Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
Good god, I don't want another Breaking Bad. Why the hell even attempt to top that or match it? This show is itself, its got its own groove and I love that it's not like BB. It's classy, well-written, funny, complex, and has some emotional tragedy. It's not meant to be as tragic or as dark as Breaking Bad, and that's okay. Let go, people. It's time to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Next people will be asking when they're going to place some sort of wire on the salamancas phones

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Next people will be asking when they're going to place some sort of wire on the salamancas phones

Or put a GPS tracking device under cars.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Honestly I just wish people would throw away or destroy phones more often.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MadSparkle posted:

Or put a GPS tracking device under cars.

Or make a new season with none of the old characters set to the docks

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, weird... weren't we all certain that BCS was guaranteed for another 2 seasons? I ask because it was JUST renewed for season 3.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/better-call-saul-renewed-for-third-season-20160315

Whoever was talking about BCS being guaranteed 4 seasons, I did a bunch of googling and couldn't find anything whatsoever about that so it looks like that may not be real.

I'm glad we are at least getting a 3rd, but I hope this show goes on at least as long as BB. Although I can kind of seeing it become a weekly serial show ala House MD once Jimmy becomes Saul Goodman Esq. He deals with bad guy of the week and gets him off in court in a way no other lawyer can. And he has a massive Xanax habit.

Bleh Maestro fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 16, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

For 15 episodes now, the writers have been gently tickling the audience's balls with Mike/Nacho/Tuco (and now Hector) stuff, and you're surprised people kinda want them to maybe start working the shaft a little bit?
This is poetry. :allears:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious how they're going to retcon Mike and Saul's relationship. In BB they just magic'd Mike's character out of the air, it was actually supposed to be Saul going over to Jesse's house after Jane died, but Odenkirk had a conflict or something so he wasn't available. I'm assuming Mike's newfound legal troubles will be another big bonding moment between the two of them. I'm assuming this is actually going to trial and he'll have to testify about 'his' gun, could we see Jimmy in an actual courtroom for the first time in forever?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm curious how they're going to retcon Mike and Saul's relationship. In BB they just magic'd Mike's character out of the air, it was actually supposed to be Saul going over to Jesse's house after Jane died, but Odenkirk had a conflict or something so he wasn't available. I'm assuming Mike's newfound legal troubles will be another big bonding moment between the two of them. I'm assuming this is actually going to trial and he'll have to testify about 'his' gun, could we see Jimmy in an actual courtroom for the first time in forever?

Wait, what would they have to retcon? There's nothing to contradict or rewrite, is there?

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

savinhill posted:

I'm not a subscriber to the college fund theory or anything that specific, but just cuz Chuck says his dad asked him to look at the books to help out, it doesn't mean things happened that way. Chuck's a weird control freak that seems to love reading through reams of old paperwork and forms that most other people would dread, I could easily see him helping himself to his dad's books, receipts, etc, as easily as he accuses Jimmy of helping himself to cash from the till.

I'm not even sure Chuck says that Dad actually asked him to look. But in any case, it's easy to see Chuck helping himself if he can. But I picture the books locked away in a desk drawer or safe, so Dad has to agree to give him access, or it's a nonstarter. The wrinkle there is that if Dad wants to say no, it looks suspicious. Why would he refuse? So he needs a cover story, which he might have to come up with on the spot because he probably wouldn't have anticipated needing one.

But now, it's starting to look like an episode of Three's Company.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Unzip and Attack posted:

I think Chuck's character has been created in a way that this interpretation is possible. That's what makes the dynamic fun to watch (for me). I tend to think that Chuck honestly believes he's doing Kim a favor by telling the story. Look at the situation- Kim has been severely burned by Jimmy's slipping act. It's not like Chuck goes around telling that story to anyone who likes Jimmy just to screw him over.

The situation's a lot more complex (and I didn't notice it until I heard Rhea talk on the podcast; she sounds like a deep, deep thinker on her roles.)

Chuck starts the scene by making Kim get him a coffee.
Then, seeing he blundered, he explains his disability, then asks her to make her own cup too.
Her question is "Do I have a future with this company?"
That's an employee question for someone who's been with the firm at least a decade.

In response, Chuck tells her a story about how her boyfriend murdered their dad with greedy carelessness.

I'd say Jimmy's brother is UNDERSTANDABLE, but he's not the part of oneself anyone wants to recognize.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

The situation's a lot more complex (and I didn't notice it until I heard Rhea talk on the podcast; she sounds like a deep, deep thinker on her roles.)

Chuck starts the scene by making Kim get him a coffee.
Then, seeing he blundered, he explains his disability, then asks her to make her own cup too.
Her question is "Do I have a future with this company?"
That's an employee question for someone who's been with the firm at least a decade.

In response, Chuck tells her a story about how her boyfriend murdered their dad with greedy carelessness.

I'd say Jimmy's brother is UNDERSTANDABLE, but he's not the part of oneself anyone wants to recognize.

The thing that pissed me off the most about that scene is that Kim never got a direct answer. I'm just so angry about it - she's systematically being squeezed in this sibling rivalry crap and her own career is on the line, Chuck knows it, sees it, and simply drags the poo poo out of the conversation and makes it about Jimmy (and him). It just feels like some kind of indirect way of saying, It's too late for you since you hosed up and got involved with my brother. I did too but I'm a partner, too bad about your career, hey about another cup of piping hot coffee with soy milk? I think they have soy milk in the fridge.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

MadSparkle posted:

The thing that pissed me off the most about that scene is that Kim never got a direct answer. I'm just so angry about it - she's systematically being squeezed in this sibling rivalry crap and her own career is on the line, Chuck knows it, sees it, and simply drags the poo poo out of the conversation and makes it about Jimmy (and him). It just feels like some kind of indirect way of saying, It's too late for you since you hosed up and got involved with my brother. I did too but I'm a partner, too bad about your career, hey about another cup of piping hot coffee with soy milk? I think they have soy milk in the fridge.

That expression on her face at the end of the scene: "Jesus loving Christ on a skateboard. How the bloody gently caress did I ever get mixed up with such a bunch of vile, repugnant assholes?" I'm betting she went home and started updating her resume.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

how do you think kim is gonna die

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

A MIRACLE posted:

how do you think kim is gonna die

Ricin, duh.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Or make a new season with none of the old characters set to the docks

I'm way down in a hole, but I appreciate your posts :golfclap:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

No way because the camera angle didn't focus on it.

Seriously I liked how that scene played out and Kim's question not getting answered. But in a way, it probably does answer it in that as long as Jimmy is out there ruining everyone's reputation, she's constantly going to get poo poo on her. Even if he isn't actively ruining it, Chuck is still going to take out his frustrations on her even if Hamlin eventually lightens up.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MadSparkle posted:

Good god, I don't want another Breaking Bad. Why the hell even attempt to top that or match it? This show is itself, its got its own groove and I love that it's not like BB. It's classy, well-written, funny, complex, and has some emotional tragedy. It's not meant to be as tragic or as dark as Breaking Bad, and that's okay. Let go, people. It's time to move on.

The show works as both being in the same universe, and being it's own thing. I'm very happy with that; I was scared they were going to TRY to make another Breaking Bad and murder themselves in bad spin-off land. Instead they really made it something that absolutely stands on it's own, and the connection with the parent series adds things, not removes them.

I do envy some of the people who never saw Breaking Bad that will one day see Saul -> Breaking Bad because I bet it flows really well. Hell I'll probably rewatch them like that when Saul is concluded.

I guess it's like ice cream: Two flavors that are their own thing but blend well.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The thing with the cartel stories in Breaking Bad is that they were kind of a secondary plot. Walt rarely knew what was going on in Mexico, and never met many of the key players. So I kind of like the idea that while both shows have their own main story and protagonist, they'll both also have bits and pieces of this third story about the cartels.

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm assuming Mike's newfound legal troubles will be another big bonding moment between the two of them. I'm assuming this is actually going to trial and he'll have to testify about 'his' gun, could we see Jimmy in an actual courtroom for the first time in forever?

Mike and Jimmy won't need to bond that much. In fact, they probably shouldn't, since in Breaking Bad season 3, Mike threatens Saul for info on Jesse and doesn't seem to lose any sleep over it. That wouldn't work quite right if they became best buds on this show. Having their relationship remain one of professional convenience works much better.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 17, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"It's Chuck, how are you feeling? Kind of under the weather? Like you're allergic to electricity? That would be the secret microchip I gave you. I slipped it into that crappy cell phone that you're always using in the stairwell."
"Oh my god."
"Well, goodbye Kim."

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

For 15 episodes now, the writers have been gently tickling the audience's balls with Mike/Nacho/Tuco (and now Hector) stuff, and you're surprised people kinda want them to maybe start working the shaft a little bit?

Despite this thread, the majority of the people watching this show do kinda want it to be more like Breaking Bad, HTH.

The show named Better Call Saul is about Saul. HTH

TheBizzness fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 17, 2016

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Kim's question WAS answered. Chuck said he would talk to Hamlin about getting her out of the dungeon and that she was being "wasted." It seemed like his way of saying "yes, I think you have a future here."

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

The thing with the cartel stories in Breaking Bad is that they were kind of a secondary plot. Walt rarely knew what was going on in Mexico, and never met many of the key players. So I kind of like the idea that while both shows have their own main story and protagonist, they'll both also have bits and pieces of this third story about the cartels.

Yeah, I think that's a good way to put it, and I like the idea of it a lot. The cartel story is the best candidate to bridge the two shows for a variety of reasons, so I think it's a good call they're making by doing it that way. I mean, there's a lot more to say about the cartel-involved characters than there is about Walt or Jesse. Using this as an opportunity to delve deeper into the Salamancas and possibly Gus makes the most sense as far as ties to Breaking Bad are concerned.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

Mike and Jimmy won't need to bond that much. In fact, they probably shouldn't, since in Breaking Bad season 3, Mike threatens Saul for info on Jesse and doesn't seem to lose any sleep over it. That wouldn't work quite right if they became best buds on this show. Having their relationship remain one of professional convenience works much better.

I meant more that they'd just get some more screen time together and get a bit deeper into their respective underworlds, I know they don't actually become friends at any point.

Steve2911 posted:

Wait, what would they have to retcon? There's nothing to contradict or rewrite, is there?

It isn't clear in BB but it doesn't seem like they know each other that well beforehand. Although after Mike threatens Saul for Jesse's location in S3 Saul calls him his 'guy' to Walt. It's also implied that he uses Mike to track down Walt at his school right after they meet. Maybe they just keep things strictly professional, I don't guess that would conflict with anything we're seeing now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why couldn't they know each other? Jesse has the dead Jane situation to deal with and Saul immediately sends Mike over. I'm sure Mike does his thing on his own to get involved with Gus. Saul asks Mike if he knows anyone who might want the meth and Mike happens to know Gus.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Kim's question WAS answered. Chuck said he would talk to Hamlin about getting her out of the dungeon and that she was being "wasted." It seemed like his way of saying "yes, I think you have a future here."

He might have straight-up meant it, but I just took it as Chuck saying the bare minimum he could say in direct response, hoping it would satisfy her for the time being. A few minutes earlier, we saw him ask Hamlin if Kim was out of the doghouse, and Hamlin just said, "We'll see." Well, there was an opportunity for Chuck to speak up on her behalf if he was really feeling it. Even a halfhearted "Well, gosh, don't you...uh...maybe...think she's redeemed herself?" would have been something. But no. He lets it drop and starts commenting on the documents he's looking at.

I don't think he bears any personal ill will toward her, but I don't think he's inclined to spend much energy trying to help her—especially since he undoubtedly understands that this is putting a strain on things between her and Jimmy.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

It isn't clear in BB but it doesn't seem like they know each other that well beforehand. Although after Mike threatens Saul for Jesse's location in S3 Saul calls him his 'guy' to Walt. It's also implied that he uses Mike to track down Walt at his school right after they meet. Maybe they just keep things strictly professional, I don't guess that would conflict with anything we're seeing now.

He doesn't just call him his guy, he actually seems surprised he'd threaten to break his legs. For that to be surprising in their line of work, you'd think he knows Mike pretty well.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Beeez posted:

Yeah, I think that's a good way to put it, and I like the idea of it a lot. The cartel story is the best candidate to bridge the two shows for a variety of reasons, so I think it's a good call they're making by doing it that way. I mean, there's a lot more to say about the cartel-involved characters than there is about Walt or Jesse. Using this as an opportunity to delve deeper into the Salamancas and possibly Gus makes the most sense as far as ties to Breaking Bad are concerned.

Gus's story is pretty complete (betrayed gay chemist becomes crime boss gets blown up). And it's not like Giarncarlo isn't getting cast all over the place. But I'm sure if they wrote it they could get him back, but they explained enough backstory for a full, full character.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Gus's story is pretty complete (betrayed gay chemist becomes crime boss gets blown up). And it's not like Giarncarlo isn't getting cast all over the place. But I'm sure if they wrote it they could get him back, but they explained enough backstory for a full, full character.

I'm not talking about backstory so much as seeing him in different contexts than we saw him in Breaking Bad.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Which basically means no answer (at best) and probably assuming worst case scenario. We're talking about Chuck here. Talking to Howard is a throwaway statement, as we've seen.

Secret Agent X23 posted:

He might have straight-up meant it, but I just took it as Chuck saying the bare minimum he could say in direct response, hoping it would satisfy her for the time being. A few minutes earlier, we saw him ask Hamlin if Kim was out of the doghouse, and Hamlin just said, "We'll see." Well, there was an opportunity for Chuck to speak up on her behalf if he was really feeling it. Even a halfhearted "Well, gosh, don't you...uh...maybe...think she's redeemed herself?" would have been something. But no. He lets it drop and starts commenting on the documents he's looking at.

I don't think he bears any personal ill will toward her, but I don't think he's inclined to spend much energy trying to help her—especially since he undoubtedly understands that this is putting a strain on things between her and Jimmy.

Exactly.

And we've also seen what happens when Chuck says he'll 'talk to Howard' about something. It's consistently been like code for I'll kill you. I'll kill your wife, your son. I'll kill your infant daughter.

No, seriously though. It's been consistently established what happens when Chuck says he'll be talking to Howard... it's like some code work for 'I'll make sure to manipulate this situation and make it even more complicated and bugfuck than it needs to be'.

MadSparkle fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 17, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Beeez posted:

I'm not talking about backstory so much as seeing him in different contexts than we saw him in Breaking Bad.

They should only show him in his capacity as the owner/operator of Los Pollos Hermanos.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

TheBizzness posted:

The show named Better Call Saul is about Saul. HTH

I wish it was about Saul. It's about Jimmy.

The scene where Jimmy transformed into Saul for a scene defending that nerd was great. That was such a tease.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

They should only show him in his capacity as the owner/operator of Los Pollos Hermanos.

Yes!

Lingering establishing shot of a Pollos Hermanos restaurant with the black volvo parked out front, Mike goes in, orders chicken, sits down, and starts eating, there's a brief glimpse of Gus explaining to some harried fastfood drone in a visor and apron about the importance of cleaning the fryer before the scene turns out to be about something else altogether.

It won't happen like that, but it would be hilarious.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I more meant seeing him from Mike's perspective. But I enjoy this idea too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

He doesn't just call him his guy, he actually seems surprised he'd threaten to break his legs. For that to be surprising in their line of work, you'd think he knows Mike pretty well.

The way I read that was because he was paying him as his PI and was kind of like an employee. There's only so much of this we can take as reference though since, even though this is a prequel, all this material literally didn't exist in the writers' minds when BB was airing. They probably just maintain the professional acquaintances thing they've got now for the rest of the show, it's not like they don't have their own stories that stand on their own anyway.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
We just know that Mike was far more loyal to Gus than Saul. Gus was his primary employer and Mike ended up pretty much running things for him as 2nd in command except for the biggest decisions like dealing with the cartel. Saul and Mike work more on an as needed basis.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I would love a limited webseries of G Esposito being called over to a table and forcefully telling people to check the website.

The cashier would be his niece, Cameron Esposito.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

The way I read that was because he was paying him as his PI and was kind of like an employee. There's only so much of this we can take as reference though since, even though this is a prequel, all this material literally didn't exist in the writers' minds when BB was airing. They probably just maintain the professional acquaintances thing they've got now for the rest of the show, it's not like they don't have their own stories that stand on their own anyway.

I didn't mean to say I think they're best buddies or anything, just that what little we have to go on about their relationship in Breaking Bad didn't necessarily imply they barely knew each other. Mainly I'm just saying that nothing in Breaking Bad precluded them from knowing each other this far back.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Some pairings are more likely not to happen due to continuity such as Jessie or Badger, Skinny Pete, and Combo and Mike. Or really Walt with anyone at this point. But I think most of the characters in Breaking Bad can easily have interaction with James/Saul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Maybe it's too early for Gus, but I'd love it if he showed up, noticed Mike's worth (somehow, I don't know) and helped him with his Salamanca problem.

• Locked thread