Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

feedmegin posted:

I live in a house in London and have a back garden :smugdog:

Also I sleep in a big bed with my wife.

Whats it like being the 1%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Whats it like being the 1%?

P nice not gonna lie. I even have a big ol' ten pound bag of flour! And yeast!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Just rub it in our faces why don't ya?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Jose posted:

I live in Newcastle and it's quite pleasant

the cabin fever is worse than we feared

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

feedmegin posted:

Kill and eat this person along with his flour and yeast.

I'm lucky as our flat has a big patio balcony that I put like a beer garden table and benches on when we moved in, so it's not quite as claustrophobic.

I've lived all over the country though and I honestly wouldn't prefer to live anywhere else, apart from maybe Cardiff as that's where I'm from.

Most people from "the North" who hate on London basically spend no time there or think more than five people on the High Street is "too busy". I'm not friends with any racists though but I'm sure that's another reason lots of people hate London.

Say what you want though, Sharia law no go areas are really helping with the quarantine.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Us Northerners hate London because it's a tourist trap and a loving overcrowded shithole.

Obviously, like everywhere else in the UK there are nice parts but you couldn't pay me to live there.

Also beer is a lot cheaper up here :)

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
So apparently the Scottish Health Minister travelling to her second home is an incompetent who should be fired immediately but Boris Johnson travelling to his second home while actively infectious is a hero we should feel sympathy for.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The stereotype of the north of England being racist and parochial is as loving stupid as London being irredeemably poo poo. Leeds and Manchester are as multicultural and cosmopolitan as you could want. Of the many flavours of racism unfortunately all over the country a good chunk of it is firmly entrenched in the countryside home counties middle england daily mail brigade as it is in the grimmer post industrial northern towns.

London is a huge place and covers a vast array of living conditions and localities and lifestyles so generalising it like I used to do in the typical northern 'the south is poo poo' way is dumb as gently caress. However I wouldn't wanna live there unless I was on a decent wage and seeing the kind of hovels my friends have considered passable accommodation makes me feel sorry for anyone in the rental market. The main drawback is a result of the main positive, namely it's a huge place with loads of poo poo to do, but it also takes ages to get anywhere and if you wanna do that at rush hour then you have to learn to normalise the grinding punishment of a packed underground

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Catfishenfuego posted:

So apparently the Scottish Health Minister travelling to her second home is an incompetent who should be fired immediately but Boris Johnson travelling to his second home while actively infectious is a hero we should feel sympathy for.

Who's been expressing sympathy for him?

The only thoughts of admiration I have for him is that he apparently spent 24 hours in the company of a female nurse and didn't dump his pregnant girlfriend and try to sleep with her.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Not in this thread but the media and tory bootlickers across the country are fawning over his 'bravery'.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Shut up Meg posted:

Who's been expressing sympathy for him?

The only thoughts of admiration I have for him is that he apparently spent 24 hours in the company of a female nurse and didn't dump his pregnant girlfriend and try to sleep with her.

There are numerous articles gushing over the pm being in recovery at his mansion(a long way away from his current abode). I think thats what they mean, It's pretty loving tone deaf.
It certainly seems like one rule for us and another for them.

Dont worry about the pm and his crew loving everything up, the real threat is the sun bathers.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Catfishenfuego posted:

Not in this thread but the media and tory bootlickers across the country are fawning over his 'bravery'.

numptyboy posted:

There are numerous articles gushing over the pm being in recovery at his mansion(a long way away from his current abode). I think thats what they mean, It's pretty loving tone deaf.
It certainly seems like one rule for us and another for them.

Ah, I getcha.

I made a conscious effort to cut the lovely media out of my life and it has made me much happier as a result. I haven't read a single mailonline article or opened a printed newspaper for at least 2 years and it has improved my outlook on life no end.

I thoroughly recommend it.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I've seen a lot of shite around about how the experience will have changed Boris, given him a new perspective, make him more prime ministerial yadda yadda. It keeps making me think of this bit from In Bruges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7BWvD5B5Y

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Voting Floater posted:

I've seen a lot of shite around about how the experience will have changed Boris, given him a new perspective, make him more prime ministerial yadda yadda. It keeps making me think of this bit from In Bruges.

when emperor justinian caught the plague it was said it made him more cruel and reclusive

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Voting Floater posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7BWvD5B5Y

Those people are making the mistake of viewing Boris as a human being capable of remorse, empathy or shame. A rookie mistake!

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

Us Northerners hate London because it's a tourist trap and a loving overcrowded shithole.

Obviously, like everywhere else in the UK there are nice parts but you couldn't pay me to live there.

Also beer is a lot cheaper up here :)

I'm from Leeds, lived in London 20 years and love it. Not that I get home that often these days but there's folk I'll bump into who tell me everytime 'urhhh can't do with that London, it's far too busy/full of wankers'. And everytime I ask what they did down here it's always 'Covent Garden, Wembley sports event on a coach', or 'I've never been, so-and-so says it was though'. YMMV etc.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Goldskull posted:

I'm from Leeds, lived in London 20 years and love it. Not that I get home that often these days but there's folk I'll bump into who tell me everytime 'urhhh can't do with that London, it's far too busy/full of wankers'. And everytime I ask what they did down here it's always 'Covent Garden, Wembley sports event on a coach', or 'I've never been, so-and-so says it was though'. YMMV etc.

Yeah, when out of towners think about London theyre always thinking of, like, the West End or the Tower of London at peak tourism times when of course it's rammed. Never, like, Barking high street on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh I worked in a west end club in my youth, nothing glamorous cleaning glasses in the back, but it did mean I got to walk though the centre of London to this affordable flat about 20 of us were squatting in in St. James’s park at 5am on Sunday mornings.
Glorious, absolutely amazing, what was also cool was walking to galleries mid-week in winter as they were opening up so you got the whole place to yourself.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Goldskull posted:

I live in Yorkshire (not dirty Leeds though) and the last time I went to London I was charged not far short of £40 for 2 coffees, 2 cokes and 4 tiny cakes in a cafe. And they added a 10% ‘service’ charge to the bill. That was about 10 years ago and I’ve stuck to the North since then :v:

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Local knowledge goes a long way, and not just in London. Was about the same last time my parents were down for sandwiches/coffee in the Wallace collection, and pretty much the same price at some stately home north of York. Centre of Leeds beer prices aren't far off middle of West Ends either, although you can walk 5 minutes away fro that and get a 'reasonably priced' pint in both places. That's my story. No moral. : )

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

feedmegin posted:

Yeah, when out of towners think about London theyre always thinking of, like, the West End or the Tower of London at peak tourism times when of course it's rammed. Never, like, Barking high street on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

And a rainy barking High Street offers so much more than other cities in the UK because...?

There’s lots going on in London proper, but most of the people who “live in London” are just in a place vaguely commutable to a job there, have a poo poo commute every day, and aren’t out every night taking advantage of the culture / events.

As you say, all the tourist attractions are ruined by swarms of tourists, and you’d never go to them.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I did not enjoy living in London but what I enjoy even less is Londoners who move North and then complain that things aren't exactly like they were in London.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I didn’t learn to drive because in my misspent youth I lived in London and oh ho ho silly me I thought I would be able to stay there forever, so I reserve the right to bitch and moan about the massive inequality in public transport in the north.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
All this arguing about accessibility to culture events is going to look pretty silly when live music is banned and all theatre is streamed between now and 2047, when the Thames finally swallows the place.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

learnincurve posted:

I didn’t learn to drive because in my misspent youth I lived in London and oh ho ho silly me I thought I would be able to stay there forever, so I reserve the right to bitch and moan about the massive inequality in public transport in the north.

Same, but not London, just somewhere else with good public transport

Im in my 30s and one of my younger friends is constantly making fun of me for never learning. She lives out in the sticks so it was nessecary but I never needed it!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Shame it's literally impossible to learn to drive if you never did it when younger!

(Ignoring the fact it is actually impossible right now)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Disco Pope posted:

All this arguing about accessibility to culture events is going to look pretty silly when live music is banned and all theatre is streamed between now and 2047, when the Thames finally swallows the place.

Just lol if you think we won’t spend a massively disproportionate amount of money making sure this doesn’t happen.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

Shame it's literally impossible to learn to drive if you never did it when younger!

(Ignoring the fact it is actually impossible right now)

its easier when you're younger because you tend to have more disposable income

Sure I could afford lessons, but a car/insurance/maintenance etc... not so much

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
Are you guys really only going out for an hour a day? If you're really struggling with that, just go out for longer, who is timing you?

maybe I'm a little too accustomed to disregarding laws, but, like, walk to a bit of woodland and make a little kotch spot. Find an excuse to go near somewhere secluded, then go to the secluded place, and enjoy as much time as you like outside.
For you Londoners in horrible basement flats, sorry that you live in London, my condolences.

I've been having to drive from Liverpool to the midlands every couple of days to look after someone's dog and do some other errands, and I've not had any issues, main roads, the center of towns before late night, and motorways, all fairly busy, and you're not likely to be challenged by the police if you look at least halfway presentable / not visibly a family on holiday.

yes, staying inside is better than going out, and in more built-up or policed areas, it might not be advisable to try and bend the rules, as you might get exposed to someone sick, or fined 25 quid.

But if you're going a bit mad at home, I'm sure you can figure out /somewhere/ you could spend more time outside.

Realistically you could walk around town all day and no one is really going to notice if you don't revisit streets.

I decided to not smoke weed today, after 13 years of smoking 10+ zoots a day. its been 24 hours now though, so guess I broke the streak. Going to take a break and let my lungs heal up.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Jesus gently caress that's a big weed habit

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Go for a run and see what you hack up

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Also I hope your break to let your lungs heal up is the rest of your life

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Oh hi fellow Mersey Goon.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

You are welcome.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also I hope your break to let your lungs heal up is the rest of your life

Probably not, but I'm going to try to cut tobacco out for the rest of my life and learn to tolerate pipes and vapes. Ideally, I wouldn't want to smoke anything, I know any smoke is bad for the lungs.

But until they invent a vape that is better than a spliff, I'm afraid I'll have to occasionally treat myself.

Yeah, a very big weed habit. cut down a lot recently, but i was smoking 7-14g a day for a few years at my peak, and I've been smoking daily as many spliffs as I could since I was 16.

Not really had any problems from it. I stopped because I've started to have some heart issues, and smoking has begun, at last, to give me anxiety. My lungs work okay and my mental health is pretty intact, aside from the depression and anxiety I've had all my life, which weed generally did seem to help with until recently.

Solefald posted:

Oh hi fellow Mersey Goon.

'Ello

meme fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 15, 2020

redback3
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah well, I was supposed to, but then Arne came and put my head into some porridge.
I really hope they don't pull some bullshit like banning exercise outside as well. I think I will legit lose my mind if I can't get a daily workout in the now sunny weather.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

redback3 posted:

I really hope they don't pull some bullshit like banning exercise outside as well. I think I will legit lose my mind if I can't get a daily workout in the now sunny weather.

Aren't they cautiously saying that the current regime appears to be having the right effect?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lol theres thousands of workout videos on youtube if you actually want exercise, just stay inside

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

Moola posted:

lol theres thousands of workout videos on youtube if you actually want exercise, just stay inside

A lot of people live in places that are more rural or less dense, and it really isn't risky to go outside. You aren't going to catch the rona in an empty field or in a forest clearing. Obviously, this varies widely depending on where you live, and what kind of place you live in. Don't take risks, but if you think you can do something safely, and you're not stupid, then just do it instead of losing your mind indoors because you think anyone gives a poo poo or notices what you're up to. They really don't in most situations unless you give them a reason to.

If you live in a really built-up area, or a block of flats where you might bump into a lot of people leaving your home, then sure, maybe just stay inside. Willing to bet, though, that there are a lot of people having a worse time than they need to, who do not live in especially built-up areas because they feel that the limit of an hour on going out for exercise is there for any reason other than to encourage fewer people to be out at a given time. Your chance of becoming infected will not increase no matter how long you spend out of the house if you don't come into contact / go near other people, or touch poo poo they touched. The police are patrolling /some/ parks and parking up near /some/ beauty spots. There weren't enough police to respond to all 999 calls before this poo poo, there certainly aren't enough now to make sure everyone that's out is either a key worker or getting their hour of exercise. Again- who is timing you? Easy enough to come up with an excuse if challenged. the worst-case scenario is a 25 quid fine unless you really take the piss.

I don't necessarily want to advocate for disregarding the lockdown, just saying, the rules exist to protect you and others from infection. Only you can decide if you want to take a calculated risk for your leisure time, and you should calculate carefully that level of risk. There is a reason that the official advice says it's okay to go out exercising, but the gyms are closed. The problem isn't going outside, it's people, their sneezes, coughs and the things they have touched.

I think we've all been to the shops a few times though since this began, and the lack of distance people keep in there, and the lack of PPE seems like a far riskier prospect than finding a nice outdoor area to hang around in to stave off cabin fever. I wouldn't go Tesco at all if I didn't have a good mask, but I'll happily sit off in the woods for a few hours on my own with no need for protection. I'm very careful to wear an fffp3 mask when I'm around people, I wipe my shopping down with dettol, soak my cash in isopropyl alcohol, carry hand sanitiser and wash my hands religiously. But I do go out for a few hours most days, usually just because I have something I need to do, but sometimes just to sit in the trees and gently caress around on youtube or read a book or make some music until my laptop dies.

It obviously depends on where you live and what's around you. This is just my perspective on it. Not everybody lives close to decent parks or woods, and for those of you stuck inside, my heart goes out to you, that sucks.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Torquemada posted:

Just lol if you think we won’t spend a massively disproportionate amount of money making sure this doesn’t happen.

Yeah that’s an actual thing

https://www.eventindustrynews.com/n...emmBHlN7o7RkXPY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Yeah I work in this industry and this has been absolutely apocalyptic. Everything was cancelled by the start of March and the news was dribbled out from then on. A few things have rescheduled to October but everyone knows they aren’t happening.

My entire year was 60k+ people arena shows and large scale corporate. There is a danger that the corporate event market is dead permanently. The way companies look at sending people from 20+ countries to mingle in breakout rooms and watch PowerPoint is likely to change forever.

The events industry has a long tail and when people do want to start up again all the suppliers are going to be dead unless they’re SSE or PRG.