Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Alxprit posted:

Where were all you people saying suboptimal builds are cool when I was talking about how I didn't want to get the Mighty Bow Feather

I think that mighty bow is the exception because of how extremely powerful it is compared to any other armor skill in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Alxprit posted:

Where were all you people saying suboptimal builds are cool when I was talking about how I didn't want to get the Mighty Bow Feather

A suboptimal bow build is something like using the pukei bow with mighty bow feather instead of the rampage bow with mighty bow feather.

Suboptimal builds still have to work on some level or else it's going to be frustrating. Like the guy using the para hammer has still probably specced for paralysis, and didn't just throw random stuff on.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Imagine if the last level of the longsword gauge was locked behind a skill, or the last level of greatsword's charged slash. That's the mighty bow feather, bow is incomplete without it.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Bow is strong enough to do well without the feather. It just wont be as broken than if you ran it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I was playing a bit of bow and it's absolutely busted lmao

Nothing like doing 300 damage hits from a safe distance multiple times while you freely dodge in between, while something like Greatsword has to get in very dangerous range and predict to do their combo

I also play a lot of LBG so I can't really complain but man some of the weapons just got shafted the more I branch out

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Ok so do I have to do all the arenas with every weapon to get the bow feather or?

Everytime I google rise info I get nothing but what seems like the same lovely info regurgitated on a different site ad infinitum. I'm gonna have to figure out how to block game8 or whatever the hell.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Saxophone posted:

Ok so do I have to do all the arenas with every weapon to get the bow feather or?

Everytime I google rise info I get nothing but what seems like the same lovely info regurgitated on a different site ad infinitum. I'm gonna have to figure out how to block game8 or whatever the hell.

No, you need to do Barioth and Rajang a few times for their coins to make the feather.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I only play DB running around like a chihuahua that mainlined a bunch of trucker pills, so I can't relate to this "safe distance" talk.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Saxophone posted:

You just have to do the arenas that give the tokens to make it. I think it's only the 5 star and 7 star ones.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
You only have to beat every arena quest with one weapon for the bow armor piece Beating with every weapon give you a different armor piece with the One additional carve skill.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Johnny Joestar posted:

i do that with melee

and with a bug friend

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I was playing a bit of bow and it's absolutely busted lmao

Nothing like doing 300 damage hits from a safe distance multiple times while you freely dodge in between, while something like Greatsword has to get in very dangerous range and predict to do their combo

I also play a lot of LBG so I can't really complain but man some of the weapons just got shafted the more I branch out

The GL mod I'm running in World allows using charged shelling alongside full burst/poke-shell and it's been interesting just how much easier the game is when you can have just a little more range on a melee weapon. The increased range isn't close to even Bow, but it let me whomp on a Kirin like I've never been able to with a pure melee weapon - it hit me maybe twice and I never had to break off to heal.

The big difference with charged shelling is being able to continue attacking where a full burst build would have to break off or guard or just be a whole lot better than me at precise positioning.

It's always been true that more attack is the best defense since it lets you trip/exhaust/stagger/flinch much faster, which in turn breaks parts faster and makes the hunt easier. Ranged weapons can mostly keep up consistent pressure easier than melee.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

v1ld posted:

The GL mod I'm running in World allows using charged shelling alongside full burst/poke-shell and it's been interesting just how much easier the game is when you can have just a little more range on a melee weapon. The increased range isn't close to even Bow, but it let me whomp on a Kirin like I've never been able to with a pure melee weapon - it hit me maybe twice and I never had to break off to heal.

The big difference with charged shelling is being able to continue attacking where a full burst build would have to break off or guard or just be a whole lot better than me at precise positioning.

It's always been true that more attack is the best defense since it lets you trip/exhaust/stagger/flinch much faster, which in turn breaks parts faster and makes the hunt easier. Ranged weapons can mostly keep up consistent pressure easier than melee.

I progressed the whole game with Hammer, where Solo you have to pick and choose your strikes to get a knockdown at which point you can go all out. Multiplayer is easier (the monster is distracted while you bonk it) but it still requires you to stick very close to a usually attacking monster and try to stun it, and a lot of prediction about where to be and where you'll get flattened.

Then I made an LBG Sticky 3 build and you can literally get the first knockdown of a fight with 1 sticky. That is not an exaggeration. Slugger 3 + slugger dango. But then the monster falls over and you do a lot of damage too! You can do special ammo + spread, you can spam slicing on the head and get more knockdowns.

It is about consistent pressure yeah but even the tools they have are sometimes as strong as melee which is odd to me

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Switch Axe is kinda weird, with the switch skills you can pretty much stay in Sword mode 100% of the time, and the buff from Heavy Slam doesn't even seem worth spending the time to spam wild swings to get up.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

suuma posted:

Switch Axe is kinda weird, with the switch skills you can pretty much stay in Sword mode 100% of the time, and the buff from Heavy Slam doesn't even seem worth spending the time to spam wild swings to get up.

if you have a bunch of rapid morph you just constantly switch between the two forms and it does good damage. A->switch->A->switch etc

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I love counter-heavy playstyle weapons like CB and LS for solo MonHun but honestly the sheer amount of retargeting adn unpredictable movement in multiplayer makes me reach for weapons that don't have the same focus. At least that's an excellent time to break out the gunlance.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Impermanent posted:

I love counter-heavy playstyle weapons like CB and LS for solo MonHun but honestly the sheer amount of retargeting adn unpredictable movement in multiplayer makes me reach for weapons that don't have the same focus. At least that's an excellent time to break out the gunlance.

Just put on a Diversion deco so you get targeted more often (at least I think that's how it works?)

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Vise the Stompy posted:

You only have to beat every arena quest with one weapon for the bow armor piece Beating with every weapon give you a different armor piece with the One additional carve skill.

This is not accurate for the Mighty Bow Feather.

You need Rajang, Barioth, Ace Hunter, and Hunter King coins to craft it. The first two come from their respective arena fights (you can use any weapon available that you'd like). Ace and Hunter King coins are rewards for doing the arenas successfully in certain times. You get more for having higher final scores but you don't have to get an S rank to get them.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I don't have any S ranks, and I got the feather I think after doing each of them once.

Ragequit posted:

I only play DB running around like a chihuahua that mainlined a bunch of trucker pills, so I can't relate to this "safe distance" talk.

Losing the slinger burst dodge from World had me worried, but I think the LR+A move is a pretty good substitute.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Then I made an LBG Sticky 3 build and you can literally get the first knockdown of a fight with 1 sticky. That is not an exaggeration. Slugger 3 + slugger dango. But then the monster falls over and you do a lot of damage too! You can do special ammo + spread, you can spam slicing on the head and get more knockdowns.

If you like this try the HBG version. You get one shot stickies plus massive 800 dmg wyvernblasts which can stun again

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It is about consistent pressure yeah but even the tools they have are sometimes as strong as melee which is odd to me

Yeah, for sure. I was reinforcing your earlier point about the strength of ranged.

Charged Shelling with a Long GL felt more like HBG than the rest of the GL moveset which is very much a melee moveset. There are also built-in boosts to trip build up and who knows what else if you use charged shells in World that make it feel both powerful and safe at the same time, which is that same weird combination of properties for this game.

Impermanent posted:

Offensive Guard feels weird in MP for the same reason - it's useless if the mon isn't attacking you often enough for it to matter.

That GL mod makes it a good MP weapon because charged shelling lets you make up for the mon not being focused on you and you have poke-shell/slap/full burst for when it is.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I miss getting a notification whenever I proc offensive guard, the sound is simply not enough

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I miss getting a notification whenever I proc offensive guard, the sound is simply not enough

The skill Peak Performance has activated.

Peak Performance skill effect has worn off.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Saxophone posted:

It's not like a permanent block but if you add "-site:game8.*" to a particular google search, it'll be excluded from that search.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Guilty posted:

If you like this try the HBG version. You get one shot stickies plus massive 800 dmg wyvernblasts which can stun again

I did make one! Mainly because the Tigrex one also changes into a machine gun which is amazing

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Finished World (Xeno) and was planning to go straight into Iceborne. Do I need to hang around and grind out streamstones and stuff? Those same decos will be there in IB, I would assume.

I did the full HR100 and beyond grind when it came out on PS4, up to and including Kulve, so unless there's a good reason to engage with the World end game I'd much rather move to MR.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

v1ld posted:

Finished World (Xeno) and was planning to go straight into Iceborne. Do I need to hang around and grind out streamstones and stuff?

Nah, just move on to MR.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Ragequit posted:

Same and it's making it difficult to move to something else. I want to gunlance but lancing takes effort and I am weak :negative:

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Built some Deviljho dual blades as I had a bunch of extra mats and they are fun but a bit weak for the MR monsters

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

Same and it's making it difficult to move to something else. I want to gunlance but lancing takes effort and I am weak :negative:

Deep GL playstyle and study:
1. Equip Blast Dash
2. Look in monster's direction - distance doesn't matter
3. Press and hold A button
4. If you do not reach monster, press zR + A until you do
5. Press X + A mid-flight, while still in rocket mode when close to monster
6. Press A
7. Hail Valstrax, reborn as a gunlance

E:

Your Computer posted:

I (still) love the blast dash

https://twitter.com/YourComputerSA/status/1387493756740411400

gunlance has become my go-to "get poo poo done" weapon in this game which is wild

v1ld fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 18, 2021

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

im hoping next Tuesday is 3.0, based on when 2.0 came out...

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

In Training posted:

im hoping next Tuesday is 3.0, based on when 2.0 came out...

Same, but didn't we already have a heads up by now last time? I feel like I remember there being a preview or something.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

I did make one! Mainly because the Tigrex one also changes into a machine gun which is amazing

Ooh can you post your build? I followed this one: https://youtu.be/a312_oq6RvI

Did the meteor cannon build because wasn't sure about HBG, but I'm looking to branch out into more HBGs. I really like the 0 deviation on meteor cannon, helps my terrible aim.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I need some paralysis sacs to make the cat sword and shield. To get them, I hunted a LR volvidon. It gave me an omniplegia sac. Omniplegia sacs are listed as an HR mat, though. I don't remember 100%, but I'm pretty sure all the other mats I got were LR.

Did I do something wrong, or was it just a "lucky" roll?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

I need some paralysis sacs to make the cat sword and shield. To get them, I hunted a LR volvidon. It gave me an omniplegia sac. Omniplegia sacs are listed as an HR mat, though. I don't remember 100%, but I'm pretty sure all the other mats I got were LR.

Did I do something wrong, or was it just a "lucky" roll?

Normally that isn't possible. If you joined an online game for the hunt, maybe it was a helper reward? I've noticed those tend to be drops "scaled" to your level for helping out lower-HR people, though I don't know what particular monster parts you can get.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ah! i did in fact join someone's hunt, so maybe that was it. thanks!

iirc it was a "helper reward" but my brain processed it as a buddy reward. but it couldn't have been a palico thing bc i run with a dog

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 19, 2021

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but how do I unlock the other submarines in Rise?

I have the quest and the items to complete one of them ("Cultural Exchange") but when I go to Rodine there's no option to turn the items in.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Away all Goats posted:

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but how do I unlock the other submarines in Rise?

I have the quest and the items to complete one of them ("Cultural Exchange") but when I go to Rodine there's no option to turn the items in.

If I recall correctly, those quests want you to gather account items. Account items don't get stored in your inventory; you just get research points and credit towards the quest immediately as you gather them.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

It is rather challenging to stay in the air using the IG vs Magnamalo/Zinogre!!! fighting the both of them with an IG is like fighting a slow, drunk horse-fly's battle against an extremely angry house cat and his loving pissed mate

I just wanted to express that to the thread. Rise owns so much and I feel bad having never played MH game before World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

can someone explain how stun works? particularly, stunning monsters (i'm less concerned about being stunned myself). i've decided i want to build for that, so i made an anjanath helm and i only need one more fang+ to get the arms. if i'm understanding correctly, extra points above 3 won't help; is that right?

also, how do i tell if i'm gonna stun a monster? i shield bash them a lot and they get stunned pretty frequently, but i can never tell when it's going to happen because i don't really understand what triggers the effect