Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

WarpDogs posted:

yeah, but even in that context it's especially bad in PoE1

Perhaps. I'd say Aloth/Eder/Kana have good reasons to follow you. Durance has a vision which is a bit of a stretch I guess but you can go with it if you want. Pallegina/Hiravias/Maneha/Zahua could probably do their poo poo on their own without following you. Grieving Mother is a weirdo and could do whatever for whatever reason. Devil just sees you as a convenient excuse to get away from Galvino.

I do agree there's more reason for companions to follow you in Deadfire when you're well established as a person of importance.

Raygereio posted:

KotOR2 makes a lot more sense if you keep in mind that it was mostly Chris Avellone (he wrote all the companions except Mandalore & Bao-Dur). And he did not like Star Wars.

I read that he did a lot of research on Star Wars in order to write Kotor and because he wanted to be faithful to the setting. Whether or not he liked it or not I dunno but I don't feel like Kotor2 doesn't fit. Someone like Kreia seems like a natural reaction to the dogmatic views of the Sith/Jedi. I think she's probably his finest character other than Durance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

KOTOR 2 is an outrageously better game then DA2 with the restored content mod installed but DA2's Friendship/Rivalry system is much better even if some of the characters are absolutely awful dogshit. Which is fine because I can tell Aveline she's an awful piece of poo poo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

RevolverDivider posted:

KOTOR 2 is an outrageously better game then DA2 with the restored content mod installed but DA2's Friendship/Rivalry system is much better even if some of the characters are absolutely awful dogshit. Which is fine because I can tell Aveline she's an awful piece of poo poo

You can do this in kotor 2 within missing anything. Except maybe for atton. Dudes so eager to follow the exile you'd probably have to route around all his "the exile breathed. Influence gained: Atton" moments

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

You can do this in kotor 2 within missing anything. Except maybe for atton. Dudes so eager to follow the exile you'd probably have to route around all his "the exile breathed. Influence gained: Atton" moments

If you follow Kreia's teachings you will def lose Influence with Atton. This is what I did in my one and only run. Dude does not like being [Force Persuasion['ed.

Speaking of Kreia, she doesn't much like it if you disagree with her "me first" philosophy. I think she's a great character but people who say she only disapproves of bad arguments are fooling themselves. When someone tells you "your friends exist just to be used" and you say "but I like people..." and she disapproves, that isn't blind idealism. Whatever virtues she has, she is 100% at the end of the day a misanthrope and doesn't really like to be told to teh contrary.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Right but to do that you have to know and plan around where those opportunities are, while also knowing where all the events where he always gains influence are so he can avoid being in the party for those. To turn him into an opposing faction jedi and keep him there takes a lot of forethought/knowledge that isn't as required for other party members

(Except poor, forgotten Bao and his complete lack of influence triggers)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
*leans in really close to the kjeyboard* Star SNORES

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Right but to do that you have to know and plan around where those opportunities are, while also knowing where all the events where he always gains influence are so he can avoid being in the party for those. To turn him into an opposing faction jedi and keep him there takes a lot of forethought/knowledge that isn't as required for other party members

(Except poor, forgotten Bao and his complete lack of influence triggers)

Getting enough influence for HK47 is also a nightmare.

Even with the jokes about dumping presents on party members in DA:O to rank up their trust/affection/loyalty it's still a better system then needing a bunch of open world interactions, unless you have such a surplus of options you won't get locked out unless you never run with that character.

Kotor 2 also, I believe, had a pretty noticeable shortage of lightsabers, since the main plot required you to re-craft your original, while in 1 they were common enough every Jedi could be dual wielding if you wanted.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

pentyne posted:

Even with the jokes about dumping presents on party members in DA:O to rank up their trust/affection/loyalty it's still a better system then needing a bunch of open world interactions, unless you have such a surplus of options you won't get locked out unless you never run with that character.

Kotor 2 also, I believe, had a pretty noticeable shortage of lightsabers, since the main plot required you to re-craft your original, while in 1 they were common enough every Jedi could be dual wielding if you wanted.

It also just doesn't tell you that you can annoy your party members into revealing their life story and letting you jedi/sith them. I found out about that one nearly a decade later from an lp.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

If you follow Kreia's teachings you will def lose Influence with Atton. This is what I did in my one and only run. Dude does not like being [Force Persuasion['ed.

Speaking of Kreia, she doesn't much like it if you disagree with her "me first" philosophy. I think she's a great character but people who say she only disapproves of bad arguments are fooling themselves. When someone tells you "your friends exist just to be used" and you say "but I like people..." and she disapproves, that isn't blind idealism. Whatever virtues she has, she is 100% at the end of the day a misanthrope and doesn't really like to be told to teh contrary.

There's a read of KOTOR which may or may not be intended that everything you hear from Kreia is really just her attempts to externalise away her own colossal failings as a teacher.

Oh and of course, she's the villian which people seem to forget should give some indication as to what the game thinks of her.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

I kinda like Lightsabers being scarce since when you get one you feel like a big badass for all the effort involved.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Kreia was awesome and had some really interesting things to say about the force, and as a 16yo who had only ever watched the movies it really blew my mind.

But whenever I replay KOTOR2, I wish for a version of Kreia where her villainous traits were sanded down a bit more aggressively. Avellone's goal was to write a sympathetic Sith Lord, and I think that comes across a little too literally - I want her to be a lot less sith-y. You could have created meaningful conflict without making Kreia a spiteful, cynical misanthrope, as it clashes with everything else she has going on

and maybe that was the point of Kreia, but if so I'd argue they tried to do too much with her. Simply wanting to explosively upend the status quo (of which you are inescapably tied to) and serving as both your teacher and maternal figure would have been enough to create a tragic, inevitable confrontation

I compare her a lot to Solas, as they serve similar roles in the story. Solas would have been much less likable or interesting if he had been written more like Kreia or Morrigan

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The weird part of lightsabers in KOTOR2 is that the second you do build your own they just become part of the standard rotation of gear drops in every loot table. Suddenly random thugs on nar shaddaa have them just sitting around in their boxes.

They're limited for about 2 planets (1 if you know where to get the parts) qnd then suddenly ate everywhere and you end the game with 200.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
People give KOTOR2 props for turning KOTOR1's happy little family on its head but to Bioware's credits they did include a little bit of conflict. The party has a lot of random asides that are mostly arguing (almost everyone hates Canderous, as you'd expect) but KOTOR1 is held together with duct tape so you might see like...two of these conversations in an entire playthrough

Kinda funny DAI would have a similar party banter bug all those years laters

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

WarpDogs posted:

Kreia was awesome and had some really interesting things to say about the force, and as a 16yo who had only ever watched the movies it really blew my mind.

But whenever I replay KOTOR2, I wish for a version of Kreia where her villainous traits were sanded down a bit more aggressively. Avellone's goal was to write a sympathetic Sith Lord, and I think that comes across a little too literally - I want her to be a lot less sith-y. You could have created meaningful conflict without making Kreia a spiteful, cynical misanthrope, as it clashes with everything else she has going on

and maybe that was the point of Kreia, but if so I'd argue they tried to do too much with her. Simply wanting to explosively upend the status quo (of which you are inescapably tied to) and serving as both your teacher and maternal figure would have been enough to create a tragic, inevitable confrontation

I compare her a lot to Solas, as they serve similar roles in the story. Solas would have been much less likable or interesting if he had been written more like Kreia or Morrigan

Yeah Solas does have his rear end in a top hat moments even pre reveal but generally comes across as more sympathetic than Keria does.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

WarpDogs posted:

Yeah, the fact she's such a spiteful jerk at heart kind of undercuts the whole "wise teacher" thing really; if she's so wrong about such basic things as "catch more flies with honey than vinegar" or "don't constantly antagonize the people YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON", it's hard to give her much credit for wisdom. When she talks to the PC about "I don't have your gift to get people to follow you" I was like "yeah, that's an issue with being an rear end in a top hat!". She does wind up being an interesting character and she certainly has some good points (I think she was where I remember hearing "The Sith are defined by their hatred of the Jedi", which I've always taken to heart because it explains so much of what they do), but I always was dubious of all the fanboys who kept raving she was right about everything.

quote:

Yeah, Solas is a MUCH more interesting character; he certainly does "sincere ally to opponent" much better overall, not least because if you're friendly with him he's actually torn about being an opponent. Kreia shapes the PC but I feel like the PC doesn't do enough shaping back. Which is actually one thing I'll give Morrigan over Kreia, Morrigan's cynicism comes from a place where it's the only thing she's really known thanks to her mother. and you can occasionally get her to stop and think in DAO about things (I liked hitting back on her "we should let these idiots die" attitude in the Tower by pointing out she could very well have wound up there had her luck been different). Admittedly she also got additional games to grow unlike Kreia, I can't call her an over-cynical idiot later on.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lotta folks complain about the damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with the guy asking for a handout, but I was a lot angrier with the Jedi Master stuff.

If you spare them, they reward you by attacking you and trying to strip you of the Force again. Kreia shows up, saves you, and kills them all.
If you kill the Jedi Masters when you find them and thus never get this scene, what happens instead is Kreia is angrier with you than she ever is at any other point in the game. enouncing you a supreme failure and disappointment.

I killed them in my one and only run. Kreia made me feel bad for it but knowing what happens if you don't, I'm like "gently caress it." I understand her reasoning - she wanted to be validated and prove to the Jedi she wasn't wrong, but it still sucks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To me, Kreia boils down to an insecure little pissant who's jealous that she's special but not special and has it out for the universe for not making her the main character like she thinks she deserves to be.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

NikkolasKing posted:

Lotta folks complain about the damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with the guy asking for a handout, but I was a lot angrier with the Jedi Master stuff.

If you spare them, they reward you by attacking you and trying to strip you of the Force again. Kreia shows up, saves you, and kills them all.
If you kill the Jedi Masters when you find them and thus never get this scene, what happens instead is Kreia is angrier with you than she ever is at any other point in the game. enouncing you a supreme failure and disappointment.

I killed them in my one and only run. Kreia made me feel bad for it but knowing what happens if you don't, I'm like "gently caress it." I understand her reasoning - she wanted to be validated and prove to the Jedi she wasn't wrong, but it still sucks.

I mean, you do sort of just completely destroy the validation of her life's work among what's left of her peers if you do that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cythereal posted:

To me, Kreia boils down to an insecure little pissant who's jealous that she's special but not special and has it out for the universe for not making her the main character like she thinks she deserves to be.

So Avellone really was just writing himself but in Star Wars.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Kreia's main flaw is that no matter what you do, she asks if you're sure about it.

Gamerz don't like to take sass from their Bideo James.

That's also what makes her so great. It doesn't matter what she thinks of you, as long as you believe in yourself.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

lotta people itt sound like the portal 2 playtesters who cried because glados was too mean to them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wolfsheim posted:

People give KOTOR2 props for turning KOTOR1's happy little family on its head but to Bioware's credits they did include a little bit of conflict. The party has a lot of random asides that are mostly arguing (almost everyone hates Canderous, as you'd expect) but KOTOR1 is held together with duct tape so you might see like...two of these conversations in an entire playthrough

Kinda funny DAI would have a similar party banter bug all those years laters

Oh yeah the fact that there are a ton of one-time things that trigger exactly once so unless you know to bring X character along for that one time you miss out on characterization or sometimes just the few chances to get influence that actually made it into the game (bao-dur says "general" from very far away from a mic in an echo-y bathroom)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Shugojin posted:

(bao-dur says "general" from very far away from a mic in an echo-y bathroom)

love that goober

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I mean, you do sort of just completely destroy the validation of her life's work among what's left of her peers if you do that

They're going to betray me for saving their useless lives. Again.

I don't care about her life's work, they deserve to die.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

lotta people itt sound like the portal 2 playtesters who cried because glados was too mean to them.

A good villain usually has a point beyond "I'm mad that you're the protagonist and I'm not."

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

NikkolasKing posted:

They're going to betray me for saving their useless lives. Again.

I don't care about her life's work, they deserve to die.

You've failed to learn the lessons of both your masters, the jedi order or darth traya......

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cythereal posted:

A good villain usually has a point beyond "I'm mad that you're the protagonist and I'm not."

I think that's a very strange interpretation of Kreia since the Exile is the only person in the game she treats with any level of respect or affection.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

WarpDogs posted:

Honestly Kreia wouldn't make sense if she wasn't a spiteful, cynical misanthrope. Her entire issue is that the Force drives everything, overriding anyone's individuality and will, regardless of their actions. So long as the force exists it's impossible to tell if something someone did was their actual choice, or just the Force manipulating the universe. It's horseshit and would make anyone a cynic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shugojin posted:

Oh yeah the fact that there are a ton of one-time things that trigger exactly once so unless you know to bring X character along for that one time you miss out on characterization or sometimes just the few chances to get influence that actually made it into the game (bao-dur says "general" from very far away from a mic in an echo-y bathroom)

Does restoring the cut content give Bao-Dur... well, anything?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NikkolasKing posted:

I think that's a very strange interpretation of Kreia since the Exile is the only person in the game she treats with any level of respect or affection.

It's almost like she's a manipulative person or something. Weird, I know.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

would kotor2 hold up if i were to try it for the first time in tyool 2022?

about a decade ago, after playing da:o, i tried kotor1 after intense recommendation and its age really showed for me, it seemed to come from that unfortunate transitional era of gaming where the industry was trying bold, new ideas that were fresh at the time, but have since been completely outdone by its successors, leaving these progenitors looking very dusty by comparison

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
KOTOR2 is a slightly better version of KOTOR1 in terms of combat mechanics but pretty much exactly the same otherwise, incredible jank and all

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If you like Star Wars you'll probably enjoy it despite the jank, but if you're ambivalent towards the universe I don't think it provides anything special

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dawgstar posted:

Does restoring the cut content give Bao-Dur... well, anything?

A little bit I think? But iirc it's still hard to get influence with him because he just doesn't have interactions

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

VostokProgram posted:

If you like Star Wars you'll probably enjoy it despite the jank, but if you're ambivalent towards the universe I don't think it provides anything special

Yeah I'd echo this. Kotor 1/2 are well written Star Wars stories with good characters but if you don't like Star Wars they might not work for you.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Dawgstar posted:

So Avellone really was just writing himself but in Star Wars.

It's really interesting to read his thoughts on Kreia. On a whole, he felt like he failed to write her in the way he intended. He wanted a sympathetic Sith Lord, and she was obviously a mouthpiece for his own frustrations with Star Wars lore, but he knew she came across more as annoying and crusty than wise and challenging. He also called the endgame reveal of her motivations hamfisted, which I think most everyone would agree with

Yet she's also one of his favorite characters he's written.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I know this is just a drive by post, but glados works and is so memorable because she is evil and menacing in ways that are *extremely specific* to being an AI in charge of scientific work. She would have been much less interesting if she had been yet another Terminator or Shodan

I don't want Kreia to be nicer, but I do wish her conflict arose from her very unique position and views as opposed to her being a Sith Lord with all that entails

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
GLaDOS and SHODAN are both wonderful in their own ways.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WarpDogs posted:

It's really interesting to read his thoughts on Kreia. On a whole, he felt like he failed to write her in the way he intended. He wanted a sympathetic Sith Lord, and she was obviously a mouthpiece for his own frustrations with Star Wars lore, but he knew she came across more as annoying and crusty than wise and challenging. He also called the endgame reveal of her motivations hamfisted, which I think most everyone would agree with

Yet she's also one of his favorite characters he's written.

Unless you actively hate her, I think most everyone would agrees she's far and away the best character in KOTOR II. What other party member gets even a fraction of the discussion that she does?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Kreia and Durance are pretty unlikeable but they are well written characters. Avellone's best imo.

It's interesting that Durance turned out well at all considering Avellone apparently wrote way too much content for him and Obsidian had to cut it all down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

Unless you actively hate her, I think most everyone would agrees she's far and away the best character in KOTOR II. What other party member gets even a fraction of the discussion that she does?

Bao-Dur, in this topic. But not for why you'd want. 😉