PMCs and then past other colonial marines just to come and attack the player. It looks completely retarded, especially when the xenomorph is literally bumping up against them all and struggling to walk around them just to get to the player.

I mean, shouldn't the xenomorphs be attacking everyone?! It's a really obvious way to break immersion and it's weird to see a supposed AAA game with so much money pumped into it overlook such a basic concept of game design.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

MUFFlNS posted:

One thing that really bugs me about this game is watching gameplay footage and seeing a xenomorph run past a whole bunch of Weyland Yutani PMCs and then past other colonial marines just to come and attack the player. It looks completely retarded, especially when the xenomorph is literally bumping up against them all and struggling to walk around them just to get to the player.

I mean, shouldn't the xenomorphs be attacking everyone?! It's a really obvious way to break immersion and it's weird to see a supposed AAA game with so much money pumped into it overlook such a basic concept of game design.

Given the NPCs are invulnerable it'd probably be just as bad to have the Xenos attack them to no effect, especially since the NPC AI doesn't seem to be very bright.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

pixelbaron posted:

There is never going to be a good game developed for this franchise ever again is there

Some franchises are just cursed. Alien, Warhammer(40K), Star Wars and Star Trek...

They all have a good games in their catalog but for every one shining star there are five poo poo clouds blocking their rays.

EDIT: Just realized I quoted something from three pages back. I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
Fuckkkkkkk, this is so laughable. I can't believe I remember reading reading the developers talking about Dark Souls as an inspiration for the games difficulty.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
All you peeps saying that they can't make an original or engaging Aliens game in the survival horror genre- have you people not played System Shock? Penumbra/Amnesia? DayZ? Hell even just that original AVP game, anything that actually counts as survival horror? Sure, the marines have guns and crap in the films... but they distinctly had like 3 to 4 clips between like the 4 or 5 of them that were left alive after they lost all their poo poo- this game practically holds your hand and manages to be as linear as hell. It's distinctly hilarious that people leave piles of shotgun and pulse rifle rounds just about around every corner along with health kits and storytelling nick nacks. It also helps that the most deadly enemy is the human AI and even they're middling, line up for you to shoot them cleanly.

You wanna make a real Aliens game? Make ammo a scarce resource, make it to where facehuggers and alien close ups are pretty much a death sentence (this was done somewhat in the first AVP game with the facehuggers which is like loving old as hell now). Aliens should be deadly, the harshest thing in your environment- they should also be able to use your environment against you ( example being the scene in the film where the aliens come out of the ceiling AND the floor because everything in the colony was built much like a lego kit that could be taken apart). You should be loving scared to even walk on grating let alone out in the open. Combat could be a flight or fight situation where you have only a few rounds for your rifle and maybe a clip for that pistol and there's like thousands of those alien fuckers, no regenerating health or health kits. Make your teammates well defined while stressing that they are not invincible nor do they have to survive to continue playing the game. Give that welder some actual uses outside of scripted transitions between levels, same with the hacking tool. Make exploration and gathering of resources important (example: a few hallways down you know one of your marines went down, there's a chance he dropped his rifle and the ammo that came with it, do you make the journey down there for plausible gain or do you continue holding your position behind the barricades?)

What made Aliens a good film was the fact that the marines were in over their head and it is not that good Aliens games can't be made because they have- play the original AVP and see for yourself what survival horror looks like if they even try. The game I described above CAN be made with today's technology and can be enjoyable for large crowds (people are playing Dayz- the game that literally has permadeath where you have to start from scratch if you lose). This game might not ever BE made, but this is the game people thought they might get when they heard four or so years ago that a company was trying to make a Colonial Marines game that they stressed was going to be a gripping and immersive experience.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more

Kraustofski posted:

What made Aliens a good film was the fact that the marines were in over their head

That's not it at all. Hyper masculinity was unable to re-assert a patriachal model because the aliens had reached the logical conclusion of the marines and beat them at their own game, it took a woman (Ripley) aping machsimo to reassert the father-figure as familial authority and destroy the alternative matriachal ideal the aliens and their queen representated.
Thats what made aliens a good film. Any way to unlock this early on Origin?

Jokerfish
May 3, 2007

Bait Master

Ending is here, watch at your own considerable risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMLJ-JJBvn4

There are great games with endings like 30 seconds long, then there's this which is the opposite. Good lord this is as bad as people have been saying.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ugh good god this game is a huge disappointment. Cancelled my pre-order, installing classic AvP and gonna play through that instead.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I dig the Dead Space references, but the necromorphs weren't intelligent in Dead Space. In both the Thing and Alien, the antagonist(s) were just as smart as the protagonists at fighting, and they fought in a completely alien (heh, pun) way to the humans. It was awesome and festered paranoia. Aliens and the Thing aren't scary because they're lethal creatures trying to kill you, they're scary because you don't know how or when they'll try to kill you. I want an alien game with way less aliens, but way smarter aliens. The aliens charging straight at the player like Doom fodder outright ruins this game. No matter how beautiful the graphics, animations or sound, if the aliens don't act like aliens then it's pointless.

Create a building/ship area, make it much more accessible for the aliens, darken it, add some flashing red lights, let the player control a marine trying to survive in said area, boom, you're golden. Build a game around that. What I'm describing is pretty much Natural Selection 2 but with players instead of ai.

\/\/ Just watched the ending. Got a bunch of laughs out of it. None of the model's faces move except for their mouths. It's hilarious at the end when it's supposed to be a tense and dramatic situation but everyone is staring ahead blankly, their eyes can't even move. That's tech details we had last generation. Couple that with the horrible and awkward voice acting. The developers really do not give a gently caress about this game.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 9, 2013

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Jokerfish posted:

There are great games with endings like 30 seconds long, then there's this which is the opposite. Good lord this is as bad as people have been saying.

God drat, they completely ruined Hicks as a character. I mean he was originally as flat and one-dimensional as could be anyways, so for Gearbox to go and ruin him takes some serious skill. They should have left him dead.

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
A question for all your sharp goons - Mission 5 contains a bunch of "Husks" of aliens deep in Hadleys sewer system. Now, they seem to have the same art direction as that of the exploding aliens, what with being smothered in green toxic sacs, yet look decidedly sickly. I’m not sure if this'll be explained later as an issue caused by the fallout of the reactor or caused by WY testing, but in all my years of Aliens knowledge I’ve no idea what they could be.

Any ideas, chaps?

Also, side-question: what do Aliens eat?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caecitas posted:

A question for all your sharp goons - Mission 5 contains a bunch of "Husks" of aliens deep in Hadleys sewer system. Now, they seem to have the same art direction as that of the exploding aliens, what with being smothered in green toxic sacs, yet look decidedly sickly. I’m not sure if this'll be explained later as an issue caused by the fallout of the reactor or caused by WY testing, but in all my years of Aliens knowledge I’ve no idea what they could be.

Any ideas, chaps?

They eat seemingly anything. There's a deleted scene in Alien (the original) where they catch it breaking into the ship's food stores.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Caecitas posted:

Any ideas, chaps?

No, the game isn't out yet, why would we know?

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
Two reasons Hakkesshu -

One) a lot of people are already playing it

Two) perhaps something in Alien extended lore i missed?

It seems these Husks are indeed the exploding Alien type that leaves a husk after it explodes, but before death they share the same sickly off-white look of the husks. Ill Xenos? Also, cheers ImpAtom, I've not seen any extended cuts/extra scenes of the original. I recall claims by the community that they may simply not need to eat or gain enough dietary requirements on gestation that they can simply grow to fill size once they escape, but that was never backed by any source.

I guess with eating seen in the first movie however brings about all sorts of clashes between Scott’s and Cameron’s concepts of the creature - the famous cocoon scene from the cut of the first movie for example.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Jokerfish posted:

What the hell was that? Also did the game really just freeze up for a second right after he threw that switch? In fact, what was the point of that whole 'fight'? That's the last thing you do before the game ends? Jesus Christ, that was a train wreck.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Caecitas posted:

I could be wrong here, but if I remember correctly the Xenos are silicon based which would imply an ability to break down inorganic material with acid and absorb needed materiel for survival.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
At least we have Rise of the Triad coming out so there is one good first person shooter to be released in 2013.

This is just terrible. Ultimate bad rear end mode, and 14.99 DLC ahoy space sailors.

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?

Pseudophile posted:

I could be wrong here, but if I remember correctly the Xenos are silicon based which would imply an ability to break down inorganic material with acid and absorb needed materiel for survival.

Not a bad explanation. Cheers bud

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Caecitas posted:

As far as I know, there are only two instances of aliens eating in any of the four films, and one of those was not even filmed.

Alien: As mentioned by ImpAtom, the script for the film contained a scene where the alien breaks into their food storage and eats everything. This was never filmed though.

Alien 3: One of the prisoners stumbles upon the alien feasting on a dead prisoner near the end of the film. Well, it might not be eating him, but the scene heavily implies that it is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pseudophile posted:

Yeah the fan explanation for how it grew so fast in Alien is because it just pukes on any metallic stuff and slurps it up like a fly.

That ending, man. I never thought I'd say that this final battle and ending was better than one in another FPS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE5_N4ZoEEY

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 9, 2013

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

MUFFlNS posted:

Alien 3: One of the prisoners stumbles upon the alien feasting on a dead prisoner near the end of the film. Well, it might not be eating him, but the scene heavily implies that it is.
Eh, are you sure it wasn't rape? Can't remember which Alien movies I've seen aside from the first one, but I have a hard time believing ambiguous and freaky Giger sex wasn't involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Pseudophile posted:

I used to collect the Dark Horse comics as a kid and "what do aliens eat" was actually a letter to the editor. They replied that since aliens alternately kill some people and impregnate others, that they probably eat the people they kill as food. This is backed up by the fact that no bodies are found on LV-426 when the marines get there, even though some people invariably must have been directly killed in the final stand.

• Locked thread