Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That case was really good, I hope all of them are up to that standard.

I think that Naegi channeling Junko (a thing which was established as possible in the first game with Ishida) would be better writing than "this is a new character we've never seen before who's imitating a living and a dead character from the previous game just to gently caress with you, the player". Apart from anything else the game really has to tell us what happened to the rest of the cast from DR1, and having them appear in the game would be the easiest way to do that.

I'll be honest, as awesome an idea as Ishida was, from a storytelling standpoint and what was actually done with it it was a hot mess. There's no real evidence he didn't just go super-insane and I don't recall a whole hell of a lot happening that wouldn't've happened without the Ishida bit.

I'd be perfectly happy not seeing the 'channeling' thing happen again. Also the 'imitation' thing is basically pure meta, when Nagito starts doing things he's a dramatically different character from both Naegi and Junko. All that stuff was just setup for the Trial 1 'oh he's loving batshit' reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Ndi posted:

What really got me about Hanamura's execution is that he probably figured out what was coming long before it happened. He's a SHSL cook, after all. The idea of knowing you're going to be fried alive is horrifying.

Did monobear ever actually say they were going to have ironic deaths? He said something about "an execution fit for a super highschool level cook" but I think the only reason we knew it was going to be a themed execution was because of DR1. I think Hanamura just thought he was going to get blown to bits by missles.

mitkitty
Nov 2, 2012
Oh wow, that was...that was pretty much one of the saddest things I've seen in a while. Everything about this trial is giving me the impression that DR2 is going to be much more intense than I expected.

Also, is the singer in the execution video saying "reach for the stars," and if so, what's up with that?

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

Ndi posted:

It's probably not significant, but this instantly reminded me of the way Hinata described himself at the start of the game.

I can remember Nagito having a few lines how he and Hinata were alike, too. I'm not sure where the game is going with it, but I'm intrigued. I'm also completely convinced Nagito's memories are intact. It'd explain how he was able to manipulate Hanamura so easily.

What really got me about Hanamura's execution is that he probably figured out what was coming long before it happened. He's a SHSL cook, after all. The idea of knowing you're going to be fried alive is horrifying.

Naegi was also in awe of hopes peak at the beginning of DR 1, too. Although I don't buy the Nagito is Naegi theory.
No, I just think that it's pretty safe to assume that any high school kid in this universe who isn't themselves a SHSL (Blank)is in awe of those who do get into hopes peak, and thus ecstatic when their otherwise 'worthless' or normal existence is granted the opportunity to be ranked among them through sheer luck who knows what for Hinata.

Nagito is a well done character, he's like the perversion of everything the first game spent the entirety of it's last chapter making sure we knew, and indeed that of many other anime which believe that hope and justice is the ultimate virtue.

Don't ever die dude. Media needs more of your twisted meta narrative.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Did monobear ever actually say they were going to have ironic deaths? He said something about "an execution fit for a super highschool level cook" but I think the only reason we knew it was going to be a themed execution was because of DR1. I think Hanamura just thought he was going to get blown to bits by missles.

I think he realized what was coming up when he got covered in frying batter.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

mitkitty posted:

Also, is the singer in the execution video saying "reach for the stars," and if so, what's up with that?

I think that those are the same vocals from Mr. Monobear's Lesson.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Ouch, what an execution. Shrimp at least have the luxury of being dead, and vegetables of not having a nervous system.

By the way, anyone interested in reenacting the murder party should definitely look here.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

likecnsnnts posted:

Splinter Cellulite

Yeah I don't usually make avatars especially not from animes but I couldn't help it

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Investigations are going to be interesting with Komaeda around. He's got a pretty decent head on his shoulders, and he's sincerely cheering for their success, but they don't trust him at all. He's going to be positioning himself to help with the investigation, and I'm curious to see whether the others will accept.

And also, if it turns out we could only see Komaeda free time events the first time we had a chance, before the party set-up and before "dammit Komaeda what is wrong with you," I am going to be so mad at you guys. So mad.

likecnsnnts posted:

Splinter Cellulite

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Yeah I don't usually make avatars especially not from animes but I couldn't help it

Some sort of vibration effect on the sfx in the first image here, followed by a transition to the second image, might make a really awesome avatar.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Looks like their going all out for the execution scenes now. I think they dropped the paper doll look in everyone faces, those really made the 3rd and 5th execution scenes so disturbing.

thelarue
Mar 5, 2013
With the way Nagito seems to be a fanboy AND crazy... I wonder if he is actually a REAL fanboy of DR1. Now, that sounds crazy, but remember that the events of DR1 were broadcast all over the world(or just Japan?) and its possible that somehow Nagito set-up some DR1-esque situation. I really have no idea how he set it up, or where we got the DR2 cast (including Togami), but that is my bet. This takes place after DR1 and Nagito must be dying to live in it.

Or he is just pants on head crazy.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Twiddy posted:

I think my favorite part about Nagito is that none of the poo poo he spouts out is actually nonsense. It's well known that competition leads to a drive to show one's strength, and that seemingly opposite concepts cannot exist without the other. It's trivial that there's no hope without despair, and the only way to show the strength of hope is to put it against absolute despair. None of this is out of place or startling, it reads like a simple interpretation of the last story.

What's completely and utterly hosed is how devoted Nagito is to showing off this hope. He's so in love with the idea of hope and its power that he's willingly helping an insane mastermind torture some kids. An example of someone who gets so wrapped up in their ideas and goals that they completely forget the actual impact of their actions. He's so insanely in love with a good thing that he's destroying everything it represents trying to show it off.

It's certainly a lot more interesting than an rear end in a top hat who just makes life more miserable because he's in love with despair.

The additionally disturbing possibility is that, based on the DR0 story thus far, Nagito may be basically following in the footsteps of Hope's Peak. The school seems more broadly disturbed than Nagito is, obsessed with the study and development of the SHSL regardless of the costs. That makes his actions resonate with both the other DR stories.

Just to make the whole thing more delicious still, Nagito's clearly willing to die in order to inspire the others to greater acts of hope. And if any of the others kill him, that either condemns the killer or all the other students AND gives Nagito precisely what he wants. If, on the other hand, they don't kill him, he's a constant threat to them. And he's still likely to get what he wants. He's also a potential accomplice for the next murderer, even if the next murderer doesn't want one!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

From a gameplay point I think the climax interface's are improved but the total lack of sound effects (I think there may of been one) made it feel really stiff and less "alive".

In the first game if someone knocked on a door you'd hear 3 loud knocks followed by the victim gulping in fear. Here it's just kinda silent

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

thelarue posted:

With the way Nagito seems to be a fanboy AND crazy... I wonder if he is actually a REAL fanboy of DR1. Now, that sounds crazy, but remember that the events of DR1 were broadcast all over the world(or just Japan?) and its possible that somehow Nagito set-up some DR1-esque situation. I really have no idea how he set it up, or where we got the DR2 cast (including Togami), but that is my bet. This takes place after DR1 and Nagito must be dying to live in it.

Or he is just pants on head crazy.

The broadcast would have happened after he and the others initially entered the school, as such it would probably have broadcast during the time skip. Think about it, why would students still be going to hope's peak after it had already broadcasted, the place would be immediately shut down and burned with fire... and no, I doubt he retains any memories, I don't see any reason for Monobear to have kept his memories going by the information we have.

Alberenza fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 16, 2013

Ndi
Oct 9, 2012

The answer is small bombs!

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I meant he'd be able to tell because of what he'd been shot with. Since he's a chef, being covered in butter and flour would instantly make him think of fried foods.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

From a gameplay point I think the climax interface's are improved but the total lack of sound effects (I think there may of been one) made it feel really stiff and less "alive".

In the first game if someone knocked on a door you'd hear 3 loud knocks followed by the victim gulping in fear. Here it's just kinda silent

I thought something felt off about the climax interference, and I think this was it exactly. The rest of the trial was handled extremely well, so it's not a big complaint.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Patware posted:

I'll be honest, as awesome an idea as Ishida was, from a storytelling standpoint and what was actually done with it it was a hot mess. There's no real evidence he didn't just go super-insane and I don't recall a whole hell of a lot happening that wouldn't've happened without the Ishida bit.
It's true that the whole Ishida went nowhere at all in DR1, which is why I was hoping it'd have some relevance to DR2 (and possibly relevance to the setting as a whole). It just seems odd that they'd put a sequence in like that which had no relevance to any trial or mystery when there were few wasted plot elements in DR.

Patware posted:

I'd be perfectly happy not seeing the 'channeling' thing happen again. Also the 'imitation' thing is basically pure meta, when Nagito starts doing things he's a dramatically different character from both Naegi and Junko. All that stuff was just setup for the Trial 1 'oh he's loving batshit' reveal.
He is different from Naegi and Junko, but he seems like a plausible mix of their personalities. For example he has Junko's schizoid tendencies and desire to make people feel despair (as well as the googly eyes), but his general mannerisms when talking to people are more like Naegi's and he ultimately wants hope to triumph.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I doubt there was any actual channeling involved in Ishida. That was just Ishimaru losing it, and the changes in appearance were purely a stylistic cue for the player, hence no one in the game pointing them out, and his appearance going back to normal postmortem. The purpose of Ishida was probably to do the same thing Maizono did: break narrative immunity. He just underwent a major character change, was still in the middle of a character arc in general, and got a whole set of new poses. You don't just kill off a character without doing anything with any of that.

So they did. I knew I was surprised when he didn't even make it. The closest the series gotten to actual supernatural elements is Hagakure's rather vague 20% accuracy anyway, so I'd rather they not bring them in now.

And speaking of new poses, I didn't notice Souda had a new crying pose until the reread, since it was so similar to another of his poses at a glance.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 16, 2013

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

I'm a bit miffed that Togami "let" himself get killed, provided Nanami's theory is correct.

I mean, all he had to do was keep Nagito away from the Knife until the lights came back on.

That aside, Jeez, this was brutal. Not so much the actual method of execution, but being cooked alive on top of that back story is just...sad. None of the actual murderers in DR1 were really "redeemable." I guess Hanamura isn't so much either, but a guy who loves his mom like that can't be too bad a guy.

That was a fantastic first trial.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
Well, now I feel like a jerk for that fan-art of him being bitten on the crotch by a half dozen poisonous snakes for irony's sake.

I'm with everyone who says him trying to reclaim some honor by growing a spine just to have his last request being completely ignored was the harshest part.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Did the game ever establish what would happen if a single person voted wrong? Like, what would happen if everybody but one person (well two if you count the killer) voted for the right person?

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

DrManiac posted:

Did the game ever establish what would happen if a single person voted wrong? Like, what would happen if everybody but one person (well two if you count the killer) voted for the right person?

I'm pretty sure in the last game, Ishimuru didn't vote for Mondo. It's majority vote, it seems.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

DrManiac posted:

I was under the impression that it was majority rules, since obviously someone isn't going to vote for themself.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
This was an interesting update, and that execution was pretty brutal, but I really don't like Hanamura's motive behind the murder. I can believe the part about wanting to stop Nagito, but the whole bit about his mother and wanting to go home just comes out of nowhere, and just seems like a last second attempt to get the player to sympathize with him. Yeah, it says he liked his mom earlier in his profile, but we're never told anything about her at all, let alone her being prone to sickness. I wouldn't be bothered by that so much, if anything about that was told to us earlier. At the very least, this trial was a lot more interesting than DR1's first trial, and I hope they keep that up for the rest of the game.

BattleJenkins
Feb 21, 2013
Hanamura was pretty gross and terrible for basically the whole game up to this point, and from the start I was rooting for him to get knocked out pretty early. While his revealed motivations were pretty tragic, I can't really bring myself to be sympathetic for him, since he knew he'd be responsible for everyone's deaths when he decided to act as he did. Sick mother or no, he made the judgement that his own personal connections were more important than the lives of fifteen other people (who likely also have cherished family members and reasons for wanting to return home, with the probable exception of Nagito "Murder your Friends for Hope" Komaeda).

If Hanamura was actually a sympathetic character the entire time instead of in just the last few minutes, this probably would have hit me a lot harder. Instead, his predatory attitude throughout the entire game was, to me, indicative of someone who wouldn't have any problem sacrificing fifteen people for their own ends.

So, yeah! While nobody deserves to be roasted alive, I got no tears for Hanamura.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DrManiac posted:

Did the game ever establish what would happen if a single person voted wrong?

Monobear calls them out on it, like when Ishimaru voted for Togami and not Mondo.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope Nagito lasts for the entire game. He's fantastically creepy the way he is now and keeping him alive while unfucking his head would make for a good game-spanning arc.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Sindai posted:

I hope Nagito lasts for the entire game. He's fantastically creepy the way he is now and keeping him alive while unfucking his head would make for a good game-spanning arc.

Me too. The biggest drawback with Syo was that we had to share her with Fukawa. This time we get a proven-to-be-insane maniac for the entire game! :toot:

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Dr. Fetus posted:

This was an interesting update, and that execution was pretty brutal, but I really don't like Hanamura's motive behind the murder. I can believe the part about wanting to stop Nagito, but the whole bit about his mother and wanting to go home just comes out of nowhere, and just seems like a last second attempt to get the player to sympathize with him. Yeah, it says he liked his mom earlier in his profile, but we're never told anything about her at all, let alone her being prone to sickness. I wouldn't be bothered by that so much, if anything about that was told to us earlier. At the very least, this trial was a lot more interesting than DR1's first trial, and I hope they keep that up for the rest of the game.

Who's to say none of that comes up in Hanamura's free time events? (I say, not knowing what actually happens in those things I button-spammed through since I don't know Japanese. :shobon:)

I don't know how careful I have to be when there are things like this I can genuinely speculate on, since I want to have people think I haven't played the game, because I have. Is it against the rules to comment like this, or should I just make sure to have disclaimers when I do?

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

This series as a whole has a bad habit of leaving anything motive-related for after the trials. There was nothing hinting that Mondo was torn up by the second motive, that he killed his brother (that his brother was even dead if you don't see his free-time events), that him killing Chihiro was a borderline accident. Nor does it hint that Celes's motive was so stupid (vampire mansion :downs:), or that Sakura wrote a suicide letter.

Hanamura's motive did come out of nowhere at the last minute, but that's not something exclusive to him. It's why I don't even bother trying to consider motives beforehand.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

CandyCrazy posted:

This series as a whole has a bad habit of leaving anything motive-related for after the trials. There was nothing hinting that Mondo was torn up by the second motive, that he killed his brother (that his brother was even dead if you don't see his free-time events), that him killing Chihiro was a borderline accident. Nor does it hint that Celes's motive was so stupid (vampire mansion :downs:), or that Sakura wrote a suicide letter.

Those would have made the culprit obvious though.

mosfrompa
Feb 20, 2013

Joenen posted:

That aside, Jeez, this was brutal. Not so much the actual method of execution, but being cooked alive on top of that back story is just...sad. None of the actual murderers in DR1 were really "redeemable." I guess Hanamura isn't so much either, but a guy who loves his mom like that can't be too bad a guy.

Hitler loved his mom a good bit. I'm pretty sure her death was a contributing factor to his depression (along with not making it into the art school). :v:

This execution doesn't compare to the ones from the last game for me. As over the top as some of the other ones were, the helicopter and missiles just looked silly to me. Also if you look at Alter Ego's execution, Leon's execution and to some extent Mondo's execution, the strikes were swift and the rhythm made it feel so much more like overkill. I expected something obnoxious with being slow roasted on a spit and suddenly fried so half way between what actually happened and Celes's execution. The concept was alright but the execution just fell flat for me.
I'm not saying that I look forward to watching cartoon characters get tortured to death or anything. :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

orenronen posted:

Perhaps you should even call me a "Super High-school Level Super High-school Level Fanboy"!

orenronen, a year and a half ago posted:

"[...]"Super High-school Level Fanboy"[...]"

Of course! Nagito isn't Naegi possessed by Junko, he's Naegi possessed by Yamada! It's just like his japanese animes!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

mosfrompa posted:

Hitler loved his mom a good bit. I'm pretty sure her death was a contributing factor to his depression (along with not making it into the art school). :v:
:godwin:

Seriously dude, can we not make Hitler comparisons to a fictional anime teenager? I don't like Hanamura either and am glad he's gone straight away, but he obviously just got caught up in the frantic turn of events. Nagito egging him on didn't exactly make things better. A more rational and sensible person would tell the others, but Hanamura wasn't thinking rationally. And he paid the price for trying to be the big hero.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
That was pretty sad, but at the same time, Hanamura DID intentionally kill and then attempt to get away with it, knowing full well the consequences should he succeed. He was willing to let 14 others die. Sure, it was so he could see if his mother was alright, but that's...not an excuse. I'm honestly relieved it was him and not one of the really interesting ones like Peko, Souda, or Nagito. SPEAKING OF NAGITO, JESUS gently caress WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT BOY? Going forward, it's entirely possible the next couple of murders could also be planned by Nagito to be executed by someone else. And there's not much they can do about it, outside of imprisoning him. They might do that, but I doubt it would stop him. Dude is batshit insane, no two ways about it. Don't really care precisely the nature of his insanity.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

CandyCrazy posted:

Hanamura's motive did come out of nowhere at the last minute, but that's not something exclusive to him. It's why I don't even bother trying to consider motives beforehand.

Have you ever read a mystery? The why always comes after you find out who, and how, and force the confession. Sometimes not even then if they toss the answer in a bottle into the sea and shoot themselves.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Hanamura did the killing, but it feels like Nagito is the murderer here. Hmm.

Nothing is going to be the same on the island. Nagito succeeded in his plan. Hanamura's motivation for killing is surely to inspire the others. They too have people or things waiting for them. Waiting Monobear out is not an option for everyone. Even without further input from Monobear, there will be more killings. I suspect only Nagito fully understands the repercussions of Hanamura's actions. Of course, if this Monobear is anything like the last, better (worse?) motivation for killing is pop up.

I don't particularly mind Hanamura's motivation myself. The first game didn't reveal the motivations of the killers until the very end, and for like half of them, people still felt sympathetic. I'm not particularly bothered by Hanamura's motivation, his real motivation, being revealed until the very end. It is basically the first motivation Monobear set up for the students: the desire to go home coupled with two years worth of amnesia. I do feel a little sorry for him; maybe because I didn't hate his character?

Anyway, it is bit amusing to me that Hanamura was both Leon and Maizono in this crime. And Nagito was both Togami and Kirigiri (and Syo and Fukawa and Junko and Naegi, even, . . . maybe comparing people to the first game based on their roles is kind of dumb?).

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 16, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

So, I know that he is designed to be misleadingly similar to Naegi and his name is an anagram, yes, yes, we've covered this. There is no e in his last name. It's Nagito. Grant Chunsoft what very little degree of separation they managed.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

lotus circle posted:

A more rational and sensible person would tell the others, but Hanamura wasn't thinking rationally. And he paid the price for trying to be the big hero.

Yeah, back when Monobear showed up, I figured Hanamura was too in denial about everything to even consider murder.

In retrospect, the fact that he was so deep in denial to begin with should've been a huge warning sign, like Hinata said. Hanamura was desperately trying to not believe what he'd been told, and desperate people do crazy things. :smith:

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...
The absolute worst thing about that execution is that after I saw it I went to lunch with a friend, let them pick a restaurant and sure enough it was tonkatsu and I really couldn't tell her why I just didn't feel like tonkatsu today or anymore at all.
I'd been looking forward to people's reactions to it because I played ahead of the LP in my copy of the game but I've stopped now to let it catch up as I want to play at the same pace as it. Now we're at the same point again! :toot: ...and I have no idea what will happen next. But I guess one of those other islands will open.

I wonder if Nagito will see any major character development or if he'll just be el psycho for the duration of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
That was just.. just... wow. I can't believe I ended up feeling sorry for Hanamura. And I get the feeling Nagito is going to be around for awhile to make matters worse. :negative:

This was definitely far better than the first game's trial, that's for sure, both in terms of emotional impact and complexity of the case.

• Locked thread