Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Shippers Find New Supply-Chain Hurdles at Alternate Ports

Unsurprisingly it's not as easy as "just go to another port" - turns out there aren't enough trucks or people working those ports or infrastructure to take the deliveries.

Exerpts from the Article posted:

When Flexport Inc. learned in the past month that an ocean carrier planned to shift cargo from the congested operations at the Port of Los Angeles to little Port Hueneme some 80 miles up the California coast, the freight forwarder found that trucking companies weren’t ready to go along with the changing direction of the imports.

“We talked to trucking carriers throughout the market in L.A. and Oakland and the sense was that they could not support the volume if it moved through Port Hueneme,” said Jason Parker, the company’s head of trucking.

Smaller ports don’t have dozens of ships stacked up off the coast waiting for berth space, as do Los Angeles and the neighboring Port of Long Beach, Calif. The sites have drawn long looks from shippers and freight forwarders, and even brought them chartered ships from the growing number of retailers who are hiring vessels to get around the backups to get goods in stores for the holidays.

But most don’t have enough dock workers to unload cargo or a steady supply of truckers or warehouse space to handle a big jump in cargo volumes, said Anthony Hatch, a rail transportation analyst and principal at ABH Consulting.

“For the drivers and for us it is taxing,” said Paul Brashier, vice president of drayage and intermodal at ITS Logistics, based in Reno, Nev. “When you reposition folks hundreds of miles away and they’re used to running back and forth locally and they’re home every night that’s a definite challenge.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Maybe we should outsource infra to the chinese

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Mad Wack posted:

Shippers Find New Supply-Chain Hurdles at Alternate Ports

Unsurprisingly it's not as easy as "just go to another port" - turns out there aren't enough trucks or people working those ports or infrastructure to take the deliveries.

national guard bing bam boom so easy

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Gorson posted:

national guard bing bam boom so easy

congrats you are now an opinion columnist for bloomberg (the article has about the same level of detail as your post)

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Mad Wack posted:

congrats you are now an opinion columnist for bloomberg (the article has about the same level of detail as your post)

Joe didn't explain it any further so I shouldn't have to either

e:

quote:

There are longer term issues that America needs to ponder. Maybe just-in-time manufacturing should be revisited. Maybe it’s time for a broader industrial policy push to build national capacity in certain components. Maybe the U.S. needs a strategic stockpile of computer chips. It certainly seems like investing more in port infrastructure is worthwhile. And that it’s time to pay truckers a living wage and examine the absurd conditions they operate under.

solid rational thinking, let's see how he follows it up

quote:

But in the short term it’s hard to identify a more basic solution to America’s supply chain crisis — and the inflation it is feeding — than bringing in military trucks and the GIs to drive them.

lmao

Gorson has issued a correction as of 12:44 on Oct 26, 2021

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Good thing the NG is made of people who don't have regular day jobs

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

and let's assume it actually happens, how long before capital decides they like the free labor and that temporary solution becomes permanent?

see also prison labor

child labor

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/economics/status/1452964739483635719?s=20

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

remember to practice your back up posting plans, plenty of vacant office space with electric still on

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Koirhor posted:

remember to practice your back up posting plans, plenty of vacant office space with electric still on

"Will my 1000Wh portable power station burn down the office when unwatched? Asking for a friend"

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

without looking it up I'm assuming their other co-founder has stein in the name BECAUSE THAT'S BLACKSTONE IN GERMAN

Zerg Mans has issued a correction as of 13:35 on Oct 26, 2021

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Edit: ^^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRkE_Gv6ALM

Gorson posted:

Joe didn't explain it any further so I shouldn't have to either

e:

solid rational thinking, let's see how he follows it up

lmao

What chips would you even have a reserve of lol. It's not like oil that can just be refined to other poo poo.

The US strategic i7 and i9 reserve...

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

zegermans posted:

without looking it up I'm assuming their other co-founder has stein in the name

what does that mean

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

fits my needs posted:

what does that mean

blackstone - the one guy's name is schwarzman (black man in german), so I assume the other one is stein (stone in german)

rereading my post, it came off as a bit antisemetic I guess

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Gorson posted:

quote:

But in the short term it’s hard to identify a more basic solution to America’s supply chain crisis — and the inflation it is feeding — than bringing in military trucks and the GIs to drive them.
lmao
*marching straight out of bootcamp*

my life for Number

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

zegermans posted:

without looking it up I'm assuming their other co-founder has stein in the name

Lol :chloe:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

looked it up I was wrong it's a dude named peterson.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

the other guy's name was peter peterson, which is pretty lovely name imo

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Norton posted:

the other guy's name was peter peterson, which is pretty lovely name imo

sounds like a dick

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

crypto leaving its enemies in a confused state!

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

net work error posted:

Edit: ^^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRkE_Gv6ALM

What chips would you even have a reserve of lol. It's not like oil that can just be refined to other poo poo.

The US strategic i7 and i9 reserve...

You'd be surprised: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-programmable_gate_array

It's still a dumb idea though. Those chips are like 10-100x more expensive than ASICs are. So, good chance our MIC will do it I guess :lol:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zegermans posted:

blackstone - the one guy's name is schwarzman (black man in german), so I assume the other one is stein (stone in german)

rereading my post, it came off as a bit antisemetic I guess

might want to edit that into the previous post because "a bit" is really underselling how antisemitic it sounds as is.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

zegermans posted:

sounds like a dick

too bad they aren't named dick dickson and peter peterson

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gorson posted:

and let's assume it actually happens, how long before capital decides they like the free labor and that temporary solution becomes permanent?

see also prison labor

child labor

Imo this is the most obvious and ready thing to happen. The pattern for crashes is that the tax payer bails out the capitalists, so capitalists will start pillaging the government of its labor force just like they pillaged all the money during the housing market crisis. Now, that labor force really only exists in the military and emergency sector. They are going to start using the soldiers and FEMA to patch holes in the labor force.

However, it does create a situation where this labor can't be used for its intended purpose without risking domestic stoppages. For the military, that means they won't have the resources for the extended cold war they keep trying to prosecute, and any climate catastrophes will be exacerbated because they don't have anyone left to man shovels and trucks.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Imo this is the most obvious and ready thing to happen. The pattern for crashes is that the tax payer bails out the capitalists, so capitalists will start pillaging the government of its labor force just like they pillaged all the money during the housing market crisis. Now, that labor force really only exists in the military and emergency sector. They are going to start using the soldiers and FEMA to patch holes in the labor force.

However, it does create a situation where this labor can't be used for its intended purpose without risking domestic stoppages. For the military, that means they won't have the resources for the extended cold war they keep trying to prosecute, and any climate catastrophes will be exacerbated because they don't have anyone left to man shovels and trucks.

How long more will the golden goose of unemployment benefits stays alive?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Note that they're only talking about the national guard in this situation. There's still active duty and reserves to carry on our cold war-esque posturing.

NG is state level reserves. The regular reserves are federal and a separate entity from the NG. And active duty does nothing but wait around for the next war to start, only rarely being used for poo poo the NG does, typically when hit locally with natural disasters like hurricanes. Active doesn't traipse around doing NG poo poo.

If they need people to man trucks and shovels, they have them, but they could also open the backdoor draft and start tapping judges to offer "military or prison" again. Drug possession? Petty theft? Assault? How about 2 years active duty and it's dropped from your record? Because that poo poo happened during the first few years of Iraq/Afghanistan. They could also lower physical standards and take fat Bubbas from Arkansas or Texas, or drop the asvab test score minimum (ex: McNamara's morons).

The military will always have bodies, even if they have to cheat their standards to do it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

you will be drafted to work at walmart. if you refuse you will be imprisoned for treason and your punishment will be to work at walmart.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If they need people to man trucks and shovels, they have them, but they could also open the backdoor draft and start tapping judges to offer "military or prison" again. Drug possession? Petty theft? Assault? How about 2 years active duty and it's dropped from your record? Because that poo poo happened during the first few years of Iraq/Afghanistan.

I had friends during the last years of high school who joined up because of this. Never saw them again.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Rutibex posted:

you will be drafted to work at walmart. if you refuse you will be imprisoned for treason and your punishment will be to work at walmart.

Being impressed into the Target labor force by the National Guard on my way to work

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
forums poster Ze Germans talking about people with -stein in their last name

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

i am harry posted:

I had friends during the last years of high school who joined up because of this. Never saw them again.

Yep. That poo poo happened in the shadows. It was happening before the the Iraq invasion on a smaller scale, but picked up speed after the military realized it needed more bodies for occupying Iraq for most of a decade. I met a few guys on active duty that were offered the option. One was caught hauling pounds of weed, he enlisted for 4 years to dodge prison.

On the plus side, assuming they rode out their contracts and got an honorable discharge, they have a pile of benefits to use. Not much of a carrot though, when you stand a significantly higher chance of dying in a foreign desert.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

net work error posted:

Being impressed into the Target labor force by the National Guard on my way to work

Going out to the bar and waking up handcuffed to a french fryer.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yep. That poo poo happened in the shadows. It was happening before the the Iraq invasion on a smaller scale, but picked up speed after the military realized it needed more bodies for occupying Iraq for most of a decade. I met a few guys on active duty that were offered the option. One was caught hauling pounds of weed, he enlisted for 4 years to dodge prison.

On the plus side, assuming they rode out their contracts and got an honorable discharge, they have a pile of benefits to use. Not much of a carrot though, when you stand a significantly higher chance of dying in a foreign desert.

Some of them returned but they weren't the same people.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I take my chances in a fortified army base than a soap drop prison party, thanks

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1452991172792700941

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

i am harry posted:

Some of them returned but they weren't the same people.

The military is excellent at turning people into sociopaths. Pretty much the entire point of boot camps is to break individual personalities in favor of groupthink. Sure, you learn a variety of skills in boot, but the bigger thing is breaking everyone down to fit the mold of a "good" troop.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah! Jay!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Rutibex posted:

following the edict on maximum prices, president pete buttigeg will use the emergency economic powers act to temporarily eliminate the right of employment transfers. parents will be offered a refundable tax credit to take the children to work so they may more quickly learn their future profession

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The military is excellent at turning people into sociopaths. Pretty much the entire point of boot camps is to break individual personalities in favor of groupthink. Sure, you learn a variety of skills in boot, but the bigger thing is breaking everyone down to fit the mold of a "good" troop.

Also lots of dehumanizing the enemy. Turns out most people don't really like killing other people so it's pretty important to turn the other side into not-people mentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1452998409380667407

"Done" as in the mafia sense of the word?