Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mod sassinator posted:

renting out pure electric cars seems like a disaster. people used to gas cars and driving until on E and coasting into the nearest gas station on fumes are going to learn a very difficult lesson that ultimately will just cost more for the car renter in the long run.

isnt it also pretty bad for a battery to actually get run all the way to zero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Bread and Roses and Smythe

breadnsmythe

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

totally rational market

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

https://twitter.com/JustSnoopingAr4/status/1452726074136223750?t=vi-DA4YXxIBs6wt9b4hJ9Q&s=19

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

net work error posted:

How do I find an estate sale

I follow signs I see posted when I'm out doing errands. Sometimes housing developments have neighborhood sales. The West Seattle neighborhood have their group garage sale in July iirc and I got so much good poo poo for real cheap.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Tesla
NFT
SPAC
Bitcoin
Zombie Companies
Facebook
Twitter
Boring Company
Magic Cards
Pokemon Cards
Crypto

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

yeah what if

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

net work error posted:

Tesla
NFT
SPAC
Bitcoin
Zombie Companies
Facebook
Twitter
Boring Company
Magic Cards
Pokemon Cards
Crypto

we didn't start the fire

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

net work error posted:

How do I find an estate sale

estatesales.net lists the majority of the worthwhile ones around here.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

yeah on the one hand its very obviously all a giant scam that will explode some day but on the other hand the world has collectively decided that they don't care and have simply projected their own reality on top of it and are simply ignoring anything that doesn't sound good to them, and it turns out that you can just...do that and make a ton of money lol

it really amazes me after the tech bubble and global financial crisis that "fake it till you make it" still has enough power to drive the economy.

at least temporarily I guess.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Norton posted:

i live next to a big retirement community in florida. there are so many estate sales around here you can do a little tour of like 5 in a row every weekend. my mother in law used to go to them a ton so i'd get brought along occasionally. in my experience most of the good stuff has been taken or sold by the family and there are just immense piles of old tacky garbage to sort through. clothes that look like they belong in little house on the prairie, porcelain bunnies, ancient books. i'm sure if you went to enough you'd find some cool things at good price, but in my experience it's usually just tacky decorations and clothes.

I haven't gone to any, but I do get the alerts on EstateSales.net. In the wealthy suburbs of D.C. it is either 30 years' worth of tacky hoarder garbage like you described or else richy rich "downsizing" auctions with stupid amounts of art where like... a framed print of a racist caricature is listed for $1,100.

I'm mostly on the lookout for vintage watches, tools and nice wood furniture, but all the good stuff never makes it to the listings or else is hilariously overpriced.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

net work error posted:

Tesla
NFT
SPAC
Bitcoin
Zombie Companies
Facebook
Twitter
Boring Company
Magic Cards
Pokemon Cards
Crypto

at least with cards you own a thin piece of card stock with some ink on it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

renting out pure electric cars seems like a disaster. people used to gas cars and driving until on E and coasting into the nearest gas station on fumes are going to learn a very difficult lesson that ultimately will just cost more for the car renter in the long run.

a disaster for people renting, not for hertz. If you run out of charge hertz can now charge you a giant new idiot tax. plus you can put batteries on tow trucks that will be able to recharge the Tesla enough to limp it somewhere, so it isn’t adding very much overhead.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol.

quote:

DUBLIN, Ga. (AP) — Federal prosecutors say a Georgia man used a pandemic relief loan to buy a $57,000 Pokemon card.

Court records show a Dublin man is charged with lying on an application for a pandemic economic relief loan about the number of people his business employed and the company’s gross revenue. He faces one count of wire fraud.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-3a28156b438175105c4b54eff495cf9e

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

I haven't gone to any, but I do get the alerts on EstateSales.net. In the wealthy suburbs of D.C. it is either 30 years' worth of tacky hoarder garbage like you described or else richy rich "downsizing" auctions with stupid amounts of art where like... a framed print of a racist caricature is listed for $1,100.

I'm mostly on the lookout for vintage watches, tools and nice wood furniture, but all the good stuff never makes it to the listings or else is hilariously overpriced.

In my experience the richer the house the worse the stuff they're trying to sell. I'm used to seeing people trying to sell used margarine containers for $1 in rich neighborhoods. You're better off going to working class areas.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

oh hey just looked up an old wallet I used 10 years ago to buy a $10 pass to an nzb indexing site for 3 bitcoin, friend gave me 5 and I still ahve the 2 left

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

so long suckers@!@

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

can i have 1?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Arresting the one honest person who used the money to stimulate the economy. Good job government.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

zegermans posted:

oh hey just looked up an old wallet I used 10 years ago to buy a $10 pass to an nzb indexing site for 3 bitcoin, friend gave me 5 and I still ahve the 2 left

Now you can pay the alimony and child support.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Now you can pay the alimony and child support.

I think you have my confused with a different white noise troll I'm still married

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

zegermans posted:

I think you have my confused with a different white noise troll I'm still married

Still haven't signed the papers?

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
oops wrong thread lol

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Estate Auctions are where it's at, I don't know if they still exist now that all the professional auctioneers are probably dead.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj1Koliizag

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

lobster shirt posted:

isnt it also pretty bad for a battery to actually get run all the way to zero?

Yes, but they won't actually let you do that even though the display says 0%. They also only charge the batteries up to around ~80% because it greatly increases the life span.

I believe there have been PR stunts by Tesla where they've unlocked the bottom portion of the battery remotely during evacuations from natural disasters. IIRC it was wildfires in CA but they may have done it for hurricanes too.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Dreylad posted:

you know what. this owns. i love this sham company now. i hope it makes it to 10 trillion.

this is the correct approach. let your brain become a frictionless plane

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

net work error posted:

Tesla
NFT
SPAC
Bitcoin
Zombie Companies
Facebook
Twitter
Boring Company
Magic Cards
Pokemon Cards
Crypto

Its the end of the world and we know it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Trip report:

Just got back from local pizza joint where I chatted with the owner for a bit. He said that his distributor said they the price of chicken and wheat was about to go up because of production/supply chain.

Then he started trying to tell me it was all the fault of California environmental regulations and couldn't really articulate why so take the delusional kulak with a grain of salt.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

net work error posted:

Tesla
NFT
SPAC
Bitcoin
Zombie Companies
Facebook
Twitter
Boring Company
Magic Cards
Pokemon Cards
Crypto

hm...is it actually gen x that is ruining the world?

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Trip report:

Just got back from local pizza joint where I chatted with the owner for a bit. He said that his distributor said they the price of chicken and wheat was about to go up because of production/supply chain.

Then he started trying to tell me it was all the fault of California environmental regulations and couldn't really articulate why so take the delusional kulak with a grain of salt.

He's right, except it's about pork not chicken

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/new-animal-welfare-law-could-drive-pork-prices-californiaand-nationwide-180978387/

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

SPACs are the craziest thing ever. They're literally lootboxes for stock. I give it another year until some newspaper puts out a report about how blatantly obvious it is that insiders trade SPAC shares before the acquisition target is announced, at which point the SEC will announce an investigation that will go nowhere. SPACs will probably fall out of favor if there are ever any rumblings of increased scrutiny, but I doubt they'll ever be rightfully banned.

The fact that any financial regulator lets a SPAC publicly sell shares in an entity that has no actual operations is insane.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

net work error posted:

Tesla
NFT
SPAC
Bitcoin
Zombie Companies
Facebook
Twitter
Boring Company
Magic Cards
Pokemon Cards
Crypto

I sang this in my head to the tune of the Poke Rap

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ahh, I see how rising pork prices could have a spillover on chicken.

The wheat thing is genuinely scary tho. It's like the biggest staple food in our economy up there with corn .

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1452769538018271232?s=20

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gonna be a cold winter.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Euphoriaphone posted:

SPACs are the craziest thing ever. They're literally lootboxes for stock. I give it another year until some newspaper puts out a report about how blatantly obvious it is that insiders trade SPAC shares before the acquisition target is announced, at which point the SEC will announce an investigation that will go nowhere. SPACs will probably fall out of favor if there are ever any rumblings of increased scrutiny, but I doubt they'll ever be rightfully banned.

The fact that any financial regulator lets a SPAC publicly sell shares in an entity that has no actual operations is insane.

I hadn't thought of them that way, I always thought of them as prime evidence that we have a "too much money" problem. people just parking money for a place in line not even knowing what is going to be at the end of the line but they don't care because they are mainly hoping they can sell their spot in line.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Think of them as business warehouses you can buy shares in that are the value of what you park in them, how could that not be a sound financial device?

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Think of them as business warehouses you can buy shares in that are the value of what you park in them, how could that not be a sound financial device?

every failed spac is just a massive capital burn for literal 0 return while successfull spacs just slots into whatever material economic space was formerly occupied by the bought out company/ies essentially changing nothing except money changing hands.

Thankfully this jenga tower is covered in glue and nothing happens ever no matter how many fuckups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there's too many SPACs to choose from. why can't i just give money to someone and trust them to pick the best SPAC?